Lions' O Line for 2014 - Montreal shows how to build an OL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions need to get a hold of Bret Anderson and ask him to talk to Watkins about a fire fighting/football career.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

If Watkins doesn't possess the "fire in his belly" to play any more, then it doesn't matter that he was once drafted in the 1st round of the NFL...he won't succeed...there is no comparing the CFL and the NFL, they are VERY different entities, but the CFL, by no means, is some push over league...if Watkins isn't absolutely in LOVE with the idea of being a pro tackle for the Lions, he will morph into a turnstile...to me, that article sums it up...now let's look forward to the draft...there are 3 OLinemen that are long term CFL starters and Wally needs to get one of them in the first round...with that pick, a healthy Kirby Fabien, Matt Norman and a newly signed Hunter Steward, the Lions OLine is in good shape for a long while...

But this notion from Wally that he can somehow fill the RT position with a combo of Fabien and Steward is asking for trouble...not that either can't rise to the challenge and succeed, but it opens up big holes and problems for the interior of the line...and this is something that Matt Norman DOES NOT NEED...surrounding Norman with two excellent young prospects and 2 veterans is the right play...import RT Wally, at least for this coming year...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Danny Watkins was a physical phenom. Not a guy who lived and breathed football since he was a young boy.

He was something of a gamble as a first round pick in the NFL.

It seems to me that he may not have that fire in the belly that is necessary for the extremely intense contact of pro football.

If that is the case, then he will not cut it in the CFL either.
I agree, MLF, that the "fire in the belly" is necessary. If it ain't there, Danny Watkins might not be able to play well for us.

But with less scrutiny in the CFL, less insane intensity, less fanaticism, he may find enough love for the game to play well for us. We will see. Keep after him, Wally. Get him to hang around a bit, check things out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
New lineman thrown to the B.C. Lions

B.C. works out Hunter Steward until he loses his lunch, then introduces him to media

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province March 26, 2014

There will come a day when Hunter Steward truly comes to understand what it is like to play three-down football, when the newest member of the B.C. Lions is lined up on the offensive line and has to block a raging all-star defensive behemoth like Khalif Mitchell or Almondo Sewell.

But why wait until training camp and you officially become a rookie when you can have your welcome-to-the-CFL moment in your first full day on the job?

Steward had not even had the chance to express the relief that comes from signing a first pro contact Wednesday when the Lions wanted to take him out for a small test drive at their Surrey practice facility.

More interested than most was offensive line coach Dan Dorazio, a man who helped build his reputation once upon a time by getting new recruits to pull cars with a rope as a means to test strength.

Dorazio and the Lions got the most out of Steward. They got so much he had to leave some of his partially digested lunch on the artificial turf.

Doubled over in obvious discomfort for several minutes as he was left alone to contemplate his new workplace existence, Steward had less than an hour to clean up before he was presented to a media gathering to express how happy he was to be here. Welcome to the pros, indeed.

“Guess my coffee didn’t sit too well,” said Steward, beads of sweat running down his forehead after his first television interrogation as a pro. “I’m thinking, ‘I better get started (increasing his training regimen) right now’.”

It was indeed a rough welcome, especially for someone who only four months had joined the player he’ll be asked to protect, quarterback Travis Lulay, on a list of Lions who have repaired labrum damage during the off-season.

But given the overall state of depth on the protection unit, not to mention the expectations that come from actually now having their sixth overall pick from the 2013 CFL college draft on the roster, the Lions apparently wanted to know more about Steward sooner than later.

It was the December surgery that led general manager Wally Buono to think Steward would jettison his upcoming NFL draft eligibility after his lightning-quick, 22-game college career as an offensive starter at Liberty (Va.) University.

But the sheer size of Steward (6-foot-6, 323 pounds) is enough in the middle of the off-season for the Lions to at least consider experimenting with him at right tackle, which would make him the first non-import since Cory Mantyka and Sherko Haji-Rasouli to play the position.

“He moves very well for a big man,” said Buono, who might be really convinced to make the move if he could make football fun again for West Kelowna lineman Danny Watkins, who has suggested through his agent he might sit out after two failed NFL attempts.

Even though the Lions also have an ex-CIS lineman who played tackle, Kirby Fabien, making the transition to a non-import a realistic move, it’s far more likely Steward will start by pushing veteran guard Patrick Kabongo.

Yet just having Steward anywhere on a depth chart is a plus if you’re a CFL team that has lost four Canadian linemen off the roster since last season, another painful reminder that just three of the team’s last 15 offensive line draft picks have ever played a regular season game for the Lions.

Until the CFL this year changed draft rules for selecting NCAA redshirt juniors and with teams forbidden from so much as even making contact with a player, getting a book on Steward was tough.

Not only is he the biggest 22-year-old on the roster, Steward is by far also the most nomadic, born in Calgary but also having lived with his military family in Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Victoria, Wainwright, Alta., and Virginia Beach, Va.

“I don’t even know what to put as my hometown,” Stewart said.

“You’d done the homework,” said Kelly Bates, the Lions draft coordinator who kept track of Steward and was responsible for the pick. “You felt you were going to have a good chance to get him. But it’s like drafting with one eye open. There is obviously a sense of relief.”

A different sense of relief was evident after Steward’s first day with his legendary position coach.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

But why wait until training camp and you officially become a rookie when you can have your welcome-to-the-CFL moment in your first full day on the job?

Steward had not even had the chance to express the relief that comes from signing a first pro contact Wednesday when the Lions wanted to take him out for a small test drive at their Surrey practice facility.

More interested than most was offensive line coach Dan Dorazio, a man who helped build his reputation once upon a time by getting new recruits to pull cars with a rope as a means to test strength.

Dorazio and the Lions got the most out of Steward. They got so much he had to leave some of his partially digested lunch on the artificial turf.

Doubled over in obvious discomfort for several minutes as he was left alone to contemplate his new workplace existence, Steward had less than an hour to clean up before he was presented to a media gathering to express how happy he was to be here. Welcome to the pros, indeed.

“Guess my coffee didn’t sit too well,” said Steward, beads of sweat running down his forehead after his first television interrogation as a pro. “I’m thinking, ‘I better get started (increasing his training regimen) right now’.”
Old school nonsense. Sign the Kid. He is relaxed and happy. Feed him. Then take him out to the field and make him puke. :dizzy:

Now put a million things into his brain so that he can't tell his right foot from his left, and expect him to have calmness, vision and focus.

"pull cars with a rope as a means to test strength"? Nonsense.
It was indeed a rough welcome, especially for someone who only four months had joined the player he’ll be asked to protect, quarterback Travis Lulay, on a list of Lions who have repaired labrum damage during the off-season.
Rough welcome? Bizarre. "Let's get at this Kid, just off the bus, and teach him the pro game." [My words}
It was the December surgery that led general manager Wally Buono to think Steward would jettison his upcoming NFL draft eligibility after his lightning-quick, 22-game college career as an offensive starter at Liberty (Va.) University.
That was a good move.
But the sheer size of Steward (6-foot-6, 323 pounds) is enough in the middle of the off-season for the Lions to at least consider experimenting with him at right tackle, which would make him the first non-import since Cory Mantyka and Sherko Haji-Rasouli to play the position.
“He moves very well for a big man,” said Buono, who might be really convinced to make the move if he could make football fun again for West Kelowna lineman Danny Watkins, who has suggested through his agent he might sit out after two failed NFL attempts.
Is football fun for Dean Valli? Make it fun for these guys. Keep it simple and physical.
Yet just having Steward anywhere on a depth chart is a plus if you’re a CFL team that has lost four Canadian linemen off the roster since last season, another painful reminder that just three of the team’s last 15 offensive line draft picks have ever played a regular season game for the Lions.
That is an abysmal record of drafting and "developing."
“You’d done the homework,” said Kelly Bates, the Lions draft coordinator who kept track of Steward and was responsible for the pick. “You felt you were going to have a good chance to get him. But it’s like drafting with one eye open. There is obviously a sense of relief.”

A different sense of relief was evident after Steward’s first day with his legendary position coach.
Our success drafting NI O Linemen is pretty dayum good since former pro O Lineman Kelly Bates joined the Staff. :thup:

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow. Was the workout that hard or was it a combo of nerves and maybe what he ate and not ready to play? Old school is right.

Dorazio became famous with his two mean tackles who did more to change the view of OL in the CFL than the coaching did. Murphy and Jimenez were media darlings and both could play. I wonder why they couldn't develop another OC as they had tried to banish Angus some years earlier with the clue to Angus that he was no longer invited to off season meetings and Valli was to be the one. I found that a bit odd how they did it.

I used to find that when my soccer team played games in summer league right after work it was never clear if all were going to be 100% at top form given that they came from work, were rushed and did not have the weekend game day regime where they ate the right things at the right time. Not eating in the car to the park and rushed with a limited warm up and chance to shift mindset.

The McGill kid had his own workout. What a brainy guy. I'd have thought that the CFL would be a better place to make sure he can still pursue his desire to be a doctor than the NFL. He seemed first focused on the NFL but said he was open to the CFL. Nice interview. I read his website. He's a smart one in school.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the pros, kid
cromartie
Hall of Famer

In a way, I feel bad for Watkins. He was drafted into a bad situation in Philadelphia and ended up in a worse one in Miami. What he really needs is to come home, be around friends and family and get his mojo back. If being here can invigorate Kabongo, I would think it would do the same for Watkins. I would imagine he's earned a pension.
Last edited by cromartie on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm pleased that we got Hunter Steward signed and early. Offensive line was a target area for improvement and hopefully Steward will develop into a very good CFL offensive lineman.

He's big and tall, big wingspan, didn't give up a sack in 2013 and only 5 pressures as Liberty's best offensive lineman, was a conference all-star. He is a powerful straight ahead blocker and has good pass blocking skills. He plays high (not that kind of high) and will need development but he has some good tools to start a pro career.

I agree with cromartie's comments re" Watkins. Will he ever become a Leo? One can hope.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Watkins ...

As cromartie and Blitz have commented, I also sympathize with Danny Watkins.

I hadn't thought about the fact he went from Philadelphia to the Dolphins, that hellhole for young O Linemen. That environment would turn off most any player. I would not be surprised if Watkins went through hazing and harassment there as did Jonathan Martin. Richie Incognito seems to have some loose wires, nuts and bolts. Steroid abuse? Rage? Bullying. (The video of the 310 pound monster raging in the pub is startling).

And if we ever signed Watkins, no making him puke during a workout before the press conference. Please. Not fun. A head shaker.

Hawkballer 14
Champion

I imagine that the kid Steward was not expecting to be run into the ground on the day that he signs his contract. Show up, sign his name, handle a couple interviews...no big deal.

How funny would it be if he tweaked something Wednesday and it lingered through training camp and the whole 2014 season? Good job Wally/Mike/Dan for being old-school meatheads and trying to prove a point. :clown:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Yet just having Steward anywhere on a depth chart is a plus if you’re a CFL team that has lost four Canadian linemen off the roster since last season, another painful reminder that just three of the team’s last 15 offensive line draft picks have ever played a regular season game for the Lions. - Lowell Ullrich
That is an abysmal record of drafting and "developing."
Not sure where he's getting his numbers. I looked back and found 16 picks starting with the 2005 draft with 8 of them having played regular season games for BC. Some were only brief careers as Lions in backup roles but nonetheless still played.

By Year
2005 - Pierre Tremblay (17th overall), Karl Ortmanns (52nd)
2006 - Dean Valli (6th overall), Jon Hameister-Reis (15th) - injuries, not lack of development derailed what could've been a very solid CFL career as a starter for JHR.
2007 - Andrew Jones (32nd), Kyle Kirkwood (40th)
2008 - Justin Sorensen (5th), Hubert Buydens (46th)
2009 - Matt Morencie (21st) - wasn't he one of those guys who was returning to school only to get raided by another team?
2010 - Danny Watkins (4th), Adam Baboulas (41st) - Watkins of course went the NFL route but who was to know a year later he'd vault into a 1st rd NFL pick. Lions still might get something here which is a lot more than the Eagles can say.
2011 - Yannick Sage (37th)
2012 - Kirby Fabien (7th), Matt Norman (22nd)
2013 - Hunter Steward (7th), Matt Albright (43nd) - lost in expansion draft before we could find out if he'd develop or not

By Rounds:
1 - 5 picks, 3 played (Fabien, Sorensen, Valli) with Steward soon to make it 4 and a possibility Watkins could make it 5 out of 5.
2 - 2 picks, 1 played (Hameister-Reis)
3 - 2 picks, 1 played (Norman)
4 - 1 pick, 1 played (Jones)
5 - 2 picks, 1 played (Albright)
6 - 4 picks, 1 played (Baboulas)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Count me as one who doesn't get the Dorazio bashing......he only works with the talent that's given to him (he can't make Valli any sharper)......and is very well known on both sides of the border for his innovative techniques (ie tieing Kabongo's hands to stop him from holding) and dedication.......many players have commented on his teachings being the reason why they've had a career in the CFL at all.

As for the Hunter Steward puking incident....all that was reported was that it happened....not that the Lions over-worked him or mistreated him......Steward, himself, blamed it on the coffee he had just before the workout. IMHO, nerves played a part.....impromptu auditioning for your future employers can be unnerving.
Lloyd
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Not sure where he's getting his numbers. I looked back and found 16 picks starting with the 2005 draft with 8 of them having played regular season games for BC. Some were only brief careers as Lions in backup roles but nonetheless still played.

By Year
2005 - Pierre Tremblay (17th overall), Karl Ortmanns (52nd)
2006 - Dean Valli (6th overall), Jon Hameister-Reis (15th) - injuries, not lack of development derailed what could've been a very solid CFL career as a starter for JHR.
2007 - Andrew Jones (32nd), Kyle Kirkwood (40th)
2008 - Justin Sorensen (5th), Hubert Buydens (46th)
2009 - Matt Morencie (21st) - wasn't he one of those guys who was returning to school only to get raided by another team?
2010 - Danny Watkins (4th), Adam Baboulas (41st) - Watkins of course went the NFL route but who was to know a year later he'd vault into a 1st rd NFL pick. Lions still might get something here which is a lot more than the Eagles can say.
2011 - Yannick Sage (37th)
2012 - Kirby Fabien (7th), Matt Norman (22nd)
2013 - Hunter Steward (7th), Matt Albright (43nd) - lost in expansion draft before we could find out if he'd develop or not

By Rounds:
1 - 5 picks, 3 played (Fabien, Sorensen, Valli) with Steward soon to make it 4 and a possibility Watkins could make it 5 out of 5.
2 - 2 picks, 1 played (Hameister-Reis)
3 - 2 picks, 1 played (Norman)
4 - 1 pick, 1 played (Jones)
5 - 2 picks, 1 played (Albright)
6 - 4 picks, 1 played (Baboulas)
It's interesting to look at the full list. Other than 2006 (Valli, Hameister-Ries) and 2012 (Fabien, Norman), it's been slim pickings for O-linemen. As far as I recall, those are the only O-linemen who became regular starters with the Lions (if you can call Fabien a regular for his five starts last year). Andrew Jones had a few starts at left guard in 2010 before blowing out his knee. I don't recall Justin Sorensen or any of the other draftees ever starting a regular-season game as a Lion. That makes five draftees who ever started a regular-season game as a Lion.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:It's interesting to look at the full list. Other than 2006 (Valli, Hameister-Ries) and 2012 (Fabien, Norman), it's been slim pickings for O-linemen. As far as I recall, those are the only O-linemen who became regular starters with the Lions (if you can call Fabien a regular for his five starts last year). Andrew Jones had a few starts at left guard in 2010 before blowing out his knee. I don't recall Justin Sorensen or any of the other draftees ever starting a regular-season game as a Lion. That makes five draftees who ever started a regular-season game as a Lion.
And for a chunk of time from around 2004 thru 2010 the Lions OL was very stable with next to no turnover in the starting core. Starting positions were held down by the likes of Reid, Bates, Murphy, Haji-Rasouli, Jiminez, Mantyka, Singh etc. Those were all good players who also stayed relatively healthy. It was tough for a youngster to develop when there was precious little playing time to be had.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.