Coaching Staff Finalized?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Upward
prospect

Is our coaching staff finalized for 2014? Based on my look at it, were down 1 coach from last year, and missing a receivers coach (according to the website descriptions). Do the Lions have plans to bring in anyone else? Its interesting looking at Ottawa, and they have 9 coaches...
South Pender
Legend

We're currently at 7 coaches, with Carl Hairston back as D-line coach. MW will undoubtedly coach the secondary, and KJ will coach the quarterbacks. This leaves (a) receivers and (b) linebackers, and the thinking is that at least a receivers coach will be hired. Maybe former linebacker Wally will come down from his skyjack and coach the LBs! :wink: Actually, most CFL teams don't have a special coach for the LBs (Hamilton does). And I don't believe that the Lions are the only CFL team still adding to the coaching ranks. I'd think that coaching staffs should be filled by the end of the month.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions plan to add a receivers coach and at least one new defensive coach for linebackers or the secondary, and possibly a new defensive line coach if Carl Hairston doesn't return. LU discussed the coaching staff in a couple of articles last week, and said Mike Benevides was spending the week interviewing candidates at the American Football Coaches Conference in Indianapolis. Most coaching contracts are up at the end of January, and that's usually when the full staff is announced.

Lions may need to look south for a coach
David
Team Captain

Let's not forget Kelly Bates who's in charge of the running back and Chuck McMann, the Special Teams Coordinator - both of whom should be back. I wouldn't mind seeing a new coordinator and some fresh ideas at Special Teams though. I'm of the opinion that we've fallen short of our potential for the past few seasons in this key area.

Also waiting to find out who our new scouts will be, which Wally announced at season's end. I'm assuming Roy Shivers will be back, but let's face it, the 2013 recruiting class was awful. Only QB Chris Hart shows some potential, and even he's a project. RB Isi Sofele never cracked the roster and is no longer listed, nor is T Kyle Fischer. Ironically, I thought one of our best prospects at training camp was DT Edmon McClam but he didn't make the roster, refused a PR position and was later signed by the Philadelphia Eagles (and he played at Old Dominion so was likely referred to the club by Thomas DeMarco as opposed to being discovered by Roy Shivers).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CFL teams can't afford the massive staff NFL teams use. Lots of multi-tasking is required. When it comes to positional coaches I think they tend look at the strengths and positional experience of their coordinators and existing staff then hire to fill where they feel the greater need. With Jones and Washington being former QBs and DBs they probably look at somebody with backgrounds as receivers or LBs as being better additions than another QB or Secondary coach.

While coordinators are heavily involved in developing the schemes and philosophies the team will employ positional coaches spend a lot more time working closely with the players on technique and such. Also positional coaches are often seasonal gigs as opposed to year-round jobs probably because so much of their work is directly with the players. There isn't quite the same urgency in getting them on board as there is with Coordinators. Carl Hairston wasn't hired until late March of 2011. His predecessor Randy Melvin wasn't brought into the Lions fold until the start of training camp that year. If Benevides finds someone he and Jones or Washington like they''ll make the move to secure them but don't be surprised if you don't see the rest of the staff filled out for a little while yet.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have added NFL player and coach Johnny Holland as linebackers coach.
BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that veteran NFL linebacker coach Johnny Holland has joined the club’s staff.

Holland begins his first season with the Lions following a 17-year NFL coaching career which included stops in Green Bay, Detroit, Seattle, Texas and Oakland. Most recently, he was a guest coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2013.

“Johnny is a highly-regarded and respected coach who brings a high level of expertise to the position,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “He is a great addition to our staff and our players will benefit tremendously from both his playing and coaching experience.”

Prior to his coaching days, Holland played seven seasons with Green Bay after being selected in the second round of the 1987 NFL Draft. The talented Texas A&M grad and consensus All-American in 1985 played in 103 games as a pro and notched six consecutive seasons with at least 100 tackles. He was named to the Packers' Hall of Fame in 2001.
Link with full bio and video

That appears to complete the coaching staff.

Mike Benevides Head Coach
Mark Washington Defensive Coordinator
Khari Jones Offensive Coordinator and QB's Coach
Chuck McMann Special Teams Coordinator
Dan Dorazio Offensive Line Coach
Kelly Bates Running Backs Coach & CFL Draft Coordinator
Joe Paopao Receivers Coach
Carl Hairston Defensive Line Coach
Johnny Holland Linebackers Coach
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions have added NFL player and coach Johnny Holland as linebackers coach.
BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that veteran NFL linebacker coach Johnny Holland has joined the club’s staff.

Holland begins his first season with the Lions following a 17-year NFL coaching career which included stops in Green Bay, Detroit, Seattle, Texas and Oakland. Most recently, he was a guest coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2013.

“Johnny is a highly-regarded and respected coach who brings a high level of expertise to the position,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “He is a great addition to our staff and our players will benefit tremendously from both his playing and coaching experience.”

Prior to his coaching days, Holland played seven seasons with Green Bay after being selected in the second round of the 1987 NFL Draft. The talented Texas A&M grad and consensus All-American in 1985 played in 103 games as a pro and notched six consecutive seasons with at least 100 tackles. He was named to the Packers' Hall of Fame in 2001.
Link with full bio and video

That appears to complete the coaching staff.

Mike Benevides Head Coach
Mark Washington Defensive Coordinator
Khari Jones Offensive Coordinator and QB's Coach
Chuck McMann Special Teams Coordinator
Dan Dorazio Offensive Line Coach
Kelly Bates Running Backs Coach & CFL Draft Coordinator
Joe Paopao Receivers Coach
Carl Hairston Defensive Line Coach
Johnny Holland Linebackers Coach
Have the Lions had a press conference in regard to their coaching staff, as a group? Many changes this year.

I seem to recall a press conference for Mark W. Was there one for Khari Jones?

I expect Mark W will be DB coach as well as DC.

Holland sounds like a good addition.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess Mark Washington is going to be in charge of the defensive backs as well as Defensive Coordinator.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I guess Mark Washington is going to be in charge of the defensive backs as well as Defensive Coordinator.
Yeah that struck me as a glaring omission...no secondary coach.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I guess Mark Washington is going to be in charge of the defensive backs as well as Defensive Coordinator.
Yeah that struck me as a glaring omission...no secondary coach.
It would make purrfect sense for him to be backs coach as well as DC. That is not to me strange given that he has been doing that for some time and has just added overall DC to that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Sunshine, mild temperatures, fresh cut grass....I'm getting psyched for the upcoming season!

Shawn Gore running patterns. :good:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Sunshine, mild temperatures, fresh cut grass....I'm getting psyched for the upcoming season!

Shawn Gore running patterns. :good:

Yeah, I saw that too.

Nice to see Joe Pao Pao coaching here. And Khari. Gore looks very fit.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.