CFL Draft May 13, 2014 Lions sign entire draft class

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

McGill's Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, the No. 1 prospect in the CFL draft, started at right tackle for the East team in the East-West Shrine Game today in St. Petersburg, Fla. Manitoba's Evan Gill, the No. 6 prospect, started at left defensive end for the West team. That should be a good indication of what the game's American coaches thought of their talent. Unfortunately, they lined up against each other and banged heads on almost every snap so there was little opportunity to grade them against NCAA talent during the game. Duvernay-Tardif showed good footwork for a 315-pounder and didn't get beaten in pass pro. Gill made a tackle for a loss on one rushing play where Duvernay-Tardif blocked someone else. Both players will probably get NFL consideration before the CFL draft.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I was at the game in St. Pete's.....I was amazed by how much Tropicana Field reminded me of the Skydome.....like Skydome, a stadium built for baseball (Rays) and not football.

The 3 Canadians acquitted themselves well. With Winnipeg born, John Urschel being the OG who worked in tandem with Duvernay-Tardiff the entire game. The funny thing about Urschel, is that even though he qualifies as a non-import, he hasn't filed the paperwork. According to Duane Ford, if he does file the paperwork, he would probably be the 1st overall pick in the 2014 CFL draft

I had a chat with Miles Gorrell and he said all teams were represented during the practice week, but most were moving on to the senior bowl in Mobile, Alabama. So only about 8 CFL scouts there for the actual game....no one from BC. He told me that both Gill and Urschel were born in Winnipeg. Miles also told me that even though his own wife was from Winnipeg......she was a BC Lion fan.......gotta love that.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting tidbit. Wonder if Urschel is thinking he's going to be high NFL draft pick.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Gill is a CIS DT, and though he lined-up at DE in the Shrine game, he will be looked at as a CFL DT, and not a DE (i'll bet anything there) - he's 290 pounds or so, and might be considered a very good CFL DT prospect.

Duvernay-Tardif might be one of the best CIS/CFL OT prospects in some time - huge, athletic & strong; hearing he had NFL interest even before this game and that should increase after his week there ( heard some good reviews from the practices + he looked strong in the game) = a big CFL draft gamble to use an early pick on this guy ... like the likes of Gaydosh, Mulumba or Charles from last year's CFL draft who were all in the NFL this season, or like Ticats' last year's pick Brent Urban who is going to the Senior Bowl.

Drag that the CFL is losing more & more top Canadian players to the NFL, but is what it is, good for those guys and demonstrates the talent coming out of the Canadian fcotball system.

And even though this year's CFL draft rules have changed - with NCAA ball redshirt Juniors no longer eligible - and some calling this a weak draft year, that IMO may be balanced out with the new rules allowing CIS players to declare eligibility after their 3rd year now - meaning some more very good CIS players up this draft - 2 years worth of top CIS stars potentially up in this draft year.
OV - 54:40
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Interesting tidbit. Wonder if Urschel is thinking he's going to be high NFL draft pick.
I don't believe Urschel is that high rated an NFL prospect (and he also drew a report of struggling during the practice week there); both he and Notre Dame receiver Jones were born in Winnipeg but would have to apply for NI status (prove they were "resident" growing up in Canada for whatever the qualfying time frame is) to be CFL draftable.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions have #5, #12, #14, etc. (three very valuable draft spots)

Matthias Goosen of SFU, O Line, 6'3" 300 Versatile, all O Line positions, including centre

John Urschel, Penn State, OL, 6'3" 315 NFL aspirations

Evan Gill, Manitoba, DL

Adam Thibault, Laval, DB

Derek Wiggan, Queen's, DL

Dylan Ainsworth, Western, DL

Anthony Coombs, Manitoba, RB

Andrew Lue, Queen's, DB

Needs ...

O Line, seemingly as always, Take 2?

D Line depth behind Westerman

DB/Safety

LB

RB, depth behind Harris
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/first-step-top-ta ... 4-combines

Hey who knows, in a year/two maybe we'll even get to see these combines televised.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://cfl.ca/article/first-step-top-ta ... 4-combines

Hey who knows, in a year/two maybe we'll even get to see these combines televised.....
Yes, nota, it's all good.

"More coverage" call the fans. More combines. And it came to be. LOL
TORONTO -- With the success of last year’s regional combines, the Canadian Football League announced today that it is adding a third regional combine. This year’s regional combines will take place in Edmonton on March 17, Montreal on March 19 and Toronto on March 20.

The national CFL Combine presented by Reebok will take place in Toronto from March 21-23.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:...."More coverage" call the fans. More combines. And it came to be. LOL....

YAH!!! :cheer: No NEWS is NOT GOOD NEWS, IMO. I love the fact there seems to be more and more coverage every year.

MOST fans? Probably could care less but even they get information from CFL junkies like myself. People come to me for information about the Lions all the time. Whens the schedule coming out, What do you think they'll do this year, What about this new team in Ottawa, Can you get me a copy of the schedule so I can choose to go to a game.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/duvernay-tardif-t ... 14-combine

Oh good! Our combine is becoming more like the NFL's, "I'm not coming". I doubt it will hurt Duvernay-Tardif to skip the combine but in large part because he's ranked so high. Obviously if there is NFL interest his CFL value will probably be impacted.......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://cfl.ca/article/duvernay-tardif-t ... 14-combine

Oh good! Our combine is becoming more like the NFL's, "I'm not coming". I doubt it will hurt Duvernay-Tardif to skip the combine but in large part because he's ranked so high. Obviously if there is NFL interest his CFL value will probably be impacted.......
I happen to like the French language. And French names.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Very nice name. He is lucky he was not born in the US. Announcers and others would be slaughtering the pronunciation of his name.

Like Joe DeLamielleure. Basketball player Dave Debusschere (Dave Duh Busher LOL).

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cflca-to-brin ... 14-combine
CFL.ca to bring live coverage of the 2014 Combine

Posted: March 11, 2014 03:00 PM

CFL.ca Staff
#CFLCombine

TORONTO -- For the second-straight year, CFL.ca will provide live coverage of the CFL Combine.

After providing fans with live action of the bench press at the 2013 Combine, CFL.ca has expanded its live efforts, and will also offer exclusive coverage of the 40-yard dash on Sunday March 23rd.

Live coverage of the bench press will take place on Saturday March 22nd.

CFL.ca will continue to post real-time results of the bench press, 40-yard dash, vertical jump, broad jump, the shuttle, and the three-cone drill.

This year, Edmonton Eskimos receiver and former CFL Combine participant Shamawd Chambers will provide fans with an inside look at what the athletes go through throughout the weekend as CFL.ca's Combine Insider. Chambers will appear in videos alongside CFL.ca columnist Don Landry, and will also provide his insight through social media.

Meanwhile, CFL.ca columnist and former CIS quarterback Justin Dunk is back for another year as an analyst. Dunk, who participated in the CFL Combine in 2010, will be CFL.ca's man on the ground, and will provide analysis throughout the weekend alongside Landry.

Fans can follow along the Combine conversation on Twitter by using #CFLCombine.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: I happen to like the French language. And French names.
Moi aussi (sorry, sp?)

I'm glad they are covering the combine. Its really no big deal but its there for :popcorn: if one wants it.......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/combine-a-loo ... 0317121821
Combine: A look ahead at the Edmonton Regional

Posted: March 17, 2014 01:00 AM

Updated: March 17, 2014 01:06 AM

CFL.ca Staff
#CFLCombine

EDMONTON – For the second consecutive year, the CFL’s circuit of Regional Combines will begin in Edmonton, Alberta ahead of the main showcase next weekend in Toronto.

Monday’s Regional in Edmonton kicks off a week full of interviews, testing and drills for CFL hopefuls. Additional Regional Combines will take place on Wednesday in Montreal, Thursday in Toronto before the main national Combine next weekend.

The one-day invitational combines are for players eligible for the 2014 CFL Draft. The top players from each combine could receive an invite to attend the national CFL Combine in Toronto from March 21 to March 23. The regional combines may also include non-import free agents and import free agents who play in the CIS. These players are not eligible for the draft and therefore cannot receive an invitation to the national CFL Combine. Each regional combine will invite approximately 30 to 40 football players.

As part of our ongoing coverage leading into the 2014 CFL Combine, CFL.ca will continue to provide up-to-the-minute stats, headlines, videos and more from Edmonton.

By The Numbers

Of the 37 attendees, it could be the receiver position that garners the most attention with 11 players earning an invite.

Twenty-one of the players are entering draft eligibility, while the remaining 16 are considered free agents.

Of all the school’s represented, the University of Saskatchewan have the most participants with seven. In fact, the Huskies have a prospect showcasing their skills at every position except quarterback. The Manitoba Bisons and Regina Rams each have six prospects attending.

Another Shot for Cayman

Former Hawaii quarterback and Regina, Saskatchewan native Cayman Shutter will attend the Edmonton Regional after earning an invite to last year’s national Combine. Although he cannot earn another invite this year, his participation at the Regional gives the 6-foot-1 pivot another opportunity to prove to scouts that he is capable of another look.

Shutter redshirted with the University of Hawaii in 2009 and after spending 2010 to 2012 as a backup quarterback, he returned to Canada to play seven games with the Regina Rams in 2013. He finished the season with 2,438 yards and 13 touchdowns and a completion percentage of 57.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, I think with Wally holding those 3 early picks, we will see him moving up if he feels he needs it to get that OLineman...someone who might actually be able to start by say mid season, or even out of the gates...our first pick is likely going to be an important one for the outcome of this season...I really believe that...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein