CFL Draft May 13, 2014 Lions sign entire draft class

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

PENTON'S UP-DOWN REPORT

Players whose stocks rose and fell during the CFL combine over the weekend in Toronto, according to various scouts:

UP-DT Quinn Smith

The Concordia Stingers product was a one-man wrecking crew in the one-on-ones, blowing past offensive linemen all day long; also did well on some O-line reps
From what I have read, this is the guy I would like with our #5 pick.
DOWN-DT Evan Gill

The Manitoba Bisons big man entered the weekend as the undisputed king of the defensive tackles, but that's no longer the case after a less than stellar one-on-one performance
He could be better than he showed at the Combine.

DOWN-OL Matthias Goossen

The Simon Fraser Clansmen's main competition at centre, Pierre Lavertu, was more steady during the one-on-ones, causing Goossen to fall a bit
Smith top choice for me. Goossen next.
UP-RB Anthony Coombs

The Manitoba Bisons tailback had the fourth-best 40 time on Sunday, and the versatile threat made defenders look silly during pass catching drills
Would like to get him as backup to Harris and Logan.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Ask any scout who rocketed up the draft boards on Sunday at the CFL combine, and the answer was invariably Quinn Smith.

Or, as one bird dog so eloquently put it: "Holy s---! Are you kidding me?"

The Concordia Stingers defensive tackle was on fire during the all-important one-on-one battles under the bubble at Varsity Stadium. He had remarkable success against pretty much every offensive lineman, whether he was a top-rated or not.

The Scarborough, Ont., native also showed off his versatility, taking a few reps on the offensive line and holding his own against top-ranked defensive tackle Evan Gill on a couple of occasions.

"Yeah, it felt great," Smith said. "The first day I wasn't too pleased with my stuff. My jumps "¦ I don't know. The carpet (in the hotel ballroom) kinda messed me up.

"This is the big day, and I thought I proved myself well on both sides of the ball."

The 6-foot-2, 305-pound Quinn credited his success to his time in the Quebec conference trenches, where he regularly battled Montreal's David Foucault and Laval's Pierre Lavertu.

"I feel very confident in myself now," Smith said. "I knew it was going to be pretty tough, but I thought I was going to do just as well as I did today. My goal was to not lose a one-on-one. I lost a couple, but it happens."
Let him be there for us.
DECISIONS, DECISIONS

The Bombers, who have the second overall pick, desperately need a centre, but general manager Kyle Walters said that doesn't necessarily mean Lavertu or Goossen will be their choice.

"You don't want to reach," Walters said. "If we decided that a defensive tackle or an offensive tackle or guard was such a superior football player, you're not just gonna reach by taking one of the centres because that's a position you need.

"You have to go with the best football player, particularly in the Canadian draft. You take the best Canadian starter that you're going to get out of it."
Take Levertu. Leave Goossen to us.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kirby Fletcher 6''3" 300

I like his size. D Tackle.

Evan Gill 6'3" 275. A bit light at that weight perhaps for CFL DT. Listed at 291 in this article.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/01/15/b ... hrine-game
Bisons Evan Gill opening some eyes at East-West Shrine Game

By Paul Friesen,Winnipeg Sun
First posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 08:51 PM CST | Updated: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 08:58 PM CST

ST. PETERSBURG - West squad's defensive lineman Evan Gill (95) takes a water break during practice for Saturday's college all star East West Shrine game at a local high school field in St. Petersburg, Florida on Tuesday, January, 14, 2014. STEVE NESIUS/AGENCE QMI

I was thinking it must be all glitz and glamour for Winnipeg’s Evan Gill this week, living the dream down in sunny Florida.

The 21-year-old is in St. Petersburg for Saturday’s East-West Shrine Game, U.S. college football’s longest running all-star game, an event that produces NFL players like the state produces oranges, which is why it’s overflowing with NFL scouts.

But the road, especially for a Canadian, is anything but glamourous.

“I’ve been nervous as could be — through the roof,” Gill was saying from his St. Petersburg hotel, Wednesday. “You’re down here, you’re alone, the only Canadian on the West team... so you’re kind of the outsider. It’s almost a different language. So you stand out. You’ve got to get used to it.”

Then there’s the football.

Gill is 6-foot-3, 291-pounds of Grade A, University of Manitoba beef, fed on countless hours in the weight room.

But pack him in with the best Americans, from football factories like Georgia and Oklahoma, and it’s like he shrunk.

“You’re dealing with (O-linemen) 350 pounds and 6-foot-8,” Gill said. “You never see that up in Canada. And all the defensive tackles down here are 330 pounds and above.

“I haven’t ended up on my back, luckily. But it’s been a welcome-to-the-next-level kind of thing. This is the best of the best.”

Not that Gill didn’t know what he was in for.

What has surprised him is the differences in the game, which go way beyond losing the yard off the line of scrimmage.

Even something as basic as the stance is different.

Gill’s learning on the fly, NFL scouts watching every move.

And make no mistake, that’s what this is all about.

He’s not just giving it the old college try before heading back, his tail between his legs, for a career in the CFL (he’s a sure-fire first-round draft pick this year).

No, Gill has his sights on a job down south, just like fellow Canuck D-linemen Linden Gaydosh (Carolina), Stefan Charles (Buffalo) and Akiem Hicks (New Orleans) before him, the latest wave of Canadians barging through the door first cracked open by another Bison, Israel Idonije.

Having met Idonije many times, and sharing that Bison bond, Gill knew what to do when the week got off to a rough start.

“I thought if there was one person I could talk to who’s been here and done it, it would probably be him,” Gill said. “So I shot him a text... and he called me first thing the next morning.”

Talk about the purrfect sounding board. Idonije was the last Bison to play in the Shrine game, and went through the same things.

“He told me how to keep my focus, keep my head right,” Gill said. “It means a lot more coming from him.”

Canadians in this game can use all the help they can get.

Even at Shrine week, which two attend each year, they’re basically second-class citizens.

“They don’t expect you to be very good, that’s the plain fact,” Gill said. “They don’t expect you to have the skills these guys do. I believe a lot of guys in Canada do. So it’s kind of nice to have a chance to open some eyes.”

Gill hopes he’s done that, despite the slow start.

He likes his results in the one-on-ones, saying he’s won most of the battles.

Saturday’s game is a bit of an afterthought, most of the scouts having left by then.

Not that he’s going to slough it off.

He wouldn’t know how.

“I really just want to get out there and make a play or two,” he said. “Just get on someone’s spotlight. I don’t think I’m going to go out there and change the world. I just want to make sure I’m doing my job.”

From now on, that’s what football is going to be for Gill. A job.

Whether it’s NFL glamour or CFL blue-collar, sunny Florida or snow-packed Winnipeg.

It’s the dream that matters.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quinn Smith, Evan Gill, Mattias Goossen.

If we could score Goossen and one of Smth or Gill or even Fletcher I would be very happy. One DL and one OL.

I expect Andrew Lue might be gone by our third pick. But if we could score Antoine Pruneau, that would be pretty cool.

It seems like a bumper load of talent in this year's draft. Time for some home runs.
Duane FordeVerified account‏@DuaneFordeTSN·

UdeM's Antoine Pruneau just jumped up to #2 overall with a 4.487. #CFLCombine

OV - 54:40
Champion

Quinn Smith is an interesting DT prospect for sure; Lions concerned about losing Westerman to back East down the road? - Smith is bigger (305, vs, Westerman listed at 285) and posted signifigantly better bench and 40 time numbers at CFL Combine tests.

Still say Goosen (maybe a starter at C right away), and then a good safety prospect (Lue or Pruneau) would be great fits for BC drafting this year; but swapping Smith for Goosen might pan-out nice too.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I mentioned earlier that Evan Gill weighed in at 304 pounds at the combine. By bulking up to play DT, he seems to have lost a lot of his athleticism. He was the slowest defensive lineman in the 40 at the combine, at 5.107 seconds. He may yet develop into a productive lineman but it will take some time and training.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Our Kirk Penton sits in on a CFL combine interview
Plus ... whose draft stock is rising, falling this weekend?

First posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:01 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:13 PM EDT

Devon Bailey works out during the CFL combine at the Varsity Centre in Toronto on March 23, 2014. (Ernest Doroszuk/QMI Agency)

TORONTO - Members of the Toronto Argonauts coaching and management staff are throwing plenty of tough questions at St. Francis-Xavier receiver Devon Bailey, and the young man is barely flinching.

It's Saturday night at the CFL combine, and Bailey is seated on one side of a square conference table in a third-floor ballroom at Toronto's Park Hyatt hotel. Bailey, wearing a black dress shirt, a silver tie and a gold chain on the outside of his shirt but underneath the tie, is the No. 4-ranked player at the combine and the top-rated receiver. Every team interviewed him, but the Argos are known for seeing how prospects deal with uncomfortable questioning.

"The goal is to expose them so we can see what they are really about," Argos general manager Jim Barker said. "Can they handle the mental pressures of handling professional football?"

Seated throughout the conference room, essentially surrounding the 6-foot-5, 202-pound receiver on all three sides, are 10 members of Toronto's brass -- mostly on the offensive side of the ball since Bailey is a receiver -- and one QMI Agency reporter, whom the Argos have allowed to sit in on the proceedings on the condition that their questions not be published. It's an eye-opening experience for an outsider.

"How's it been going?" Barker asks Bailey as he sits down.

"It's been going all right," Bailey said.

"You look nervous," Barker quickly adds.

"I do? I don't feel nervous," Bailey responds.

And so begins 13 minutes of interesting back-and-forth between Bailey and 10 men who could one day be his bosses.

Bailey looks stiff but confident throughout the session, stumbling a couple of times and pausing on other occasions. For the most part, however, the Argos are impressed with how the young man handles himself.

"Devon had an incredible poise," Barker said afterwards. "He did a great job."

It couldn't have been easy for the Mississauga, Ont., native. One thing the Argos did was take one of his answers and spin it against him in their follow-up question. They've studied enough film to know the answers to the questions they're asking, so the point is to see how he reacts to stress.

Bailey admits his route-running needs work, so the Argos ask him why that is. When he lets it slip that he maybe doesn't have the best work ethic when it comes to practising his route running, the Argos pounce.

"You don't work hard at it?" Barker asks.

"That's not the case," Bailey says. "That's just what I "¦" Barker cuts him off. "Didn't he just say the work ethic, Jason?" Barker says to receivers coach Jason Maas, who is sitting directly across from the prospect.

"Yes," Maas says, answering Barker but not taking his eyes off Bailey.

This is the roughest part of the interview for the kid, who tries to form an answer but can't string the words together without Barker and Maas continuing their interrogation. Maas asks a long question, and it seemingly allows Bailey to regain his composure and explain to his questioners that route running is simply the aspect of his game he works on the least.

That pleases the Argos, who accept his answer and move on.

"Every team pointed out what I needed to work on, which was my route running or some people even said strength, but in a less in-your-face, direct kind of way," Bailey told QMI Agency after the interview. "Some implied it, but Toronto just threw it at you."

And it wasn't just Barker and Maas tossing bombs, either. No fewer than six members of the organization pepper him with questions, including head coach Scott Milanovich, who seems to take (and really enjoy) the bad-cop role, offensive co-ordinator Marcus Brady, offensive line coach Pat Perles and U.S. scouting director Demetri Betzios.

All in all, the Argos ask Bailey 70 questions in 13 minutes. They are about his personal life, football and even the bling around his neck.

"It's not even like only the people at the table are asking you questions. There's people in the back," Bailey said. "It was from everywhere."

When all was said and done, both the Argos and Bailey felt he did a good job. Bailey, in fact, said he had a good time, even though his buddies who had gone before him told him to be prepared for the worst.

"I was very nervous at first going into it, but I feel like the speculations were kind of wrong," Bailey said. "They were very in your face and had a lot to say, but it was fun. I really enjoyed it."

The Argos have the sixth pick in the CFL draft on May 13 and Bailey had a solid combine by most accounts, so he might not be there when it's Toronto's turn to pick. Judging by the give and take, it appears Bailey could be an option. The Argos currently have four non-import receivers on the roster.

If nothing else, Bailey felt those 13 intense minutes with the Boatmen made him only stronger.

"I'm Superman," he said, "after that interview."

Going to be interesting whether Toronto drafts him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Justin Dunk of cfl.ca has posted an excellent stock assessment of the OL and DL prospects, complete with updated heights and weights, here.

Most of the DL prospects, including Dylan Ainsworth, are built more like linebackers than CFL defensive ends. Traditionally, that makes it hard to transition to the next level. Interior linemen Evan Gill and Quinn Smith look to be the best first-round prospects.
Quinn Smith, DL, Concordia
Height 6’1” Weight 302 pounds
Stock: Rising

Simply put, Smith was the star of the 2014 Combine. He showed that he is an athletic 300 pounder, perhaps his most impressive testing result was a 4.82 40 time – blazing for a man his size. And Smith saved his best for last. He put on as dominating a performance in the one-on-one drills that has possibly ever been seen at a CFL Combine. Smith comes off the ball quick and low and sets up his vast array pass rush moves very well. He happens to be just as smooth when he lines up on the offensive side of the ball. Smith’s stock shot through the roof with his performance.
Evan Gill, DL Manitoba
Height 6’3” Weight 304 pounds
Stock: Hold

Gill came in as the top ranked defensive line prospect and he certainly did not disappoint, especially when you consider he added over 20 pounds training in Florida. 29 reps on the bench and a 4.72 shuttle time are purrfect examples of Gill’s combo of strength and agility for a young man his size. He got better as the one-on-one session wore on and displayed the potential to be a disruptive player on the interior of the defensive line at the professional level.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting assessments. Wonder if the Lions might be interested in the UBC product in the later rounds.
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Justin Dunk of cfl.ca has posted an excellent stock assessment of the OL and DL prospects, complete with updated heights and weights, here.

Most of the DL prospects, including Dylan Ainsworth, are built more like linebackers than CFL defensive ends. Traditionally, that makes it hard to transition to the next level. Interior linemen Evan Gill and Quinn Smith look to be the best first-round prospects.
Stock: Rising

Simply put, Smith was the star of the 2014 Combine. He showed that he is an athletic 300 pounder, perhaps his most impressive testing result was a 4.82 40 time – blazing for a man his size. And Smith saved his best for last. He put on as dominating a performance in the one-on-one drills that has possibly ever been seen at a CFL Combine. Smith comes off the ball quick and low and sets up his vast array pass rush moves very well. He happens to be just as smooth when he lines up on the offensive side of the ball. Smith’s stock shot through the roof with his performance.
Evan Gill, DL Manitoba

Gill came in as the top ranked defensive line prospect and he certainly did not disappoint, especially when you consider he added over 20 pounds training in Florida. 29 reps on the bench and a 4.72 shuttle time are purrfect examples of Gill’s combo of strength and agility for a young man his size. He got better as the one-on-one session wore on and displayed the potential to be a disruptive player on the interior of the defensive line at the professional level.
Not sure which of the D-lineman you are referring to as build like linebackers?

The top 3 DT prospects are probably Gill, Smith and Fletcher and they are all easily pro DT size, with Gill & Smith at 300+ being bigger than a lot of current starting CFL DTs.

And DEs can very lots in size in the pros - the traditional bigger (short side) DE is not found that much in the CFL anymore - guys in the 270 plus range; and there are all sorts of smallish rush ends in the CFL - often the top pass rush DEs are 245 or less (Joe Montford was a CFL pass rush terror playing at (listed) around 225); so amongst the top DE prospects this draft - Ainsworth is maybe a bit light (but at 235 is easily bigger than almost all CFL linebackers), but makes up for it with outstanding quickness and athleticism; Menard & Wiggan are both 250-260 range so easily CFL pro size; and Romick from SMU is almost prototype rush end size at 6-5, 245 with some excellent athletic testing #s. A few of the other DEs at the Combine were smaller size that can get by in college ball but probably not in the pros - might be ST gunner types though. Canadian DEs rarely get much shot to play in the current CFL anyways.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/stock-assessm ... he-linemen
Stock Assessment: Dunk's look at the linemen

Posted: April 04, 2014 12:00 PM

Justin Dunk CFL.ca

It’s time to check in on the 2014 Canadian Draft prospects stock market. A large number of athletes worked out for Canadian Football League scouts during the last full week of March.

In total there were four CFL Combines; three regional and the national event held over three days in Toronto from March 21-23.

CFL hopefuls had their stocks rise and fall after player personnel men from around the league got an up-close look at this year’s crop of talent.

Based on Combine performances let’s take a look at which individuals may have moved up and down the draft board beginning with the linemen on both sides of the ball.

Offensive Linemen

Jaskaran Dhillon, OL, UBC
Height 6’2” Weight 289 pounds
Stock:

Coming into the Combine Dhillon was viewed as a developmental prospect because he’s only played one year on the offensive line. He showed he had the strength – pumping 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press – and overall size to play at the pro level. However, during the one-on-one session it was clear Dhillon still needs to clean up some technique flaws. He plays a little high at times and gets off balance, but he initiates contact, plays to the echo of the whistle and flashes smooth footwork.

David Foucault, OL, Montreal
Height 6’7” Weight 300 pounds
Stock:

Potential might be the word that best describes this massive lineman. Foucault has size you can’t teach and the frame to add some weight as well. He proved he is a big, strong and nimble offensive line prospect. The Montreal product led all blockers with a 4.61 shuttle and 7.50 3-cone time, and put up a respectable 22 reps on the bench. He displayed the type of agility and footwork to make scouts think he has the tools to be a ratio-changer at tackle in the CFL, or at least a very good guard. Foucault has ability to finish off pass rushers, but he needs to do it more consistently and develop a mean streak.

Matthias Goosen, OL, Simon Fraser
Height 6’3” Weight 295 pounds
Stock:

Goosen just might be the most pro-ready prospect in the 2014 class because he started all four years for Simon Fraser, playing at the NCAA Division II level. The 2013 first-team Great Northwest Athletic Conference All-Star centre put his unique combo of power and aggression on display for all to see during the on-field drills. After a strong Combine showing, Goosen is a near lock to be selected within the first five picks of the draft.

Terry Hart, OL, St. Francis Xavier
Height 6’1” Weight 300 pounds
Stock:

Scouts were interested to see how much Hart weighed at the Combine because he looked light on tape. He came in at 11 pounds heavier than at the 2013 CIS East West Bowl. Projected to fit best at guard in the CFL, Hart helped himself with a solid all-around effort at the Combine. He is a physical lineman who is not afraid to initiate contact.

Pierre Lavertu, OL, Laval
Height 6’2” Weight 294 pounds

Entering the Combine weekend as the number two-ranked prospect didn’t leave much room for Lavertu to improve his stock. All he did was continue to prove his high ranking is deserved and showed he is the type of prospect who is ready to contribute from day one for a CFL franchise. As a lineman he has a strong base in his stance, delivers a solid punch and moves fluidly.

Aaron Wheaton, OL, Toronto
Height 6’4” Weight 292 pounds
Stock:

It was a rough weekend for Wheaton at the Combine, especially in the one-on-one portion of the event. He was repeatedly slow out of his stance and allowed defenders to easily beat him off the edge. After a few reps you hoped Wheaton would settle in and feel more comfortable, but he didn’t show hardly any physicality. He absorbed contact instead of dishing it out. Certainly not the showing Wheaton had in mind.

Kyle Paterson, OL, Regina
Height 6’2” Weight 279 pounds
Stock:

It was an up and down week for Paterson. He impressed scouts enough to earn an invite from Edmonton to the National Combine and through testing events showed he is a strong and athletic offensive line prospect. Paterson’s on-field performance was solid, but left something to be desired in Toronto.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OL, McGill
Height 6’4” Weight 298 pounds
Stock:

There is no doubt Duvernay-Tardif is the best prospect in the 2014 class. But as his NFL stock continues to rise, his CFL stock falls. Teams north of the border will be reluctant to use a first round draft pick on a player they may not see for at least a few years. Duvernay-Tardif put up strong numbers at his Pro Day workout in Montreal on March 27 where there were more NFL teams (9) in attendance than CFL organizations (4). It seems consistent in talking to CFL types that they believe he will be a mid-to-late round selection in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Defensive Linemen

Michael Dadzie, DL, Regina
Height 6’1” Weight 234 pounds
Stock:

Dadzie earned his way to the National Combine through the Edmonton regional. He has a blend of strength and speed, evidenced by his 24 bench press reps and 4.77 40-yard time. Dadzie held his own, displayed a physical side in the one-on-ones, and he showed special teams potential.

Dylan Ainsworth, DL, Western
Height 6’2” Weight 235 pounds
Stock:

Combine: Dylan Ainsworth Sunday Highlights

Ainsworth was one of the main attention-grabbers at the Combine. He put on a show throughout the physical testing, putting up impressive numbers on both Saturday and Sunday. But he also showed what he can do when he strapped on the pads. Ainsworth was a force in the one-on-one pass rush session. He displayed a burst off the ball, active hands and was physical in his pursuit of the quarterback. On his last rep Ainsworth ran right through and over the offensive player he lined up against. He also put forth a solid effort in the special teams drills, an area he needed to prove to scouts he can excel in.

Kirby Fletcher, DL, Acadia
Height 6’2” 288 pounds

Overall it was a decent Combine for Fletcher. Coming in, scouts had pegged him as a run-stopping defensive lineman and that’s exactly what he proved to be. Fletcher has a solid bull rush, but didn’t flash any pro-ready pass rush moves.

Evan Gill, DL Manitoba

James Tuck, DL, York
Height 5’11” 229 pounds
Stock:

A solid athlete, Tuck displayed a non-stop motor in all on-field drills. He showed some decent speed off the edge as a pass rusher. He will need a team to believe he can develop while playing special teams.

David Menard, DL, Montreal
Height 6’1” Weight 259 pounds
Stock:

If you’re looking for defensive line prospects with ideal size, strength and ability to step in and contribute early in their career, Menard is one of those players. He led all Combine participants with 33 reps on the bench and weighed in just below 260 pounds. Menard showed a good burst out of his stance and plays nice and low behind his pads.

Martin Pesek, DL, Acadia
Height 6’2” 247pounds

Testing was critical for Pesek. He recorded nine sacks in his 2013 season for Acadia, but scouts view the offensive line play in the Atlantic University Conference as atrocious at best. So it was important for Pesek to show he is the type of athlete who can compete at the pro level, instead of just one that took advantage of porous line play. Pesek had a solid performance at the Combine, but didn’t blow anyone away in any particular area.

Stock:

Derek Wiggan, DL, Queen’s
Height 6’0” Weight 250
Stock:

Wiggan came in as the 14th ranked prospect on the CFL Scouting Bureau and the second best defensive lineman, but he didn’t live up to that billing at the Combine. His testing results were pretty good, but there were other prospects at his position that stood out more. Wiggan’s one-on-one effort was decent, but again, not to the level of his ranking coming in, and far below other defensive line prospects.

Dylan Roper, DL, Simon Fraser
Height 5’11” Weight 229 pounds

The man with the best twitter handle in the 2014 CFL Draft class (@RopenessMonster) Roper earned his way to the National Combine through the Edmonton regional. There is no doubting Roper’s strength, he pushed 225 pounds 27 times on the bench press, and he appears to possess the abilities to be a factor on special teams in the CFL.

Nigel Romick, DL, St. Mary’s
Height 6’5” 242 pounds
Stock:

Another player who earned his way to the National Combine through a regional, Romick has intriguing tools. He is a long, fast athlete with good size that hasn’t yet reached his full potential.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jaskaran Dhillon, OL, UBC
Height 6’2” Weight 289 pounds
Stock: :thup:

Coming into the Combine Dhillon was viewed as a developmental prospect because he’s only played one year on the offensive line. He showed he had the strength – pumping 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press – and overall size to play at the pro level. However, during the one-on-one session it was clear Dhillon still needs to clean up some technique flaws. He plays a little high at times and gets off balance, but he initiates contact, plays to the echo of the whistle and flashes smooth footwork.
Later round pick for us?
David Foucault, OL, Montreal
Height 6’7” Weight 300 pounds

Potential might be the word that best describes this massive lineman. Foucault has size you can’t teach and the frame to add some weight as well. He proved he is a big, strong and nimble offensive line prospect. The Montreal product led all blockers with a 4.61 shuttle and 7.50 3-cone time, and put up a respectable 22 reps on the bench. He displayed the type of agility and footwork to make scouts think he has the tools to be a ratio-changer at tackle in the CFL, or at least a very good guard. Foucault has ability to finish off pass rushers, but he needs to do it more consistently and develop a mean streak.
Gone by our turn to pick.
Matthias Goosen, OL, Simon Fraser
Height 6’3” Weight 295 pounds

Goosen just might be the most pro-ready prospect in the 2014 class because he started all four years for Simon Fraser, playing at the NCAA Division II level. The 2013 first-team Great Northwest Athletic Conference All-Star centre put his unique combo of power and aggression on display for all to see during the on-field drills. After a strong Combine showing, Goosen is a near lock to be selected within the first five picks of the draft.
#5 sounds right.
Terry Hart, OL, St. Francis Xavier
Height 6’1” Weight 300 pounds

Scouts were interested to see how much Hart weighed at the Combine because he looked light on tape. He came in at 11 pounds heavier than at the 2013 CIS East West Bowl. Projected to fit best at guard in the CFL, Hart helped himself with a solid all-around effort at the Combine. He is a physical lineman who is not afraid to initiate contact.
Another possible later round pick for us. This draft seems loaded with talent. Lots of NI talent out there.
Pierre Lavertu, OL, Laval
Height 6’2” Weight 294 pounds

Entering the Combine weekend as the number two-ranked prospect didn’t leave much room for Lavertu to improve his stock. All he did was continue to prove his high ranking is deserved and showed he is the type of prospect who is ready to contribute from day one for a CFL franchise. As a lineman he has a strong base in his stance, delivers a solid punch and moves fluidly.
Probably gone by our pick.
Aaron Wheaton, OL, Toronto
Height 6’4” Weight 292 pounds
Stock: :thdn:

It was a rough weekend for Wheaton at the Combine, especially in the one-on-one portion of the event. He was repeatedly slow out of his stance and allowed defenders to easily beat him off the edge. After a few reps you hoped Wheaton would settle in and feel more comfortable, but he didn’t show hardly any physicality. He absorbed contact instead of dishing it out. Certainly not the showing Wheaton had in mind.
Kyle Paterson, OL, Regina
Height 6’2” Weight 279 pounds
Stock: ?

It was an up and down week for Paterson. He impressed scouts enough to earn an invite from Edmonton to the National Combine and through testing events showed he is a strong and athletic offensive line prospect. Paterson’s on-field performance was solid, but left something to be desired in Toronto.
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OL, McGill
Height 6’4” Weight 298 pounds
Stock: ?

There is no doubt Duvernay-Tardif is the best prospect in the 2014 class. But as his NFL stock continues to rise, his CFL stock falls. Teams north of the border will be reluctant to use a first round draft pick on a player they may not see for at least a few years. Duvernay-Tardif put up strong numbers at his Pro Day workout in Montreal on March 27 where there were more NFL teams (9) in attendance than CFL organizations (4). It seems consistent in talking to CFL types that they believe he will be a mid-to-late round selection in the 2014 NFL Draft.
Defensive Linemen
Michael Dadzie, DL, Regina
Height 6’1” Weight 234 pounds

Dadzie earned his way to the National Combine through the Edmonton regional. He has a blend of strength and speed, evidenced by his 24 bench press reps and 4.77 40-yard time. Dadzie held his own, displayed a physical side in the one-on-ones, and he showed special teams potential.
Rush end? Maybe as a sub.
Dylan Ainsworth, DL, Western
Height 6’2” Weight 235 pounds

Combine: Dylan Ainsworth Sunday Highlights

Ainsworth was one of the main attention-grabbers at the Combine. He put on a show throughout the physical testing, putting up impressive numbers on both Saturday and Sunday. But he also showed what he can do when he strapped on the pads. Ainsworth was a force in the one-on-one pass rush session. He displayed a burst off the ball, active hands and was physical in his pursuit of the quarterback. On his last rep Ainsworth ran right through and over the offensive player he lined up against. He also put forth a solid effort in the special teams drills, an area he needed to prove to scouts he can excel in.
Might not be available to us after our first pick. But he looks like he can play some rush end.
Kirby Fletcher, DL, Acadia
Height 6’2” 288 pounds

Overall it was a decent Combine for Fletcher. Coming in, scouts had pegged him as a run-stopping defensive lineman and that’s exactly what he proved to be. Fletcher has a solid bull rush, but didn’t flash any pro-ready pass rush moves.
Solid enought to add depth to our D Line. I would be happy if we got him.
Evan Gill, DL Manitoba

Be nice to get him as a pick.
James Tuck, DL, York
Height 5’11” 229 pounds

A solid athlete, Tuck displayed a non-stop motor in all on-field drills. He showed some decent speed off the edge as a pass rusher. He will need a team to believe he can develop while playing special teams.
I doubt we would give him a chance as a rush end.
David Menard, DL, Montreal
Height 6’1” Weight 259 pounds

If you’re looking for defensive line prospects with ideal size, strength and ability to step in and contribute early in their career, Menard is one of those players. He led all Combine participants with 33 reps on the bench and weighed in just below 260 pounds. Menard showed a good burst out of his stance and plays nice and low behind his pads.
I would be happy if we got him.
Martin Pesek, DL, Acadia
Height 6’2” 247pounds

Testing was critical for Pesek. He recorded nine sacks in his 2013 season for Acadia, but scouts view the offensive line play in the Atlantic University Conference as atrocious at best. So it was important for Pesek to show he is the type of athlete who can compete at the pro level, instead of just one that took advantage of porous line play. Pesek had a solid performance at the Combine, but didn’t blow anyone away in any particular area.
Stock:

I would be delighted if we got him at #5.
Derek Wiggan, DL, Queen’s
Height 6’0” Weight 250
Stock:

Wiggan came in as the 14th ranked prospect on the CFL Scouting Bureau and the second best defensive lineman, but he didn’t live up to that billing at the Combine. His testing results were pretty good, but there were other prospects at his position that stood out more. Wiggan’s one-on-one effort was decent, but again, not to the level of his ranking coming in, and far below other defensive line prospects.
At that weight I doubt if we would take him in the first three rounds.
Dylan Roper, DL, Simon Fraser
Height 5’11” Weight 229 pounds

The man with the best twitter handle in the 2014 CFL Draft class (@RopenessMonster) Roper earned his way to the National Combine through the Edmonton regional. There is no doubting Roper’s strength, he pushed 225 pounds 27 times on the bench press, and he appears to possess the abilities to be a factor on special teams in the CFL.
Late round at best for us.
Nigel Romick, DL, St. Mary’s
Height 6’5” 242 pounds

Another player who earned his way to the National Combine through a regional, Romick has intriguing tools. He is a long, fast athlete with good size that hasn’t yet reached his full potential.
Be happy if we scored him in later rounds.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As I indicated earlier, I would be happy if we could score 2 of these 3: Quinn Smith, Matthias Goossen and Evan Gill.

Possible? Sure, if things fall our way. Evaluations go up and down. Teams have particular needs. Smith rose like a rocket in the rankings at the Combine.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/stock-assessm ... he-defence
Stock Assessment: Dunk's look at the defence

Posted: April 07, 2014 11:00 AM

Justin Dunk
CFL.ca

It’s time to check in on the 2014 Canadian Draft prospects stock market. A large number of athletes worked out for Canadian Football League scouts during the last full week of March. In total there were four CFL Combines, three regional and the national event held over three days in Toronto from March 21-23.

CFL hopefuls had their stocks rise and fall after player personnel men from around the league got an up-close look at this year’s crop of talent.

Based on Combine performances, and with an eye towards the Canadian Draft in May, let’s take a look at which defensive players moved up and down the draft board.

Linebackers

Travis Bent, LB, Concordia
Height 5’11” 216 pounds
Stock:

When Bent was coming out of high school he was heavily recruited by Rice University in Houston, a NCAA Division I school, which tells you just how talented a player he has the ability to be. He earned his way to the National Combine through the Montreal Regional and had a solid showing in Toronto. Bent made scouts notice that there is more than one Concordia linebacker that has pro potential. He's an explosive tackler that could find a home on special teams.

Jesse Briggs, LB, McGill
Height 6’1” 213 pounds
Stock:

Hands down Briggs is the best athlete among all 2014 draft eligible linebackers – a special athlete. He posted the best testing numbers among those at his position in the bench (27), vertical (38.5”) and 40-yard dash (4.57 seconds). Briggs will be able to come in and contribute right away on special teams in the CFL, and he has the type of athleticism that will give him the chance to be a difference maker on defence at the pro level.

Max Caron, LB, Concordia
Height 6’1” Weight 221 pounds
Stock:

Based on Caron being ranked 10th on the CFL Scouting Bureau list before the Combine, his stock took a hit. His less-than-spectacular testing numbers are the main reason for his draft board dip. But by all reports Caron was one of the best during the interview process. He is an instinctual, active playmaker on tape, but his test results don’t quite measure to the same level. That said, being a better football player than a testing machine is what matters most when the pads are put on.

Casey Chin, LB, Simon Fraser
Height 5’10” Weight 209 pounds
Stock:

Despite playing all the way out west, Chin has the full attention of CFL scouts. He led the GNAC, a NCAA Division II conference, in tackles for three straight seasons, and he also showed through his testing numbers that he has the physical capabilities to compete in the CFL. He is the best long snapping prospect in the draft, and with ‘start strong and finish stronger’ as his motto you know he’s going to give all he has on special teams.

Beau Landry, LB, Western
Height 5’10” 208 pounds
Stock:

The biggest question scouts had about Landry going into the Combine was his speed. Well, he ran a 4.71 40-yard time to provide a more than adequate answer. Landry is a physical player on tape and he continued to show that in pass rush and coverage drills.

Thomas Miles, LB, Manitoba
Height 6’0” 223 pounds

Miles is a big, physical linebacker who displayed some sneaky athleticism at the National Combine. He is a good long snapper and can also be a special teams contributor.

Defensive Backs

Eric Black, DB, Saint Mary’s
Height 5’11” 176 pounds

Eric is longer, taller and skinnier than his older brother Matt who plays for the Toronto Argonauts. The younger brother put down a 4.65 40-yard time to go along with his other above average testing numbers, but he needs to develop his body more in the weight room.

Derek Jones, DB, Simon Fraser
Height 6’0” 182 pounds
Stock:

Another player with CFL bloodlines, Jones’ dad Ed was a three-time CFL All-Star defensive back with the Eskimos during their dynasty run of five straight Grey Cup championships from 1978-82. Jones proved at the Combine that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. He has good size, ran a speedy 4.51 40-yard time, and climbed draft boards in the process. Physically looks like a CFL defensive back.

Andrew Lue, DB, Queen’s
Height 6’1” Weight 209 pounds
Stock:

Only one thing held Lue back at the Combine - an injury. He tweaked a hamstring while doing the broad jump on Saturday and it bothered him enough that he decided not to run his 40. Scouts would have liked to get a fresh time on Lue, but his speed on tape more than speaks for itself. He showed his explosion and short area burst in the other testing events. Despite his hamstring tweak, Lue’s elite cover skills were on display in the one-on-ones.

Antoine Pruneau, DB, Montreal
Height 6’0” Weight 194 pounds
Stock:

Flat out, Pruneau is a fierce competitor. From watching him at the Combine it’s clear he will give a CFL receiver everything he has on each play. Pruneau has an intriguing blend of speed, agility and size for a defensive back. He ran a 4.48 40-yard dash, a Combine-best 6.78 3-cone, recorded the second best shuttle mark at 4.05 and stands over six feet tall. He must get functionally stronger to be able to handle physical CFL receivers.

Adam Thibault, DB, Laval
Height 5’11” 193 pounds
Stock:

Everyone knew Thibault was going to do well in the testing aspect of the Combine. In fact, his results only proved further the rare athleticism he possesses. But a hamstring setback held him out of the football drills, undoubtedly the most vital part of the weekend for Thibault. He did not get the chance to line up against the top receiving prospects in the country, or show scouts that he can translate his raw athleticism into success and production on the field.

Raye Hartmann, DB, St. Francis Xavier
Height 6’0” 206 pounds
Stock:

One never could’ve guessed Hartmann has been out of football for the past two seasons. He appeared to be game ready when he hit the field at the Toronto Regional and National Combine. Hartmann is an ultra physical defensive back, he seems to relish contact, a trait that will make him an instant contributor on special teams in the pros. He has a lot of tools scouts look for in a CFL defensive back prospect.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Defensive Backs

Andrew Lue, DB, Queen’s
Height 6’1” Weight 209 pounds
Stock:

Only one thing held Lue back at the Combine - an injury. He tweaked a hamstring while doing the broad jump on Saturday and it bothered him enough that he decided not to run his 40. Scouts would have liked to get a fresh time on Lue, but his speed on tape more than speaks for itself. He showed his explosion and short area burst in the other testing events. Despite his hamstring tweak, Lue’s elite cover skills were on display in the one-on-ones.

Antoine Pruneau, DB, Montreal
Height 6’0” Weight 194 pounds
Stock:

Flat out, Pruneau is a fierce competitor. From watching him at the Combine it’s clear he will give a CFL receiver everything he has on each play. Pruneau has an intriguing blend of speed, agility and size for a defensive back. He ran a 4.48 40-yard dash, a Combine-best 6.78 3-cone, recorded the second best shuttle mark at 4.05 and stands over six feet tall. He must get functionally stronger to be able to handle physical CFL receivers.

Adam Thibault, DB, Laval
Height 5’11” 193 pounds
Stock:

Everyone knew Thibault was going to do well in the testing aspect of the Combine. In fact, his results only proved further the rare athleticism he possesses. But a hamstring setback held him out of the football drills, undoubtedly the most vital part of the weekend for Thibault. He did not get the chance to line up against the top receiving prospects in the country, or show scouts that he can translate his raw athleticism into success and production on the field.
Could we score a very good OL, a DL and one of these guys? That would be a coup.

Champion

Goosen at #5, Pruneau or Lue at #12, and then a D-Lineman at #14 might be do-able (doubtful that either of the top DT prospects - Gill or Smith - will be available there though IMO - might have to look at Fletcher at DT or a DE instead).

Watkins sign-able ? - then by pass an O-lineman, and get Smith or Gill at #5 and Lue or Pruneau at #12 ? Local guy Casey Chin might be nice at #14 - not about to crack the starting line-up at LB, but a future MLB starter down the road perhaps (Sol-E or Bighill leave), plus a special teams gunner and can long-snap too.