CFL Draft May 13, 2014 Lions sign entire draft class

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:Goosen at #5, Pruneau or Lue at #12, and then a D-Lineman at #14 might be do-able (doubtful that either of the top DT prospects - Gill or Smith - will be available there though IMO - might have to look at Fletcher at DT or a DE instead).

Watkins sign-able ? - then by pass an O-lineman, and get Smith or Gill at #5 and Lue or Pruneau at #12 ? Local guy Casey Chin might be nice at #14 - not about to crack the starting line-up at LB, but a future MLB starter down the road perhaps (Sol-E or Bighill leave), plus a special teams gunner and can long-snap too.
Nice if we get Watkins. Then as you say, we could go for Smith at #5 and Pruneau or Lue at #12. I see lots of depth with the O Line and D Line in the draft. Seems far superior to previous years.

Without Watkins, I expect Wally will give Dorazio another specimen for his lab, and if that was Goossen at #5, I would be very happy.

With the depth that seems to be growing in the draft, I see no excuse for throwaway picks. No undersized O Linemen. No guys from way off the charts. And with the competition heating up, I see no way a team can fool around in the draft. Picks have to count. You have to hit a lot of home runs.

#5 #12 #14

We are well positioned in what seems like a very deep draft. OL DL DB

Between Smith and Goossen at #5? I expect we would probably take Goossen. I would rather we take Smith. A strong DL is more rare than a good centre prospect it seems to me.

Could Evan Gill fall to #12? Probably not. But Kirby Fletcher might be there at #12.

And then we might be able to get Antoine Pruneau at #14.

I would be happy enough if things fell that way.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Running Backs

Aaron Milton, RB, Toronto
Height 6’2” 205 pounds
Stock:

Milton is an interesting prospect for scouts. He earned an invite from the Toronto Regional to the National Combine. Milton has a long body and moves well. If he proves to be physical enough he could be tough to match up against on special teams.  

Guillaume Bourassa, RB, Laval
Height 5’10” Weight 197 pounds
Stock:

Bourassa proved to be the better of the two Laval running backs at the National Combine, despite having to earn his way through the Montreal Regional. He is a reliable blocker and smooth receiver out of the backfield. He is well built, fluid and brings a competitive and physical presence to the field.

Jordan Botel, RB, Mount Allison
Height 5’9” Weight 207 pounds
Stock:

It wasn’t a good Combine showing for Botel. He lacks the type of chiseled frame and athleticism you want to see from a running back to be able to compete at the pro level.

Anthony Coombs, RB, Manitoba
Height 5’8” 200 pounds
Stock:

It’s all about creating a buzz with your Combine performance and Coombs did just that. He impressed scouts all weekend long and even drew comparisons to Andre Durie and his hometown hero Andrew Harris. Scouts wanted to find out if Coombs could take the pounding of an every-down back and he tipped the scales at 200 pounds, up 10 from his 2013 CIS East West Bowl weigh in, which helped his cause. For reference, Durie is listed at 199 pounds and Harris at 213. Coombs proved he has a rare blend of speed, quickness and playmaking ability from the running back position.

Robert Farquharson, RB, Guelph
Height 5’8” Weight 204 pounds
Stock: Hold

Farquharson tested better than scouts expected at the Combine. He is a bowling ball, downhill type of runner and really good in pass protection. He has sneaky athleticism and possesses the physical capabilities to possibly get a shot on special teams and work his way onto a CFL roster.

Pascal Lochard, RB, Laval
Height 6’0” Weight 214 pounds
Stock:

A slow 40 and other less-than-expected test results coupled with an injury history has Lochard’s stock pointing down. However, he has a physical running style and could be useful on special teams.

Mackenzie Sarro, RB, Calgary
Height 6’3” 247 pounds
Stock:

Sarro proved to be exactly what scouts thought at the Combine. He is a big fullback who can block and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. Although, he is right on the edge athletically for what scouts look for in a pro prospect. Sarro needs to be more consistently physical on the field.

Alexandre Dupuis, RB, Montreal
Height 6’3” 251 pounds
Stock:

A thick man, Dupuis showed he is a tough blocker, but needs to become a better pass catcher out of the backfield. He could be a solid fullback for a team that employs one in their offensive packages. He could also be a physical presence on special teams.   

Receivers

Francis LaPointe, REC, Sherbrooke
Height 5’9” Weight 170 pounds
Stock:

LaPointe earned his way to the National Combine through Montreal. He proved he has the speed and quickness to compete at the next level. LaPointe is a great route runner, but he needs to get stronger to matchup with the import defensive backs.  

Devon Bailey, REC, St. Francis Xavier
Height 6’4” Weight 204 pounds

Work ethic was the biggest question about Bailey entering the Combine and his results showed there should be no more worries about it. He improved from 10 reps to 15 on the bench and shaved more than a tenth of a second off his 40 time compared to his testing numbers at the 2013 CIS East West Bowl. But Bailey is still raw in his technique and didn’t dominate the one-on-one session like a top receiver prospect should. He needs work to polish his route running, learn how to track the ball and rebound at the high point better. However, Bailey has all the tools and potential to be the best receiving prospect from the 2014 class.

Kristopher Bastien, REC, Concordia
Height 6’2” Weight 213 pounds
Stock:

If there was one player who didn’t receive his fair share of praise coming out of the Combine it was Bastien. He continued to prove he is physically ready for the CFL game. Bastien put up 20 reps on the bench and ran a 4.63 40. Not to mention making strong contested catches in one-on-ones. He is a well-developed route runner and has a good overall feel for the game. Bastien might be the most pro-ready receiver in the draft.

Alexander Fox, REC, Bishop’s
Height 5’7” Weight 183 pounds

Fox won’t soon be forgotten in many minds because he came to the Combine with a CFL logo shaved into his head. It showed just how dedicated he is to making a career at the pro level. Fox is strong - he lifted 225 pounds 24 times a ridiculous number considering his size - and fast enough to play in the CFL. In scouts’ minds the main thing holding Fox back in terms of his projection as a pro is his small stature.

Kit Hillis, REC, Saskatchewan
Height 5’7” Weight 174 pounds
Stock:

It was a less than stellar Combine for Hillis. He showed solid speed in the 40, but didn’t stand out among the receiver group. Hillis works his butt off on the field, but must overcome questions about his size to have a chance at the next level.

Brian Marshall, REC, Western
Height 6’0” Weight 212 pounds
Stock:

Scouts were anxious to clock Marshall in the 40, and a 4.90 time was certainly far below expectations and what he was hoping to run. The slow time dropped his stock.

Alex Pierzchalski, REC, Toronto
Height 6’3” Weight 209 pounds

It was a solid all around effort at the Combine for Pierzchalski. He is a well-built, possession-type receiver and catches the ball with ease. He has the size, potential and work ethic that you want in a receiving prospect. But Pierzchalski needs to become more explosive and work on creating separation, especially on deep patterns.

Evan Pszczonak, REC, Windsor
Height 5’11” Weight 176 pounds
Stock:

An underrated prospect heading into the Combine, Pszczonak put his athleticism on full display. He vertical jumped 40 inches, the highest at the National event, and was one of just eight prospects to run a sub 4.60 40 (4.58). Pszczonak showed he is explosive, has a good understanding of route running and is a smooth operator on the field.

Tore Corrado, REC, Simon Fraser
Height 5’10” Weight 173 pounds
Stock:

Corrado literally and figuratively sped his way up draft boards with his Combine performances. He had top five times at the National Combine in the 40 (4.56), shuttle (4.22) and 3-cone (7.03). During the one-on-one session Corrado transferred his fast test times into production with pads on. He looked smooth coming in and out of breaks and created separation with his impressive short area quickness and burst.

Scott MacDonell, REC, Queen’s
Height 6’4” Weight 227 pounds
Stock:

Likely the biggest receiving prospect in the draft, MacDonell showed he’s much more than just a tall, thick target. He ran a 4.69 40-yard time, impressive for a young man of his stature. MacDonell used his size and body control to help get open in one-on-ones. He has great hands and caught the ball smoothly. His speed and frame will give him a chance to develop into a starting receiver at the pro level. MacDonell went from a blip on the radar to jumping way up the board with his Combine showing.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I see our needs as DL, OL and Safety/DB.

RB as backup to Harris.

If Coombs fell to us after the above I would be happy.

Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:I see our needs as DL, OL and Safety/DB.

RB as backup to Harris.

If Coombs fell to us after the above I would be happy.
I am not so worried about finding the NI backup to Harris, as we have Logan ready to take over if that happens. However we do need NI talent all around so that someone can make the starting 7 NI lineup without a dropoff in case Harris goes down.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Childress
Rookie

The CFLHorsemen.ca have updated our 2014 draft coverage with an article on the CFL Combine and we also have our first 2014 Mock Draft. Check us out and let us know what you think.

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-cfl-combine-report.html

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-cfl-mock-draft-10.html
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/95451

Interview process. Lions' brass with Antoine Pruneau. Looks like a big strong kid for DB. Gunner on STs. Returner. I like him.

Between Thibault and Pruneau I might take Pruneau. Thibault put up the athletic numbers, but some questioned his playing instincts.

The Lions were fairly gentle with the prospect. I saw the Argos take a more challenging approach, sharper questions. Not a big deal IMO. Can the kid play?

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Childress wrote:The CFLHorsemen.ca have updated our 2014 draft coverage with an article on the CFL Combine and we also have our first 2014 Mock Draft. Check us out and let us know what you think.

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-cfl-combine-report.html

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-cfl-mock-draft-10.html
In addition to not having statistical consistencies jump out of the fitness testing numbers, I had the good fortune of talking about my blog with John Hufnagel at a Stampeders VIP luncheon, and he really downplayed the fitness testing by calling it the Olympics. He made it clear that the numbers a player obtained could make the difference in a situation where two players were in a tied at the end of their evaluation, but he really bases his evaluation on their ability to play football. Listening to many of the videos taken of CFL executives on CFL.ca from this year’s combine pretty much verified the same feeling across several teams, so I decided to abandon the statistical analysis from the fitness testing.
I completely agree with Hufnagel and the other executives. Workout numbers pale in comparison to what matters. Can the kid make plays? Height, weight, speed, strength, athleticism. A guy can top the charts but be unable to make plays at the top level. You still have to do the numbers, but they prove little.

OV - 54:40
Champion

Yeah - I'd agree Joe on proven, demonstrated football skills being far more important that testing #s or measureables; but the CFL personnel guys in charge of drafting may not always have that much faith in college ball play/stats if they consider CIS ball so inferior with weak competition.

Be interesting / we shall see with this draft: does the best testing LB like Briggs get picked before proven star D play-makers like Caron or Chin; or does the fastest / most "athletic" DB in Thibault (who is not a proven starter in college ball) get picked ahead of the likes of Lue, Pruenau or Jones - who are are all all-star DBs in college ball - for example?

And we'll see if Huff backs up his mouth by picking all proven players and no long-range, reach, iffy "project" types (last year he used a 4th round pick on Charlie Power who was hardly a proven college ball player - but more a project fullback/TE type ? - a part-time position at best in today's CFL - when he could have instead picked DT Mike Klassen - from his own backyard with the Dinos - a good CIS DT backed by good testing #s - and where the Stamps had real need - Klassen ended up drafted by the Als, and playing some for them at DT and looked good IMO; not sure Powers ever saw the field with the Stamps ???).
Rammer
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:Yeah - I'd agree Joe on proven, demonstrated football skills being far more important that testing #s or measureables; but the CFL personnel guys in charge of drafting may not always have that much faith in college ball play/stats if they consider CIS ball so inferior with weak competition.
I have to wonder who hacked your account OV, that doesn't sound like you at all, although it is bang on.

Cam Wake had great numbers, but that certainly didn't influence anybody in the NFL, at least the first go around.
Champion

Rammer wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:Yeah - I'd agree Joe on proven, demonstrated football skills being far more important that testing #s or measureables; but the CFL personnel guys in charge of drafting may not always have that much faith in college ball play/stats if they consider CIS ball so inferior with weak competition.
I have to wonder who hacked your account OV, that doesn't sound like you at all, although it is bang on.

Cam Wake had great numbers, but that certainly didn't influence anybody in the NFL, at least the first go around.
OK - but I'm not sure what part of my post you consider "bang on" ? - is it: a) that CFL scouts will sometimes defer to iffy, lazy "scouting" that places far too much faith in measureables over proven on field play, or b) that CFL decision makers often consider CIS ball play as a weak indicator because it's so inferior/weak competition ? - I;d guess you meant b) is bang-on ? - or is it both? - and if it is both, maybe somebody hacked your account ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Be interesting / we shall see with this draft: does the best testing LB like Briggs get picked before proven star D play-makers like Caron or Chin; or does the fastest / most "athletic" DB in Thibault (who is not a proven starter in college ball) get picked ahead of the likes of Lue, Pruenau or Jones - who are are all all-star DBs in college ball - for example?

And we'll see if Huff backs up his mouth by picking all proven players and no long-range, reach, iffy "project" types (last year he used a 4th round pick on Charlie Power who was hardly a proven college ball player - but more a project fullback/TE type ? - a part-time position at best in today's CFL - when he could have instead picked DT Mike Klassen - from his own backyard with the Dinos - a good CIS DT backed by good testing #s - and where the Stamps had real need - Klassen ended up drafted by the Als, and playing some for them at DT and looked good IMO; not sure Powers ever saw the field with the Stamps ???).
I was hoping we would take Klassen. Wally does not seem to have had great faith in NI D Linemen. With the exception of Brent Johnson. And we finally gave Ricky Foley a chance, where I thought he was very, very productive as a rush end. Foley had a great motor, sideline to sideline.

Our attitude to Jabar Westerman seems kind of lukewarm. Will he ever get to be a starter here? It does not seem like we have lit a fire under him.

Anyhow, I like the looks of this draft. Lots of talent. I hope it does not go the way that Childress proposes in his first Mock draft.

Champion

Actually Joe - Wally was once in charge of some good Stamps' teams that won a GC - featuring a mostly NI D-Line - with the likes of Stu Laird, Kent Warnock, Hasselbach, Zizakovic - as starters, and good ones; but that was then and this is now. And the CFL is a very trendy, copy-cat league IMO, and the trend now is to load up with mostly imports on D and often write-off top NI talent for a chance to play on D; more imports on CFL rosters now too = is what it is.

The Lions once had the likes of Klassen, Hebeler,Racette, Glenn Jackson, Konar, Glier, Nelson Martin starting on a good D too.
Rammer
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Rammer wrote:

OK - but I'm not sure what part of my post you consider "bang on" ? - is it: a) that CFL scouts will sometimes defer to iffy, lazy "scouting" that places far too much faith in measureables over proven on field play, or b) that CFL decision makers often consider CIS ball play as a weak indicator because it's so inferior/weak competition ? - I;d guess you meant b) is bang-on ? - or is it both? - and if it is both, maybe somebody hacked your account ?

Under the b) you got it. I thought that I had put that in bold on the portion of your statement that I quoted, which I did, but it doesn't seem to be in bold.
Childress
Rookie

I think there is a big difference in who you select at the start of the draft and who you pick at the end. All your picks past the fourth round are pretty much long shots. If Huf were to pick a guy who had superior testing numbers but was unaccomplished on the field late in the draft, I don't think he would be a hypocrite. There aren't any proven great performers there. When you look at Klassen, you are looking at what he did after the draft and not before. Before he draft, he hadn't caught the eye of scouts based on his play to even earn an invite to the combine. He had to earn his way there through the regional combines.

We will see what Power turns into. He is raw, no doubt. He is also a local product, so the team may know more about him than most. He was sent back to school for the year and will be in training camp again with the Stamps. I'd be surprised to see him play much or at all this season. Likely he spends the season on the practice roster. The following season will be the time to take his shot.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Childress wrote:I think there is a big difference in who you select at the start of the draft and who you pick at the end. All your picks past the fourth round are pretty much long shots. If Huf were to pick a guy who had superior testing numbers but was unaccomplished on the field late in the draft, I don't think he would be a hypocrite. There aren't any proven great performers there. When you look at Klassen, you are looking at what he did after the draft and not before. Before he draft, he hadn't caught the eye of scouts based on his play to even earn an invite to the combine. He had to earn his way there through the regional combines.
How many picks you have and how they are distributed throught the draft order also can play a role in whether a team rolls the dice on project types. A team with extra picks is more likely to take some chances than a team short on picks. Similary a team with good NI depth may be more willing to gamble on a project type than would be a team thin in that regard. The latter will look more to the safer picks that are closer to starting or playing a significant role. In the case of Calgary this year they have 8 picks this year including 5 in the top 25. Taking a project type later on or even with one of their 3 3rd rounders isn't too difficult for Huf to justify. If they get good quality out of their top 5 he's going to have a helluva time keeping then all. Edmonton on the other hand only has 3 picks in the first 47 selections. They need immediate help and can ill afford to chase testing numbers in hopes a player develops in a few years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.