CFL Coaches -- Buh Buh ... Benny and the Cats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Read it the first time.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Read it the first time.
Read it again.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No need to.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

You didn't read it hard enough.....he wants snot bubbles out your nose and gas out your ass.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:You didn't read it hard enough.....he wants snot bubbles out your nose and gas out your ass.
No, Sir. LOL
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Edmonton Eskimos drive featuring pair of trick plays ‘won the game’ over B.C. Lions

By Chris O'Leary, Edmonton Journal June 30, 2014

VANCOUVER — Any time a football coach calls for a trick play, it’s a gutsy move.

But when you’re making your head coaching debut and your team is in dire need of a go-ahead score and you respond with a pair of trick plays, you’ve got more than guts.

It’s one thing to call a fake field goal to extend a drive, as Edmonton Eskimos head coach Chris Jones elected to do on Saturday against the B.C. Lions. The play worked — Calvin McCarty took the shovel pass from placeholder Matt Nichols and gained the necessary first down — and after quarterback Mike Reilly found Fred Stamps for the go-ahead score, Jones went to his other sleeve to see what he could do.

Grant Shaw went from making a convincing phantom field-goal kick on the first play to chipping an onside kick to the sideline at BC Place near the Eskimos bench. Pat Watkins was there and pulled the ball in, giving the offence another chance to go out and put some distance between themselves and the Lions.

“You’ve got to do whatever you’ve got to do to win a game,” Jones said of his special-teams trickery, giving credit to special teams co-ordinator Craig Dickenson for drawing up the plays.

“If you’re on the road, you’ve got to win the game, and you’ve got to go out and let your players play,” Jones said. “When it’s time for you to help them out, you’ve got to help them out.”

To borrow a phrase from the other struggling Edmonton sports outfit up the street from the Eskimos, a bold move. Throughout his training camp the past month, Jones has spoken of his team being aggressive. Trailing the Lions 17-13 late in the third quarter, it was time to be aggressive.

It was a call that hasn’t been seen from the Eskimos in years and not just through Kavis Reed’s three years as head coach.

How long had it been?

“Crickets ...” McCarty said after a prolonged silence grew too long for his liking.

“I don’t think I’ve ran one since I’ve been here. I’ve run some fake punts, but no field goals, in seven years, not to get the first-down type, you know? Not that I can remember.”

“Those are big plays,” Reilly said. “They give us an extra possession and I believe we ended it with a touchdown to Freddy and we took the lead.

“We didn’t relinquish the lead the rest of the game; that drive won the game.

“That’s what we have to have. When our coaches come to the decision that they’re going to have to make a call like that the guys have to be able to execute, because if you screw that up you’re in big trouble you set yourself into a pretty big hole The guys did a nice job and that chipped in on the win.”

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Players like aggressive coaches not afraid to call a surprise play. You just have to have the right personnel to do that.

You must also practice these things something they don't seem to do much of - a lot of the CFL teams.

For example, what benefit is there having a lineman catch a punt in a contest between offense and defense? Zero as it won't happen in a game. Even the Dorazio missed FG where they roll over 3 times on the ground rather than delay at the LOS is sort of stupid.

But what is worth practicing. Onside kicks, fake punts (but not with McCallum), defensive players catching passes and picking up fumbles and desperation kick returns. The latter two they worry about injury but both are important and are needed in a game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Montreal's D has lived by the blitz for a decade, and nothing is going to change that tonight...and why do so many teams blitz in the CFL? Because in a game with such a large field, with pre snap motion and oodles of talent and speed on offence, the ONLY way most defences can keep the score from exploding on them is to disrupt what the offence is doing...and as the entire league (sans the Lions) has adapted to aggressive defensive postures, the results have been demonstrative...for the last couple of seasons, offensive production is down, and people actually began to call the CFL a defensive league...and the teams that have the most success over the past 2 years in the CFL (arguably SSK, CAL, TOR) ALL have developed offensive schemes that run the football and specifically design plays to minimize the blitz. We haven't..and more than anything else, it explains our DROP in dominance over the past two seasons...that, and a group of beat up QBs.

All off season I said the same thing, we needed a new OC who could come in, shore up our OLine and protect the QB by aggressively running the football and audibling against the blitz...in game one that didn't happen...and with 4 INTs (and I mean 4 HORRIBLE INTs) we still almost won that football game against a good team. There is hope, but until we have an OLine that can explode off the line and create holes in the running game, it isn't. Now can you blame Khari Jones for that? Khari did NOT have a good 1st game as OC, but the OLine is NOT his providence, it is coached by a stubborn dinosaur, and the players available to coach are the responsibility of the GM...you simply CANNOT go into a new season with a rookie LT (WHO WAS INJURED) and NOT have at least TWO backup options...to do this is not just reckless, its stupid...and that falls on the HC, who needs to simply tell his GM, either get me a couple of healthy, capable LTs or I'm done. But that doesn't happen, because Benny is Wally's illegitimate child...and thus this ridiculous pattern of mediocrity for the Lions continues...

Average to lousy S Ts because Wally defiantly stands by McMann...inadequate OLine play, tons of injuries, and until lately no development of young prospects all from Dorazio, but he stays because of Wally...a HC with NO experience at the position, who NEVER succeeded at any one positional coaching job, and a rookie DC with no experience, but who is a devout Christian, like Wally. Now, who knows, maybe MIRACULOUSLY all of our coaches will respond and have great seasons...who knows...but history tells us that they won't and it may very well also reveal to us the fact that changing 2 coordinators wasn't enough, and that's why I said giving Benevides an extension after he accomplished NOTHING was insane. Our 2012 regular season record was due to a GC champion team returning intact, with veteran players, and staying mostly healthy. But in our 1st playoff game, at home, we were steamrolled and out coached. Benevides hasn't shown ANY indicators that he is going to make it as a champion HC, and let's face it, that's why they play the game...and I'm not saying that MB can't be a GC champion HC, but you don't extend him until he shows it. Wally did that because MB is his friend, it wasn't business...and this is from a guy who has been as ruthless a businessman that the CFL has ever seen.

So, let's hope that our 2 new Coordinators have learned from their week 1 gaffs, and are ready to go tonight with great game plans...Washington needs to blitz early and often so that MTL O doesn't get any rhythm going and stays frustrated...and Jone's needs to develop Time of Possession, either by running the ball or the quick passing game...these will negate their blitz as well. So again, let's watch tonight and see just how good our coaching staff is...because we all know our talent is as good as anyone else's in the league.
Copying this over here, as it relates to our coaching staff.

MFL, I always support your views. They are insightful, passionate, and knowledgeable.

From time to time I feel somewhat guilty for harping on negatives, especially about the coaches. And I know most/many fans find it hard to read or hear bad news about their team. That is to be expected, as fans always have high hopes. And hearing negatives is painful. And dims the hopes.

But I think a balanced view is healthy. Some have to wear the black hat, and see the problems. Otherwise our heads are in the sand. (Is it possible that there is danger in trying to cross that river? Nah ... it should be easy. Don't even worry about it.)

Great post. :thup:

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks Joe...it was you who was the first to notice the disparity between our coaching staff and suddenly the rest of the league...and the gap seems to be widening, which is good for the rest of the CFL, but not so much here...Hufnagel in CGY is top notch (so is that whole organization)...Corey Chamblin is outstanding in Regina (so is that whole organization)...now freaking EDM gets Chris Jones, and their first game was so well coached, that I didn't think it possible (they have turned things around)...WIN gets Mike O'Shea, a HOF guy in every sense of the word...I would have loved to have got either O'Shea or Jones to coach our team...O'Shea goes out and gets a QB with a bright future, and they have turned things around (with that beautiful new stadium)...TOR is an eastern powerhouse with Milanovich and Ray, and Barker is doing a good job at GM...now bloody Hamilton has Kent Austin and he went out and brought in bright, young assistants (with a new stadium and a great owner)...and OTT has started up the right way and have put together a decent team...only MTL, after a decade of dominance in the East, is suffering, and that's because Trestman (world class) left and Popp didn't trust in his remaining staff...at least he brought in Higgins (who I don't think is particularly bright) who knows the CFL game, so there is hope that they will turn things around...

Yikes, look at that picture...the CFL has world class coaching staffs across the country...and with talent pretty much evened out, it means parity in the CFL...but if our unproven coaches don't step up, especially Benny, we have a real possibility of finishing last in the west PERENNIALLY, because Jones and O'Shea are winners and won't tolerate losing...and CGY and SSK aren't going to suffer big drops, not with those 2 organizations. So people can choose to look at things however they will, but our talent is not the problem...Wally brought in, with the noted exception of LT, a solid group of players who can play...but now they need to be put into position to succeed, and that didn't happen last week...and last year's team under Benny's leadership was a bit of a gong show, and yet we still almost beat SSK in the playoffs, and should have won last week with those 4 horrid INTs...we have the talent...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions' woes now a question of character

Second straight blowout loss: 'Either we're going to fold or we're going to turn it around'

Lowell Ullrich, The Province Published: Sunday, July 06, 2014

It was during a talk last week about the apparent one-sided nature of the trade to acquire Kevin Glenn by the B.C. Lions when Wally Buono injected an observation that bears discussion in the wake of what happened here Friday. A few days before the move with Ottawa Redblacks general manager Marcel Desjardins was deemed the deal of the century by Lions coach Mike Benevides, and after Glenn's regularseason debut against the Edmonton Eskimos, Buono was asked if he had fleeced his GM counterpart.

"The going market rate for me was well worth paying," Buono said.

"I don't see it as if one GM fleeced the other. He could say after the four interceptions (against Edmonton) he fleeced us."

A fleecing might now be an understatement.

Glenn looked like a 34-year-old going on 64 in a 24-9 mugging by the Montreal Alouettes, throwing two more interceptions and an astonishing number of other balls that were often too short or long, or simply mistimed.

It wasn't his fault entirely of course, as the only sight more common than an errant toss was one of his offensive linemen offering a hand to help him up off the ground.

Glenn was sacked five times, two others were wiped away by Als penalties and by the unofficial tally of his teammates, he might have been hit 20 times.

"He was getting mauled," said B.C.'s Ryan Phillips.

It probably was not an unexpected development, as it's been happening whenever the Lions venture here for their annual spanking. Als defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe will blitz. Lions offensive line coach Dan Dorazio cannot stop it, and his team will be off again in search of another replacement or two.

It doesn't happen this early in the season during most years, however, which means the last-place Lions have to wonder if they have already developed enough of a backbone to absorb the 0-2 start.

Adversity reveals character. B.C. doesn't have enough yet and will need some quickly to avoid references to its 0-5 start of three seasons ago. The blitzing will continue from every CFL team unless B.C. develops an answer.

"They run the same bleep every year we come here," said Dean Valli, part of an offensive line that made no strides with the debut of import left tackle Ryan Cave, who clearly showed why the Als cut him.

"Every single guy across the board has got to be better. I guess the one positive I can take away is that I've been in this situation more times than I'd like to have been. I can think of 2009, '10, '11 ... and we found a way to get it done.

"Was it the end of the world? No, but people come to the games to see us win. They don't want to see that."

TV viewers had it best. They could change the channel.

Glenn wasn't quite as willing to absorb as much of the blame as the Edmonton loss, as it was obvious a pocket-passing quarterback working with an offensive line that can't block is a formula for disaster until Travis Lulay returns.

"I try to keep faith in the guys up front that they're going to do a good job," said Glenn, who was prevented from throwing his seventh interception in two games and match his 2013 total when Benevides made a late mercy-pulling.

"Kevin's game is accuracy and getting the ball out of his hands," said Benevides. "Five sacks is too much and too much duress. They obviously tried to attack one side."

It was an equal opportunity beating.

Benevides couldn't get a second-quarter challenge flag out fast enough and had an appeal of an Als catch that cost B.C. a field goal denied by referee Andre Proulx.

Dante Marsh missed a sure interception, and was close to two. The offence, which went 7-for-20 converting second downs, is nowhere without injured Emmanuel Arceneaux and has given up on Marco Iannuzzi, a healthy scratch.

The biggest concern is the same as just about every other year in the Buono era, when Dorazio and the Lions churn through a wave of linemen who also can't stay healthy.

"I just scraped through the scraps," said Als defensive end John Bowman, who had four sacks, beating Cave so often his B.C. opponent became the subject of derisive text messages to reporters during the game from a rival personnel type.

Glenn's first call for advice this week should be to his offensive co-ordinator last year in Calgary, Dave Dickenson, whose career pretty much ended in B.C. because of the constant pounding. Signs of a possible repeat are evident.

The troubling part for Buono, who has demonstrated only a willingness for minor fixes, isn't a defence that only gave up one offensive touchdown. It's an unresponsive offence that was supposed to be better under offensive coordinator Khari Jones with Jacques Chapdelaine gone.

Character questions are already being asked by the principles themselves.

"We'll do it together and if we don't do it together, we're losing together," said Shawn Gore, who had another one-catch game that has become far too much a part of his career statistical resume.

"Either we're going to fold or we're going to turn it around," said Phillips, who still has a coverage game but is far too often a human bowling pin when trying to take down ball-carriers in the open field.

The only answers are in the mirror. "We disrespected ourselves," said Khalif Mitchell, whose return to the Lions isn't making enough of a difference.

"If you want respect you gotta earn it.

We didn't earn it. Everybody has to go ahead and remember why we're getting paycheques. The Grey Cup ain't enough."

"Teams that aren't strong-willed and have strong leaders fold up their tents when stuff goes like that and I don't think the B.C. Lions are about that, no matter how poorly we've started," said Valli.

"You find out what kind of man you are. Sometimes you've got to hold your head up even you know the whole world is against you. I tell the guys don't read the paper in the morning. It's not going to make you feel good, so don't do it. Come to work. Do your thing. I believe this group will find a way to get it done."

Until then, a reassessment of the deal that brought the Lions their current starting quarterback might just well be in order. A fleecing has occurred, but not by the Lions.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Glenn was sacked five times, two others were wiped away by Als penalties and by the unofficial tally of his teammates, he might have been hit 20 times.

"He was getting mauled," said B.C.'s Ryan Phillips.
So Kevin Glenn was not up to the task. Who would have been? Travis Lulay, possibly, with his magic in escaping the pocket. But that is not the way to run an offence in the long run, if one wants the quarterback to survive.
It probably was not an unexpected development, as it's been happening whenever the Lions venture here for their annual spanking. Als defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe will blitz. Lions offensive line coach Dan Dorazio cannot stop it, and his team will be off again in search of another replacement or two.
True. Dan Dorazio cannot stop it. And, yes, there are a thousand excuses. But it happens over and over. And the search will continue for that left tackle that is deemed to be good enough. Ready made. Out of the box. No need for development. Skills already there. Performance not hindered by details.
"They run the same bleep every year we come here," said Dean Valli, part of an offensive line that made no strides with the debut of import left tackle Ryan Cave, who clearly showed why the Als cut him.
Yes, Dean Valli, the same bleep every year. And that is on the coaching staff. Khari too young? Too green? (He was our third choice after we were turned down by LaPolice and Cortez. Did we have top candidates knocking on our door? Were we surprised we got turned down?) ... It helps when your Head Coach is a higher level offensive coordinator, as with Scott Milanovich, John Hufnagel, and Kent Austin. Or a top DC, as with Chris Jones. More and more, it seems Xs and Os mastery is essential for a CFL Head Coach.

Then we don't have the Head Coach going over to the OC, who is talking to the spotter on the headset, and asking: "What have we got for ...?" (Not really involved in the strategic or tactical aspects of the game, the chess game). Or on defence ... When Chris Jones calls a blitz, and signals it in, with his usual intensity and focus, he feels the tactical advantage, and knows exactly what to expect from each player.
"I try to keep faith in the guys up front that they're going to do a good job," said Glenn, who was prevented from throwing his seventh interception in two games and match his 2013 total when Benevides made a late mercy-pulling.
This is not on Kevin Glenn IMO.
"Kevin's game is accuracy and getting the ball out of his hands," said Benevides. "Five sacks is too much and too much duress. They obviously tried to attack one side."
Any answers, Benny?
Benevides couldn't get a second-quarter challenge flag out fast enough and had an appeal of an Als catch that cost B.C. a field goal denied by referee Andre Proulx.
Pretty slow with that worry rag. Oooopss ... Too late.
The biggest concern is the same as just about every other year in the Buono era, when Dorazio and the Lions churn through a wave of linemen who also can't stay healthy.
Yes. We have been here before. We "churn through a wave of linemen" deemed to be "not good enough." But they pass the screening on tape and in person. They have played high level college football. Most have spent time in the NFL, developing their skills. They are brought to Camp. And then they are sent home. Are we looking for some kind of karma? Some kind of perfection? Some kind of ready made All-Pro left tackle? It seems to me most of these guys have the makings. But perhaps the complexity of things, and the attention to details, detracts from athletic performance.
"I just scraped through the scraps," said Als defensive end John Bowman, who had four sacks, beating Cave so often his B.C. opponent became the subject of derisive text messages to reporters during the game from a rival personnel type.
I wonder who that might be.
Glenn's first call for advice this week should be to his offensive co-ordinator last year in Calgary, Dave Dickenson, whose career pretty much ended in B.C. because of the constant pounding. Signs of a possible repeat are evident.
Yes. Many BC QBs injured over the years. Pounded into the turf. Dickenson. Printers. Pierce. Lulay. Welcome, Kevin Glenn.
The troubling part for Buono, who has demonstrated only a willingness for minor fixes, isn't a defence that only gave up one offensive touchdown. It's an unresponsive offence that was supposed to be better under offensive coordinator Khari Jones with Jacques Chapdelaine gone.
JC had his critics. But he was a seasoned, veteran offensive coordinator. And he had to work with the the product of the O Line given to him. The players change, but the product seems much the same. A crisis in the O Line every year.

And JC took the heat for any offensive woes, even though he could hardly be held responsible for the play of the O Line. Or injuries to the O Line. Or, at times, even the design of the run game.

Dan Dorazio has clout in the organization. No doubt he is highly influential in our running game. At times in the past the running game was his province. Not sure of the roles this year, but with a rookie OC, I expect the running game might still be his. I think he said we reduced our run package to two plays for the Alouettes. So which of those two are you going to call, Khari? LOL It seems we got away from what we were running late last year.

The Lions might find a way to get it done.

There are survival skills. The players figure things out. The chess match on the field evens up, as the season progresses. The coaches make belated adjustments. Go simple. Go physical. Go zone. Go man. The search goes on. Sometimes we find some answers, as in our stretch drive last year. But then ... the adjustments. Stuff gets taken away. And we must adjust once again.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Paopao should be OC, or at least QB coach.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=456461
The concern for B.C. going into the game was having newcomer Ryan Cave starting at left tackle after only two practices with the team this week.

It wasn't all his doing, but Montreal spent much of the first half in the Lions' backfield, either sacking Glenn or hurrying throws.

Bowman said the defence didn't key on Cave.

"The way (defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe) called the game, it wasn't anything against Cave," said Bowman, whose four sacks was one short of a team record. "I actually thought he played OK.

"Coach Thorpe called a masterful game. We didn't take advantage of one player, but their scheme in general."
"Montreal spent much of the first half in the Lions' backfield, either sacking Glenn or hurrying throws."
Not much Kevin Glenn can do with that kind of pressure. He is no escape artist like Travis Lulay.
"The way (defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe) called the game, it wasn't anything against Cave," said Bowman.
"Coach Thorpe called a masterful game. We didn't take advantage of one player, but their scheme in general."
Thorpe called a good game on defence. On offence, between our O Line coach and our OC, we had no preparation for the onslaught, nor any answers. We did seem to slow down the pressure somewhat in the second half, after some adjustment.

Montreal was not great, but between the coaches, it was a mismatch.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It appears that Benevides actually believed his drivel about how a chip on the shoulder of his new OC and DC would ensure success.

That is something that fans think versus those who are supposed to be HC's.

Dean Valli - once again speaks volumes about the Lions coaching staff. Valli of course is the guy who blew the whistle on how they never ran and how it was benefitting their opponents as they knew it was pass on every down.

This is a badly coached team at the moment and it smells like a rotting fish - from the head down.

The trajectory is now fully down and with this team's attitude it will be a long season for Lion fans. The good news is that the other teams look like they have improved except so far for Hamilton. Actually I think MTL has QB issues but should be buoyed by their feasting on Lions.

Lions "eat and feast" was Benny's admonition to his team pre-game. I swear he's now channeling Kavis Reed for his themed pre-game speeches. Maybe Kavis sitting home collecting his two year extension- 'thank you very much, Ed Hervey'- is giving him coaching tips on how to turn an early season extension into a two year paid vacation. Maybe Wally has to come down to the field and turn this debacle around himself.

All other teams in recent years have had lengthy processes and criteria for selection including Esks Hervey. Wally just anointed this guy despite all the signs that he was not ready. I'm not sure he had not already hit the Peter Principle as a DC but he had Stubler to cover for any deficiences presumably.

The Peter Principle is the theory that says managers get promoted for their abilities shown in their current role but once promoted fail as they haven't the qualities and skills to handle the higher level role. We seeing Peter Benevides weekly this year.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

On those gutsy trick plays by Edmonton I quizzed my good Esky-fan buddy Great White North about Edmonto using so many in Week 1. They kind of blew their wad on them. Coaches usually will ration them a bit over a few games as opposed to opening up so much of their bag of tricks so soon. I even wondered about a couple of their punt coverage "gaffes". IIRC twice on Lion punts the Esks didn't have a returner. Was it that somebody screwed up? Or were they deliberately rushing 12 knowing the only Lion who could get the punt was. Schmitt? It's a field position gamble but if you don't get the block all you have to do is make sure 1 of your 12 gets the ball before Schmitt does. If it was the latter then that was 4 pieces of skulduggery on special teams.

Gotta give them credit on the fake FG and onside kick. Both were executed to perfection. The onside kick was so purrfect that had been a yard shorter it wouldn't have made 10 and if it was a foot higher I doubt Watkins would've been able to drag his toenails like he did to haul it in inbounds.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.