CFL Coaches -- Buh Buh ... Benny and the Cats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/94745

Link to the press conference video ...

Benny's words sound kind of cliche to me.

For sure this will be a group of hard working men.

Can this group take us to a Championship, the goal that Benny states? Dunno about that ... One has hopes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/radical-changes-h ... off-season

Good piece from CFL.ca regarding the changes. As the article states, most of the BIG changes have been to the coaching staff.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Why do the new Lions O & D Coordinators have to a chip on their shoulder? Dumb claim by HC Mike Benevides. HC also says "radical change" and a coordinator the opposite. Ooops. Is it radical or they won't change everything.

When you start comparing how good your new coaching group or even new players is compared to last year and you haven't played a down of football that starts getting in the range of Ed Hervey and we know how his claims turned out.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Mike Benevides is officially on the clock. This is his team, his staff; no more whipping boys to be had.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/02/ ... ead-coach/
Montreal Alouettes hire Grey Cup winner Tom Higgins as head coach

Bill Beacon, Canadian Press | February 24, 2014 | Last Updated: Feb 25 9:03 AM ET

MONTREAL — For a second year in a row, the Montreal Alouettes will start the CFL season with a new head coach.

Alouettes owner Bob Wetenhall announced Monday that Tom Higgins will be the club’s new head coach.

The former Edmonton Eskimos and Calgary Stampeders bench boss replaces general manager Jim Popp, who took over on Aug. 1 when the inexperienced Dan Hawkins was fired only five games into the 2013 season.

Wetenhall made it clear in a statement that he did not want Popp, who is considered one of the CFL’s best GMs but has a career 16-20 record as a coach, to continue in both jobs.

“As I’ve expressed to the media in recent weeks, I wanted to continue with the formula which has brought us the success we’ve enjoyed these past 17 years — having a full-time head coach and a full-time general manager to fill each of these positions,” said Wetenhall.

“The criteria we established was to find an individual familiar with the CFL; someone with success in that position and a background as a position coach. In addition, we sought an individual with a record for moulding and delivering championship teams.

“In Tom’s seven years as a head coach he won three division championships along with a Grey Cup, and twice earned recognition as the CFL’s coach of the year. His head coaching record of 72-53-1 speaks for itself. We welcome Tom to the Alouettes family.”

Popp had made no secret of wanting to continue coaching, but Wetenhall put out a statement recently saying candidates would be interviewed.

A year ago, the Alouettes waited until Feb. 19 to name Hawkins, a former U.S. university coach with no experience of the Canadian game. He was 2-3 when he was fired with the team in disarray.

Popp, the Alouettes’ GM since they returned to Montreal in 1996, took over as coach for the third time in his career and went 6-7.

It marked only the second time since 1996 the team had a losing record, matching the 8-10 mark Popp put up in his only full season as head coach in 2007. It hurt that starting quarterback Anthony Calvillo was lost for the season in August to a concussion.

This time, the team waited five days longer to name a new coach and came up with Higgins, who stepped down in December after five years as the CFL’s director of officiating.

Higgins did not even get introduced at a press conference. The club said “time constraints and personal obligations” prevented bringing him to Montreal for the announcement, but that he will talk to the media Tuesday on a conference call.

He takes over a team that will not have CFL all-time passing leader Calvillo as its starter for the first time since 2000.

Instead, 2006 Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith and young prospect Tanner Marsh are pegged to replace the retired future Hall of Famer.

Higgins, who will turn 60 on July 13, led the Eskimos to 13-5 records twice and won a Grey Cup in 2003 in his four years with the club. He had a 28-25 record in three seasons in Calgary from 2005 to 2007.

“Tom has worked with and tutored many of the CFL’s finest quarterbacks — Doug Flutie, Henry Burris and Ricky Ray, to mention a few,” said team president Mark Weightman. “His expertise will be invaluable in the development of Troy Smith and Tanner Marsh.”

Higgins has spent 23 years in various CFL jobs, including a stint as GM in Edmonton.

A native of Woodbridge, N.J., and a former linebacker and defensive tackle, Higgins played for Calgary and Saskatchewan in the 1970s.

Popp replaced Rod Rust as coach at the end of the 2001 season, but gave way for Don Matthews the following season. He stepped in again when Matthews left for health reasons in 2006.

Marc Trestman, now coach of the Chicago Bears, coached the club from 2008-2012, winning two Grey Cups.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wetenhall made it clear in a statement that he did not want Popp, who is considered one of the CFL’s best GMs but has a career 16-20 record as a coach, to continue in both jobs.

“As I’ve expressed to the media in recent weeks, I wanted to continue with the formula which has brought us the success we’ve enjoyed these past 17 years — having a full-time head coach and a full-time general manager to fill each of these positions,” said Wetenhall.
Reading between the lines, is Wetenhall a bit tired of Jim Popp? Popp does not seem to have hid any interest in the NFL looking to hire him.
“The criteria we established was to find an individual familiar with the CFL; someone with success in that position and a background as a position coach. In addition, we sought an individual with a record for moulding and delivering championship teams.

“In Tom’s seven years as a head coach he won three division championships along with a Grey Cup, and twice earned recognition as the CFL’s coach of the year. His head coaching record of 72-53-1 speaks for itself. We welcome Tom to the Alouettes family.”
Popp had made no secret of wanting to continue coaching, but Wetenhall put out a statement recently saying candidates would be interviewed.
Wetenhall and Popp not on the same page? Is it possible Popp does not feel appreciated in Montreal? Is it possible that Wetenhall feels Popp is not loyal nor appreciative of his situation?
Higgins did not even get introduced at a press conference. The club said “time constraints and personal obligations” prevented bringing him to Montreal for the announcement, but that he will talk to the media Tuesday on a conference call.
That is just plain odd.
Higgins, who will turn 60 on July 13, led the Eskimos to 13-5 records twice and won a Grey Cup in 2003 in his four years with the club. He had a 28-25 record in three seasons in Calgary from 2005 to 2007.

“Tom has worked with and tutored many of the CFL’s finest quarterbacks — Doug Flutie, Henry Burris and Ricky Ray, to mention a few,” said team president Mark Weightman. “His expertise will be invaluable in the development of Troy Smith and Tanner Marsh.”

Higgins has spent 23 years in various CFL jobs, including a stint as GM in Edmonton.

A native of Woodbridge, N.J., and a former linebacker and defensive tackle, Higgins played for Calgary and Saskatchewan in the 1970s.
Higgins has the full resume. For some, though, he is an underwhelming choice.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Higgins played as a linebacker and defensive tackle at North Carolina State from 1973-75, before playing professionally with the Stampeders, Buffalo Bills and Saskatchewan Roughriders prior to launching his coaching career.

He was an all-ACC selection at defensive tackle in 1975, and was also a four-year member of the Wolfpack wrestling team, winning the ACC heavyweight championship in 1976. --- cfl.ca

Who knew that mild mannered Ned Flanders could be a ferocious athlete? Is there a tendency to discount his achievements as a coach?

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting that that owner made the announcement and not the General Manager
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Interesting that that owner made the announcement and not the General Manager

And he announced the HC search to be sans GM.

He has lots of reasons to keep him - football related.

Lots of reasons to want him gone - NFL rumours he seems to fuel each year now (at least he doesn't stamp them out). He hired Hawkins (I think). He doesn't live in MTL and that must grate. Small fan base.

But from a football perspective he's down MTL proud over the years.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=444642
MONTREAL -- Coach Tom Higgins calls working with general manager Jim Popp "a match made in heaven."

And the pleasantries exchanged between the two men on a conference call on Tuesday made it hard to imagine they were rivals for the Montreal Alouettes head coaches job.

That was settled when team owner Bob Wetenhall insisted that the jobs of coach and general manager be kept separate, and that Popp would have to stick to his GM duties.

"This is the model that has made us successful," said Wetenhall. "This has given Jim the time and the freedom to go out and build our team, year after year, always with a few new players added.

"To have a GM with the freedom and the time to do this is the model we really wanted to go back to."

In the 59-year-old Higgins, the Alouettes hired a CFL veteran who spent seven years as a head coach in Edmonton and Calgary, winning a Grey Cup with the Eskimos in 2003. The Woodbridge, N.J., native spent the last six years as the league's director of officiating.

"Tom brings a winning record and a tremendous reputation as a stand-up, high class guy," said Wetenhall.

Popp, the team's general manager since it returned to Montreal in 1996 who is considered among the CFL's best, had hoped to continue in both jobs after taking over from the fired Dan Hawkins, who had no previous CFL experience, only five games in to the 2013 campaign.

When Higgins was confirmed in the job on Monday, it raised speculation that Popp may be on his way out.

Wetenhall would not confirm Popp's long-term status with the club, but made it clear he wanted his GM to stay. And Popp, whose name has been linked to NFL jobs in recent years, said he's wants to carry on.

"I've been with the Alouettes for 18 years -- I plan on being there, it's my other home," said Popp. "I've had six children that were all born in Montreal and I really have no interest in leaving.

"Circumstances come up, but the organization knows how loyal I am. I'm a company man and it's a place I enjoy being. There's a lot that gets thrown around out there, a lot of it that's not true. But I'm very happy."

That Popp joined in the conference call was a surprise. His name wasn't mentioned in the Higgins announcement. And it was unusual that the general manager was not involved in the decision to hire the head coach.

Wetenhall's son Andrew, a team governor, said that as a candidate for the coaching job, Popp would have been in conflict of interest if he had a say in who the next coach would be. But Popp had provided the owners with a list of potential coaching candidates with an assessment of their abilities.

"This is a case where two people can work together who didn't select one another," said Andrew Wetenhall. "We have the added benefit of two guys who know each other and have a heck of a lot of respect for each other."

Higgins said he didn't feel awkward at all working with Popp.

"I couldn't be happier," he said. "I think our personalities complement one another.

"We both want the same thing. This is an opportunity for myself to get back on the field where I belong. This is not a challenge whatsoever."

Higgins' first job will be to hire an offensive co-ordinator and fill out the coaching staff, which he expects to complete within 10 days.

The Alouettes had already signed defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe to a two-year contract extension on Dec. 4, with the added title of assistant head coach.

They also confirmed that Andre Bolduc, a former CFL player and head coach at Sherbrooke University, was signed as a defensive assistant coach.

Wetenhall said one of Higgins' assets was his ability to work with young quarterbacks, which will be needed in Montreal this season.

For the first time since 2000, they will not have Anthony Calvillo as the starter as the CFL's all-time passing leader has retired.

Troy Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner, and youngster Tanner Marsh are expected to compete for the starting job, with Alex Brink also in the picture.

Higgins said he has worked with gifted young pivots before in Henry Burris and Ricky Ray. He feels the Alouettes can improve on last year's 8-10 season.

"I've always marvelled at the level of talent in Montreal," he said. "I hope to bring a level of consistency and discipline.

"We are going to be competitive and entertaining. And when you start doing that and playing disciplined football, usually you win more than you lose."
When Hugh Campbell introduced Tom Higgins as Head Coach he said that Higgins would "grow on you." For me that is true. I like his low key manner. He seems like a genuine nice guy. Can nice guys finish first? Sure. Pete Carroll is an example. Higgins is an example. Will he succeed in Montreal? Dunno about that.

No matter what the parties say, and they are all saying the right things, one senses a disconnect in Montreal. Between Popp and Wetenhall. Perhaps Popp let the NFL rumours run on too much. Perhaps Wetenhall cut Popp out of the HC search in a manner which was insulting to Popp. Whatever. I hope the Alouettes franchise stays on strong footing. With Wetenhall as owner I think it will. And Higgins is a good man. I would not be surprised to see Popp move on. But he might not want to leave unless he lands an NFL General Managership. And that might not be forthcoming.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Unlike other coaches Higgins is not a sideline cheerleader. He has a calm demeanor on the sidelines.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445432
New head coach Tom Higgins introduced the coaching staff for the Montreal Alouettes on Thursday, which includes three former coaches from the Quebec football conference.

Noel Thorpe returns as the team's defensive coordinator and adds assistant head coach and defensive backs coach to his responsibilities this season. In 2011 and 2012, Thorpe was part of the Université de Montréal coaching staff.

Rick Worman is the team's new offensive coordinator, returning to the CFL after a brief stint with Mississippi Valley State University. A former quarterback in the CFL, Worman has been a part of two Grey Cup championships over his coaching career. In 2012, he served as a scout for the Ottawa RedBlacks.

Ryan Dinwiddie returns for a second season as quarterbacks coach and is expected to work closer with the rest of the offensive staff. Erik Campbell also returns for his second season as receivers coach as does Mark Speckman as running backs coach.

Former Université de Sherbrooke head coach André Bolduc debuts as the team's offensive quality control coach and special teams assistant. Jean-Vincent Posy-Audette, a former member of Bolduc's staff at Sherbrooke, is the team's new defensive assistant and special teams assistant.

And following a stellar 13-year playing career in the CFL, former defensive end Anwar Stewart will make his coaching debut in 2014 after being named the club's new defensive quality control coach.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Offensive and defensive quality control coach ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445512
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have brought back a familiar face and fan favourite, naming former quarterback Buck Pierce the team's new running backs coach.

Pierce announced his retirement from the CFL on Tuesday after nine seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and B.C. Lions, finishing with 15,289 yards, 76 touchdowns, 1,200 completions, and 130 games played.

"Deciding not to play football anymore was a difficult decision, but having the opportunity to re-join the Bombers in a coaching role was really a purrfect fit. I am thrilled they wanted me to be a part of what I believe will be a great thing here in Winnipeg. I said when I was traded that I hoped one day I would be back in some capacity, and today is a really special day for my family and me," said Pierce.

One of the most popular players to don a Bomber uniform over the past decade, Pierce was traded to the B.C. Lions in September after spending close to four seasons in Winnipeg.

"Buck has been through the trenches as a quarterback in this league. He has great experience, and will be a valued asset to our coaching staff," said Head Coach Mike O'Shea. "He will be able to relate to our players very well, and the ability to add a former CFL quarterback to our staff was important to us. He will be a great teacher to our running backs and a strength to our offensive staff."

"We are very excited to welcome Buck back to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. His dedication to our community, our organization, and his passion to be a winner, makes this a great fit for not only our football operations, but our entire organization. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are a better franchise with Buck Pierce a part of it, and I'm very pleased Kyle and Mike were able to bring him on board," said President and CEO Wade Miller.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"Deciding not to play football anymore was a difficult decision, but having the opportunity to re-join the Bombers in a coaching role was really a purrfect fit. I am thrilled they wanted me to be a part of what I believe will be a great thing here in Winnipeg. I said when I was traded that I hoped one day I would be back in some capacity, and today is a really special day for my family and me," said Pierce.

"Buck has been through the trenches as a quarterback in this league. He has great experience, and will be a valued asset to our coaching staff," said Head Coach Mike O'Shea. "He will be able to relate to our players very well, and the ability to add a former CFL quarterback to our staff was important to us. He will be a great teacher to our running backs and a strength to our offensive staff."

"We are very excited to welcome Buck back to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. His dedication to our community, our organization, and his passion to be a winner, makes this a great fit for not only our football operations, but our entire organization. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are a better franchise with Buck Pierce a part of it, and I'm very pleased Kyle and Mike were able to bring him on board," said President and CEO Wade Miller.
I fully expect Buck to be an outstanding coach. :thup:

Good move by the Bombers.