CFL Coaches -- Buh Buh ... Benny and the Cats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Actually, I thought DelMonaco got the most out of what he had to work with in Winnipeg. Their best O-lineman was probably Glenn January, then Steve Morley but after that it was pretty slim pickings. He managed to turn a spare part here (Justin Sorensen) into a starting center. Not a great one, but a full-time starter.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Actually, I thought DelMonaco got the most out of what he had to work with in Winnipeg. Their best O-lineman was probably Glenn January, then Steve Morley but after that it was pretty slim pickings. He managed to turn a spare part here (Justin Sorensen) into a starting center. Not a great one, but a full-time starter.

Now how does that compare to the Lions guru of an OL coach and what he had to work with?
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Life's biggest mysteries: Stonehenge, the Bermuda Triangle, crop circles, and Dan Dorazio.

By all accounts, the man knows offensive line play. He's been coaching for over 40 years and could teach it in his sleep. He is astute, innovative, motivational, and most everyone who plays under him are loyal Dan Disciples. Chris Burns routinely calls him the best position coach in football. Period.

Why then do we chronically under achieve at this most important position? Why do so many O-linemen that we draft flame out within 3 years? Sure, statistically we have had good years under his guidance - like in 2012 when we led league in fewest sacks surrendured. But that was somewhat misleading with a quarterback who routinely ran for his life and/or threw the ball out of bounds. Back injury notwithstanding, even the great Jovan Olyfioye seems to have regressed slightly in his time here.

In Dan's defense, when we changed our schemes late last season and run blocked more, our O-line was able to impose its will. Perhaps that is the key. Maybe things are overly complicated for them. Perhaps they have too much information stored in their brains during pass protection and 'think' the game too much instead of relying on athleticism and technique.That's the only explanation I have for this mystery.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
In Dan's defense, when we changed our schemes late last season and run blocked more, our O-line was able to impose its will. Perhaps that is the key. Maybe things are overly complicated for them. Perhaps they have too much information stored in their brains during pass protection and 'think' the game too much instead of relying on athleticism and technique.That's the only explanation I have for this mystery.

So offensive line performance improves when teams run the ball more? Who knew? (Hint: not the recently departed OC, apparently.)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Life's biggest mysteries: Stonehenge, the Bermuda Triangle, crop circles, and Dan Dorazio.

By all accounts, the man knows offensive line play. He's been coaching for over 40 years and could teach it in his sleep. He is astute, innovative, motivational, and most everyone who plays under him are loyal Dan Disciples. Chris Burns routinely calls him the best position coach in football. Period.

Why then do we chronically under achieve at this most important position? Why do so many O-linemen that we draft flame out within 3 years? Sure, statistically we have had good years under his guidance - like in 2012 when we led league in fewest sacks surrendured. But that was somewhat misleading with a quarterback who routinely ran for his life and/or threw the ball out of bounds. Back injury notwithstanding, even the great Jovan Olyfioye seems to have regressed slightly in his time here.

Good summary, David.

Been saying this for years. Developed a sense of guilt. LOL

Great guy. Mixed results. Terrible lack of development of NI O Linemen in his 11 years here. IMO ... That might change with Norman and Fabien. And it is not as if we have not been trying to draft and develop. Many wasted picks on guys later deemed too small.

And mixed results with the imports as well. Backsliding seeming to occur over time.

And as I have suggested, in regard to the run game and pass protection, I had the sense that Dan D and JC were not always on the same page. Even just the dysfunction in pass protection and the run game would seem to indicate this.

We have had some gangbusters runnning game years. Joe Smith. Andrew Harris. And many dry spells, when we have gone away from the run game.

We have had statistical years with low sack totals. And yet, as mentioned, at times this seems to be as a result of quarterback magic and elusiveness. At other times, it is like a jail break as pass rushers pursue our QB. It looks like a tsunami.

Whatever, it is what it is ... and what it is is we have a lifer coach in Wally's World.

Hopefully Khari and Dan D can work together smoothly. Khari has said the right things in regard to the run game. I do hope Dan D can keep things simple for his O Linemen. Just pound the defence. Not too much in the head. Automatic play. Get the game going downhill.

And it seems to me we are going to have do something to keep Kelly Bates on our staff. He will be looking for greener pastures. More responsibility. Running back coach and personnel work -- is that enough?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/milanovich-in ... hing-staff
Milanovich introduces 2014 Argos coaching staff

Posted: February 13, 2014 11:00 AM

Argonauts.ca Staff

TORONTO -- Toronto Argonauts Head Coach Scott Milanovich has officially named his 2014 coaching staff.

Jim Daley has been named Special Teams Coordinator, Pat Perles has been named Offensive Line Coach, Casey Creehan will be Linebackers Coach, and Will Plemons has been appointed Defensive Line Coach. Returning coach, Eddie Brown becomes the Defensive & Special Teams Assistant.

With these new additions, the 2014 Toronto Argonauts coaching staff is as follows:

Head Coach: Scott Milanovich
Offensive Coordinator: Marcus Brady
Defensive Coordinator: Tim Burke
Special Teams Coordinator: Jim Daley
Receivers Coach: Jason Maas
Offensive Line Coach: Pat Perles
Running Backs Coach & Video Coordinator: Anthony Ierullo
Defensive & Special Teams Assistant: Eddie Brown
Linebackers Coach: Casey Creehan
Defensive Line Coach: Will Plemons

“I am extremely excited and proud of the staff that will lead our football team into the 2014 season, all of whom have prior CFL experience and are tremendous teachers that I believe our players will embrace and respond to,” said Milanovich.

Jim Daley comes to the Argos with over 20 years of CFL coaching experience. His career began in 1992 when he got his start with the Ottawa Rough Riders working with their special teams and then later their defensive line. He won a Grey Cup in 2001 with the Calgary Stampeders and also appeared in a Grey Cup game as the Head Coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1997.

He spent the 2012 season as Special Teams Coordinator for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats where his unit put up outstanding numbers and seemed to be able to score on command.

“I have previously worked with Jim Daley and he brings a wealth of experience to our staff, most recently as the coordinator for Hamilton’s record setting special teams in 2012," Mlanovich said.

Casey Creehan comes to the Argos with nine years of CFL experience having coached for four CFL teams, all in various capacities ranging from defensive line coach to defensive coordinator. Creehan was most recently the defensive coordinator for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers where his aggressive defensive strategies yielded an incredible 51 sacks in 2013.

"I have also coached with Casey Creehan in the past. He is an experienced, young coach with tremendous energy and a history of motivating his players to compete with the same passion he brings to the game," Milanovich commented.

Pat Perles joins Toronto’s coaching staff with over 24 years of coaching experience, including a five years in the CFL from 1994 to 1999. He has also coached for major NCAA football programs as well as NFL teams including the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

Most recently, he was the Offensive Line Coach at Syracuse University where the Orange average more than 194 yards on the ground per game – which ranked among the best in the country.

Will Plemons joined the CFL in 2012 after more than a decade of coaching on the defensive side of the ball at the NCAA level. Prior to coming to Toronto, he spent his first two seasons in Canada with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers where he coached one of the most dominant defensive lines in the league. While there, he mobilized a line that contributed 74 of the team’s 94 quarterback sacks from 2012 to 2013.

"Will Plemons is a tremendous technician and has had great success in Winnipeg developing his players into fierce pass rushers. Pat Perles has experience in the CFL, NFL and Division 1 college football. He will do a tremendous job in leading our offensive line in the protection of our quarterbacks,” added Milanovich.
We've got some outstanding coaches in the CFL. I would suggest that John Hufnagel, Scott Milanovich and Kent Austin are as good as it gets. Corey Chambin did a great job with Regina last year.

Dunno if Jim Popp is going to stay HC this year in Montreal. Looks like it.

New OC, Khari Jones with B.C., along with new DC, Mark Washington, providing the Xs and Os for Head Coach Mike Benevides.

New guys Mike O'Shea in Winnipeg, Chris Jones in Edmonton, Rich Campbell in Ottawa.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/
New Ticats chose Hamilton for a bunch of reasons (but the main one starts with W)
There are many reasons why free agents choose one team over another. Money, of course, is a principal factor. But in the CFL, where the differences in contract offers can be measured in the thousands instead of the millions, economics is only one of many factors at play.

Each of the three new Ticats introduced on Thursday — Butler, offensive lineman Steve Myddelton and defensive back Brandon Stewart — spoke effusively about the opportunity to play for a competitive franchise. Winning is perhaps the most attractive selling point Hamilton has to offer at the moment — imagine saying that five years ago — because it offers the only semblance of job security the football business has to offer. And because winning is fun. Really, really fun.
Again, the powers of Kent Austin are at play. The consensus among CFL players appears to be that Austin has both the will and ability to create a winning franchise — Stewart, like new quarterback Zach Collaros before him, referred to Austin as a "genius" — and that has made Hamilton an attractive place to play.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Austin is a recent enough player that has had success as a Coach, I guess he's going to attact players.

I don't know what these things will be. I have gotten the impression that the players in the CFL do keep each other informed. So, IOW, if a Coach/City is somewhere you'd want to be or not be, the CFL players grapevine will let you know.........
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I can't comment on what Dorazio was as a coach, although one would likely say successful, but over the past 5 years in BC, he has been anything but...in fact it is appalling to look back at what we have drafted at the position, AND what we have brought in via the NFL and our tryout camps and then to compare to where we are right now...whatever may be said of Dorazio's past, the FACT is he shouldn't be coaching our OLine right now...and yet Wally has allowed this to continue knowing full well that we have a FANTASTIC replacement coach chomping at the bit to take over...

Wally''s old school ways biting him in the toushy a little bit????
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

On the Argos list of coaches Maas has moved IIRC from QB to REC Coach. I guess the feeling is that Marcus Brady doesn't need him in the QB coach role and that makes some sense.

It was interesting to hear Wally say out loud the words media training will tell you never to say - and those are the reporters' words when you don't agree with them as they'll put that in the paper as they did. He openly spoke about the HC not winning a play off game as a factor or not in attracting players to BC. Media training says just say no. He has done that more now since he is no longer HC.

I suspect most FAs are going for the money but I'd have thought if a player like Butler lived in the lower mainland and had year round costs to pay not just seasonal that there'd be a home town sort of break as he'd not need the extra to live on.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: It was interesting to hear Wally say out loud the words media training will tell you never to say - and those are the reporters' words when you don't agree with them as they'll put that in the paper as they did. He openly spoke about the HC not winning a play off game as a factor or not in attracting players to BC. Media training says just say no. He has done that more now since he is no longer HC.
Wally is creating a bit of separation for himself from Benny, who can't have been all that happy to hear it.

Radical surgery:

* Releasing Rich Stubler. He could be blamed for the playoff loss to Regina, not adjusting to Durant running the ball. Not sure if that would be fair, in view of his overall record with the Lions.

* Releasing Jacques Chapdelaine. He could be blamed for what? Earlier, ongoing fan frustration? Earlier lack of running game? Earlier questionable pass protection? I think Wally said that it was a case of JC not being marketable to the fan base. Is that a good reason? It does take the heat off Benny and Wally.

When Wally talked about why free agents did not jump on the Lions' bandwagon, and gave lack of playoff wins as a reason, he did not mention player uncertainty with the new OC and DC. Players know Stubler. They know Chapdelaine. I don't think either one was an impediment to attracting free agents. Quite the opposite I would think.

Do the players around the league have impressions of the coaches, including Mike Benevides? Absolutely. Benny took over a Grey Cup championship team. No playoff wins as of yet, under his leadership.

Hamilton scored well in FA from the get go. IMO Much of that must be due to the players belief in Kent Austin as a GM and Head Coach.

As time moves on, there is less of a buffer for Wally. Both the DC and OC have been jettisoned (Scapegoats?). His Head Coach, Mike Benevides, must surely now come under the heat of the media spotlights.

Wally and Benny are working hard. But it seems to me the ball game has changed, and risen a level or two in its competitiveness. Was it not a surprise to Mike and Wally when both Paul LaPolice and George Cortez turned them down? (What? People don't have us as the place to be?) Were not Wally and Benny surprised when their "very competitive" FA offers were rejected, sometimes for lesser offers? (What? We are not the automatic first choice for players? They choose Hufnagel or Austin over us?)

The ball game is changing. Adapt or die.

It seems clear that we are no longer a preseason favourite. It seems clear to me that we do not have the best O Line in the league. Nor the best D Line. DBs pretty good, with a soft spot or two, and some weak tackling. Linebackers excellent. QB, receivers, RB all first rate. So, if we do not have the best talent, nor the best coaching staff (unproven as thay are), expectations might be muted somewhat.

In the CFL, if you are close to challenging, and we might be close, with our star players, anything is possible. So we will see ... And it will be interesting.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:........In the CFL, if you are close to challenging, and we might be close, with our star players, anything is possible. So we will see ... And it will be interesting.
I've got my negative ned chapeau on at the moment and I'll be thrilled to eat some :crow: come the end of playoffs......

Football Culture is certainly a topic being spoken about in lots of places (Miami, Seattle). I was thrilled with my perception of Lions culture a few seasons ago..........
South Pender
Legend

This may be a naive question, but could Vancouver's cost of living be a factor? Your salary will go a lot further in Regina, Montreal, and Hamilton than here....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:This may be a naive question, but could Vancouver's cost of living be a factor? Your salary will go a lot further in Regina, Montreal, and Hamilton than here....
SP, for me, I don't see it as a consideration.

Most of these guys are not living high on the hog. They bunk up, sharing quarters. Use SkyTrain. Get quite a bit of freebie food. It seems to me they can live economically here.

Just IMO ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions have added NFL player and coach Johnny Holland as linebackers coach.
BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that veteran NFL linebacker coach Johnny Holland has joined the club’s staff.

Holland begins his first season with the Lions following a 17-year NFL coaching career which included stops in Green Bay, Detroit, Seattle, Texas and Oakland. Most recently, he was a guest coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2013.

“Johnny is a highly-regarded and respected coach who brings a high level of expertise to the position,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “He is a great addition to our staff and our players will benefit tremendously from both his playing and coaching experience.”

Prior to his coaching days, Holland played seven seasons with Green Bay after being selected in the second round of the 1987 NFL Draft. The talented Texas A&M grad and consensus All-American in 1985 played in 103 games as a pro and notched six consecutive seasons with at least 100 tackles. He was named to the Packers' Hall of Fame in 2001.
Link with full bio and video

That appears to complete the coaching staff.

Mike Benevides Head Coach
Mark Washington Defensive Coordinator
Khari Jones Offensive Coordinator and QB's Coach
Chuck McMann Special Teams Coordinator
Dan Dorazio Offensive Line Coach
Kelly Bates Running Backs Coach & CFL Draft Coordinator
Joe Paopao Receivers Coach
Carl Hairston Defensive Line Coach
Johnny Holland Linebackers Coach
Have the Lions had a press conference in regard to their coaching staff, as a group? Many changes this year.

I seem to recall a press conference for Mark W. Was there one for Khari Jones?

I expect Mark W will be DB coach as well as DC.

Holland sounds like a good addition.
It looks like the Lions had a press conference today.

The only bit I have seen is this:
"This is about winning championships." - Coach Benevides introducing your 2014 BC Lions coaching staff.
Start with one. Check that. Start with a playoff win.