CFL Coaches -- Buh Buh ... Benny and the Cats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Who is the Bomber QB coach and will he be looking over his shoulder at Pierce?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Who is the Bomber QB coach and will he be looking over his shoulder at Pierce?
Gene Dahlquist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Dahlquist
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow, that was fast!

Yes, good move by the Bombers.

I don't think I'm saying anything I shouldn't say but in Buck's early days with the Bombers I was told by sources that Buck would likely make Winnipeg his home after football. IIRC I got this info before the season even started. He really loved it there.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Wow, that was fast!

Yes, good move by the Bombers.

I don't think I'm saying anything I shouldn't say but in Buck's early days with the Bombers I was told by sources that Buck would likely make Winnipeg his home after football. IIRC I got this info before the season even started. He really loved it there.
Getting weird for me now. Watching new guys come in to try their hand at the CFL and WHAM, a few years later they've had a wonderful carreer and I'll be getting to watch them prowl the sidelines as Coaches.

I'm sure happy for Buck and the Bombers.........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/familiar-face ... hing-staff
THE CANADIAN PRESS

Familiar Faces: Austin unveils 2014 coaching staff

Posted: March 19, 2014 11:00 AM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

HAMILTON -- Head coach Kent Austin's staff with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats is staying pretty much intact.

Austin unveiled his 2014 staff Wednesday with Marcello Simmons the lone new addition as defensive and special-teams assistant. As well, John Zamberlin will serve as an assistant special-teams coach and U.S. scout after two seasons as the club's linebackers coach.

Jeff Reinebold returns as special-teams co-ordinator and will also serve as linebackers coach.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have a budding star in Defensive Coordinator Orlondo Steinauer, but they better enjoy it while it lasts.

Austin, 'Cats Made Voice Heard in FA
More Tiger-Cats headlines

The other returnees include Tommy Condell (offensive co-ordinator, receivers coach), Orlondo Steinauer (defensive co-ordinator), Allen Rudolph (offensive line coach), Corey Grant (running backs coach, offensive quality control), Dennis McPhee (defensive line coach) and James Stanley (defensive backs coach).

Austin guided Hamilton to a 10-8 record and second-place finish in the East Division in his first season as the team's head coach and GM. The Ticats defeated Montreal and Toronto in the East Division playoffs before losing 47-23 to Saskatchewan in the Grey Cup.

The entire 2014 Hamilton Tiger-Cats coaching staff looks like this:

Kent Austin | Head Coach, GM and VP of Football Operations
Tommy Condell | Offensive Coordinator and Receivers Coach
Orlondo Steinauer | Defensive Coordinator
Jeff Reinebold | Special Teams Coordinator and Linebackers Coach
Allen Rudolph | Offensive Line Coach
Corey Grant | Running Backs and Offensive Quality Control Coach
Dennis McPhee | Defensive Line Coach
James Stanley | Defensive Backs Coach
John Zamberlin | Assistant Special Teams Coach and U.S. Scout
Marcello Simmons | Assistant Defensive and Special Teams Coach
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Excerpts from the article by Ed Willes ...
But this season is notable for other reasons. The Lions’ lineup will feature familiar faces interspersed with a handful of newbies — including a revamped offensive line — but the biggest changes are on the coaching staff, where Khari Jones takes over from Jacques Chapdelaine as the offensive co-ordinator and Mark Washington succeeds Rich Stubler as the defensive co-ordinator.

Both the outgoing men had their critics, but whatever else they were, Stubler represents over 40 years experience in the CFL and Chapdelaine has been coaching for some 25 years. Jones will be in his sixth year of coaching. This will be Washington’s first year as a co-ordinator after six seasons as a Lions’ assistant.

“We have two young men who are very intelligent who have the opportunity to take the next step in their careers,” Leos head coach Mike Benevides said of Jones and Washington.

“But it also means I want to do things differently on my football team. What you’re going to get first and foremost is a different attitude and a different approach.”

Then Benevides added this: “The guys who are here clearly understand this is my football team.”

The comment was volunteered and it might be a mistake to read too much into it. But, given the considerable shadow cast by Buono, Benevides’ place on the team merits some discussion. The head coach is back for his third year, and, thus far, he’s gone 24-12 in the regular season. That, however, has been offset by an 0-2 record in the playoffs which might be the more relevant measuring stick.

Late last season, moreover, Buono made his displeasure with the coaching staff known and appeared to take an active role in redesigning the Lions’ running game. They responded with wins over Edmonton and Calgary in their final two games, then the near-miss in Regina.
Benny wanted his own OC and DC. Although he chose Stubler, I expect Stubes valued his own ideas more than the man he mentored.

Yes, it seemed that Wally stepped in and brought change to the running game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Benevides was asked why he went out of his way to declare this was his team.

“The shadow of Wally will never go away,” he said. “I understand that, but I also understand we’re better together than we are apart.”

The two men also have a working relationship that stretches back over 15 years. Still, it should be noted Benevides inherited Chapdelaine and Stubler, while Jones and Washington are his guys, which should mean there won’t be any confusion about Benevides’ preferred style of play.

If you were wondering, it goes back to that playoff loss in Regina.
I was very happy with the changes to the blocking scheme, and to our emphasis on the running game late last year.

Hopefully that continues.

The jury is still out on Benny though. Time for some playoff wins.

Blitz
Team Captain

Its certainly been an interesting off-season in which we said goodbye to two very experienced offensive coordinators in Stubler (quickly picked up by Hufnagel) and Chapdelaine (hired as HC by SFU), the promotion of Washington as Defensive Coordinator, the hiring of Khari Jones (who was not our first or second choice) as Offensive Coordinator, the surprising hire of much travelled Joe PaoPao as receivers coach, the loss of Moore, Banks etc, and the targeting of a number of free agents, none of whom choice to sign herem, except for Jamal Johbnson.

There is a time for change. The key is to make the right changes. The Vancouver Canucks decided last season that the Canucks had become stale under AV but the hiring of Torterella was not the right change.

Its easy to forget that our Leos were a team in decline from 2008-2010 as well as they had anorther horrible start to the season in 2011. A winning streak in 2011, culminating in a Grey Cup win under Buono tended to obscure the fact that our Leos had not been a good team for an extended period of time. Buono was wise to take that Grey Cup winning season, when a lot of things went right, bank it, and say goodbye to the HC position. Another Grey Cup season would have been hard to duplciate for Buono and the majority of sports media and Leo fans had determined that Wally was past his best before date as a Head Coach.

Enter Benedes as our selected Head Coach by Buono. No other candidates were interviewed. Benevedes hired Stubler as Defensive Coordinator and continued with Chapdelaine as OC. Both coordinators had more experience and more success in their respective coordinator positions than Benevedes. In 2012 our defense set many new records while becoming the CF's best defense and the offence also stepped up from 2011 to be the CFL's leading offence in 2012. However a WDF loss to Calgary spoiled an impressive 2012 season. In 2013 the defense led the CFL for most of the season before slipping a little while the offence had a number of struggles before righting itself towards the end of the season with a new run blocking scheme and the addition of a new tailback and a two back running attack that was dominating and impressive in its last 3 games and playoff game.

Our Lions offence ended the season strong, after its mid-season struggles but our defense faltered in the fourth quarter against Regina. The mid-season offensive struggles under Chapdelaine and the playoff fourth quarter playoff defensive collapse would cost both Chapdelaine and Stubler their jobs.

Stubler had been a Benevedes hire in 2012. Benevedes had hired Stubler once before as his defennsive line coach and Stubler had often played a mentorship role while in that postion. Stubler was only going to remain in the defensive coordinator postion as long as the defense was outstanding. Buono likes to develop his assistants from within and Stubler was an outsider who had not been developed as a coach in the "Wally Way". Wally had been loyal to Chapdelaine for a very long time but with too many fans frustrated and wanting Chap gone and potential gate revenue being affected, Chap was cut loose.

In terms of coaching Wally could have gone either way. He could have argued that Chap's offence was more than good enough to win a Grey Cup in 2011 and was the best offence in the CFL in 2012, and 2013 was a tough year with Lulay's injury and playing an inexperienced DeMarco, but had righted itself to look dominant at the end of the 2013 season or he could determine that the offence needed change at the leadership position and he determined the latter. Buono also could have determined that Stubler had an impressive resume, the CFL's best defense in 2012 and a very good one still in 2013, even without a decent pass rush but chose to say goodbye to Stubler instead and move up Washington.

The dismissals of Stubler and Chapdelaine were effective in alleviating Lion fans frustration with the 2013 season while also deflecting heat away from Benevedes, who was the man most responsble and most accountable for our 2012 and 2013 playoff losses. The changes also provided new hope for Leo fans for 2014.

I believe the releases of Stubler and Chapdelaine were most influenced by Buono. Buono was pissed at Stubler for the loss in Regina and came to the conclusion that Chap had to go, in terms of potential lost revenue. Benevedes was a Stubler fan and Benevedes had called Chapdealine the best offensive coordintor in the CFL during our mid-season struggles in 2013. Benevedes may have concurred with Wally but the impetus for both to go, I believe, was Buono''s call.

The big question for 2014 is not whether change was needed but rather have we made the right changes. Defensively, Washington has played under Dave Ritchie and coached under both Benevedes and Stubler. I believe that Washington will want a more aggressive defense, like the one he played in under Dave Ritchie and the record breaking type of defense we also used in 2012 under Stubler. However, the big question is whether Washington has the players to play an aggressive style.

In 2013, Stubler had to play a less aggressive style of defense and rely on disguising a lot of pass defence coverages because we did not have the pass rush. In 2011 and 2012, we were able to get great pressure on opposing quarterbacks due to the talent of our defensive line. If we are unable to upgrade our defensive line in 2014, Washington will have challenges attempting to play an aggressive style.

Offensively, Khari Jones is not going to revamp the offence. The overall scheme of the offence is just too good. Khari Jones will run Chap's motion/misdirection offence this season and has basically said so. He will make some modifications but the key to our offence in 2014 will be to continue with the run blocking scheme we used at the end of the 2013 season and base our offence on our dual running attack of Logan and Harris. That will set up play action, put less pressure on Lulay, and enable Lulay to do what he does best, which is to be a run/pass threat coming off play action.

If Kirby Fabian can come back fully healthy and effective and Steward can step into the other guard position and we can find an effective import tackle our offensive line should be an upgrade on last season and make our running attack very effective. I can't see Joe PaoPao being a better receivers coach than Chapdelaine but he will add an experienced set of eyes in the spotter's booth.

I think the keys to 2014 are to upgrade our pass rush on defense to be able to play more aggresively and to be become an effective run first offensive football team that uses play action off the run effectively with an upgraded offensive line. If we can do those things 2014 will be a successful season. If we can't we will have our struggles.

One thing for sure. Benevedes has bean able to avoid a lot of the spotlight, with Wally often being front and center and Chap and Stubler taking the heat when things didn't go well. That won't be the case this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good synopsis, Blitz.

Not all sweetness and light. Not all doom and gloom.

We do have a great number of concerns with the Lions. Perhaps most importantly, two unproven coordinators, and a Head Coach, with limited credentials, chosen by his mentor.

We don't know how this season will unfold. In the CFL virtually any team can win it all. So we have hopes. Rightfully so. We have a lot of talent, and a lot of stars. But we have soft spots in the roster.

Best to look at both sides, methinks ... Although I know most fans certainly prefer the positive.

Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good synopsis, Blitz.

Not all sweetness and light. Not all doom and gloom.

We do have a great number of concerns with the Lions. Perhaps most importantly, two unproven coordinators, and a Head Coach, with limited credentials, chosen by his mentor.

We don't know how this season will unfold. In the CFL virtually any team can win it all. So we have hopes. Rightfully so. We have a lot of talent, and a lot of stars. But we have soft spots in the roster.

Best to look at both sides, methinks ... Although I know most fans certainly prefer the positive.
I agree WCJ. Right now its mixed bag for me...one part of me is concerned, another part hopeful and positive.

The area that I feel most confident about is our running game. It sure looked good in the final 3 games of last season, averaging over 200 yards per game - that's impressive. With Logan and Harris back and the time to prepare how to use these two backs most effectively, its easy to feel positive in this area of our Leos football team, going into 2014.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I really like the fact that Jones is basically going to use Chaps excellent play book but I gather that there might be some different terminology. I have always found Chaps play calling to be very frustrating and so Jones should be a noticeable upgrade, I hope.

Blitz, your take on Stubler's departure may be correct, but I believe that there was another bigger consideration on the part of the Lions: With all the coaching changes happening in the CFL, it was almost a certainty that Washington would be offered a DC job by other CFL teams. So the Lions where forced to choose and I like the fact that they chose the younger guy who will likely implement a more aggressive attack style higher risk D. But as you pointed out, Stubler is not part of the Wally developmental program and Mark Washington, as a former Lion player and long time DB coach, certainly is.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I really like the fact that Jones is basically going to use Chaps excellent play book but I gather that there might be some different terminology. I have always found Chaps play calling to be very frustrating and so Jones should be a noticeable upgrade, I hope.

Blitz, your take on Stubler's departure may be correct, but I believe that there was another bigger consideration on the part of the Lions: With all the coaching changes happening in the CFL, it was almost a certainty that Washington would be offered a DC job by other CFL teams. So the Lions where forced to choose and I like the fact that they chose the younger guy who will likely implement a more aggressive attack style higher risk D. But as you pointed out, Stubler is not part of the Wally developmental program and Mark Washington, as a former Lion player and long time DB coach, certainly is.
No doubt that Jones will use a lot of Chap's scheme and playbook and also introduce some changes. Some of the changes I anticipate seeing are no hand signals (Chap had about 120 of them he could use) and as you stated, some simpler terminology. Chap could be rigid at times, get locked in at times, and become too conservative at times. But overall I really liked his scheme from 2011 on.

However, I think the biggest difference will be relationships. Chap was wound very tight and tended to be an authoritarian style "systems' type of coordinator, focused on execuition. The advantage I think we will see in Jones is that he is a former quarterback, which will help Lulay, that he will likely have better rapport with his offensive players, and that he will be a better communicator. Those should all bode well as he gains experience as an offensive coordinator.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Again, welcome back Blitz...excellent analysis...This is Benny's baby for sure...and the only way he will be able to start winning playoff games is by controlling the LOS and protecting his QB. On offence, as you say, Kirby Fabien and Hunter Steward are key...Jone's system will be run first, and lots of play action, so the OLine will be "protected" as well, helping the young Canadians out a lot. We have a chance on offence, as is, to be a very good unit, that can score, even in the playoffs. But unless the Lions DLine improves and LaRose is replaced at safety, it won't matter much. Your defence has to be able to make key stops when they absolutely have to...that is why Stubler is gone. Washington is a smart, young guy, but he can't play DT himself. Is Khalif Mitchell the guy? The difference maker? I don't know...but I do know this, if our DLine can simply tie up the OLine and prevent them from getting off the line, our LBing crew will destroy opponents, and cause turnovers. So at whatever price, we must get better on the DLine, ultimately this will be the biggest key to the season.

As for Paopao, I think you nailed it. Joe is known as a great spotter (Eye in the Sky), and will be able to help Jones/the offence out a lot during games.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/wo ... alouettes/
Associated Press

June 9, 2014, 10:43 PM

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes announced Monday that offensive co-ordinator Rick Worman has been relieved of his duties just three months after being brought in as part of the new coaching staff.

Worman, a former CFL quarterback, was hired on Mar. 6, nine days after Tom Higgins was named the Alouettes head coach for the 2014 season.

A former offensive co-ordinator with the Edmonton Eskimos and Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Worman was expected to be in charge of implementing an offensive system and work out who would be the starting the quarterback after the retirement of Anthony Calvillo.

The Alouettes went 8-10 last season, finishing third in the East Division.

Montreal’s first of two pre-season games will be on Saturday against the Tiger-Cats in Hamilton.
Unusual. Strange. In the middle of TC. I have lots of sympathy for CFL coaches.

Worman has been around.

Ex-QB. Calgary. Edmonton. Saskatchewan.

OC with Winnipeg, Edmonton and Montreal.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/A ... story.html
Alouettes fire offensive coordinator Rick Worman

By Herb Zurkowsky, THE GAZETTE June 10, 2014

The Alouettes have fired offensive coordinator Rick Worman late Monday afternoon. Head coach Tom Higgins, above, is expected to comment on Tuesday, following practice.

Photograph by: Dario Ayala , The Gazette

LENNOXVILLE — In a stunning move barely more than a week into training camp, the Alouettes fired offensive coordinator Rick Worman late Monday afternoon.

The news was first reported by montrealgazette.com via Twitter. When reached by telephone Monday night, Worman confirmed the news to The Gazette.

“I’m in shock right now,” said Worman, who joined the staff of head coach Tom Higgins only last March.

The Als issued a release shortly before 10 p.m., stating only that Worman had been relieved of his duties. General manager Jim Popp couldn’t be reached for comment, although the release stated both Popp and Higgins would be available for comment on Tuesday, following practice.

It’s expected Ryan Dinwiddie, a former Canadian Football League quarterback, will replace Worman, although no announcement was made by the team. Dinwiddie this season was promoted to quarterback coach by the Als after serving as the team’s offensive quality control coach in 2013.

According to a source, Worman, 50, learned of his dismissal late in the afternoon, following meetings and as he was preparing to go to dinner. The news was delivered to him by Popp, although Higgins was present at the time.

The news started circulating throughout the Bishop’s University campus, where the Als opened training camp on June 1, following a short rookie camp. Any players who were unaware at that time learned of Worman’s fate when they convened for evening meetings and film review.

Worman was one of two coaches hired by Higgins, along with offensive-line coach Kris Sweet. Higgins inherited the remainder of his staff — some of whom were holdovers from last season under former head coach Dan Hawkins.

Hawkins was fired only five games into his first season with the team at 2-3. He was replaced by Popp. Montreal finished third in the East Division, at 8-10, losing the division semifinal in overtime on the road against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

After Hawkins was fired, the Als announced Mike Miller, the assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, had been demoted and would coach the QBs exclusively. At the same time, Popp announced Doug Berry, the senior advisor to the head coach, would take over play-calling duties — although he never officially was named the coordinator.

Neither Miller nor Berry remain with the organization.

If the Als appeared dysfunctional last season, firing Worman this early into camp will only reinforce that perception.

With the retirement of Anthony Calvillo, Worman inherited a slew of inexperienced pivots, led by former Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith, expected to be the team’s starter. Smith is entering his second season with the Als, as is Tanner Marsh. Also on the roster are Alex Brink, who has CFL experience, and rookie Collin Klein, himself a former Heisman finalist.

Worman was signed to a one-year contract. He probably was earning between $100,000 and $120,000. Worman came to the Als following one season as QB coach at Mississippi Valley State. Montreal’s responsible for the remainder of his contract. The Als also are paying Hawkins for the next two seasons.

Worman was a QB in the CFL between 1986-91. He had two stints with Calgary, and also played for Edmonton and Saskatchewan.

He was Winnipeg’s offensive coordinator in 2001, when the Blue Bombers went 14-4 and reached the Grey Cup. He coached the Eskimos’ quarterbacks in 2007, before being promoted to OC in 2008. He left the organization the following season.

He was Hamilton’s running-backs coach in 2011.

Worman didn’t even get to coach in an exhibition game, so it’s obvious problems must have existed — either with his system or his relationship with the players or coaches.

The Als meet the Tiger-Cats Saturday afternoon at McMaster University.