Rogers NHL contract & the CFL on TSN....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

All of you will have read by now that Rogers has bid several billion for the exclusive rights to NHL hockey over the next twelve years, and both TSN & CBC have been demoted to special teams roles.

I was saying this was going to happen months ago to a buddy of mine who worked at CBC & was fielding job offers from CTV. When the CBC loses hockey, what's going to happen to the network's revenues? If they aren't going to lose hockey, why did the head of programming jump, unannounced, to Twitter of all places? Jump, I said, jump, jump, jump. He did and his profile has never been higher.

This morning, working under tight deadlines and procrastinating like a college freshman, I've been thinking about what this means for the CFL, and I think we're going to see TSN evolve into a brilliant non-NHL-hockey channel.

If TSN can't devote hours of coverage to hockey like they once did, it stands to reason that they will broadcast more international sports (F1, Rugby, Soccer, etc). This will make for a more interesting channel. On top of that, what untapped Canadian properties could TSN more fully exploit? Given CFL TV numbers, if I were TSN I would start talks with the league to fast-track a tenth CFL team, adding another game to the TSN lineup every week (for a pittance: 3million a year to run another team out east?). We should expect TSN to expand their CFL package: the pregame, the analysis, the special documentaries. We're going to see a lot more CFL related programming over the next decade.

Furthermore, if I were the boffins at TSN, I'd start approaching Canadian college football for an exclusive coast-to-coast broadcasting arrangement. TSN could bring a professional crew & standards to cover the CIS, and I bet they could lock this up long term (20+years) for practically nothing.

Potentially, this is all very exciting for football fans. I can't wait to see TSN pivot away from the NHL, as we really don't need three networks devoting the Lion's share of their resources to the NHL. Good times lay ahead. TV numbers next year are going to be interesting.....

Cheers,

James
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TSN will be OK I think between the regional hockey coverages they have. CBC on the other hand. Not so much. However, it scares me as well that Rogers can throw this kind of money around. And there is nothing to say that if they want to, they can't do it with the CFL as well. If Rogers is still following along the road of bringing an NFL franchise or franchises to Canada, what better way than to take over the broadcast rights of the CFL and then basically ignore it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:TSN will be OK I think between the regional hockey coverages they have. CBC on the other hand. Not so much. However, it scares me as well that Rogers can throw this kind of money around. And there is nothing to say that if they want to, they can't do it with the CFL as well. If Rogers is still following along the road of bringing an NFL franchise or franchises to Canada, what better way than to take over the broadcast rights of the CFL and then basically ignore it.
Ahh the Heisly approach used for the Grizzlies...worked once and could be used again. However, you have to think that without the CFL, TSN wouldn't be able to generate enough audience to continue to grow, so the CFL is an asset that they now can't afford to lose, and the CFL should be able to demand some primetime showcasing hours back, plus a larger contract next time around. I bet that TSN is happy that they are locked in with the CFL at this point, even if they don't hold the hammer that they once did.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Very difficult to figure out what the impact will be vis a vis the CFL. Fact is the CFL and NHL only overlap for less than 1/4 of the NHL regular season and playoffs. Adding an extra CFL team to get one more game isn't going to be of that much mutual benefit to the CFL or CFL on TSN. Entities such as the AHL, NBA, MLB, perhaps CHL will be much more on their radar than expanded CFL efforts because it's the December to June programming window that will suddenly be in need of filling.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It's inevitable some of TSN's hockey talent will bolt to Rogers. Just hoping like hell Chris Cuthbert isn't one of them.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

If TSN gets completely shut out of airing NHL games I think we'll see them air more CHL games and use it as a platform to promote their already-lucrative WJHC coverage (and vice-versa), which of course remains unaffected by this Rogers deal. More coverage of the spring world tournament as well.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

More curling. This is good.
More CFL. This is also good.

The question becomes, what properties can/does TSN now wrestle away from Rogers in response. CIS? Minor hockey? Soccer?

Soccer should be easy to wrestle away from CBC.

Shaw has Canada West and WHL rights. Those are certainly takeable.

Sportsnet airs OUA games. Those are takeable as well.

The real problem is that MLSE/Rogers owns the Jays and Raptors. That's going to make it difficult for TSN/CTV to get any traction with MLB or NBA rights.

But it does leave room for TSN to make a play for more of the NFL than they already have. I don't know when those deals come up, but it certainly seems to be something to watch out for.

Over the long haul, I think this will force TSN to be more innovative with their programming. I wouldn't rule out more US college sports programming in addition to what's been mentioned above.

From what I've read on the deal, HNIC will continue to air on CBC, but Rogers recognizes any revenue beyond the flat fee CBC is paying for rights to air certain games. While I'm sure there will be some revenue split, it absolutely will not be in the CBC's favor (though their overhead decreases dramatically as Rogers is paying for it) and that's a real problem, since, to date, a full 25-30% of CBC's revenue comes from HNIC advertising. That's going to be a real drain on the mother network's coffers.

Good call on the AHL, Hambone. Didn't think of that one.

Should be interesting times.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

From what I've been able to gather the absolute best news out of this is there will be many more viewing options at 4:00pm Saturday night. No longer will we be subject to the Mothercorp and HNIC cramming the Leafs and their #1 pom-pom waving fan Don Cherry down our throats with no alternative. Just grab the remote and push a few buttons and we can watch the Habs or Sens or whichever other Canadian team might be facing off at the same time.........unless the Leafs are losing 6-0 to Columbus like last night. That's must see TV for me! :yahoo:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnHenry
Champion

With the CFL being TSN's undisputed #1 property, they could ramp up their coverage for 2014. Longer pre-game shows, post-game shows, a weekly CFL overview, CFL talk show, CFL Fantasy & Spreads, televise the combine workouts and draft, etc.

TSN could also televise European hockey leagues, like Svedish, Finnish, Kontinetal League, etc., who play about the same brand of hockey as the NHL these days, but on a more wide-open larger ice surface.

The NHL will see their ratings tank on Sportsnet. The Vanier Cup ratings this year dropped 67% on Sportsnet compared to TSN last year (301,000 vs 910,000). The Canucks ratings dropped 65% on Sportsnet last Friday compared to Saturday's Canucks game.
Last edited by JohnHenry on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:With the CFL being TSN's undisputed #1 property, they could ramp up their coverage for 2014. Longer pre-game shows, post-game shows, a weekly CFL overview, CFL talk show, CFL Fantasy & Spreads, televise the combine workouts and draft, etc.

TSN could also televise European hockey leagues, like Svedish, Finnish, Kontinetal League, etc., who play about the same brand of hockey as the NHL these days, but on a more wide-open larger ice surface.

The NHL will see their ratings tank on Sportsnet. The Vanier Cup ratings this year dropped 67% on Sportsnet compared to TSN last year (301,000 vs 910,000). The Canucks ratings dropped 65% on Sportsnet last Friday compared to Wednesday's Canucks game on TSN.
Not sure how much Euro hockey TSN would air; given the time difference they would prob be forced to go to tape delay for prime time broadcast. NHL ratings might drop in the short run but given the 12-year term I think eventually they would gravitate to current TSN levels as Rogers becomes more established as the main carrier. I recall there was some skepticism toward TSN when they became the CFL's exclusive carrier after the 2007 season but those concerns seem to have diminished over the last six years.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Spud387
Champion

cromartie wrote:...
From what I've read on the deal, HNIC will continue to air on CBC, but Rogers recognizes any revenue beyond the flat fee CBC is paying for rights to air certain games. While I'm sure there will be some revenue split, it absolutely will not be in the CBC's favor (though their overhead decreases dramatically as Rogers is paying for it) and that's a real problem, since, to date, a full 25-30% of CBC's revenue comes from HNIC advertising. That's going to be a real drain on the mother network's coffers...
You gotta double check those numbers, HNIC makes up 50% of CBC revenues as per their president in an announcement last month (linked on reddit, can't go searching for it right now). Also, HNIC is not paying anythign to sir the games, but they also get ZERO revenues from the games.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This is basically a 4 year stay of execution for CBC Sports. Not to mention how many other parts of programming that HNIC used to subsidize. In addition to Zero revenues, they no longer have any control of HNIC personalities or the show itself. All they are providing is a network to show games on and Rogers doesn't really need that do they. Just like the HNIC theme music, this is another Canadian CBC Tradition that is now on it's death march. A standard to be bought and sold to the highest bidders. In this case Rogers. I understand the workings of a free market economy but some things should be above that. Like em or hate em, CBC was doing hockey before Rogers Corp was even a concept. Entire generations have lived and died with CBC providing hockey coverage across the nation. Rogers writes Bettman and Co. in New York a massive cheque and phhht, 60 plus years of tradition gone out the window. HNIC was one of the few money making propositions for the CBC and it's departure will have trickle down effects across the entire network. This is not a good day for the CBC. I know that many decry the cost of the CBC but there are many different programs that would never see the light of day on a purely commercial network; quality programming that's main liability is that it isn't ever going to be profitable but has merit nevertheless.

IMO, this business transaction has many far reaching consequences that go beyond just hockey.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If this new deal means the end of Don Cherry and Bob Cole, then I'm totally in favour of it.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:This is basically a 4 year stay of execution for CBC Sports. Not to mention how many other parts of programming that HNIC used to subsidize. In addition to Zero revenues, they no longer have any control of HNIC personalities or the show itself. All they are providing is a network to show games on and Rogers doesn't really need that do they. Just like the HNIC theme music, this is another Canadian CBC Tradition that is now on it's death march. A standard to be bought and sold to the highest bidders. In this case Rogers. I understand the workings of a free market economy but some things should be above that. Like em or hate em, CBC was doing hockey before Rogers Corp was even a concept. Entire generations have lived and died with CBC providing hockey coverage across the nation. Rogers writes Bettman and Co. in New York a massive cheque and phhht, 60 plus years of tradition gone out the window. HNIC was one of the few money making propositions for the CBC and it's departure will have trickle down effects across the entire network. This is not a good day for the CBC. I know that many decry the cost of the CBC but there are many different programs that would never see the light of day on a purely commercial network; quality programming that's main liability is that it isn't ever going to be profitable but has merit nevertheless.

IMO, this business transaction has many far reaching consequences that go beyond just hockey.
And isn't this the same outfit that wants NFL in Canada?

I do like the CBC still in the hockey providing but they have transitioned out of football successfully.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
snackdaddy
prospect

Hopefully this means Rogers is to broke to find 2 billion in the couch cushions to bring the bills to town.

I would be surprised if the NFL does not want a team in LA first.

Also if my quick and dirty math is right a CFL game TSN pays 512 000 (Approx) and for and NHL game 335 000 from Rogers... (this includes minim play off dates for the nhl and 8 team CFL)