Rogers NHL contract & the CFL on TSN....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

As a guy who can't stand hockey but loves college football, this is a fantastic development.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TSN's expansion to five national feeds is just two weeks away.

TSN's expansion to five national feeds debuts Aug. 25
TSN's expansion to five national feeds debuts Aug. 25
TSN.ca Staff
8/11/2014 2:06:19 PM

TSN announced today that its highly-anticipated expanded package of five national feeds will debut across Canada on Monday, Aug. 25 - delivering more sports, more choice, and #MoreTSN to Canadian sports fans than ever before.

Optimized to give Canadians the most extensive selection of sports programming on television, TSN's suite of five national channels - branded TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 - will deliver a slate of expanded programming, including the ability to schedule key programming to serve multiple time zones.

TSN's five national feeds will be available to subscribers on the first day of the U.S. Open, broadcasting an unprecedented amount of live coverage of the final tennis Grand Slam of the season, including more of Milos Raonic and Genie Bouchard following their historic run at Wimbledon last month.

Distribution for TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5

TSN also confirmed today that the expanded five-feed service will debut in millions of Canadian homes, with a slate of leading television service providers already signed on to carry the service.

"We are absolutely thrilled with the reaction to our expansion plans across the industry – it's clear that our viewers, partners, and clients all want more choice and more access to the biggest events in sports," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "We are delighted that so many television service providers have signed on for the launch, and we are looking forward to announcing further distribution partners in the coming weeks."

The following distributors are the first to offer TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5 to their customers when it launches on Aug. 25:

- Bell Fibe TV
- Bell Satellite
- Cogeco Cable Inc.
- Eastlink
- FibreOP TV (Bell Aliant)
- MTS
- Rogers
- SaskTel
- Shaw
- Shaw Direct
- Source Cable
- TELUS Optik TV

More Sports, More Choice and #MoreTSN

Already home to Canada's most diverse lineup of sports programming and the biggest championships – among them the World Juniors, Grey Cup, FIFA World Cup 2015 - 2022, Grand Slam tennis, all of golf's majors and much more – Canada's Sports Leader is now able to fully leverage its deep lineup of world-class content with its expansion to five feeds: TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5.

Key programming highlights that viewers can expect to see across TSN's suite of five channels include:

- More live game coverage
- More choice of games and events taking place at the same time
- Expanded coverage of marquee live events
- Effective scheduling of TSN news and studio shows, including SPORTSCENTRE
- NHL hockey
- ESPN programming
- New acquisitions and partnerships

All five channels will be made available on TSN GO and TSN.ca.

TSN is Canada's Sports Leader and No. 1 specialty network. With a broad portfolio of multimedia sports assets, TSN currently delivers world-class content across industry-leading platforms including TSN2, TSN.ca, TSN GO, and TSN Radio. Official broadcaster of the Grey Cup, IIHF World Junior Championship and FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, TSN's slate of live sports coverage includes NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLS, Season of Champions Curling, UEFA Euro 2016, MLB, Barclays Premier League, Golf's Majors, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Canadian Tire Series, F1, Grand Slam Tennis, NCAA March Madness, and Skate Canada events. TSN is a division of Bell Media, which is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:TSN's expansion to five national feeds is just two weeks away.
Thanks for finding this. I was wondering what was happening.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

If your cable subscriber is Shaw, more info on TSN's five-feed launch. Sounds like all five channels won't be available on their "basic" cable package as is now the case for TSN and TSN2 but rather as an add-on theme pack.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-3458
TV - All Customers - TSN Channel Launches
created by [shaw]fraser on Aug 12, 2014 10:47 AM, last modified by [shaw]fraser on Aug 22, 2014 1:22 PM

TSN is on Free Preview Starting August 25th
TSN is expanding its lineup which means more coverage of the biggest events in sports and more games than ever before. Watch TSN 1,3,4 and 5 on free preview starting August 25th.

TSN Channel Lineup Changes
On August 25th we will begin the regional launches of the new TSN channels in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg with Victoria and Kelowna launching on August 26th. Additional regions will come online in the near future. The new TSN stations will include three standard definition stations (TSN3, TSN4, TSN5) and three HD stations (TSN3 HD, TSN4 HD, TSN5 HD) and may have changed number when you search for them on your guide.

For Shaw Cable Customers:
You will continue to receive your local TSN SD and HD channels in your base programming package. Out-of-network HD and SD TSN channels will be available in sports add-on packages such as HD Plus, SPP Sports 1, Best of HD and Premier TV. To find out more about sports add-on packages click here.

Channel........Old SD* Number........New SD Number...Old HD* Number...New HD Number
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
TSN 1.....21(varies by region)**.............181......................225..................236
TSN 2............147...............................182.......................226.................237
TSN 3.............—.................................183.........................—..................238
TSN 4.............—.................................184.........................—..................239
TSN 5.............—.................................185.........................—..................240

*Standard Definition +High Definition **Your local in market TSN channel will remain in its current location with the new SD channels launching on channels 181-185

Frequently Asked Questions:

What will this new lineup will provide?
More live game coverage of NBA, MLS, NCAA and more
More choice of game and events taking place at the same time
Expanded coverage of marquee live events
Effective scheduling of TSN news and studio shows
ESPN programming including college sports, news and studio shows

Will I need new equipment to receive the TSN High Definition (HD) channels?
Shaw Cable customers will require HD capable receivers to get TSN HD channels, some TSN channels will be in MPEG4 HD and will require MPEG4 equipment. Standard definition (SD) channels will be available on all receivers.

What happens to TSN Jets?
Customers will no longer require a separate TSN Jets channel and subscription as all Winnipeg Jets games will be offered on TSN3, the regional channel for Manitoba.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I can't always see games online due to time zone differences here in Hong Kong but now I can no longer see games later.

Has there been a change where TSN no longer puts the full game on their site for viewing?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I can't always see games online due to time zone differences here in Hong Kong but now I can no longer see games later.

Has there been a change where TSN no longer puts the full game on their site for viewing?
As I understand it TSN now only allows certain TV subscribers to view TSN product, as our local Shaw isn't affiliated with them, there isn't a way for us to view the TSN on demand games either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I can't always see games online due to time zone differences here in Hong Kong but now I can no longer see games later.

As I understand it TSN now only allows certain TV subscribers to view TSN product, as our local Shaw isn't affiliated with them, there isn't a way for us to view the TSN on demand games either.
We have Telus.

TSN is starting to really show its negative stripes here. Watch a hi-lite package and they run the same GM Cruze commercial twice before every video. This turns people off and I know I watch far viewer now than before. One ad is fine but the same twice is idiotic.

Now they don't do replays. Rubbish.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Rammer wrote:

We have Telus.

TSN is starting to really show its negative stripes here. Watch a hi-lite package and they run the same GM Cruze commercial twice before every video. This turns people off and I know I watch far viewer now than before. One ad is fine but the same twice is idiotic.

For game highlight videos, I usually just watch the ones posted on the league's own site. Just click on "highlights" from the game you want on their schedule page. Doesn't replace a full viewing of the games but it's all that seems to be out there now if you can't access the live TSN broadcast. I'm done with trying to watch any videos on tsn.ca since they changed this.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:

I wrote to TSN to complain about the cutbacks in their online streaming and highlights packages this year. I didn't get a reply.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Rammer wrote:

We have Telus.

TSN introduced TSN GO streaming service this year......sadly, and in typical "center of the universe" mentality, they only made it available to Rogers and Bell customers who subscribed to TSN. I've seen an article that they will be adding other providers but with no time frame.

Subsequently, they are launching their 5 feed service (Aug 25th) and some believe, at the same time or shortly there after, they will expand TSN GO to all providers offering the 5 feeds to their customers.

The bad news for fans living abroad.....the service will only be offered in Canada.

So, Toppy, it looks like a SlingBox is still your only option to watch games.

Here's a link to the channel additions and a list of the providers:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459197
Lloyd
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Thanks guys, I was using someone's sling box last year but it was spotty. I think you are right though.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Channel........Old SD* Number........New SD Number...Old HD* Number...New HD Number
TSN 1.....21(varies by region)**.............181......................225..................236
TSN 2............147...............................182.......................226.................237
TSN 3.............—.................................183.........................—..................238
TSN 4.............—.................................184.........................—..................239
TSN 5.............—.................................185.........................—..................240

*Standard Definition +High Definition **Your local in market TSN channel will remain in its current location with the new SD channels launching on channels 181-185
The five channels are now on air.

Right now TSN2 is cycling through yesterday's episode of The Reporters every half hour while the other 4 feeds are showing four different matches live from the opening day of US Open tennis (three women's singles and one men's singles, on TSN5).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I was wondering how TSN's expansion would impact their CFL broadcasts so I had a look at their listings for Week 10 & 11 games. The short answer: It seems at least initially there's going to be a great deal of main event simulcast across most of the feeds, with slight tinkering within each one (especially TSN2) to supplement principal coverage. In more detail:

The Ott @ Mtl FNF game will be simulcast on four of the five feeds (TSN2 is the odd man out with live US Open tennis coverage). The half-hour pregame however will be limited to TSN5 only, while the other feeds will air the following:

1: Around the Horn
2: tennis as per above
3: That's Hockey
4: That's Hockey

The Sunday Wpg @ Ssk game will also air on four of the five feeds (TSN2 is again the exception with tennis and Sportscentre). The half-hour pregame will air on TSN1, TSN3 and TSN4 while TSN5 airs NASCAR racing.

On Labour Day Monday, each of Tor @ Ham and Edm @ Cgy will air as per the Fri & Sun games: on 4 of 5 feeds with TSN2 airing tennis and Sportscentre. Each game will have its own half-hour pregame that will also air on the same four feeds with tennis coverage once again from TSN2 in the meantime.

The FNF broadcast setup for Sep 5 (BC @ Ott) follows the same pattern as the two LD games: 4 of 5 feeds except TSN2 (NASCAR/Sportscentre) and same for the pregame show. I didn't realise until looking at the schedule just now that the Cgy @ Edm LD rematch, which normally goes on Fri, will this year be on Sat evening instead, but I was unable to ascertain its coverage as TSN's listings run only through Sep 5 as I type.

One supposes diversity across the five feeds will probably increase with time as such programming can be arranged, but for now it seems there will be some redundancy.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

The five channels are now on air.

Right now TSN2 is cycling through yesterday's episode of The Reporters every half hour while the other 4 feeds are showing four different matches live from the opening day of US Open tennis (three women's singles and one men's singles, on TSN5).
The channel 147 is no more for me in Shawville. Still get TSN2 though in the 180's (182 probably as your chart notes)

Can not figure out why an HOURS long cycle of yesterdays episode of The Reporters is worth it? Why not just have ALL the channel on tennis.....?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:The channel 147 is no more for me in Shawville. Still get TSN2 though in the 180's (182 probably as your chart notes)

Can not figure out why an HOURS long cycle of yesterdays episode of The Reporters is worth it? Why not just have ALL the channel on tennis.....?
I'm not sure of this but it might be the case that there's only four matches running concurrently at any given time so one feed would have to be a pointless simulcast. Might as well run whatever canned programs you have that haven't already been run into the ground and do just that. There's probably some issues with ad revenue at stake with this, too.

I'm looking forward to see if they do this type of mutliple-match broadcast with their curling coverage where you usually have four separate matches each draw, although it would mean needing four separate commentator crews. I'm not sure they have the resources for this (yet), but I'd love to see it.

You're right, 147 is toast — pretty fast transition! I think TSN(1) on 23 could be next and then the whole brand could get shunted from basic cable, which probably wouldn't make the CFL very happy.