Off the Gridiron on Global

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Great 30 minute Lions television show Sundays at 12:30 PM. Lots of appearances by the Lions. Anton broke down a few of the key plays. Watched Arakyi getted pranked as revenge for pranking Gore. Neat show. This week they had a little about the Operation Orange to Regina. A little this week about our trip. There will be a little more coverage next week in regards to our trip to Bomberville.

Set up is a little strange, IMO. Sundays at 12:30 may make sense I guess, I'm not a television broadcaster. Its going to get DVR'd or recorded etc... But why show it up against CFL and NFL football? I LOVE THE IDEA. Think it will and can do a good job of marketing the team. I had heard of it but just kept forgetting to watch it. Made sure to take in this week in case they had some coverage of Winnipeg. I think they will often be reporting on TWO BC Lions games. They had some coverage of the Regina game including coaches footage, IIRC. They had lots of actual football coverage from the Bomber game. Next Sunday they'll have some more coverage from our Orangies and the flight home. And OF COURSE they'll be covering the highlights of the Rider/LIons matchup FRIDAY..........
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Great 30 minute Lions television show Sundays at 12:30 PM. Lots of appearances by the Lions. Anton broke down a few of the key plays. Watched Arakyi getted pranked as revenge for pranking Gore. Neat show. This week they had a little about the Operation Orange to Regina. A little this week about our trip. There will be a little more coverage next week in regards to our trip to Bomberville.

Set up is a little strange, IMO. Sundays at 12:30 may make sense I guess, I'm not a television broadcaster. Its going to get DVR'd or recorded etc... But why show it up against CFL and NFL football? I LOVE THE IDEA. Think it will and can do a good job of marketing the team. I had heard of it but just kept forgetting to watch it. Made sure to take in this week in case they had some coverage of Winnipeg. I think they will often be reporting on TWO BC Lions games. They had some coverage of the Regina game including coaches footage, IIRC. They had lots of actual football coverage from the Bomber game. Next Sunday they'll have some more coverage from our Orangies and the flight home. And OF COURSE they'll be covering the highlights of the Rider/LIons matchup FRIDAY..........
Great heads-up, the Sep 15 premier episode can be streamed here from Global's site:

Lots of interviews: Keron Wiliams, Shawn Gore, Buck Pierce, Jamie Taras, Dennis Skulsky.

And here's last week's ep (which I haven't yet viewed):

No sign of today's ep; may not yet be uploaded, but at any rate BC1 (ch21 in my Shaw Package, others may vary) rebroadcasts each episode on Mondays at 12:30am (i.e. latenight Sunday night).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: Great heads-up, the Sep 15 premier episode can be streamed here from Global's site:

Lots of interviews: Keron Wiliams, Shawn Gore, Buck Pierce, Jamie Taras, Dennis Skulsky.

No sign of today's ep; may not yet be uploaded, but at any rate BC1 (ch21 in my Shaw Package, others may vary) rebroadcasts each episode on Mondays at 12:30am (i.e. latenight Sunday night).
Thanks for letting us know about the premier episode. I thought it had been on all summer. I had heard them advertise it but I kept forgetting.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Great heads-up, the Sep 15 premier episode can be streamed here from Global's site:

Thanks for letting us know about the premier episode. I thought it had been on all summer. I had heard them advertise it but I kept forgetting.......
Sep 15 was the premier based on this info:

http://www.channelcanada.com/discuss/sh ... l-News-BC1

At the end of the Sep 22 episode they mentioned that in future shows, fans will be able to submit questions online for players.

Sometimes there's a lament on here that the Lions don't get their fair share of coverage from the sports media. Well, this show means it's time to put our money where our mouth is. If they don't get flooded with input they'll probably just figure no one cares and replace it with a Canucks show.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kudos to Global for hosting that show. There hasn't been a Lion show since Lions Den hosted by Ted Reynolds.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I didn't realize this was a TV show. I thought Anton just did an occasional segment on the newscast. Lousy time slot. I'll try to PVR it next week.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I didn't realize this was a TV show. I thought Anton just did an occasional segment on the newscast. Lousy time slot. I'll try to PVR it next week.
If you are at home you can PVR it tonight just after midnight. As sj-roc noted it replays tonight @ 12:30 AM on BC21
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I didn't realize this was a TV show. I thought Anton just did an occasional segment on the newscast. Lousy time slot. I'll try to PVR it next week.
If you are at home you can PVR it tonight just after midnight. As sj-roc noted it replays tonight @ 12:30 AM on BC21
It's also been uploaded with the other two:

Heathcliff
Rookie

Thanks for linking, sj-roc
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It used to be a single newscast segment but now they've expanded it to a full show in its own right. I noticed a couple of these segments have also been uploaded with the full eps; they should be easy enough to find from the links I already gave above, won't bother here (click on sports from the menu at the left and browse from there).
David
Team Captain

Global is to be commended for putting this half-hour show together for us Lions fans. It works well. Informative and shows the fun side (pranks, interviews, behind-the-scenes etc), but Anton McKenzie was also in-studio breaking down some film from the Winnipeg game.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Kudos to all involved (and thanks for posting and providing links).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

In case you missed it, host Shanel Pratap tweeted last week telling viewers how to send in questions for players to answer:

Wanna ask a @BCLions a question, but ur too shy? Email us offthegridiron@globalnews.ca and we'll get the answer on future episode @GlobalBC
I'm guessing they're probably looking for off-beat questions to use on air, stuff with broad appeal, like, who's the best chef, singer, etc on the team.

Whether or not the questions that pour in make for good TV, they're probably using response volume to gauge viewer interest in the programme so I'd say send in pretty much any question at all.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I had a person ask me a question I had a ballpark answer for (about 10 pounds) that I think I'll forward.

How much weight do you lose while playing an average CFL football game? Obviously different for different players but I think my guess will probably be in the ball park........ Guess I can ask and hear what a Lion or two may have to say....?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I had a person ask me a question I had a ballpark answer for (about 10 pounds) that I think I'll forward.

How much weight do you lose while playing an average CFL football game? Obviously different for different players but I think my guess will probably be in the ball park........ Guess I can ask and hear what a Lion or two may have to say....?
Great question — send it in. Like I said, even if they don't use it or if someone else already has, sending it in tells them you're watching and helps influence their programming decisions. If they get too little feedback they might decide not to bother with the show for next season. I'm guessing it will continue airing only until the Grey Cup or whenever we play our last game for 2013 and then won't return until at least 2014 training camp.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:I had a person ask me a question I had a ballpark answer for (about 10 pounds) that I think I'll forward.

Great question — send it in. Like I said, even if they don't use it or if someone else already has, sending it in tells them you're watching and helps influence their programming decisions. If they get too little feedback they might decide not to bother with the show for next season. I'm guessing it will continue airing only until the Grey Cup or whenever we play our last game for 2013 and then won't return until at least 2014 training camp.
Just sent a question in Olympic themed based. :popcorn:
Entertainment value = an all time low