For the record: Jacques Chapdelaine and the 1983 Grey Cup

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should Jacques Chapdelaine be blamed for the BC Lions' 1983 Grey Cup loss?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 12
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

To blame any one player for a loss isn't really fair. You could blame the whole offense for failing to score in the second half but to this day, that was a catchable ball. Chap wasn't that great of a receiver and as I recall, was never considered a clutch, go to guy. He didn't cost us that game, but he didn't win it for us either. If he wasn't a coach on this team, not many of us would remember him for his playing exploits (excepting the above play).
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
D
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:To blame any one player for a loss isn't really fair. You could blame the whole offense for failing to score in the second half
:whs:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:To blame any one player for a loss isn't really fair. You could blame the whole offense for failing to score in the second half but to this day, that was a catchable ball. Chap wasn't that great of a receiver and as I recall, was never considered a clutch, go to guy. He didn't cost us that game, but he didn't win it for us either. If he wasn't a coach on this team, not many of us would remember him for his playing exploits (excepting the above play).
100% agree and will add that JC makes that catch and my memory of him would be greatly altered to this day. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Excellent post, Robbie. I hadn't realized that Chapdelaine had been blamed for the loss.
I hadn't realized he hadn't. I've been blaming him for almost 30 years (and tears) and I ain't about to stop now.
South Pender
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:To blame any one player for a loss isn't really fair.
Absolutely. Some wanted to blame Wes Welker for the 2012 Super Bowl loss by the Patriots to the Giants (perhaps most vociferously, Gisele Bundchen, Tom Brady's wife) for his one drop in the second half. These blamers were obviously unaware of, or willfully ignoring, Welker's 122 receptions that season to get the Pats to the big dance in the first place. I'm obviously not saying that Chapdelaine bears much resemblance, performance-wise, to Wes Welker, only that winning and losing is a team phenomenon.
Ravi
Legend

Well, Jacques was as expressive with his hands back in '83 as he is today. :wink:
Kamloops Lion
All Star

*poop*. He should have had it and cost us the 1983 Cup.
And, tonight, he helped cost us a win in Montreal.
And, he is costing us the season.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Why can't some people see what obviously was a dropped pass? It's called scotoma...the human eye sees what it wants to see...that ball hit Chapdelaine's body and hands before the defender touched him...there's no position for an arguement here...he dropped the ball...some people are cool under pressure and some aren't..Chapdelaine has never been good under pressure, unless it was pressure of losing his job.

Again, as many have said, that game should never have come down to trusting a CDN rookie to haul in the pass...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
South Pender wrote:Excellent post, Robbie. I hadn't realized that Chapdelaine had been blamed for the loss.
I hadn't realized he hadn't. I've been blaming him for almost 30 years (and tears) and I ain't about to stop now.
Those of us that watched it as it happened know how we felt then...and now.

No doubt that he lost it whatsoever. DeWalt laid it in his hands.