Game Day Thread- Stamps vs. Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Battle between Jon Cornish and Andrew Harris. Cold weather and snow. purrfect for football.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Game 17 on the schedule won't affect the standings but there's pride on the line for both teams. The Lions have a chance to tie the franchise record for most wins in a season, 14, by winning their final two games. The Stamps have a chance to tie the Lions in the standings by winning their final two games if the Lions lose theirs, although the Lions have already won the season series.

The Lions lead the league in both most yards offence and fewest yards allowed, something they have never done before.

Individually, much is on the line. Many eyes will be on Andrew Harris and Jon Cornish, two of the best running backs in the league. Cornish leads the league with 1,302 yards rushing on the season and needs 135 more in his final two games to match the non-import record set by Normie Kwong in 1956, although Kwong set his record in just 15 games. Harris passed the 1,000-yard mark last week and sits at 1,025, third in the league this year and the 11th highest total ever by a non-import. He needs just 51 yards to reach No. 6 on that list, and 225 yards to reach No. 3. Two weeks ago, Harris set the record as all-time single-season leader among Canadian players with 1,665 yds from scrimmage. His total sits at 1,727 yards with two games remaining but he is just 101 yards ahead of Cornish.

Geroy Simon makes his return to the lineup after missing three games with a hamstring injury, his second such injury this year. Simon's league-leading streak of 172 games with a reception is on the line. Calgary's Nik Lewis has the second longest active streak at 156 games. Simon trails Harris by 45 yards for the club lead in receiving yards. Harris has a chance to become the first Canadian player to lead his club in rushing and receiving in the same season.

Other than Simon, the Lions aren't planning any changes on offence to the lineup that beat Edmonton last week in Mike Reilly's first start at QB.

Defensively, Khalif Mitchell returns to the lineup and Maurice Evans is expected to start at defensive end to give a break to Khreem Smith.

The weather is expected to be cold and snow is possible. Turnovers are likely, especially since the Stamps are playing. Only four games in the CFL this year have been won by the team losing the turnover battle. The Stamps have done it four of the 10 times, including last week when they hung on to beat Hamilton despite giving up 7 turnovers, the most by any winning club in more than three years.

BC has committed only 19 turnovers in 16 games. The CFL record for fewest in a season is 28, set by Ottawa in 1967 and equalled by B.C. in 2006.
ziggy
Legend

This could be one of those try to win, but more importantly try not to get hurt games. I see both coaches as wanting to just get through it without injuries more than anything else. If one wanted to rest players this would be the game IMO. You still have one game remaining after this in which to make sure the starters are sharp before the bye.
daryl_dix
prospect

Based on the forecast through the WeatherOffice we could have some snow for this game...I love it!

Today
Flurries. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light early this afternoon. High minus 4.

Tonight
Flurries. Amount 2 cm. Low minus 8.
swervynmerv
Legend

Does anyone know of an internet link to watch tonights game online at all? A couple of weeks ago, someone posted AdtheNet.tv but they don't show that they have the Leos game today. If anyone has any other suggestions for watching tonight's game online I would appreaciate it. I don't know why TSN doesn't do it. I'd be willing to pay in order to get the live stream of the game as I often travelling an sometimes a TV isn't available.
David
Team Captain

So the Leos will be wearing all-white uniforms tonight (away jerseys and home pants).

Ummmm.....why?

First, it's a summery look and second, I am concerned that Reilly will have trouble picking out his receivers in a snowy McMahon Stadium. :thdn:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:So the Leos will be wearing all-white uniforms tonight (away jerseys and home pants).

Ummmm.....why?

First, it's a summery look and second, I am concerned that Reilly will have trouble picking out his receivers in a snowy McMahon Stadium. :thdn:

DH :cool:
That could cut both ways, though. If it truly is harder for us to find receivers then it'll also be harder for Tate and/or Glenn to read our pass D, and it'll camouflage our pass rush.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great info BCFAN, thanks...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The short opening kickoff gave the Stamps a quick three points.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

at the end of the game, I want to hear

Mikey likes it :thup:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions look totally out of syn. 3 offensive plays and 2 penalties.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:at the end of the game, I want to hear

Mikey likes it :thup:
I don't like these early offensive miscues.

Time count, offside and now a fumble for 6 the wrong way :thdn:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

A nothing game...not a chance!

The goal of this game is to play hard, so as there is no chance our depth can be compromised by mediocre effort, for that is the eventuality we will concede to foolish injury!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Comedy of errors to start the game. 10-0 Stamps.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The short opening kickoff gave the Stamps a quick three points.
Inconsistent kicking by McCallum all season