Ultimate Lions fan VIP road trip to Mosiac

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Looks like the final Operation Orange trip for Saturday's game hasn't sold out; the page for it on their website is still active with no statement to the contrary:

http://www.bclions.com/page/operation-orange

I guess between some recent subpar performances and having three of these trips, they reached the saturation limit on this concept, at least for this year.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Looks like the final Operation Orange trip for Saturday's game hasn't sold out; the page for it on their website is still active with no statement to the contrary:

I guess between some recent subpar performances and having three of these trips, they reached the saturation limit on this concept, at least for this year.
They probably knew this would be a tough sell having already offered the earlier package to Mosiac (last year as well). That said, they have to charter to Regina anyways as Westjet doesn't offer direct flights out of YVR so might as well try to sell the unused seats again.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Looks like the final Operation Orange trip for Saturday's game hasn't sold out; the page for it on their website is still active with no statement to the contrary:

They probably knew this would be a tough sell having already offered the earlier package to Mosiac (last year as well). That said, they have to charter to Regina anyways as Westjet doesn't offer direct flights out of YVR so might as well try to sell the unused seats again.
True, they might have gotten more takers if this last one were to say, Edm or Cgy. Maybe these destinations will be available next season (assuming they would charter)?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It was brought up during the Winnipeg trip about taking Operation Orange back east next season to Montreal, Toronto or even Ottawa. I personally would want to spend more than 48 hours in either city to justify the cost and given all there is to see. But Skulsky or Wally said Air North (which the Lions use for charter flights) doesn't fly back east and the chartered flight would have to originate out of Bellingham which seemed kind of odd.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:It was brought up during the Winnipeg trip about taking Operation Orange back east next season to Montreal, Toronto or even Ottawa. I personally would want to spend more than 48 hours in either city to justify the cost and given all there is to see. But Skulsky or Wally said Air North (which the Lions use for charter flights) doesn't fly back east and the chartered flight would have to originate out of Bellingham which seemed kind of odd.

ME TOO! I loved the Operation Orange and could certainly make do with a less than 48 hour trip to any Western team. But if I'm going to Montreal or Ottawa, I'm spending more than just one night and hoping back on a plane.

Two Operation Orange games in Regina, with a Grey Cup in Regina a month later? Not surprised the second one is a little slower.

So, I AM GOING TO GO to Ottawa and Hamilton to see their new homes. Hamilton, I might be willing to spend a short time in (heard a rumour the new 'Ivor Wynne' MIGHT not be ready for early next season but I heard that rumour from a Lion) but Ottawa or Montreal? No way a quick stop will cut it. Never been to either city, need at least two, probably three nights to not feel silly making the trip.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am tenatively planning a cross country CFL summer tour in my truck camper next season with stops at the new stadiums along the way. I will be looking to hang out with Operation Orange attendees if our paths cross and i might try to contact the Lions to see if they will sell me a game ticket and maybe a hotel room and game day meal. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I am tenatively planning a cross country CFL summer tour in my truck camper next season with stops at the new stadiums along the way. I will be looking to hang out with Operation Orange attendees if our paths cross and i might try to contact the Lions to see if they will sell me a game ticket and maybe a hotel room and game day meal. :wink:
Have a blast, DanoT! Maybe we can talk Wally into changing it from Operation Orange to the GunMetalGrey Getaway..... :cool:
The_Pauser
Legend

If I didnt go to Europe in September too I would definitely be going to Regina on Friday. You can't saturate this market, either you want to enjoy an amazing time or you don't. I spent any money I had for Canuck tickets to afford the Winnipeg trip and don't regret it one bit! Next year I will go on all of the road trips.

DanoT, if you're in the same town as one of the operation orange road trips next year let me know and we'll grab a beer. I still owe you for one of those cowbells. :)
Roar you Lions roar!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Looks like the Lions are rolling out a playoff edition of Operation Orange for the WSF acc to an email I got from them today (excerpt below). Presumably there are about 40 spots available as per the other three OO games this year. Would be interesting to see the uptake on this; the cost is $1150 PAT.
TRAVEL WITH YOUR BC LIONS ON OPERATION ORANGE FAN TRIP TO THE 2013 WESTERN SEMI-FINAL!

OPERATION ORANGE has been a big hit this season as BC Lions fans accompanied the team behind enemy lines into opposing stadiums to help cheer our team on to victory.

With a loss this past weekend, your BC Lions will unfortunately not host a West Division playoff game this season at BC Place. However, our overall mission as a club still remains the same: win our seventh Grey Cup championship in franchise history. We want you to join us as we go on the road in the playoffs, in search of accomplishing our mission!

Your Mission: As a season ticket holder, we are recruiting you for OPERATION ORANGE – to go into enemy territory proudly wearing your orange in an opposing team's home stadium and help us come home with a playoff win to carry us on to the Western Final and the 101st Grey Cup!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Looks like the Lions are rolling out a playoff edition of Operation Orange for the WSF acc to an email I got from them today (excerpt below). Presumably there are about 40 spots available as per the other three OO games this year. Would be interesting to see the uptake on this; the cost is $1150 PAT.
TRAVEL WITH YOUR BC LIONS ON OPERATION ORANGE FAN TRIP TO THE 2013 WESTERN SEMI-FINAL!

OPERATION ORANGE has been a big hit this season as BC Lions fans accompanied the team behind enemy lines into opposing stadiums to help cheer our team on to victory.

With a loss this past weekend, your BC Lions will unfortunately not host a West Division playoff game this season at BC Place. However, our overall mission as a club still remains the same: win our seventh Grey Cup championship in franchise history. We want you to join us as we go on the road in the playoffs, in search of accomplishing our mission!

Your Mission: As a season ticket holder, we are recruiting you for OPERATION ORANGE – to go into enemy territory proudly wearing your orange in an opposing team's home stadium and help us come home with a playoff win to carry us on to the Western Final and the 101st Grey Cup!
Hmm, I thought to myself as I read my copy of the email you recieved, sj-roc. HAVE THE STAMPS CLINCHED first? I don't think so. But I read the email a little more closely and it DOES say could be Calgary or could be Regina. I do think the idea is a good one. I hope whomever chooses to go will do so (I'm saving my $$$ for a trip on Operation ORange next season).

On a seperate but related topic.... Did anyone from Lionbackers go to the recent trip to Regina? I know the game must not have been fun to watch. I hated it at home and I wasn't surrounded by a Sea of Green. Actually living in BC and being surrounded by a sea of green is not always a bad thing...... :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Hmm, I thought to myself as I read my copy of the email you recieved, sj-roc. HAVE THE STAMPS CLINCHED first? I don't think so. But I read the email a little more closely and it DOES say could be Calgary or could be Regina. I do think the idea is a good one. I hope whomever chooses to go will do so (I'm saving my $$$ for a trip on Operation ORange next season).

On a seperate but related topic.... Did anyone from Lionbackers go to the recent trip to Regina? I know the game must not have been fun to watch. I hated it at home and I wasn't surrounded by a Sea of Green. Actually living in BC and being surrounded by a sea of green is not always a bad thing...... :wink:
With everyone having two games left to play, Cgy (13-3) can clinch first if they beat (or tie) Ssk (11-5) at home on Saturday. Otherwise Ssk will win their season series with Cgy (currently deadlocked 1-1 with Sat the rubber game) and still has a chance to claim first, provided they both finish 13-5 to invoke the head-to-head tiebreaker.

I'm not sure the last OO even sold out as they still seemed to be hawking spaces just days before the game. Did TSN give them any screen time last week like in the other games? They would have only been on for a few seconds, pretty easy to miss on an ill-timed trip to the fridge.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Third trip to Regina in about 6 weeks is a tough sell. Especially what happened in the last visit and Lions expected to be significant underdogs for the playoff tilt (never mind possibly sitting in sub zero weather!).

If it ends up being the Stamps then the price becomes pretty steep. You can fly Westjet in the same 40 hour time frame for about $380. Add another $200 for a game ticket and hotel meaning the team experience (and jersey) is costing you $550. Knew they would chartering to Regina already. Surprised they would do the same for Calgary unless it's to provide the Operation Orange opportunity.