Argos release Boyd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

According to TSN, the Toronto argonauts have released the leagues leading rusher, Cory Boyd. Boyd has 447 yards rushing this season and holds a 5.5 yards per carry average. Boyd has finished second league wide in rushing the previous two years. Argos say that they feel they need to go in a different direction with the rushing game with their new Ricky Ray led offense.
Strange move Imo.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Rammer
Team Captain

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:According to TSN, the Toronto argonauts have released the leagues leading rusher, Cory Boyd. Boyd has 447 yards rushing this season and holds a 5.5 yards per carry average. Boyd has finished second league wide in rushing the previous two years. Argos say that they feel they need to go in a different direction with the rushing game with their new Ricky Ray led offense.
Strange move Imo.
Lions held him in check, perhaps they want a better receiver type RB and at a lower hit on the SMS. Interesting to see if anyone picks him up off the waiver wire if this is correct.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

This is the back-half of the Rickey Ray trade. Count on it. I bet he winds up in Edmonton.

James
And here I already thought that the Esks got the back=half of the trade. :) I suspect that the Argo's tried to trade Boyd without any takers at his cap hit. With that in mind, not many CFL teams are in need of an RB, but Boyd would be interesting at a reduced rate for the Esks I guess. They will also have to deal with his attitude, which according to Murphy, isn't great...
ROB MURPHY ‏@BIGMURPH56

My thoughts on Cory Boyd? He was a fraud who fooled the media for 2yrs Good player when healthy but not a good teammate Media just ate it up
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Surprised but I'm sure there is lots of stuff that goes on behind the closed doors of a football team. Also a bit surprised by Murphy's tweets. Murphy certainly seems to have an active twitter account now that he's retired. Guess he's not saving all the juicy gossip for the autobiography........
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Wasn't Boyd in his 1st CFL contract or did he get re-negoitated for 2012? A surprising move. Does that make Kackert the # 1 RB in TO?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

If one wanted to take Murph's comments with any credence perhaps a clash between change to offensive philosophy with Milanovich and Ray combined with a potential attitude issue equals a budding cancer. The one interesting aspect of this is the Argos' lack of RB depth. 35 year old NI Jeff Johnson is the only left player on the roster listed as an RB only. Durie is listed as RB/SB and Kackert as RB/KR. Owens and Chandler Williams are listed as SB/KR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't know what Boyd is like off the field but he has been a shadow of his former self on the field. A power back without power is unemployed. He can't take a hit and can't catch and run. The league is moving to shifty, athletic scatbacks who can catch the ball in flight and make people miss.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

kackert can be every bit as good as cory at rushing plus better at other things, if he can stop fumbling.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Ravi
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:Wasn't Boyd in his 1st CFL contract or did he get re-negoitated for 2012? A surprising move. Does that make Kackert the # 1 RB in TO?
Boyd re-negotiated his contract after his first season in Toronto. He is making about $95k per season on his current contract which really isn't that bad of a cap hit given his stature. Having said that, I guess that other teams are pretty happy with their starting running backs who are likely making a fair bit less (e.g., Chevon Walker in Hamilton, Chad Simpson in Winnipeg, Hugh Charles in Edmonton).
Ravi
Legend

Hambone wrote:If one wanted to take Murph's comments with any credence perhaps a clash between change to offensive philosophy with Milanovich and Ray combined with a potential attitude issue equals a budding cancer. The one interesting aspect of this is the Argos' lack of RB depth. 35 year old NI Jeff Johnson is the only left player on the roster listed as an RB only. Durie is listed as RB/SB and Kackert as RB/KR. Owens and Chandler Williams are listed as SB/KR.
Kackert is Boyd's backup and will be the starter in Calgary this Saturday. The Argos will bring in at least one more import RB, according to Scott Milanovich.