Lions 44 - Riders 10, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Riders were always tough to play against when Shivers and Barrett were there, and under Tillman, Austin and Miller. Now with Taman they are a shambles. Ah well, long suffering Rider Nation can deal with it.

It occurs to me that our personnel is not all that different from what we started with last year. But our coaching approach is radically different. Attacking on D. Attacking on O. Unpredictable. And the guys love playing that way. They are highly motivated.

As I said earlier, Roy Shivers has found great talent and depth at receiver, linebacker and DLine. Geathers, Henley, Jordan and Evans will provide some depth from the survivors. But so far it looks like status quo for Williams, Mitchell, Taylor and Smith. Westerman in the mix.

I've never seen so much depth and talent trying out for us at import receiver. Kudos to the coaches for not giving up on Nick Moore last year.

Didn't notice the new young linebackers, but I expect they will provide good depth and talent.

Congratulations to Mike Benevides. The team looks solid, talented and motivated. And Mike looked calm and composed on the sideline. Double H. Hoodie and Headset.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As to the running game I'll give Chapdelaine a mulligan. It is the pre-season
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I didn't notice any attendance announcement at the game but cfl.ca reckons it was 24,871. Good? bad? so-so? You decide. Wednesday night is not a great draw in this market.

It's almost a third higher than the announced 18,742 who took in last year's pre-season game at Empire, which both was played against Ssk and fell on a Wednesday, but in the second week of pre-season, just a week after the Canucks' playoff run ended. And it's almost identical to the 24,763 who took in the other pre-season game at Empire the year before, which was played against Edmonton on a cloudy Sunday afternoon of the second week of pre-season. The final pre-season game @BCP, in 2009 against Edmonton on a Tuesday in week 2, drew 23,217.

The good news is that whatever loss of attendance that might have occurred on account of the temporary Empire re-location seems to have been recovered. The bad news, one might argue, is that this means that the Grey Cup victory that kicked off the BCP II era, and all the attendant bells and whistles of the "new" playpen, haven't really pushed crowds much beyond what they were at the end of the BCP I era. So, a glass half full/empty situation depending on your POV.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I didn't notice any attendance announcement at the game but cfl.ca reckons it was 24,871...
Not arguing the numbers put I wonder if that was paid attendance? Those renovations sure make it tougher to guesstimate (no more seas of empty blue seats) but it seemed to be an exceptionally small crowd yesterday. Lots of empty seats in my section and because the 'comp' tickets came so late, dunno if mine were even used...?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I didn't notice any attendance announcement at the game but cfl.ca reckons it was 24,871...
Not arguing the numbers put I wonder if that was paid attendance? Those renovations sure make it tougher to guesstimate (no more seas of empty blue seats) but it seemed to be an exceptionally small crowd yesterday. Lots of empty seats in my section and because the 'comp' tickets came so late, dunno if mine were even used...?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I suspect the attendance include the complimentary tickets offered to season ticket holders
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Reviewed a bit of tape, some further impressions ...

Very impressed with left tackle #61, Ossai, and right tackle #60, Mudge. Big guys, move well, tie up their pass rushers very well.

Norman did exceptionally well for such a young guy. Very calm and cool. Big, mobile and obviously intelligent.

Baboulas did well too, both as centre and guard.

Kabongo blocks out the sun as they say. Helluva pickup.

D Line guys got lots of pressure, and showed some inexperience. Evans, Jordan, Geathers, Henley, and the linebackers, Love, Bell and Paulk have size and talent. Many tough choices for the coaches. But that is the way you like it.

Westerman was drawing double team.

Impressed with the goal line short yardage play at the end of the game. Reilly and Harris back in. Olafioye on the left side, makes the key block, seals a tackle. Ossai makes a key block, seals the end outside. Lumbala leading Harris makes a key block. Easy touchdown. This is play design and game planning and play calling. Unpredictable and powerful. :thup:

Reilly's mobility looks even better in tape review. Long strides cover ground. Excellent anticipation. Moves around in the pocket well. Throwing motion probably left the NFL types unimpressed, but IMO the more important things are velocity, touch and accuracy. :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Re: the announced attendance, I would assume it was paid attendance, including all ST sales and at least the claimed freebies from the TM free-with-$1-service-charge promo. I would think there must have been a fair chunk of unclaimed freebies in that category and it's a good question whether the 24,871 includes those or not. I would think not, as that would mean the announced crowd would have to be practically double the ST count. That would be assuming the freebies were doled out one-to-one for every paid seat regardless of how many seats a given ST holder holds, as opposed to simply two per account, but in fairness I have no idea whether that is really the case or if it even matters much (i.e. the breakdown of the seats-per-account histogram).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: That would be assuming the freebies were doled out one-to-one for every paid seat regardless of how many seats a given ST holder holds, as opposed to simply two per account, but in fairness I have no idea whether that is really the case or if it even matters much (i.e. the breakdown of the seats-per-account histogram).
Every season ticket holder was given a pair of freebies only
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Re: the announced attendance, I would assume it was paid attendance, including all ST sales and at least the claimed freebies from the TM free-with-$1-service-charge promo. I would think there must have been a fair chunk of unclaimed freebies in that category and it's a good question whether the 24,871 includes those or not. I would think not, as that would mean the announced crowd would have to be practically double the ST count. That would be assuming the freebies were doled out one-to-one for every paid seat regardless of how many seats a given ST holder holds, as opposed to simply two per account, but in fairness I have no idea whether that is really the case or if it even matters much (i.e. the breakdown of the seats-per-account histogram).

I asked the question because I actually wondered if there was almost 25 thousand people in the dome the other night? It just seemed like a small crowd (maybe I've been spoiled by the last few games/WDF/Grey Cup). I'd like to see an ACTUAL attendance # (people who walked in the door) as oppossed to including tickets people paid for and chose not to use. Even though IMO, it seemed like a small crowd there is no question the changing in the colour format for the seats makes it much easier than seeing those huge banks of blue seats. Maybe its because I'm cheap or just because I love football (especially CFL), there is no way I would skip the preseason but IMO quite a few season ticket holders don't bother to come to preseason.

I heard what the Argos are doing for their preseason game. Schools (meaning elementary, possibly secondarys schools) are getting 30,000 tickets. Great idea. If the seat will be empty to a pre-season game anyway, get your possible future generation of fans out to the game....
woody
Champion

here are some pictures from the game.Im using flickr for the first time so i hope this link works.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

woody wrote:here are some pictures from the game.Im using flickr for the first time so i hope this link works.
Good job, as always, Woody. :rockin:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I just finished watching the game for the 2nd time, and thought I would post some comments about the team and players...

The O looked very good, which is a reflection of Chaps...yes, the running game wasn't lighting it up, but take that with a big grain of sand...the toughest thing for an OLine to do is gel together with positioning and timing...and the toughest thing to position and time is your run block assignments...and so much of the running game depends on your Guards...a 3rd round draft pick rookie, and an 8 year veteran that just arrived to a new team...it is going to take some time for this to work, but it will...Kabongos size ensures that alone...Harris can hide behind hit butt all play long...

The D was very, very good which is a big compliment to new D coordinator Rich Stubler...yes, he is a veteran coach, and knows a lot of these players, but for his 1st preseason game with this crew, they weren't unsure of anything...this is a DEEP, DEEP crew that is going to be VERY hard to score against this season.

Coaches...Chaps and Stubler, as mentioned were great, MB had the team motivated and very focused...that's the job of a HC...make sure your assistants have the right game plan and your players are focused and ready to go...he did a lot of teaching on the sidelines as well, which can be a big help, even to the vets...

OK, the players...

Of the returning starters, there isn't much to say...they looked very good...Archibald and Olafoye were dominating, as were Taylor and Mitchell...McKenzie looked very good as well...Bruce and Geroy seemed to be in mid season form...the younger Canadian receivers looked very good as well, which could be a horrible thing for the rest of the league if Gore, Foster and Iannunzzi take their respective games to another level.

Of the newbies...many thoughs...

First, Patrick Kabongo looked GREAT...especially considering how new he is to the system and the players...big game, big effort from Patrick, he might just start all season long for the Leos...I think he could thrive on that line...a starting FIVE of Archibald, Kabongo, Reid, Valli, and Olafoye might be the best 5 we've ever witnessed here...

I was very impressed by Matt Norman...he didn't do anything very well, but he didn't make any huge mistakes...he played a lot, and I watched him a lot, and he didn't appear to miss an assignment (amazing), and was competitive against some very big bodies...once the "wide eyes" subside with him, and he starts trusting in himself and little more, he will show more EXPLOSION out there, and when he does, he might become a very, very good starting CFL guard...to have those smarts, that composure, and his physical frame, he is a keeper for sure...the Lions need to work something out with him so that he does NOT go back to school this year, but I'm sure Dorazio has already mentioned that to Wally.

Out of all the other IMPORT OLinemen, the only one that caught my eye, consistently was Ben Assai from UW in Seattle...he was good on every down, and if he will agree to it, he would make a great addition to the practise roster in preparation for replacing Olafoye at RT...he looked very good out there. I know that Joe made a positive comments about Mudge, but I'm sorry, I don't think he has what it takes to play tackle at the pro level...

How about #83 Keith Godding...apparently Lulay worked him out and recommended the Leos sign him...good thing...the kid can play, and he is CANADIAN...he ran smart routes, caught the ball technically very well, made catches over the middle, and made in air adjustments to catch the ball...not bad from a rookie...I am NOT in favour of letting Paris go, who can still play at a high level, IMO, but if Godding can make it to the practise roster, the Leos had better do it...he is going to make a good CFL receiver, IMO.

As for the import WRs...Taylor had good and bad moments...Jackson finally saw the ball late, and did things with it, but he is a little bigger and slower type WR, and I don't know that is going to make with the Lions...Nick Moore obviously responded to a mulligan...he was given a break last year, by allowing him to return to camp this year...he had the shoulder injury and dropped passes, but he is healthy now, and looked very, very good...even in traffic...the problem for Nick is to make this team he has to replace Kierri Johnson, who returns kicks and has legitimate scary speed, and that is a tall order...I think Moore is going to be a tough call for the Lions...

At RB, I loved the time Stu Foord got on the field...although he needs more experience in pass blocking (and picking up the RIGHT guy), he looks to be the solid addition we all thought he was when Wally signed him...Tony Stewart looked very good, but it will be very tough for him to oust Tim Brown...I'm just not sure what the Lions can do there, other than if he looks good again in game 2, trade him to the East and let him play elsewhere, because play, he can.

On Big D...the secondary played well...Parker looked right at home...Reddick was all over the field (and under control)...Muamba was solid at safety...he didn't make any plays, but he was in the right position all game, he made the right reads and adjustments, and didn't make any big mistakes...so he looks like the Canadian safety if thats what the Leos want (LaRose couldn't play solid positional safety even by the Grey Cup)....the new imports ALL LOOKED GOOD...talk about an embarrassment of riches...we have arguably the best secondary that the Lions have ever put on the field, and along comes Lawson, Pope, Butler, and especially Bell...Josh Bell can play...

The only thing that is weird or a little perplexing with the Leos is Lin J Shell...he is the leading returning tackler in the CFL, a league All Star, and we have him buried on the 2nd and 3rd string teams...as good as Reddick is, how is he better than Lin J Shell in the NIckel??? The same goes for Ryan Phillips at the wide side HB spot...Shell, to me, seemed to be a little lethargic and out of sorts Friday night...and I can understand why...and with the emergence of a Josh Bell and the Lions insistence on starting Muamba at safety, maybe the Lions trade Shell right back out of town??? He is simply too high payed a player, with too much talent and pedigree to be the DIME in our Defence...weird situation...

LBs...Yurichuck and Bighill both looked pretty good at MLB...Yurichuck with a never say die sack, and Bighill with a beautiful pick for 6...but both still have a ton to learn about playing LB in the middle...especially Bighill...at 225, you simply CANNOT allow yourself to be fully engaged by the Centre or Guard at 325 pounds...at least Yurichuck is able to be engaged in the hole, or the middle, to clog things up, Bighill, on running plays, is getting pushed 10 to 15 yards out of the play by the OLine, and this CAN'T happen on a consistent basis, or we are going to struggle against the run, even with Mitchell and Taylor at the tackle spot...that is why I would almost prefer a Beau Bell or Glenn Love at MLB, because of their respective sizes, strength, and savvy playing inside...they understand how to shuck OLineman, and not get driven out of the hole. The problem is, Yurichuck and Bighill got ALL of the 1st and 2nd team reps and Bell and Love played all the 3rd string reps, meaning the Lions aren't giving them much of a chance to oust the 2 aforementioned veterans... I like Bighill and Yurichuck, they both have a place on this team, but playing MLB in ANY league is a VERY important spot to fill, and if it is not properly taken care of, it can make your defence vulnerable. We will see, I guess...

Finally, as for DLine, it is clear that Khreem Smith is back as a starter for another season...none of the other guys in camp are going to supplant any of the starters this year...Rodney Paulk was by far the best of the DLine wannabes...he has a big motor for a guy with good size...again, he will make a strong practise roster candidate if he chooses to be there...but Geathers, Henley, Jordan, and Evans did not show me enough to say that they are good enough to start, or perhaps even stick...None of them played poorly, but all of them were UNDERWHELMING, and will Evans has speed and some decent moves inside, he is simply too small inside to make any headway in the pocket...granted it is only one game, but not of the aforementioned are looking like they will make the final roster...again, we will see...but with Westermann being our #1 pick and Canadian, he will obviously stick, leaving the rest to try and be a 6th DLineman and an import on this team...

Quickly, Ortiz did a nice job not only long snapping, but getting down field right away on special team...and Hugh O'Neill not only has a "BIG" leg, but showed very nice touch on this punts as well.

Overall, this is a VERY GOOD football team, top to bottom...I was very impressed by Mike Benevides in his opener as Head Coach, and cannot see this team losing very many football games in 2012...they are simply too good and too deep on both sides of the football...and if the Leos play hard, aggressive special teams, they are going to be lethal...

Great Effort!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: Out of all the other IMPORT OLinemen, the only one that caught my eye, consistently was Ben Assai from UW in Seattle...he was good on every down, and if he will agree to it, he would make a great addition to the practise roster in preparation for replacing Olafoye at RT...he looked very good out there. I know that Joe made a positive comments about Mudge, but I'm sorry, I don't think he has what it takes to play tackle at the pro level...
Great comments, MLFan. I read them with interest. :thup: From what I have seen there is not another CFL site that has such thoughtful football insight as this one. Most of the sites have bloggers that just seem to want to insult each other.

I cheated. I only watched the highlights, in review. Mudge was OK on them. And Ossai was dominant on them.

With Randolph coming in it looks like Dorazio is not all that happy with at least one of the new guys, or all of them.

Interesting about Godding. He would certainly add to our NI depth.

I really like Anthony Reddick. It would take one helluva lot to beat him out IMO. And I don't think Shell can do that.

It does kind of look like status quo for the D Line. And nothing wrong with that. The new guys have not done anyway near enough to unseat somebody it seems to me. And Westerman looks every bit as advertised. Great NI for rotation. Be interesting to see how the Lions handle Doege.

Very impressed with Kabongo and Norman. What could have been a disaster instead looks like extreme depth on the O Line. Be nice to keep Norman for sure. Kirby Who?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great breakdown, MexicoLionFan.

The Lions went into camp with a set roster on offence, and the only changes will be due to injuries. Those who were thought by some to be on the bubble, WR Kierrie Johnson, RB Tim Brown and SB Nick Moore, have been standouts in camp.

On defence, it's clear that the starting front 4 will remain unchanged. Jabar Westerman will rotate. After that, no one has stepped up to claim the one roster spot the coaches had planned to give to a rookie import defensive end. Brandon Peguese will have four practices and a bit of a preseason game to show what he can do. The secondary looks solid with Parker at the corner and Muamba taking over at safety, backed up by LaRose. Linebacking was a question mark but appears to be solidifying with Yurichuk and Bighill sharing time in the middle and McKenzie calling the defence from his weakside spot. I still wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie moved to the middle by Game 5. Anthony Reddick is solid at nickel but Lin-J Shell is unimpressive as his backup and the sixth DB, at least in man coverage. Rich Stubler is a master at capitalizing on the strengths of his veterans and hiding their weaknesses, though, so I don't expect to see him released. I wasn't impressed with Josh Bell at camp, although the person beside me was. I thought he made costly mistakes. He showed that in preseason too, taking two interferencee penalties (the only Lions penalties of the game, other than the sleeper play by the punt team) and giving up the only touchdown. Still, he can play man to man defence and with experience can develop into a good DB. I expect him to be kept around in some capacity.

The only real question is whether Mike Benevides will cut a veteran. Seeing the way veterans have been given first-team reps throughout camp, that seems unlikely. The chemistry on this team is incredible. No one needs to rock the boat or shake anything up to send a message. A roster shock could backfire. For most of the rookies who have sweated and shivered through two weeks of camp, all we can say is thanks for coming but, sorry, we have no openings for you.