Mike Benevides Show - TEAM1040

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

McLetchie
Rookie

Folks,

A heads-up that 1040 will have the Mike Benevides Show every Monday night, 6:00-7:00 with Bob Marjanovich, starting tonight (June 4).

If you're not near a radio, you can listen online at www.teamradio.ca/live/music-player/index.html

Thanks
Iain
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks for the heads up Iain. :thup:
Will be tuning in every week.
David
Team Captain

Great news.

Is Coach Bene going to be taking questions from callers?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Great news.

I don't care for the onair questions, better to sort through emails from the fans and pick the better ones, so we don't get into the second or third string QB should be starting after a loss. Having the show is great though, something that the Lions haven't been doing that other teams use to help connect with their fanbase.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Marjanaovich is good. Should be a good show. Benny will have to curb his enthusiasm just a bit though. He has a bit of a tendency to go over the top, as with his comment about Jordan Yantz and Billy Greene.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Marjanaovich is good. Should be a good show. Benny will have to curb his enthusiasm just a bit though. He has a bit of a tendency to go over the top, as with his comment about Jordan Yantz and Billy Greene.
Yah, I hope he doesn't put Bob into a headlock on the opening show...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, Iaian. Afternoon practice at training camp runs from 4 to 6 p.m. so Bene will be fresh off the field. Marjanovich will be the first and perhaps the only media person to get the coach's end-of-day impressions. Daily media access is usually restricted to the end of morning practice only.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

I don't care for the onair questions, better to sort through emails from the fans and pick the better ones, so we don't get into the second or third string QB should be starting after a loss. Having the show is great though, something that the Lions haven't been doing that other teams use to help connect with their fanbase.
I second that. Like the idea of getting the fans involved
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Paterson and Taylor just discussed this not long ago and apparently the answer to that is yes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Podcast?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LOL Benny talks so fast he gets out of breath. But I think the players buy into what he is all about.

What I liked was what Giulio said in the follow up interview. Tempo. Tempo.

Paul Brown brought that concept into pro football. No wasted time. Everybody working. At game speed. Bill Walsh did that too. Marc Trestman does it in Montreal. Benny is doing it here in B.C.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:LOL Benny talks so fast he gets out of breath. But I think the players buy into what he is all about.

Paul Brown brought that concept into pro football. No wasted time. Everybody working. At game speed. Bill Walsh did that too. Marc Trestman does it in Montreal. Benny is doing it here in B.C.
I am a big fan of Benevides. Smart, hard-worker, a leader, and a charismatic presence. You want to go to war for him....and he's a Canadian who risen to the top - you just can't help but be in his corner. All that being said, I don't want to see him over-compensate to try and shed the "Little Buono" tag. He needs to lighten up a little and not try too hard to avoid another 0-5 start that we end up going 0-5 down the stretch and he pisses off a lot of vets in the meantime.

There's already talk of making up T-shirts that read "Toughest Training Camp Ever" to hand out at the end of camp, which I find a little hokey and disingenuous. Just run TC with authority and purpose but don't burn them out. We had a coach here in the '70s named Vic Rapp who ruled with an iron fist and ran his teams ragged. We'd always charge out of the gate but end up at :500 by season's end as we'd suffer a string of injuries and players would be physically and/or mentally spent.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:LOL Benny talks so fast he gets out of breath. But I think the players buy into what he is all about.

I am a big fan of Benevides. Smart, hard-worker, a leader, and a charismatic presence. You want to go to war for him....and he's a Canadian who risen to the top - you just can't help but be in his corner. All that being said, I don't want to see him over-compensate to try and shed the "Little Buono" tag. He needs to lighten up a little and not try too hard to avoid another 0-5 start that we end up going 0-5 down the stretch and he pisses off a lot of vets in the meantime.

There's already talk of making up T-shirts that read "Toughest Training Camp Ever" to hand out at the end of camp, which I find a little hokey and disingenuous. Just run TC with authority and purpose but don't burn them out. We had a coach here in the '70s named Vic Rapp who ruled with an iron fist and ran his teams ragged. We'd always charge out of the gate but end up at :500 by season's end as we'd suffer a string of injuries and players would be physically and/or mentally spent.

That is true. I recall the Vic Rapp days. Players terrified. Coaches terrified. Burned out by mid season.

I agree about the T-Shirts. Pointless and stupid. That is proving you are a tough coach. Who cares? Most tough coaches have lousy records. Demanding of performance, Yes. But do not burn them out or injure them.

Like I said about Paul Brown. Efficient practices. Organized. Fast pace. Finished quickly. No burnout. Other teams would kill each other in practice. Pointless.

Possibly a bit of a bad sign that two O Linemen injured already. Trying too hard? Going too hard? Valli is like that. Here is my joke ... Valli needs another Valium. Ha ha

Valli and Newman should know their bodies and the limits. Dorazio should too. Or it could just be a fluke, two injuries. But it bears watching. Did I hear there was live contact? That is unusual. Tackling running backs? Tackling receivers?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Newman's knee locked up during a conditioning drill. It's one of these unfortunate njuries which happens. I don't think it has anything to do with the type of training camp Benevides is running.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Podcast?
I posted the link in the training camp thread. Turns out they didn't take callers after all, which is actually par for the course with all TEAM guests.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.