Mike Benevides Show - TEAM1040

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
cromartie wrote:Podcast?
I posted the link in the training camp thread. Turns out they didn't take callers after all, which is actually par for the course with all TEAM guests.
I found that , downloaded it and appreciate it. It was really more a question for McLetchie. Wondering if they were going to put it up on iTunes.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:LOL Benny talks so fast he gets out of breath. But I think the players buy into what he is all about.

What I liked was what Giulio said in the follow up interview. Tempo. Tempo.

Paul Brown brought that concept into pro football. No wasted time. Everybody working. At game speed. Bill Walsh did that too. Marc Trestman does it in Montreal. Benny is doing it here in B.C.

That's a great point Joe...and tempo doesn't mean that a coach needs to be a tyrant like Vic Rapp, Bill Walsh was quiet and methodical...

The point of tempo is that your players only understand one groove...FULL SPEED...and this is a good habit to learn come game time.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

In regard to having 8 NI starters, I wonder how that plays into Designated Imports and substitutions during games.

Does that mean you would have an extra DI, designated as such? Or just an extra import on the bench?

With 7 NI starters, one can only sub another NI for the starter.

With 8 NI starters, will the refs have a tricky time figuring out during the heat and speed of the game, who is legally entering and who is not?

With an extra NI starter, does it matter if an import takes the place of an NI starter? First in first out kind of thing? It seems complicated to me at first glance.

With an extra NI starter, I would guess you just have another import on the bench, and that he can sub in freely without concern for the ratio. Nah, it can't be that simple. For example, if an import starter is subbed by a Designated Import, can an extra import on the bench then sub for that DI?

Also if an import starter is subbed by an NI, can an import then just sub for any other NI starter? To me it seems like a complicated dance, both for coaches and referees.

Also, is there a penalty if an extra import makes it onto the field for a play and it is noticed by the opponent?

Comments?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:In regard to having 8 NI starters, I wonder how that plays into Designated Imports and substitutions during games.

Does that mean you would have an extra DI, designated as such? Or just an extra import on the bench?

With 8 NI starters, will the refs have a tricky time figuring out during the heat and speed of the game, who is legally entering and who is not?

With an extra NI starter, does it matter if an import takes the place of an NI starter? First in first out kind of thing? It seems complicated to me at first glance.

With an extra NI starter, I would guess you just have another import on the bench, and that he can sub in freely without concern for the ratio. Nah, it can't be that simple. For example, if an import starter is subbed by a Designated Import, can an extra import on the bench then sub for that DI?

Also if an import starter is subbed by an NI, can an import then just sub for any other NI starter? To me it seems like a complicated dance, both for coaches and referees.

Also, is there a penalty if an extra import makes it onto the field for a play and it is noticed by the opponent?

Comments?
Rule 6, Article 6, Section 4 – Designated Import
If a team is using its full complement of import players, it shall, prior to the game,
designate three import players as special teams players, who shall be permitted to
enter the game at another position, only on the understanding that another import
player is required to leave the game for that play. Such player may enter the game
on an unrestricted basis, only if another import player is removed for the balance of
the game.
If a designated import participates in the game illegally:
PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.
The Mike Benevides Show will have its own podcast in time for next week's show.
jcalhoun, thank you for asking.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:In regard to having 8 NI starters, I wonder how that plays into Designated Imports and substitutions during games.

Comments?
Rule 6, Article 6, Section 4 – Designated Import
If a team is using its full complement of import players, it shall, prior to the game,
designate three import players as special teams players, who shall be permitted to
enter the game at another position, only on the understanding that another import
player is required to leave the game for that play. Such player may enter the game
on an unrestricted basis, only if another import player is removed for the balance of
the game.
If a designated import participates in the game illegally:
PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.
Thanks, cro. I didn't really feel like looking it up this time. LOL

How about in the case of starting 8 NIs though? Does that mean an import, whether DI or just import, can then freely sub for anyone on the field, import or NI? (QBs separate as always) That would seem to be the case.

So then for example, if the Lions have 8 NIs starting, and you are on defence ... you could then send in an import at safety replacing the NI Cauchy Muamba. It would obviously give the team flexibility.

And it would seem to me, if you then wished to go with less than 7 NIs on offence (put in an extra import receiver for example), during the game, you would have to first wait until Cauchy goes back in on defence.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I don't think starting 8 N.I. allows the team to interchange them with imports at will. You have to designate 7 N.I. starting positions and these 7 starters can only be replaced by another N.I. on offence or defence.

I heard Suits mention this a couple years back, that if a starting N.I. gets injured, he can be replaced by an import if another starting N.I. position is designated (and reported as such to the umpire). So I think how it works, if a team starts 10 Canadians, 7 are designated starters and the 3 non-designated Canadian starters can be replaced by imports at will.
That is interesting, JH.
"if a starting N.I. gets injured, he can be replaced by an import if another starting N.I. position is designated (and reported as such to the umpire)"
If this is the case, and I have not been part of a discussion of it before, then that would suggest that a team can change the Designated Imports during the game by reporting it to the referee.

It gets a bit technical but that is to be expected once you have the ratio in place.

And I support the ratio. It is a Canadian game, and I do wish to keep a very strong Canadian contingent on the field. It does not bother me if it is still true that the huge Amercian pool of talent still means that sometimes a less talented Canadian is playing rather than an import. Does not matter to me ... And besides, over the years, I have seen the level of Canadian talent rise ever closer and closer to the American talent.

I really didn't like the NBA Grizzlies concept of a group of hired guns played here, didn't necessarliy like it here, didn't put down roots, did little or nothing in the community (well they did some things) and were happy to get out of town after the season was over. Our CFL guys tend to make a commitment to the city and the province.
McLetchie
Rookie

Folks,

I believe the idea IS to have callers for Mr. Benevides through the season, but the training camp sked didn't allow it this past Monday and likely not this coming Monday either.

And for those looking for a link to the full seg, here ya go: http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/team_in ... June4~.mp3

Iain
David
Team Captain

^^^^
BUMP

(on air right now)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:^^^^
BUMP

(on air right now)

thanks David, forgot.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Caught the program driving home from an afternoon's fishing. Good program. Seems like the safety position is for Cauchy Muamba to lose
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:....Seems like the safety position is for Cauchy Muamba to lose
That part doesn't surprise me. Cauchy had a good audition here last year subbing in for LaRose. The one that caught my eye was Coach Benevides (and Coach Stubler) raving about Jason Aragki's performance at LB. He put on some weight in the off-season and apparently has been all over the field making plays. Not saying he's going to be a starter, but they're going to give him a long look.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Moj brought up the coverage on special teams. Sounds like some regulars such as Lin-J Shell will also see action on the special teams
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote: That part doesn't surprise me. Cauchy had a good audition here last year subbing in for LaRose. The one that caught my eye was Coach Benevides (and Coach Stubler) raving about Jason Aragki's performance at LB. He put on some weight in the off-season and apparently has been all over the field making plays. Not saying he's going to be a starter, but they're going to give him a long look.
Good. He has been outstanding on STs in years past, but not last year.

Dunno why they waited this long to give him a look at LB.

The talk of converting him to safety or receiver was bizarre.