Kerry Joseph as starter for the Eskimos? LOL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Joseph actually played pretty well against the Lions in their last regular season game in B.C...moving the team smartly down the field with his feet late in the 2nd Q, before being pulled (thankfully) near our goal line.

From Tillman's perspective, if Ricky Ray was so valuable why have the Esks struggled to win over the past few seasons? Then there's Ray's salary dump, which saves the Esks $200k by acquiring the 3 new players. And the Argos have already paid $100k of Jyles $175k base salary for 2012. Tillman also hinted he wanted a scrambling QB. Perhaps Jyles won't get the passing numbers of Ray, but he's much more dangerous on the ground. The success of the trade will come down to wins and losses...either Tillman is a maniacal genius or a frothing-at-the-mouth miscreant.
You raise some good points, JH.

But I suspect it is more about Ricky Ray being loyal to Danny Maciocia, and not buying into Tillman and Reed. Just a hunch, a guess. If he doesn't buy in, then of course he has to go. Perhaps Ray just did not show any enthusiasm for what Tillman and Reed were selling. Something like that ...

Other than that ...

Wins/Losses, Salary dump, Scrambling quarterback ... These kind of things would not IMO justify "giving away" a quarterback of Ray's calibre.

It will remain a mystery for a time. I expect what was behind the deal will eventually come out. I for one do not subscribe to any conspiracy stuff. I suspect there was a disconnect between Ray and Tillman/Reed. That would be unworkable, no matter how good a QB Ray is.

Trading Ray was radical surgery. As it stands now, IMO the Eskimos quarterback roster is not too promising.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Joseph actually played pretty well against the Lions in their last regular season game in B.C...moving the team smartly down the field with his feet late in the 2nd Q, before being pulled (thankfully) near our goal line.

From Tillman's perspective, if Ricky Ray was so valuable why have the Esks struggled to win over the past few seasons? Then there's Ray's salary dump, which saves the Esks $200k by acquiring the 3 new players. And the Argos have already paid $100k of Jyles $175k base salary for 2012. Tillman also hinted he wanted a scrambling QB. Perhaps Jyles won't get the passing numbers of Ray, but he's much more dangerous on the ground. The success of the trade will come down to wins and losses...either Tillman is a maniacal genius or a frothing-at-the-mouth miscreant.
Joseph played well because our defence wasn't prepared for the change of pace he provided. Ray was, inexplicably in light of how they played us in 2010, limited to the pocket for most of that game, whereas Joseph regularly either took his first read, saw that it was covered and scrambled, or was running design scrambles.

Make him a regular in that type of offense, where defenses are ready for it and he'll have problems. As will Jyles. The limitations of both are apparent. If Jyles isn't the answer, finding someone young to groom has to be the priority for them, in my opinion. Is that guy on the roster currently?

And that's fine with me.