Update: Travis Lulay extension now official

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MisterJones
Rookie

News1130Sports: Told you last week - the Lions will announce Travis Lulay's new deal after Easter.

:cheer:
David
Team Captain

Could Geroy be hinting at this on Twitter?
Geroy Simon ‏ @geroysimon
How's everyone's day going? There's big news on the horizon! @BCLions
:pray: :pray: :pray:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hey, Good News. :thup:

Quite the off season we have had in 2012, after quite the regular season in 2011. :thup:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm really not used to the ducks lining up this well for the Lions. It certainly has been a magical time the last 9 months or so and doesn't show signs of slowing down yet. Makes me feel like a little kid inside.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There is an Easter bunny after all !
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Beggars/choosers, but I believe I read briefly that it's a rewrite of the current deal to a 1+1. Would have hoped/would hope for something longer term. :cr:
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Beggars/choosers, but I believe I read briefly that it's a rewrite of the current deal to a 1+1. Would have hoped/would hope for something longer term. :cr:
That is what the Team radio is suggesting as well. The option really doesn't make it different from what the Lions already have with Lulay. If he wants to, he can pursue an NFL job after the season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:
cromartie wrote:Beggars/choosers, but I believe I read briefly that it's a rewrite of the current deal to a 1+1. Would have hoped/would hope for something longer term. :cr:
That is what the Team radio is suggesting as well. The option really doesn't make it different from what the Lions already have with Lulay. If he wants to, he can pursue an NFL job after the season.
There is no option year rule anymore so Lulay would be bound to his Lions contract for the next two years. I doubt that there would be much interest in a 30 year-old QB from the NFL anyway although Dieter Brock and Doug Flutie would be exceptions to that rule.

BTW, I am curious as to where Lulay stands in the pecking order of Vancouver-based athletes in regard to popularity. I am guessing that the Sedins and Luongo are the top three but does Lulay get into the top five?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big Time
Champion

Ravi wrote:
Rammer wrote:
There is no option year rule anymore so Lulay would be bound to his Lions contract for the next two years. I doubt that there would be much interest in a 30 year-old QB from the NFL anyway although Dieter Brock and Doug Flutie would be exceptions to that rule.

BTW, I am curious as to where Lulay stands in the pecking order of Vancouver-based athletes in regard to popularity. I am guessing that the Sedins and Luongo are the top three but does Lulay get into the top five?
IMO he is not top five. Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa surpass him, as does Geroy. Lulay's embracing of the community is way under reported. Give it a few years and Lulay could easily become a top five athlete in terms of popularity.
Rammer
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:
Ravi wrote:

IMO he is not top five. Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa surpass him, as does Geroy. Lulay's embracing of the community is way under reported. Give it a few years and Lulay could easily become a top five athlete in terms of popularity.
It would be interesting to see where Luongo stood on the love meter scale here with the Vancouver fans, not sure that he wouldn't have as many hating him as loving him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:BTW, I am curious as to where Lulay stands in the pecking order of Vancouver-based athletes in regard to popularity. I am guessing that the Sedins and Luongo are the top three but does Lulay get into the top five?
Vancouver's no different than Toronto or any other CDN city with an NHL team. There's hockey, then everything else. The public has an insatiable appetite to dissect every Canuck line permutation and salary cap ramification and the media is only too willing to feed it - especially with the advent of 24hr sports talk radio and of course, the internet.

In Canada, million dollar NHL salaries have "legitimized" the sport among the Big 3 in the United States (baseball, football, and basketball) and driven a chasm between that sport and the CFL, especially among those under 30 (not all, but many). So the CFL isn't seen as "big league" to many and, while there's a sizeable casual interest (wearing my Lions gear around town is always a conversation starter), it's largely a niche sport among hard-core followers.

So to answer your question, the sad reality is that journeyman Canuck Andrew Ebbett has more Twitter followers (9,910) than Geroy Simon (9,388). Travis Lulay even fewer. While Canuck players can become heroes overnight, it takes considerably longer for CFL players in this market. The guy should be way more popular than he is. MOP, well spoken, generous with his time - both in the community and with the media. I think Travis will get there, especially if he re-signs and has another stellar year, but he's not there yet. Geroy is the most popular Lion.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Spud387
Champion

David wrote:
Ravi wrote:BTW, I am curious as to where Lulay stands in the pecking order of Vancouver-based athletes in regard to popularity. I am guessing that the Sedins and Luongo are the top three but does Lulay get into the top five?
Vancouver's no different than Toronto or any other CDN city with an NHL team. There's hockey, then everything else. The public has an insatiable appetite to dissect every Canuck line permutation and salary cap ramification and the media is only too willing to feed it - especially with the advent of 24hr sports talk radio and of course, the internet.

In Canada, million dollar NHL salaries have "legitimized" the sport among the Big 3 in the United States (baseball, football, and basketball) and driven a chasm between that sport and the CFL, especially among those under 30 (not all, but many). So the CFL isn't seen as "big league" to many and, while there's a sizeable casual interest (wearing my Lions gear around town is always a conversation starter), it's largely a niche sport among hard-core followers.

So to answer your question, the sad reality is that journeyman Canuck Andrew Ebbett has more Twitter followers (9,910) than Geroy Simon (9,388). Travis Lulay even fewer. While Canuck players can become heroes overnight, it takes considerably longer for CFL players in this market. The guy should be way more popular than he is. MOP, well spoken, generous with his time - both in the community and with the media. I think Travis will get there, especially if he re-signs and has another stellar year, but he's not there yet. Geroy is the most popular Lion.

While its true that Lions and as popular as Canucks, basing that on twitter followers is not the way to do it. Generally the Lions have an older crowd while the Canucks have a lot of pre-teen & Teen fans. Those are the twitter followers and follow ANY Canuck, because they are a Canuck.

A lot of people don't use twitter.
David
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:While its true that Lions and as popular as Canucks, basing that on twitter followers is not the way to do it. Generally the Lions have an older crowd while the Canucks have a lot of pre-teen & Teen fans. Those are the twitter followers and follow ANY Canuck, because they are a Canuck.

A lot of people don't use twitter.
I never said that Twitter is the only way to determine a player's popularity, but it IS a measurable. You could also look at media coverage or jersey sales but in the absence of hard data, that would be more anecdotal or opinion based.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

All this Canucklehead talk aside, the news that the Lions have Lulay for the next 2 years is HUGE...

With Lulay as QB, and the current lineup also signed, essentially, for the next 2 years, we have a great shot at a 3 peat...I hate to speak out of place, but this team screams dynasty...especially if Simon, Bruce and McCallum can maintain their elite play for the next 2 seasons...

This is phenomenal news!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein