And the name of BC Place is...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It'll always be BCP to me and I'll always call it that, no matter what label the media ends up slavishly hewing to. Just like the Riders still play at Taylor Field AFAIC. I know they renamed it but off the top of my head, I don't even remember the new name, nor do I care to.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

Big Time wrote:This is an incredibly sensible position from the BC Govt. First of all, 2 million a year for twenty years seems extremely low considering the advertising will be both inside and outside BC Place 24 hours per day. The length of the contract for 20 years is also ridiculous as 2 million 20 years from now will likely be peanuts.

Second, the biggest stumbling block was that Telus wanted all references to BC Place removed. That is absurd. BC Place has hosted numerous events that are part of Vancouver's history. The Olympics, Grey Cups, major concerts, Expo, etc. Removing that history for the small price of 2 million per year is insane.

Finally, let's not discount the fact that this deal had a lot to do with Darren Entwhistle's ego. This guy is known as one of the most arrogant, condescending pricks to ever be a CEO. He could care less about the history of BC Place or what it means to the people as long as he's able to champion the fact that he got to put his corporate brand all over a taxpayer funded building. This was about ego for him.

Fact of the matter is the provincial government will likely make a far greater sum in advertising than 2 million per year by parceling it out to various corporations than they would by selling their souls to Telus. If Telus is serious about wanting the naming rights, the price should start at least 10 times above what they were offering and the term should be subject to escalator clauses throughout the duration of the contract to adjust for market rates. Even then, I don't believe it's worth it.
(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap) THANK YOU BIG TIME I AGREE 100%
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

it like Rogers Arena , I will always call it GM Place
Telus World of Science, garbage. its Science World
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I was listening tonight to Team radio promote the opening game of the Whitecaps season Saturday fom Bell Pitch. How can you expect anyone to respect a stadium name when one tenant's corporate sponsor makes up its own name without paying for it? Maybe the Lions should promote their home stadium as the Braley Bowl or the Orlick Oval.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I was listening tonight to Team radio promote the opening game of the Whitecaps season Saturday fom Bell Pitch. How can you expect anyone to respect a stadium name when one tenant's corporate sponsor makes up its own name without paying for it? Maybe the Lions should promote their home stadium as the Braley Bowl or the Orlick Oval.
Do the media houses not owned by Bell also refer to it as "Bell Pitch"?

I'm glad no one has the corporate naming rights to BCP. It still gives me hope that one day the stadium will be named in honour of Terry Fox, as it should have been in 1983. "Terry Fox Stadium at BC Place" has a nice ring to it IMO.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According the Vancouver Sun, Pavco is now threatening legal action against the Whitecaps and Bell if they continue using the Bell Pitch name. Apparently Pavco has been issuing cease-and-desist orders for the past year, to no avail. It's no wonder the Telus deal fell through.

Here's a quote from Pavco chairman David Podmore:
To be clear about this, neither the Whitecaps nor Bell have any rights to utilize the name Bell Pitch or to name any components of the building or the building itself,” he said.

“PavCo has not given any [of those] rights to any of them. Their rights are limited to advertising within the inner bowl of the stadium and it is very, very clear in the agreement. And we will take the steps necessary to stop them using the term Bell Pitch.”
Whitecaps, Bell red-carded by B.C. Pavilion Corp
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:According the Vancouver Sun, Pavco is now threatening legal action against the Whitecaps and Bell if they continue using the Bell Pitch name. Apparently Pavco has been issuing cease-and-desist orders for the past year, to no avail. It's no wonder the Telus deal fell through.

Here's a quote from Pavco chairman David Podmore:
To be clear about this, neither the Whitecaps nor Bell have any rights to utilize the name Bell Pitch or to name any components of the building or the building itself,” he said.

“PavCo has not given any [of those] rights to any of them. Their rights are limited to advertising within the inner bowl of the stadium and it is very, very clear in the agreement. And we will take the steps necessary to stop them using the term Bell Pitch.”
Whitecaps, Bell red-carded by B.C. Pavilion Corp
Ha! Busted!
Big Time
Champion

I'm not buying this cease and desist nonsense for a second. It's been over a year they've been referring to it as Bell pitch and as recently as one minute ago, I was at the Whitecaps website which advertises today's game being at "Bell Pitch at BC Place". This is a huge dropped ball by PavCo. The first instance that Bell did this last year they should have been basically threatening to lockout the Whitecaps unless they cut this crap immediately. They obviously don't take PavCo seriously on this matter as they are flaunting the name Bell Pitch in advertisements around the city.

You can't allow tenants to declare naming rights in the facilities that they are renting. If I were PavCo, not only would I be suing but I refuse to allow the Whitecaps on to the field until they immediately removed all references to Bell Pitch from all advertising. Trust me, the Whitecaps will blink.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

What a mess.

Why did gov't stop the deal with Telus?

The Whitecaps are silly to call it Bell Field. If they got big bucks from Bell the answer is in the English Premier League with BELL on their jerseys or simply call them the Vancouver Bell Whitecaps. They call it the Barclays Premier League in England so why not Bell's Vancouver Whitecaps or Bell Vancouver Whitecaps? Not sure of the soccer league rules.

But Bell Field is silly and any legal issues with Pavco can cost money.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Anglophone
All Star

Of course the Bells want to call it Bell Pitch.
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

I have nothing against the whitecaps but bell pitch kinda sounds ridiculous.
PavCo should sue the Whitecaps. Don't get me wrong I like the whitecaps even saw some games last yea but to take name and just recall a stadium because bell pitch sounds better than BCP at least pay so coin to do it. WAIT LEAVE IT AS BCP.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Field sounds alot better than a pitch