FA Day, add the signings to the Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Lulay would be happy to have Parker on his side instead of having to face him
No kidding TheLionKing, that's the first thing I thought of when I heard of the impending signing of Byron Parker. I am sure they're going to have a good laugh over Lulay's "welcome to the CFL" moment (the pick 6 by Parker in dying minutes in Toronto).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Also written, was that Rob Murphy called Buono.....but Buono told him that there was no room at the inn.
Grass not always greener onthe other side
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I think that the assumption that it is Stu Foord is a good one...it could also be an inexpensive Canadian O or D Lineman for depth...

I agree with JK that the contract offer to Byron Parker is interesting because where do you play him? Marsh/Banks is set, and the best combo in the league...Phillips/Shell appears to be set, and is frightening for offences to contemplate...so, they could have either Parker or Shell move over to safety, which would be nice, but we have to play non imports somewhere...if they do sign Parker this is the only option possible, which would mean that Yurichuck/Gesse would be a shoe in for one of the LB spots, along side McKenzie and Reddick...

A secondary of Marsh, Banks, Parker, Shell and Phillips would have a chance of becoming the greatest combined secondary in the history of the league.

The wealth of the Lions is starting to spill over...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I am thinking that maybe Byron Parker might be insurance for Dante Marsh. If by some stretch they could sign him, then they could see how either of them might fit that position with Dante having not only to prove his recovery by medical but by onfield play as well.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can never have enough depth. You can always trade one of them
The_Pauser
Legend

Byron Parker would make out DB group easily the most dangerous in the league. I would assume that Lin-J Shell would transition over to safety? Could be a Barron Miles type?
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Edmonton all-star LB Rod Davis has signed with Montreal. The Esks continue to get weaker.
Herb Zurkowsky @HerbZurkowsky1
Breaking. Rod Davis, import linebacker, Edmonton, has signed with the #Als as a free agent.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think it's almost a certainty that Parker is going to wind up in Vancouver. CTV sports is reporting that Parker tweeted that he won't be returning to Toronto next year and thanking fans for their support
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Lulay would be happy to have Parker on his side instead of having to face him
No kidding TheLionKing, that's the first thing I thought of when I heard of the impending signing of Byron Parker. I am sure they're going to have a good laugh over Lulay's "welcome to the CFL" moment (the pick 6 by Parker in dying minutes in Toronto).

DH :cool:
I like Dante. A lot.

But I love me some Byron Parker. A lot. Like, go out and buy a jersey lot. I am absurdly excited about this if it comes to fruition.

I'll tell you this about that play. They telegraphed that pass coming out of the huddle, and Parker knew that pass was headed for Geroy at the snap. The learning experience on that play was "Travis, learn how to use your head better". It seems to have been learned pretty well.

I think the bigger question is, what type of overall defensive philosophy change will this beget?

And what does a guy have to do to get a twitter follow out of you?
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

[quote="jcalhoun"
Rammer wrote:Fantuz news update from Suitor...
@GlenSuitor

Heard from another source that Fantuz is still in Africa so his decision may be delayed. Hearing that Ham/TO/Sask/Edm are going after him

Seems like a foolish decision. Players that expect to get he big money need to do so before teams go to plan B and sped the money.

A team that doesn't sign Fantuz quickly may choose to move on to Labatte or Picard.
I dunno about that. If you wanted Fantuz, (and I can't understand why anyone would pay 200k for a receiver who doesn't wear #81), you'd have the money tucked away and be willing to accommodate him. And a need for a receiver, or a desire of a marketable name player doesn't necessarily translate into a need for an O lineman.

It's also probably a good move to announce it another day, even if he's close to a deal today. If you're going to shell out for what amounts to a hefty contract in the CFL to get Fantuz, you do it on a day when you can generate some media coverage. If he's going to wind up Toronto (say) you announce it on a day when the Leafs aren't playing (as they are tonight & Saturday) and you make it a distinct media event from the signings of Pottinger and whoever else you signed today. That gives you at least three media "appearances" "hits" or whatever one calls these things, out of CFL free agency, if not far more.

1). What you did today.
2). Speculation on Fantuz still being available
3). Leaking & then officially announcing the signing.
4). Official welcome to ________.

I've got my money on Toronto.

Anyway, my two cents.

James
[/quote]

18 in Montreal would be there too.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Just read on the twitter feed @News1130Sports that Buono made 2 offers today.....one was Parker, but who was the other?

Also written, was that Rob Murphy called Buono.....but Buono told him that there was no room at the inn.
Good. That time is past.

Re Avon Cobourne. Nah ... We don't need an import running back with lots and lots of mileage on him. We could use a young, explosive kick returner however.

And a backup NI running back.

And a couple of NI D Linemen.

Is that too much to ask for? LOL ... Nah.

Then again, maybe Tim Brown develops further? I like his game and thnk he can still do more in the offence.

So far, FA has went well for us, losing Sol-E hurts us, but keeping Jovan and Khaliff is just huge for us.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I am thinking that maybe Byron Parker might be insurance for Dante Marsh. If by some stretch they could sign him, then they could see how either of them might fit that position with Dante having not only to prove his recovery by medical but by onfield play as well.
Contingency may be the operative word.

Not only a possible question mark about the health of Dante Marsh.......but about the forgotten man in the Lions secondary......Davis Sanchez.

Buono has come out and said that he expects that Sanchez can play one more year......but that won't be known until TC.

Because of ratio implications, I don't believe the Lions can start an import at the Safety position.....so that means only 4 import starters (if Sanchez is done).

With Rich Stubler as DC, I see the secondary as Marsh/Banks as the short side pairing.....and Parker/Shell as the wide side pairing (something they've done in Toronto).

Which leaves Phillips as the odd man out......and depending on their SMS status, they can keep him as the dime back.......but if there's no SMS room, I can see Phillips in Hamilton or Toronto.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Labatte signs with the Riders, this might set the precedent for Fantuz to re-sign with the Riders knowing that Durant will get some extra time to throw the ball his way. Or it could have busted the SMS and Fantuz looks to Hamilton to earn that large paycheck.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

GLAD ALL OVER to hear that Rod Davis is gone to Montreal...that guy is a freaking LB...

JK, good point on Tim Brown...he was a rookie last year and struggled at times with the injuries and a long season, but he got healthy at the end and was a best going into the playoffs and right through them...based on his Grey Cup performance alone, we owe it to Brown to prove he has earned that spot...and I think he will.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Labatte signs with the Riders, this might set the precedent for Fantuz to re-sign with the Riders knowing that Durant will get some extra time to throw the ball his way. Or it could have busted the SMS and Fantuz looks to Hamilton to earn that large paycheck.
They're estimating that the Riders paid $350K for Labatte and Picard......do you think they have the SMS room for Fantuz and the estimated $200K he's looking for?
Lloyd