Messam signs with the Miami Dolphins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

According to TSN the Dolphins offered Messam a contract but no signing bonus. Messam may have got some bad advice bc accepting a NFL contract without a signing bonus means no $ commitment from the Dolphins.
Messam is training camp fodder with at best a chance at the practice roster. I view Messam as great raw potential, but not a polished RB. Apparently Miami feels the same way.
Rammer
Team Captain

Messam is built in the mold of an NFL RB, got great playing time with the Esks and now has to follow out the money. Hope he makes it, as I won't have to continue to ask myself why the Lions didn't utilize his talent and watch him on display with the Esks.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

kinda surprised. Messam seemed to be able to be stopped here in the CFL. Sure he had his big days but he needs to be part of a balanced offence. Like most running backs, he just will not succeed, IMO, in an offence where the defensive coordinator can say, Quarterback, beat us with your arm cuz we're shutting down your running game.... Miami has not exactly been known for being strong at the QB position for quite a few seasons now.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for rescueing my career, and my life, Eskimos. Thank you Kavis Reed for babysitting me, and forcing me to behave. I'm off to better places now.

Me. Me. Me.

Team? That is for suckers.

I'm glad now that he messed up with the Lions, and that Wally dumped him. Talent without character is not worth it.

He may well fail his tryout with the Dolphins. And he may well get into trouble once again. No guarantee the Eskimos would take him back.

Instead we have a very high character guy, with his own unique talent, Andrew Harris. :thup:
Tighthead
Legend

notahomer wrote:kinda surprised. Messam seemed to be able to be stopped here in the CFL. Sure he had his big days but he needs to be part of a balanced offence. Like most running backs, he just will not succeed, IMO, in an offence where the defensive coordinator can say, Quarterback, beat us with your arm cuz we're shutting down your running game.... Miami has not exactly been known for being strong at the QB position for quite a few seasons now.
Miami is considered a frontrunner for Peyton Manning, which would certainly be an upgrade.
joe kapp22
Legend

Not quite yet signed, strongly rumored, but not a done deal.

I hope he does get some $$$ because the way the CFL works he would be in a bad way if he doesn't land on the Dolphins roster.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Given his track record, Oakland Raiders may be a be a better fit.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Tighthead wrote:
notahomer wrote:kinda surprised. Messam seemed to be able to be stopped here in the CFL. Sure he had his big days but he needs to be part of a balanced offence. Like most running backs, he just will not succeed, IMO, in an offence where the defensive coordinator can say, Quarterback, beat us with your arm cuz we're shutting down your running game.... Miami has not exactly been known for being strong at the QB position for quite a few seasons now.
Miami is considered a frontrunner for Peyton Manning, which would certainly be an upgrade.
Actually the front runners are Seattle and Washington. Miami needs help at qb but are not a front runner according to the manning camp.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
MexicoLionFan
Legend

And now we find out that Eliminian did NOT get a signing bonus from the Vikings...it was reported that he got $35,000, but it turned out that he didn't receive one at all...so Sol is in the same boat...potentially training camp fodder...

The big, bright, fast world of the NFL isn't what its all cracked up to be...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

SolE can be a quality special teams guy in the NFL.

Messam is fodder. No bonus and you walk in with the upside of third on the depth chart as a best case scenario. Didn't work out that well for Mallett, no reason to see it will work out any better for Messam. Some guys are better off staying in the CFL. Messam is one of them.
OV - 54:40
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:And now we find out that Eliminian did NOT get a signing bonus from the Vikings...it was reported that he got $35,000, but it turned out that he didn't receive one at all...so Sol is in the same boat...potentially training camp fodder...

The big, bright, fast world of the NFL isn't what its all cracked up to be...
Sol is one guy who I think will make it in the NFL. With his desire and hustle, he's just too good of player to keep off roster, especially at minimum salary.

Messam with his size and speed might be a projected special-teamer in the NFL also, especially since they rarely have to tackle anybody. Hopefully he'll get a better shot than Rolly Lumbala did in Miami, signing him twice. Like with many Canadian's trying out in the NFL, they usually only get to touch the ball once in preseason. Messam is also competing with M. Thigpen for a roster spot.
Jamal Lee got more ex. game RB opportunities in the NFL with the Panthers than he has in all of his time in BC.

And Messam and Thigpen are totally different style RBs - they won't be competing against each other - unless the Dolphins have to make the choice between one style RB vs. another as a fit on their roster.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Messam might be putting the "mess" back into his career and name.

One good year does not make him a potential NFL star. You can't fault someone for wanting to give it a shot but you'd have thought Messam would have stated in Edmonton to build on last year's success. Edmonton might not wait for him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Tighthead
Legend

Was Messam a good ST player in BC? That may be important.

I think some people put too much stock in the signing bonus. It is more a reflection of market value, not necessarily what a team thinks of a player. They would sign them all with no signing bonus if they could, but if there are a few teams out there bidding, you have to put money down.

When it comes down to choosing the roster, the bonus money is a minor sunk cost and they are going to choose the players who best fit their roster.
ziggy
Legend

I'd have to disagree. I think the signing bonus is the only( albeit sometimes small by NFL standards), committment the team makes to the player. If you don't even have to offer the guy any cash up front, how serious are you? How worried are you he's going to get a better offer, than nothing?