Arland Bruce Contract Extended

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dpoe
Starter

Looks like he'll be hanging around if Farhan's tweets are accurate... No details yet but looks to be a done deal.
Last edited by dpoe on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great news!!!! Love this guy!!
Arland Bruce is staying on the West Coast after re-signing with the Grey Cup champion B.C. Lions on Thursday.
The import receiver joined the Lions in August via trade with Hamilton. He finished the 2011 campaign with 58 receptions for 859 yards, highlighted by a career-high 100-yard TD reception versus Saskatchewan in September.

Bruce added four catches for 82 yards in B.C.'s West final win over Edmonton and had five more receptions for 73 yards and a TD in the club's 34-23 Grey Cup victory over Winnipeg.

"Arland's football resume speaks for itself," general manager and vice-president of football operations Wally Buono said in a statement. "He is an exciting player who helped make our offence even better in 2011. Having him sign an extension today helps us continue building a strong team for this season and beyond."

New head coach Mike Benevides is excited to have Bruce back in the fold.

"Arland was a fantastic addition last year and not only instantly gave our offence another dimension, but was also a catalyst in our coming together as a team," Benevides said. "Having him attend training camp in 2012 and fully immerse himself in Jacques Chapdelaine's system is going benefit him, Travis Lulay and our entire offence."

Bruce said joining the Lions gave him a new lease on his football life.

"I could not be happier to sign this extension," Bruce said. "I have fallen in love with football again since coming to the West Coast and I'm very honoured to know that I will be given an opportunity to try and win another championship for our fans."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good news.

Integral part of the success we had last year.

:thup:
pennw
Legend

Great news , one of our key changes that turned the team around last season .
Big Time
Champion

His presence gave the Lions exactly what they needed. Another deep threat that can catch in traffic and open up space for all the receivers around him. Not only that, but he gave the Lions such much needed swagger, which they rode to the championship.

Glad to see him back in the fold and hope the good times can continue.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fantastic news !!!!! :thup: :thup:
David
Team Captain

Loonies and Toonies! :beauty:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

Now this is an encouraging signing! It looks like focusing solely on GM duties has done wonders for Wally's performance. I can't remember an offseason where he's landed so many vets, especially after a GC win when they're all demanding raises.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I must admit I thought bringing Bruce was a move designed only to smoke screen the disastrous offense as even him not playing the first game in Vancouver he dominated the news media. Remember Shirtgate and the diversion of Wally denying all witness accounts that Bruce wore #1 on the sidelines? Well his play certainly did seem to be a catalyst in this team and they did pick themselves up big time along with JC changing his tactics and looking like a great game planner and play caller.

I heard Stegall speak of this guy's work ethic as they train together in the US off season.

The problems in Toronto I put down more to Andrus the HC than to Arland Bruce. Not so sure about the Ticat situation.

Some guys wear thin in sports after a season or two. Let's hope it was just situational in Hamilton and he doesn't tire of BC.

Last season when he arrived - from then on the Lions got on a roll and the season was magical with a GC win. Next year that is all history and it will be back to TC and slogging and slugging it out. History does not always repeat.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I can admit it, I thought Bruce was a smokescreen to distract a sinking ship. I'm happy to admit how wrong I was considering how things worked out. Glad he's back as its obvious just him being on the field helps players like Simon (thereby giving Lulay more options). Spiderman and Superman back together again...
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wonderful news...Bruce, like Solomon Eliminian, is a pure football player. He plays full out on every play and makes explosive plays on the offensive side of the ball. Bruce is the kind of receiver that puts fear into the defenders...we saw many examples of his explosiveness throughout the season, including the 100 yard TD, but two plays really stand out and demonstrated his value.

1) Versus Edmonton in the West Final, when the Esks were trying to make a game of it, Lulay scrambled left and decided to run...60 yards later he was in the end zone and the game was functionally over. Lulay hit downtown because of the DEVASTATING block laid out by Bruce.

2) Versus Winnipeg in the Grey Cup, Bruce was uncharacteristically quiet in the first half and was even taunted by BB defenders, but he exploded during the most important 30 minutes of the season, and there was no better play than his incredibly tough catch on 2nd and long, in our end, that got us first down yardage and eventually led to a TD that helped put the game out of reach. Clutch and Tough...

A smart move by Wally and with a full offseason and training camp, there is no telling the kind of season he can have catching passes from Lulay.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It also shows how serious the Lions are about repeating and what Bruce means to this team. It could have been easy for Wally to say Bruce was a great rental player that got them exactly what they wanted but they simply didn't have the cap space long term for two marquee receivers and we have some quality younger receivers who could step in. I actually thought Bruce might have been a good fit back in Toronto with the Argos trying to take a serious run as GC hosts.

So glad that didn't come true.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:It also shows how serious the Lions are about repeating and what Bruce means to this team. It could have been easy for Wally to say Bruce was a great rental player that got them exactly what they wanted but they simply didn't have the cap space long term for two marquee receivers and we have some quality younger receivers who could step in. I actually thought Bruce might have been a good fit back in Toronto with the Argos trying to take a serious run as GC hosts.

So glad that didn't come true.
I agree Sammy...this extension says loud and clear that Wally believes we have a shot at a dynasty or mini dynasty here. The other thing about the Bruce extension that helps is that I may very well encourage Geroy to play longer...I kind of thought Geroy might leave after this coming season, securing the all time Yardage record, and having a 2nd Grey Cup ring, but Bruce's signing may encourage Geroy to look at the next 3 years. Which should be an incredible treat for all of us.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bruce is an eccentric character but also a man of great character. In the past couple of days I've seen him on Urban Rush with the Grey Cup and he has taken it around town, at one point hanging with seniors at a Richmond retirement home. He's a great ambassador for the team.

I've seen all previous B.C. championship teams and once (in 1994) got my picture taken holding the Cup at my workplace but I don't recall hearing as many great stories as I've heard this year about players sharing the Cup with the fans, and having a great time doing so. Here's a Richmond Review story on Bruce's visit to the retirement home.
Grey Cup comes to Richmond
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup:

Beautiful ...

Runako Reth is a great ambassador for the Lions and for the CFL.