Listening to the Lions game in BC Place

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SJ46
Starter

Can you listen to the game on the radio while sitting in BC Place watching the Lions game? In other words can you get radio reception in there? I'm asking as I enjoy the commentary from the radio guys but don't get that when I go to the games.
SJ46
Bosco
Team Captain

SJ46 wrote:Can you listen to the game on the radio while sitting in BC Place watching the Lions game? In other words can you get radio reception in there? I'm asking as I enjoy the commentary from the radio guys but don't get that when I go to the games.
You can certainly pick up the games @ B.C. Place on TEAM 1410 - although 1410's reception from anywhere is hit and miss. I can pull in stations from Seattle easier than trying to listen TEAM 1410. :thdn:
QB Club 63
All Star

I listen to the radio at every game but as Bosco says the reception can be iffy, unless you find just the right angle to perch your radio, then it's OK.

After the 2nd game back at BC Place I sent Team Radio an email asking why they don't do a simulcast on FM (like Rogers Place and Empire) but I never heard back from them. I would think far more people have FM receiver capability on their new smaller devices these days versus old farts like me with my am/fm radio from the 1970s! :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

QB Club 63 wrote:I listen to the radio at every game but as Bosco says the reception can be iffy, unless you find just the right angle to perch your radio, then it's OK.

After the 2nd game back at BC Place I sent Team Radio an email asking why they don't do a simulcast on FM (like Rogers Place and Empire) but I never heard back from them. I would think far more people have FM receiver capability on their new smaller devices these days versus old farts like me with my am/fm radio from the 1970s! :wink:
I raised this topic on here shortly after BCP re-opened and somebody informed me it was available on FM (something like 88.7). I tried it but frankly it was no better, and perhaps even worse, than 1410, which is no great shakes either.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
SJ46 wrote:Can you listen to the game on the radio while sitting in BC Place watching the Lions game? In other words can you get radio reception in there? I'm asking as I enjoy the commentary from the radio guys but don't get that when I go to the games.
You can certainly pick up the games @ B.C. Place on TEAM 1410 - although 1410's reception from anywhere is hit and miss. I can pull in stations from Seattle easier than trying to listen TEAM 1410. :thdn:
Most times the reception is generally quite good but the last 2 games including the Grey Cup was atrocious on 1410. Statics. I switched over to FM and found it to be much better.
QB Club 63
All Star

Oh crap! I never even thought to check here. :bang:

Too bad they never really publicized it. I tried tuning way down the FM dial at one of the games but I heard nothing that sounded like football so I switched back to the AM band and put up with the crappy quality for the rest of the season. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Big Time
Champion

Haven't tried the radio but I could get no internet reception at all during the Grey cup. I'd hoped to update Twitter throughout the game but couldn't get anything. So if you wanted to pick it up streaming over the internet, it likely won't be an option. I wonder if having the roof open will make a difference?
QB Club 63
All Star

I doubt the status of the roof would make a difference to any sort of signal because it's made of fabric. All the metal that supports the roof, however, is another story. You've got the ring of steel & pylons along with all the cables, so I would think that's the source of the trouble.
LFITQ
Team Captain

My nephew was able to access free internet while in the stadium during Grey Cup. couldn't you then stream 1410 over an ipod or other such web browsing device for better clarity?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
almo89
Legend

LFITQ wrote:My nephew was able to access free internet while in the stadium during Grey Cup. couldn't you then stream 1410 over an ipod or other such web browsing device for better clarity?
I think the issue with streaming it would be that there would be a significant delay between the online feed and what's actually happening on the field.
Big Time
Champion

I couldn't stream anything. I couldn't even access the internet via a browser. Text messages came at about an hour long delay. It got a little better at the end of the game but I was basically shut out of any access. I was sitting in the upper deck and have the new iPhone 4S. My carrier is Fido which uses the Rogers network. My buddy next to me had the same problem and he's a Rogers subscriber. Maybe it was just spotty where I was sitting.

As an aside, I do find it somewhat ironic that there isn't free wifi in what will likely be called "Telus Optic Field" or "Bell Pitch". It's the same situation in Rogers Arena. You would think that if these telecomms are buying the naming rights to our stadiums, they may want to offer something like that to paying customers.