CFL Head Coaches - Reinebold DC with the Alouettes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Scott Milanovich in Toronto. Promising signing.

Mike Benevides in BC? Elsewhere?

Hamilton? Dunno what O'B is up to. They seem to have good talent. Inconsistent.

Regina? Chaos last year. It was Miller's Time. He had the authority. And now he has walked away. Not sure Taman has the necessary wisdom.

http://cfl.ca/article/taman-continues-s ... head-coach
The Riders are in the market for a head coach for the second time since the end of the 2010 season. Last year, Taman was involved in the process to determine the candidates to take over as head coach, but the final decision was made by Ken Miller, who was then the vice-president of football operations.

Miller selected Greg Marshall. Marshall, who along with offensive coordinator Doug Berry, was fired on Aug. 19 after the Roughriders opened the season at 1-7. Miller returned to the sidelines as head coach, but resigned from both of his positions at the conclusion of the 2011 season. The Roughriders went 5-13 and missed the playoffs for the first time since 2001.
Richie Hall.

Corey Chamblin.

Craig Dickenson.

Dave Dickenson.

Mike Benevides.

Kent Austin.

Mike O'Shea.

Tim Burke.

George Cortez.

Gheeez, how many guys do you have to interview? it seems to me you should have a darn good idea even before the interview.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Every time there is a coaching vacancy George Cortez's name is brought up. He's been a brides maid every time but never a bride.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/fines ... story.html
CFL fines Argonauts for tampering

By Matthew Scianitti, Postmedia News December 2, 2011

The Canadian Football League fined the Toronto Argonauts $5,000 Friday afternoon for violating the league's tampering rules by approaching Chris Jones while he was still under contract to the Calgary Stampeders.
Whoooooooooo $5000. Yikes. LOL ...

But it does the right thing. It sends the right message.
CFL tampering rules state any person “directly or indirectly” connected with one club is prohibited from “directly or indirectly through an agent or by public or private statement or inference, contacting or negotiating with … any non-playing person connected with another member club.”

In a statement, the Argos accepted the fine called the violation an “inadvertent error.”

“The Toronto Argonauts recognize that casual conversations between various individuals frequently take place in professional sports that may unintentionally violate the spirit of a league’s bylaws but are often not subject to fines,” the statement read.
Milanovich should not have talked to Jones, even though Milanovich was not yet with the Argos. Too close for comfort. Too much of a done deal. Bad for the optics.
On Wednesday, Calgary head coach John Hufnagel told reporters that Jones, his defensive co-ordinator, came to him and resigned on Tuesday and informed Hufnagel he was moving to Toronto.

“I’m very surprised; had no forewarning of it,” said Hufnagel, who also confirmed the Argos did not ask permission to speak with Jones. “That is just what happened. I would have liked to have seen things go differently.”
After a flurry of speculation during this week, Toronto on Thursday hired Montreal Alouettes offensive co-ordinator Scott Milanovich as head coach. It was expected he would hire Jones as defensive co-ordinator and bring Montreal receivers coach Marcus Brady to be his offensive co-ordinator. On Thursday, however, only Milanovich was introduced, and Argos general manager Jim Barker would not discuss further changes to Toronto’s coaching staff.

But Barker did say Toronto did not approach Calgary for permission to speak with Jones.

“Chris Jones was never even brought up in discussions we had about staffing,” Barker said. “So that is what happened. We have not approached the Calgary Stampeders. There has been nothing else done at this point.”

When a reporter asked if Milanovich had spoken to Jones about coming to Toronto, Barker interrupted before his new coach could speak.

“I don’t think we need to talk about specifics of this,” Barker said. “It is getting totally off topic.”
Barker does dodge the question of whether Milanovich talked to Jones. It was Milanovich's mistake.

Not a big deal IMO.

Sounds like Milanovich, before he is announced as Argos' HC, talked to his colleague Jones about a possibility. Then when Milanovich gets the Toronto job Jones knows he will be going there. It is borderline stuff. A misjudgment by Milanovich. I would say $5000 covers it.

The Alouettes are being picked clean. They lost Tim Burke. They lost Scott Milanovich. They seem likely to lose their receivers coach. Ouch. But Trestman did a good job filling in the slots when he first arrived without a lot of time to do it. He will no doubt find good people once again.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'd be willing to wager a small amount of money that Corey Chamblin gets the Riders job.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

CFl has fined the Argos for the Chris Jones situation. Argos don't seem too flustered by the fine ( almost admitting culpabiility) and also haven't yet committed to hiring Jones :dizzy: Hmmm......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 49276.html
”(Experience) is the major criteria,” said O’Billovich. “Our game is so unique with the ratios and three downs. It’s hard for guys to come in here and do a good job. Even as well as Marc Trestman has done in Montreal, when he came up here he’d been a guest coach with the Alouettes for a number of years. So, he had a good feel for what the game was all about. To get a guy out of the U.S. who hasn’t had CFL experience would be a step backwards.”

THE SEARCH BEGINS

There are plenty of potential candidates for Hamilton’s head coaching job but one of the most interesting would be Mike O’Shea, currently special teams co-ordinator in Toronto. He is reviled by Ticats fans for deciding to sign with arch-rival Toronto rather than return to Hamilton in 1996 after a failed National Football League tryout. A return to Hamilton to try and lead them to a Grey Cup would be a delicious irony. Below is a list of potential early-line candidates to take over Marcel Bellefeuille’s job.

1. Mike O’Shea, special teams co-ordinator, Toronto Argonauts

2. Mike Benevides, defensive co-ordinator, B.C. Lions

3. Richie Hall, defensive co-ordinator, Saskatchewan

4. Corey Chamblin, defensive co-ordinator, Hamilton Ticats

5. Dave Dickinson, offensive co-ordinator, Calgary Stampeders

6. Kent Austin, Head coach, Cornell, NCAA

7. Turner Gill, Former head coach, Kansas, NCAA

8. Greg Marshall, Former defensive co-ordinator, Hamilton

Chamblin would make more sense than O'Shea. Marshall got the axe in Regina. Austin is no doubt very comfortable at Cornell.

Keep your hands off Benevides. LOL
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 49276.html
”(Experience) is the major criteria,” said O’Billovich. “Our game is so unique with the ratios and three downs. It’s hard for guys to come in here and do a good job. Even as well as Marc Trestman has done in Montreal, when he came up here he’d been a guest coach with the Alouettes for a number of years. So, he had a good feel for what the game was all about. To get a guy out of the U.S. who hasn’t had CFL experience would be a step backwards.”

THE SEARCH BEGINS

There are plenty of potential candidates for Hamilton’s head coaching job but one of the most interesting would be Mike O’Shea, currently special teams co-ordinator in Toronto. He is reviled by Ticats fans for deciding to sign with arch-rival Toronto rather than return to Hamilton in 1996 after a failed National Football League tryout. A return to Hamilton to try and lead them to a Grey Cup would be a delicious irony. Below is a list of potential early-line candidates to take over Marcel Bellefeuille’s job.

1. Mike O’Shea, special teams co-ordinator, Toronto Argonauts

2. Mike Benevides, defensive co-ordinator, B.C. Lions

3. Richie Hall, defensive co-ordinator, Saskatchewan

4. Corey Chamblin, defensive co-ordinator, Hamilton Ticats

5. Dave Dickinson, offensive co-ordinator, Calgary Stampeders

6. Kent Austin, Head coach, Cornell, NCAA

7. Turner Gill, Former head coach, Kansas, NCAA

8. Greg Marshall, Former defensive co-ordinator, Hamilton

Chamblin would make more sense than O'Shea. Marshall got the axe in Regina. Austin is no doubt very comfortable at Cornell.

Keep your hands off Benevides. LOL
Well the Ticats have already had one failed coach named Greg Marshall (though a strong argument could be made that he didn't have much to work with and didn't have a fair chance). So why not another one?

Turner Gill quarterbacked the Montreal Concordes for a year or so in the 80s when they were really bad (not the Concordes were ever good, and he was a moderately bright light on a dim team). How much of the CFL game does he know now?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:CFl has fined the Argos for the Chris Jones situation. Argos don't seem too flustered by the fine ( almost admitting culpabiility) and also haven't yet committed to hiring Jones :dizzy: Hmmm......
$5,000 is a small price to pay if Chris Jones can lead you to the Promise Land.
joe kapp22
Legend

A HC who'd I love to see in the CFL is:

Jim Fossil

He went to a SB with the NFL's Giants, then went to title games in the UFL, he is a sharp offensive mind who still has the fire for coaching, but for a couple of reasons, has fallen out of any disucssion for open Coaching positions in the NFL.

Another name to toss into the ring is George Cortez, currently working for the Bills, but has a nice CFL resume'.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
LFITQ
Team Captain

If the Argos were found talking to a Lions Assistant Coach without permission, is it considered tampering?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:If the Argos were found talking to a Lions Assistant Coach without permission, is it considered tampering?
Yes, hope you have video and audio. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:If the Argos were found talking to a Lions Assistant Coach without permission, is it considered tampering?
Yes, hope you have video and audio. :cool:
Would one team really want to pursue taking money out of the owner's wallet?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would not expect Wally to have to bring in a bunch of guys for interviews for Head Coach. Not when the two best candidates are already here.

Talk to Mike Benevides. Cover everything. Then announce him. S'il vous plait.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Wall ... story.html
"I have somebody in mind," Buono told a news conference today. "I'm not in the raffle business. This is not something that all of a sudden cropped up last week. In my mind I've been working on that next step. The reason I believe this person is a good candidate is because of the opportunities afforded him and how he's taken the opportunities and grown with them. I think, like me, I had to grow into my job. I believe anybody who is young has to grow into his job. You have to try and look at the individual and his strengths, his road to success and his road to the future. That's something I have observed for a long time. I do believe, once we've arrived at that point, we can move forward."
It would seem evident that Mike Benevides is the choice. But, ya never know for sure. Who is number one in Wally's mind? Dunno, but here is how I would guess ...

#1 Mike Benevides

#2 Jacques Chapdelaine

#3 Dave Dickenson
Buono reiterated that said he's not about to undertake a widespread search and interview a host of candidates. When he was named Lions head coach and general manager, in 2003, Bob Ackles, the Lions late team president, had only one candidate in mind -- Buono.

Buono will approach the job of finding his coaching replacement in the same vein.
I totally agree. In this case, there is no need to interview half a dozen people. Wally already knows the guys he values. He has worked with them for years.
"I'm not going to interview five people and pick the best one -- because I'm not that smart," he said. "I can easily be fooled. To me, I don't want to get confused. I don't want to be fooled. I want to know the guy I hire . . . and that I can trust in him."
Well, actually, in how he judges character and football ability, Wally is that smart. Nevertheless, Lions' fans will be waiting with baited breath the hear the next announcement.