new uniforms in 2012?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bc49
Hall of Famer

I have heard from several sources that a league-wide uniform redesign is in the works from CFL/Reebok in the 'near future.'
Does anyone know more about this and if this is going to occur for the 2012 season?
jagger13
prospect

I found on a website from Winnipeg that a sports licensing manager did say the CFL uniforms would be redesigned in 2012.

If that is true, I really hope they look at the last orange and black retro ones from about 10 years ago that had black numbers. Also the classic retro with different color sleeves and the paw print seems very popular.

The current uniforms with the line around the shoulder pads and pretty plain otherwise is nothing special. It would be nice if the team requested some fan feedback on possible designs.
almo89
Legend

I think it's key that they keep orange as a main color for the jersey. The days of the Oakland Raiders inspired jerseys should be long gone. The 70s retros they used last season was a very sharp jersey. Along with the Black helmet and orange cage. The team just looked nasty. The current ones they use now are not bad, but just a little plain and too much white in the pants and helmet.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

Agreed, stick with predominately orange colours. I like the latest unis, actually. Not too much on the helmet and it really set the Lions apart from the rest of the league.

Orange Wall, it's the new thing in Vancouver, imo. the antithesis of the overpaid, overhyped and over priced Canucks. Each to its own.
swervynmerv
Legend

70's retro from last season have my vote!!
David
Team Captain

If the Lions could wear any combo of these three uniforms for home, away, and 3rds - and keep them this way - I could die a happy man.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
smphantom
Legend

Reebok's contract with the NFL is over at the end of the 2011-12 season, and Nike takes over.
Not sure how much longer Reebok has with the CFL, but Nike plans a dramatic re-design of the NFL uniforms.
Stay thirsty my friends.
MikeAK
All Star

From everything I have found online and heard from people at sports shops is that there will be new CFL jerseys for every team sooner rather then later. I haven't heard or been able to find anything online that confirms the new jersey's for next season though.
bc49
Hall of Famer

To answer Steve's question - Reebok and the CFL signed a 5 year deal in 2008 so if you assume that included the 2008 season there is one year left on the deal - the upcoming 2012 season.
Who knows if the CFL is going to stay with Reebok or go with Nike after that.
But I am sure that Reebok would like the opportunity to roll out one last jersey remodel and make some money if this is there last season as jersey supplier.
Luke
All Star

I want orange to remain the primary colour. Honestly, I don't have a problem with the current uniforms. Sure, they're a little simplistic, but sometimes simpler is better. I love the alternate they wore at home against the Argonauts on Labour day weekend. The black with the orange sleeves and the orange paw on the shoulder. Those are awesome. I have one with 81 Simon on it. I'd prefer if that didn't change. I don't want a return to the nineties with the Oakland Raider inspired uniforms.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

hello, yes there are new home and away jerseys next season. They have not been shown yet. Im told by reebok there wont be a drastic change so im not sure what that means.

reebok is keeping the current black 3rd jersey (most popular at our store) for next season but was told the team will not be wearing it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sports & stuff----ric wrote:hello, yes there are new home and away jerseys next season. They have not been shown yet. Im told by reebok there wont be a drastic change so im not sure what that means.

reebok is keeping the current black 3rd jersey (most popular at our store) for next season but was told the team will not be wearing it.
Rick,
If that's true that there won't be a drastic change and that the thirds won't be worn, it's great news. I hate uniform changes and third jerseys. A team uniform is the most visual and appealing expression of a brand. From a financial standpoint, the most successful sports franchises in North America seldom make major changes in their uniforms. They are instantly recognizable by their colour schemes and logos. I have noithing against the '60s-inspired Lions' uniforms that David posted. In fact I think they're great. I fell in love with the team in the heyday of Kapp and Fleming, with their black jerseys with burnt orange shoulder patches. But orange has been the primary colour for much of the '50s, '70s, '80s and the recent era, so let's stick with it.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Of note... the Lions did not wear their Black 3rds once this season. Only the 70s orange/black retro for the final game at Empire so maybe the phase out of them has already begun. That is the first time that has happened since the Black 3rds were introduced in 2005. They were wore them 2006 WF and Grey Cup, along with the 2007 WF.
dtrain
Starter

for 2012:
primary home and away unis:
lose the black 'yoke' detailing around shoulders, go with a traditional/classic jersey detailing - maybe add arm stripes?
if there's any alternate uni, make it an EXACT replica of the classic 1964 look - I really dislike 'hybrid' retro unis - either replicate it exactly, or don't bother.

Helmet: PLEASE add some detailing - orange cage/stripes - too generic right now - a great football helmet should be instantly identifiable even without the team logo on it (Cowboys, Dolphins, Redskins...)
DYLAN
Rookie

Of note... the Lions did not wear their Black 3rds once this season. Only the 70s orange/black retro for the final game at Empire so maybe the phase out of them has already begun. That is the first time that has happened since the Black 3rds were introduced in 2005. They were wore them 2006 WF and Grey Cup, along with the 2007 WF.
the lions definately wore their 3rd black unis with white helmet at last empire field game http://sports.nationalpost.com/tag/khalif-mitchell/
(see bottom of page)

orange should stay primary colour but there needs to be more black like the 2010 70's retros... black numbers and black helmets look great... we also need to have stripes going down middle of helmet... we just need a modernized version of those with the modern logo,... dissapointed they're getting rid of the 3rd blacks... definately a hit... i was dissapointed that there was no retro weeks this year... i remember when they first did the retro unis back in 08 they wer supposed to do that anually leading up to the 100th GC... 2008= 50's... 2009=60's... 2010=70's and 2011 should have had 80s retro and 2012 would have been 90's... i realize that our current uniforms are similar to the 80s ones but there are a few differences... the cougar was black/brown with orange BC