Tiger-Cats fire HC Marcel Bellefeuille

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=381618

Excerpt:
Tiger-Cats fire Head Coach Bellefeuille

Canadian Press
11/30/2011 3:42:37PM

HAMILTON, Ont. - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats fired head coach Marcel Bellefeuille on Wednesday, less than two weeks after the CFL team came up short in the East Division final against Winnipeg.

Bellefeuille guided the 8-10 Ticats to a third-place finish in the East Division this season. Hamilton upset the Montreal Alouettes in the East semifinal before dropping a 19-3 decision to the Blue Bombers with a berth in the Grey Cup game on the line.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I was a little shocked at this move. I thought they were moving forward. But the loss to the bombers was disappointing from their standpoint as it looked like they didn't show up and were not at all prepared to play the Bombers. Especially when you consider the result against the Als.

Hamilton
Riders
Argos
BC?

all getting new HC's. Could be an interesting season in 2012 with the turn over of the old guard in the coaching ranks.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
David
Team Captain

Interesting. The Lions' convincing win the Grey Cup obviously not only impacted Barresi, but likely played a part in the firing of Bellefeuille as well. Had the Bombers knocked off the Lions last Sunday, the 19-3 loss in the freezing cold may not have been viewed as harshly.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The off season is less than 3 days old and there's been alot of changes. Didn't see this move coming
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This is what happens when you hang your hat on player personnel who are decent but not great. Kevin Glenn/Quinton Porter are not the QB's for success of the TiCats. They would have been better ages ago to start working towards a new younger batch of QB's. They have many other of pieces they need but without a good pivot, they will continue to be mired in mediocrity. What is next for the TiCats? Wouldn't be at all surprised at them being players in the Henry Burris Sweepstakes. Another aging QB whose best before date is behind him. At least is Burris if given his walking papers, he has the ring for credentials. Mind you so did Marcus Crandell and a worse Grey Cup QB, I can't remember in recent times.

I think that the Cats are starting to hit the wall. They improved a lot when Obie first came over. He did a lot of that improving by pilfering Lions players that were either prospects or cast off starters. People that he had background with. Those resources have run dry so the Cats are going to have to improve by finding their own talent.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Perry Lefko is stating that Benevides is to be interviewed for the Riders head coaching job and more than likely with the Ticats for theirs now too, although his article does talk more about O'Shea going to the Ticats.

Not much call it seems for Dickenson of late for a HC job? His name was bandied about earlier on in the season, but not seeing it much in the fishwraps now. Does the lack of success down the stretch hurt his chances?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Mind you so did Marcus Crandell and a worse Grey Cup QB, I can't remember in recent times.
I'll see your Marcus Crandell and raise you a Ryan Dinwiddie.

Obie has to have someone in mind for the job, because this move seems unusual to me. My perception of the Ti-Cats is that they were on the rise.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would be very surprised if Wally does not move to GM and appoint Mike Benevides as the Lions' Head Coach. It looks like Benny will be a Head Coach somewhere next year.

In regard to Bellefeuille, football coaches for the most part are "hired to be fired." If you don't win the Cup or get to the big game in less than a handful of years, time to move on, it seems.

If Mike B is Head Coach here, does Jacques stay here? He may well get some HC offers too. Or even go back to HC at college. Who knows?

Wally will have to decide fast, and act fast with his own status, and then take some action with his coaching staff here.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:I would be very surprised if Wally does not move to GM and appoint Mike Benevides as the Lions' Head Coach. It looks like Benny will be a Head Coach somewhere next year.

In regard to Bellefeuille, football coaches for the most part are "hired to be fired." If you don't win the Cup or get to the big game in less than a handful of years, time to move on, it seems.

If Mike B is Head Coach here, does Jacques stay here? He may well get some HC offers too. Or even go back to HC at college. Who knows?

Wally will have to decide fast, and act fast with his own status, and then take some action with his coaching staff here.
Wally won't have to act fast if he knows his new HC (should he decide to move to GM alone) already, and has a DC in mind....

With that said, I heard the TEAM 1040 bandy about Dave Dickenson's name as a possible HC with both Benevides and Chapdelaine staying put. Continuity would be great, not sure about both OC and DC being cool with that move, especially the latter.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Mind you so did Marcus Crandell and a worse Grey Cup QB, I can't remember in recent times.

Obie has to have someone in mind for the job, because this move seems unusual to me. My perception of the Ti-Cats is that they were on the rise.
TBH with you, I thought the TiCats were poorly coached, and far to inconsistent for their level of talent, for the last 2 yrs they were supposed to push up on the Al's and instead have finished at .500.

They also jettisoned Mann and Bruce inseason, which made little sense.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:I would be very surprised if Wally does not move to GM and appoint Mike Benevides as the Lions' Head Coach. It looks like Benny will be a Head Coach somewhere next year.

Wally won't have to act fast if he knows his new HC (should he decide to move to GM alone) already, and has a DC in mind....

With that said, I heard the TEAM 1040 bandy about Dave Dickenson's name as a possible HC with both Benevides and Chapdelaine staying put. Continuity would be great, not sure about both OC and DC being cool with that move, especially the latter.
I can't see DD over Mike B at this time, Rammer. I would consider that a misjudgment on Wally's part. Especially because I can't see Mike B and Jacques being content in that situation.

Wally may be running out of options. Let's say he decides to stay as HC/GM. Mike B would probably take another HC job IMO. And Jacques just might get a HC offer somewhere as well. Where would that leave Wally with his coaching staff. It seems to me that Mike B has been very loyal to Wally. Turned down the Argo's job three years ago.

If Mike B jumps the gun and takes a HC job somewhere else, then Wally might consider Dave D, or even Jacques for HC.

Wally has to decide and act fast IMO.

HC jobs do not come open all that often. And also Mike B, Jacques and Dave D are pretty darn good candidates for an HC job.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well with Toronto off the list of vacancies, that leaves 2 HC jobs open atm:

-Saskatchewan
-Hamilton

But maybe 5-6 Offencive Coordinator Jobs opening up, heard the Riders like Dickenson for that post, but also think hamilton fired Marcel B because they wanted to move on their guy quickly.

Mike B maybe? He'd fit in Hamilton but Jacque C would also make sense for them as well.

You are correct WCJ, Wally B will have to decide somewhat quickly, imo, he should stay on as HC as we are heading into turmoil in terms of losing FA's.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

cromartie wrote:

DInwiddie didn't win the GC. But there have been other winning QBs who have been pretty mediocre. Anyone remember Sean Salisbury?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Wally will have to decide fast, and act fast with his own status...
He mentioned on 1040 today that that decision will be made before he takes his annual Hawaiian vacation. No doubt he's well aware of openings around the league and can't afford to linger until the hiring pool thins out.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.