Planning for 2012 - Many Decisions for Wally

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/a ... le2252669/
Why B.C. Lions’ core is built for more
ALLAN MAKI Vancouver— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail Nov. 28, 2011
There wasn’t so much as an overturned trash bin to be seen on the streets of Vancouver Monday morning. If there were rioters at work following the B.C. Lions’ Grey Cup win, they must have come with the Good Housekeeping seal of approval and cleaned up after themselves.

Then again, maybe they saw all the carnage they needed watching the Lions beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Whatever the 34-23 championship game Sunday lacked in pulse-quickening drama, it made up for in decisiveness. The right team won; the weaker team got its windows kicked in.
A nearly dominant performance by the Lions. They left points on the field. They allowed the Bombers to sort of hang around. A couple of more TDs and it would have been a blowout. This is not complaining. The game and the win were very, very satisfying.

But "windows kicked in"? Nah. The Bombers played tough also. For 57 minutes however we pretty much snuffed out any attempts at offence by them. And we nearly blew them out with our offence. Geroy dancing down the sideline, just stepping on the line. Andrew just stepping on the line in the endzone.

And we did kind of let them get fairly close. If Willis had hung onto that near Int. that would have made the game way too close. We allowed them 2 quick TDs with 3 minutes left. We would have been hard pressed to make the recovery on the onside kick if it had gone far enough.

34 - 23 about says it. Not a blowout. But convincing.
The Lions, as they had during the regular season, overcame their rough moments with a punishing assault and a quarterback who did the right things when needed to lead his teammates. It was well after the game that head coach Wally Buono revealed the true measure of Travis Lulay as a quarterback.

Somewhere along the way, likely in the West Division final, Lulay had reinjured his groin. It curtailed him from running against the Bombers and made it harder for him to set up and throw properly. As a result, in the first half, Lulay misfired with several receivers open, leaving many to wonder if the Lions would come to regret those wasted opportunities. The players and coaches said that never entered their mind.
Well, suddenly, even though we saw it week by week, Travis Lulay is the face of the CFL. He is the star. And he is the right guy to carry that mantel. Whatever ego he has is very much under control and in step with team first.
“Travis played hurt. Did it affect him? Yes,” Lions coach Wally Buono said at his postgame news conference. “Did it affect his composure? No. Did the players around him and coaches understand what was going on? Yes. … There were throws there, there were opportunities, but in the end the character that got us through the regular season got us through this game.”

Lulay played smartly enough to be named the game’s outstanding player. He worked his offence, throwing to nine receivers for 320 yards and used Andrew Harris, voted the Grey Cup’s top Canadian, to squeeze out a ground game. Polished at 28, Lulay has the makings to be the league’s top quarterback for years to come. The rest of the Lions don’t look so bad, either.
“Travis played hurt. Did it affect him? Yes,” Lions coach Wally Buono said at his postgame news conference. “Did it affect his composure? No. Did the players around him and coaches understand what was going on? Yes. … There were throws there, there were opportunities, but in the end the character that got us through the regular season got us through this game.”

Yep, character.
Offensively, B.C. will have all its major pieces back – receivers Geroy Simon, Arland Bruce, Shawn Gore, Kierrie Johnson, running backs Harris and Tim Brown plus an offensive line that is expected to return at least four starters.
"all of its major pieces" ... Hmmmm ... Not so sure about that. It would not be possible to fully replace Jovon Olafioye. When last did you hear about an offensive tackle that gave up zero sacks during the year? Not only that but he caved in the defence on short yardage plunges. He did dominate.

Not so sure Arland Bruce will be back either. At what price? Can the cap afford him?
Defensively, what’s not to love? The front four was a runaway locomotive, the linebackers were active and the secondary was tight. There are always personnel changes made during the off-season but the Lions’ core is strong and ready for more championship runs.
It is highly likely that we will lose Khalif Mitchell to the NFL along with Jovon Olafioye. And Solomon Elimimian will no doubt get consideration as well. IMO the NFL will decide he is not as big as they like. Hopefully for us ...

As with Olafioye, when last did you see a defensive tackle just constantly cave in the offensive line as did Khalif Mitchell? For me, never. And I don't recall ever seeing a player play with such overpowering emotion. His post game comments on TV showed the heart and inner strength of the man. Just awesome.
The key question is: what of Buono? He is 63 and tied with Don Matthews and others for the most Grey Cup wins (five) by a CFL head coach. He has two years left on a contract with the Lions and may give up his head coaching title to concentrate on being the general manager.

The belief here has always been that defensive co-ordinator Mike Benevides would replace Buono, who has given no definitive word on what he plans, although last Friday in a quiet moment he did acknowledge he was leaning in one direction and would announce his decision soon since there were other people to consider, such as the assistant coaches.
As a fan, I would certainly support Wally as GM and Mike B as Head Coach. Be nice to keep Jacques on board as well. :thup: :thup: :thup:
He sounded comfortable with the way he was leaning. If that was his last game as a CFL coach – and it sure seemed like it when he hugged his wife and two daughters afterwards, watching them wipe away tears – Buono exits in style and on top, with a Cup-winning team to hand over.
IMO Wally's best job of leadership ever. Kept the faith. Adjusted. Found ways to get the ship righted.
The testimonials to that team could be heard in the Bombers’ dressing room, where the players’ comments were unified: Winnipeg couldn’t run the ball, couldn’t get anything going offensively until it was too late and couldn’t break down the Lions on either side of the ball.
Yep. Winnipeg could not run the ball. And for 57 minutes they could not pass and catch either. And they had little or no success stopping Travis Lulay, who played hurt, and did not have his usual mobility, and had some mechanical problems throwing some passes.
As the Lions accepted their Grey Cup on the turf at B.C. Place, Winnipeg receiver Greg Carr stood from afar and watched it all. He later told a TV reporter he wanted to remember every moment so he could use it to empower himself next season.

Maybe then the Blue Bombers will win a Cup and knock over a few trash cans in celebration.
The Bombers showed up and played hard. Some of the antics and tweets of their defence were far below the character of its less ego-centric players, but they all played tough.

Special kudos to Buck Pierce, who will always have many fans in B.C. And to Doug Brown, local boy who should go straight into the CFL Hall of Fame.

About the Lions' core, it is indeed formidable.

Geroy Simon. Travis Lulay. Ben Archibald. Keron Williams. Solomon Elimimian. Anton McKenzie. Anthony Reddick. Korey Banks. Paul. And many, many more. The team should survive the possible personnel losses and still be near or at the top of the league. IMO ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
B.C. Lions' all-star guard Jovan Olafioye to test NFL waters

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun November 29, 2011

The inevitability of a championship team, B.C. Lions coach and general manager Wally Buono concedes, is that it begins to fall apart as soon as it’s constructed.

It’s a difficult challenge to keep a bling-winning group together — because some players start to over-value their contributions and others, such as All-CFL guard Jovan Olafioye, begin to heed the siren call of the NFL.

Indeed, as soon as the Lions’ public celebration of their Grey Cup victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is done Wednesday night at BC Place, Olafioye will pack up and fly off to Los Angeles, where he will begin workouts in preparation for a series of NFL evaluation tryouts.
As the season wore on, and the playoffs unfolded, it did seem almost inevitable that the Lions would record their 6th Grey Cup victory. Just as inevitable, it seems, is that it is nearly impossible to keep a championship team together.
Left tackle Ben Archibald, the league’s most outstanding lineman as a member of the Calgary Stampeders in 2010, is almost certain he will have a new partner at right tackle next season.

“I’ve never seen anyone with his strength and aggressive demeanour at such a young age,” Archibald said of Olafioye, who turns 24 next month. “He has the physicality to do whatever he wants, and that’s what they look for, when you’re playing against the bigger bodies in the NFL. That’s what you need and that’s what he has.”
An awesome talent. Impossible to replace for equal value. But IMO we can certainly replace him with a very good player. Nick Hennessey might be that player.
Olafioye is in a sweet spot. He is almost the same age as many graduating seniors in U.S. college, yet he’s already played two years of pro ball, blossomed under the tutelage of Lions offensive line coach Dan Dorazio and been named to the All-CFL team in only his second season.

Plus, he was runner-up to Montreal’s Josh Bourke in voting for the CFL’s most outstanding lineman award. Intuitively, knowing that Olafioye probably was destined for a larger stage, Nick Hennessey rejoined the Lions this month during their Grey Cup run.

Hennessey first showed up on the Lions practice roster in October 2010, went to training camp with them in June, spent much of the summer on the practice roster, then got permission to join the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League to get in some playing time.

The 25-year-old from Colgate is signed for next season and would like to stake an early claim to Olafioye’s vacated position, on the expectation that there will be a big hole to fill.
“Nick Hennessey is a great player,” Olafioye said. “I think he’ll play the position very well. If I don’t come back, I’m sure he’s going to be a starter.”

Hennessey, from Danvers, Massachusetts, and a devoted Boston Bruins fan, certainly will face competition next year in training camp. Nothing will be handed to him. But he already has an edge on prospective rivals because of his familiarity with Lions coaches and players, who know him as one of the unsung heroes doing necessary but unrecognized practice roster and scout-team work.

“My hope is that Jovan gets an NFL shot,” Hennessey said. “That’s what I’m bankin’ on. I talked with him early this year, and I knew that was a possibility. It was definitely a factor in me returning.”
Defensive lineman James Bryant is of a similar mind. He went to training camp in Kamloops and spent close to five months with the Lions on the practice roster before being released in late October.

On his own initiative, Bryant has rejoined the Lions twice since then — for their West Division final victory over Edmonton, and again for the Grey Cup game.

Like Hennessey, he is also hopeful of receiving a championship ring, despite never having played a regular-season game this season.

“I came back to support my team,” Bryant said. “I definitely feel a part of it. Just the reaction of my teammates, them telling me how much they miss me makes me feel part of an organization that truly cares. They believe in me as a player, and J.B., the person. It was a great experience to have been with the team this year.”

Bryant is also eyeing a potential starting job next season, if All-CFL defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell decides to explore NFL interest.

“Coach Wally loves me as a player and a person,” Bryant said. “He wants me to come back next year. He wants me to be able to compete for a starting job. And, you know what? If they give me the opportunity, I’m definitely going to take it.”
Khalif Mitchell is another once in a decade type of athlete. Not possible to replace his talents with equal value. But I expect we will do a good job finding a very good replacement. James Bryant will be a contender. Very intelligent athlete. I do believe he has his law degree already.
A third Lions member of the All-CFL team, linebacker Solomon Elimimian also has the option of using a window to test NFL interest.

Elimimian, however, is noncommital about his future plans, knowing that the Lions would like him to sign a contract extension.

“I don’t know yet. I’ll have to talk it over with my family,” said Elimimian.

The explosive Elimimian is a terrific sideline-to-sideline player, whose physicality is unmatched for a six-foot, 225-pound linebacker. Still, there probably will be reservations about his size, and ability to close running lanes against NFL teams with a dominant ground game.
This is the one I really hope we can keep. He just might not fit the NFL stereotype for LBs. They want them huge these days. IMO Solomon is the prototype for a CFL linebacker. Here's hoping ...

Along with retirements, there will be changes on the Lions. But I do believe we can field a team at the top of the CFL talent pool once again.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

This is the one I really hope we can keep. He just might not fit the NFL stereotype for LBs. They want them huge these days. IMO Solomon is the prototype for a CFL linebacker. Here's hoping ...
I'm hopeful as well on Elimimian. I think, as purrfect as he is for the Canadian game, he gets caught in the Armour trap: too small to be a linebacker and not fast enough to be a Safety in the NFL. However, like Brendan Ayanbadejo, he could have an NFL future as a Special Teams ace if that's the route in which he wants to go.

But the nice part about this article is that it underscores how good of a job has been done at rebuilding the player personnel pipeline since Obie's departure. It may have taken a bit but it has born fruit, no?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
I'm hopeful as well on Elimimian. I think, as purrfect as he is for the Canadian game, he gets caught in the Armour trap: too small to be a linebacker and not fast enough to be a Safety in the NFL. However, like Brendan Ayanbadejo, he could have an NFL future as a Special Teams ace if that's the route in which he wants to go.

But the nice part about this article is that it underscores how good of a job has been done at rebuilding the player personnel pipeline since Obie's departure. It may have taken a bit but it has born fruit, no?
Cro, O'Billovich is an acknowledged master of recruiting and personnel work. But IMO Roy Shivers might be better. Both terrific however.

Look at the home runs lately. Travis Lulay. Jovan Olafioye. Khalif Mitchell. Solomon Elimimian. Anthony Reddick. Kierie Johnson. Mike Reilly (potential). Corey Leonard (potential).
The_Pauser
Legend

Here's to hoping that Arland Bruce is definitely back. I don't know why we would cut him...he definitely helped turn this team around and he creates more space for Geroy. Would be a huge mistake to let him go.

Olafioye and Mitchell I bet won't be back. In Mitchell's case we should be relatively fine with Hunt, Taylor and Bryant in the middle. I could see Johnson retiring, and while we still have Keron Williams it would be nice to have one more guy step up and take Johnson's spot. Would be even better if said new player were Canadian.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would like to see Johnson play another year. Lions are a little thin on non-import backup on the defensive line.
joe kapp22
Legend

Strictly imo:

FA class:

BRITISH COLUMBIA LIONS
FB Jamaal Lee
WR Paris Jackson
OL Andrew Jones
OL Angus Reid
DL Aaron Hunt
DL Khalif Mitchell
LB Anton McKenzie
DB Dante Marsh
DB Ryan Phillips
K Paul McCallum

Guys who will make the tour of the NFL:

-Olifaye
-Mitchell
-Sol-E

Guys we may lose to other CFL teams via FA:

-Anton MacKenzie
-Paris Jackson
-Dante Marsh or Ryan Phillips

Guys we may lose to retirement:

Angus Reid
Paul McCallum
Brent Johnson

That is a tonne of turnover, now I also wonder if the Argos poach some of our FA's, look at the starters who could be elsewhere in 2012 and their potential replacements on the roster:

Defence

Dante Marsh..no one
Ryan Phillips..nope

DT Aaron Hunt..Eric Taylor
DT Khaliff Mitchell..James Bryant
DE Brent Johnson..Kahrim Smith

ILB Sol-E..no one
WOLB MacKenzie..Joash Gesse

Offence

RT..Olifaye..Nick Hennessey
C..Reid...Dean Valli
Wr..Jackson...Foster/Johnson/Nick Moore (?)

K:McCallum...Hugh O'Neil

Just looking at that list, it seems to me Lb/Dline/Defencive Back could be decimated with very little behind them to even try to fill the holes.

In 2012, imo, we go as far as Travis Lulay takes us early in the yr if we do not have a good FA signing offseason, this is one of the reasons why I'd like Wally to stay as the Head Coach, dropping Mike B into that situation is not a good plan for success imo.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I still like some of our recent non-imports. Iannuzzi certainly showed lots. Helluva interception during that one game..... And Yurichuk. Special teamer and sometime linebacker. Harris, what needs to be said? These kinds of guys make everything else easier. You get the right kinds of Canadians and the rest becomes easier.....

I'm going to miss Sol E. if he decides NFL is his gig. Guess I'll still get to watch him from time to time the same way I try to take in Dolphins games to watch Cam 'Don't call me Derek' Wake :cool: Sure wish Cam had been able to slip a ring on his finger during his time here.....

I think a lot of CFL teams are facing some of these concerns too. They have their free agents that they may want to keep. Players may want to try a shot at the NFL (Please Mayor Willis---do the Bombers and the CFL a favour, follow your dream). Even Fantuz may give the 'Show' another goround.

I think Coaching is the big thing. Listening to the players Coach Melvin was a crucial addition for the D-line. Watched the D-line and Melvin do a seperate team-unit photo on the stage with the Grey Cup! How many Coaches stay/go and how the politics goes once that dust has settled is going to have a big impact, IMO. GM Buono will still have influence but as many fans have said (myself included), maybe this is an era where the two jobs (head coach/GM) need to be done by two different people? Of course, now its November, I'd be happy to have Buono return to both jobs based on how the season turned out.

I really want McCallum back. I know we have options if he goes elsewhere but he was just lights out. I like to play a little golf myself. I loved his analogy that many golfers go to the driving range and pull out that driver and start pounding. Paul uses his 5 iron. It about getting it right, not pounding the ball. I think so many games and therefore playoff positions/berths come down to the end, you want a dependable kicker. Did I feel confident when McCallum lined up for a 58 yarder? Hell, no. But anytime he had a chance, he was pretty good. My lone complaint has been this annoying tendency to kick the ball out of bounds after the Lions score a touchdown. He doesn't do it very often but when he does, its seems like its not a good time to do so momentum wise. Small issue considering how great a season he had and he already had an awesome career.
Blitz
Team Captain

I believed our Leos went into this 2011 season as the most talented team in the CFL and we added Kourenagy and Bruce as starters during the season and Jerome Dennis as a depth back.

We have a great core but Wally's potential retirement, the salary cap, retirements, and personell losses to the NFL could all impact our 2012 Leos team seriously.

COACHING

As notahomer noted, coaching is very important. If Wally hangs them up as HC and Benevedes is named HC, we could potentially lose Chapdelaine, with no offensive coordinator standing out on our present staff. There were years when the thoought of Chap leaving would have excited me but the guy turned into an offensive geru during the season, getting out of the spread offence exclusively and creating a dynamic offence. We know Dorazio is not a play caller, Travis Moore only has a couple of seasons under his belt, Kelly Bates only began as an offensive line co-coach in 2011. Losing Chap now would be a huge hole to fill and there is no Steve Kruck or Baresi who could step in on the staff. Sure hope we wouldn't go back to the co-offensive concept as in the past, should that happen.

On defense, Randy Melvin is overqualified for his present position and will get other offers. If Benevedes becomes HC, there are 3 possibilities inside. One would be to promote Melvin but that would not be Wally's way...as Melvin came in from the outside and has only been with our Leos for one season. Washington is the longest serving defensive assistant but perhaps the least capable. Barrin Miles has been with us for 2 seasons and is more defensive coordinator materilal. I could see Wally making Washington and Miles co-defensive coordinators, which would not be wise. Losing Melvin would be a big loss and we will have a new defensive coordinator in place, either way, if Benevedes becomes HC.

THE 'CAP''

Signing Travis Lulay to a long term extension will be costly and will reverberate through the roster. One impact, if it happens, might be the release of Jarious Jackson, who is expensive as a backup, but he has been an important leader and team captain - and highy regarded by his teammates..and would be a loss in a lot of intangible ways. We would also have no backup quarterback with any experience if Lulay went down with an injury. The signing of Lulay could also impact resigning free agents as Anton McKenzie or extending other players such as Dante Marsh and Ryan Phillips. It could also be a factor in whether we can get Arland Bruce signed up again.

NFL Losses

Players like Cameron Wake or Jovan Olafioye don't happen every season. Olafioye did not give up a sack this season and his physicality on the offensive line would be very missed. You can replace him with a quality player but it would be next to impossible to reach that high standard. Khalif Mitchell is another player who will be very difficult to replace...his penetration ability, his ability to blow up an offensive line, and his combination of size, strength, and speed at tackle don't come around every season either. Eliminian is built for the CFL game...his combination of speed and tackling ability would be very hard to replace.

RETIREMENTS

If Angus Reid retires, we could move Valli back to center and go with Newman and Hameister Rees as guards but I would prefer to see us try to convert Jesse Newman to center and go with Hameister Rees and Valli at guard. Reid was not a power blocker at center but he was an experienced center who made our offensive blocking calls. It will take time for oru next center to develop that aspect of the game.

A potential bigger loss is Brent Johnson. Right now we don't have a Canadian pass rusher who could step into a defensive line rotation. That creates all knds of problems. Even a five man defensive rotation would cost us an additional import on the defensive line without Johnson and the 6 man defensive rotation that we used so effectively during our playoff games would be gone.

If we had to go with 5 import defensive linemen, we would have to drop an import elsewhere. If that import had to be dropped on defense, it would mean that we would need to start a Canadian at linebacker. That could mean starting Yurichuk at linebacker and needing a Canadian backup at that position if he got hurt during a game. It could have an impact on how we view the potential resigning of Anton McKenzie, who has had a big contract.

Johnson's potential retirement could also impact how we look at our defensive secondary instead. It could force us to go back to playng a Canadian on the wideside corner position. We could look back to Sanchez there..hopefully not or look at starting Muamba at corner...and mean letting Phillips go. I really hope we can have all our defensive secondary back..they may be getting a bit older but all of them have at least a couple of good seasons left and experience in the secodary is huge.

Another way Johnson's potenital retirement could impact would be the dropping of a linebacker who is moslty a special teamer from the 42 man roster..and not starting a special teamer like Bighill could be a future scenario.

PHASING OUT PLAYERS

Wally has had an approach of phasing out players, sometimes before their best due date. This philosophy could also impact the roster next season. Wally did not extend Marsh or Phillips this season and one or both could be out of his future plans....hopefully not Banks and Marsh are the best shortside combo in the CFL. Phillips is likley the one more likely on the bubble.

Also not likely to be back is Paris Jackson. I felt our decision to phase out Jackson this season was a mistake and it was great to see him starting in the latter part of the season. Jackson still has a couple of good seasons left in him, He provides great roster flrxibility as well. We could start Simon, Bruce, Gore, Foster, and Jackson, with Iannuzzi as a depth receiver and drop an import at receiver if we wanted to or needed to. If we don't get Arland Bruce signed Jackson becomes an even more important piece of the puzzle. We also don't have a lot of Canadian receiver depth, as the signing of Thelwell proved towards the end of the season when Foster got hurt and Iannuazzi has not shown that he is ready for full time action yet.

WRAP

The need to sign Lulay to an extension with a huge raise, the salary cap, potentail player losses to the NFL, free agency, potential retirements, potential coachign changes all add up to big challenges ahead.

There is still going to be a lot of talent on our 2012 Leos team but with so many CFL teams close to each other in the area of talent, its not going to be an easy road to win the 2012 Grey Cup.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As always it will be a very large jigsaw puzzle for Wally to solve, getting all the pieces in the right place, within the various constraints (cap, ratio, etc.).

But I do believe the team is in good shape to do that.

Hennessey is probably capable of doing a good job in Olafioye's place.

Bryant may fit in well enough for Mitchell.

Hopefully a contract can be worked out with Arland Bruce.

I would like to see Brent Johnson stay one more year. He seemed to have lots of jump this year. Would seem to have enough for an active backup role.

Personnel should be OK IMO.

Assuming Mike Benevides becomes Head Coach, do he and Jacques have a good working relationship? I would hope so. Jacques would certainly seem to merit an Associate Head Coach title and salary.

In the CFL draft I hope we can find one or two good D Line candidates. Also I wonder if there will be any non-import D Line free agents available. I am disappointed that Nuvraj Bassi did not work out. A physical specimen. It seems the staff did not think he would make the grade.

Biggest holes to fill:

Olafioye

Mitchell

non-import D Line (if Johnson retires)

Lots of juggling and jigsaw work for Wally, but IMO we are in pretty good shape.

Get Wally's status settled. Appoint a new Head Coach, probably Mike Benevides, if Wally is moving up to GM. Get Jacques' status settled.

Feels like January, February or March already. LOL
Rammer
Team Captain

This is strange times, but with the potential of Benevides moving up the food chain, I wonder if JC will be comfortable with that move? That may prove to be quite the change in the Coaching staff if he seeks employment elsewhere. Of course who would have thought that the potential loss of JC would be considered a setback at game 7 of the 2011 season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

Hmm, is Edgson still around? I recall him being injured then waived, the Hockey guy turned Football player?

He'd solve some issues, maybe the way Ricky Foley did, took him yrs to get up to speed, but once he did he was a good player for us, hopefully Edgson can do the same.

Joash Gesse is another interesting player, physically as talented as anyone prior to his knee injury, he'd also provide options as does Moahmouhdi and Muamba.

I thought Wally did a great job this yr with playing young guys like Iannuzzi and Foster, and Muamba played some as Safety as well, if Wally does move upstairs, would Mike B take chances on playing younger NI's in his first yr as a HC?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
LFITQ
Team Captain

with regards to the CAP, I believe the CAP is expected to go up this year by about $300,000 if I am not mistaken.

That may assist in keeping some of the FA's around that we might not want to lose. That plus the challenge/chance to repeat might give some a moment to reconsider. Getting to the Grey Cup and winning is a huge boost to your financial portfolio that players should, and probably do, take into consideration when they sign.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:with regards to the CAP, I believe the CAP is expected to go up this year by about $300,000 if I am not mistaken.

That may assist in keeping some of the FA's around that we might not want to lose. That plus the challenge/chance to repeat might give some a moment to reconsider. Getting to the Grey Cup and winning is a huge boost to your financial portfolio that players should, and probably do, take into consideration when they sign.
Where did you secure this information on the Cap going up. IIRC the CAP has only moved about $55K in any single season. A $300K bump would be a huge advantage for the Lions given all their 'allstars'.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:with regards to the CAP, I believe the CAP is expected to go up this year by about $300,000 if I am not mistaken.

Where did you secure this information on the Cap going up. IIRC the CAP has only moved about $55K in any single season. A $300K bump would be a huge advantage for the Lions given all their 'allstars'.
I haven't "secured it"... I'm going based solely on my memory. Which, having just gone to Grey Cup, is probably a flawed idea to begin with.

And now I have "secured" it. The CAP is going up to $4,350,000 with a minimum of $4,000,000 in 2012. The Max in 2011 was $4,300,000. I probably saw the Min and Max for 2012 and got it mixed up.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??