Will the Lions' atttendance numbers improve in 2012?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Buonosjanet69
Starter

I just can't help but think just how fortuitous the Lions' fortunes have become after that 0-5 start; had we continued our slide, one can only wonder just how bleak the attendance would be and how different this football team would look in 2012

You guys think the attendance will go up dramatically next year? I'm thinking a 35K average is very doable, esp after the Grey Cup win and if they do something about the upper bowl pricing and overall marketing of the team.

But a 35K average is to be expected, in my opinion. The Lions did what they could on the biggest of stages and did it in the most dramatic fashion, going all the way from that dubious start. The Lions also were able to showcase the more modern BC Place (or whatever it will be called in 2012) to a large local and national audience. It may just be the place to be in 2012.

In the end, the football took a rather solid bounce in the Lions' favour.. they were very good and very lucky at the same time.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Almost without fail, attendance improves the year after a team wins a championship, usually by close to 20%, even if there's a sell off ala the Florida Marlins.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Almost without fail, attendance improves the year after a team wins a championship, usually by close to 20%, even if there's a sell off ala the Florida Marlins.
A reminder that almost certainly the ST base declines after hosting a GC, although the Lions were dealing with limited space in Empire which will affect that. Also I recall that the Lions didn't increase that much after 94 and 00, in fact may have lost some numbers on the 94 season. There are just too many variables this time around to count on an increase due to the GC, but the 'new' stadium factor may help out.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

From the Tritterverse this morning:
News1130Sports
Franchise value went up big time for owner David Braley. He wants 38-40,000 fans per game next year. 20-25,000 season tix sold.
What he wants and gets can be two different things, but I have to believe his season ticket projection is possible if they were at 18K this year. I think they've got to be really careful with their pricing strategy not to gouge in an effort to keep themselves affordable for the average fan.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

From the Western Final to the Grey Cup it doesn't get much better than it did for the Lions from an exposure standpoint. I admit I was a little disappointed with the WF attendance and was guarded how much hype and excitement we would see with the Lions in the big game. It was well beyond expectations and refreshing to see this town can embrace another team and league to that level. Heck, I think the Lions were front and back cover pages of the Province for at least three straight issues. Even the Kapp/Mosca scrap added to the intrigue and gave fair weather fans a better idea of the league's rich history and passion.

I'm sure the media will even admit it's anti-climatic returning most of their attention back to the Canucks long regular season with Columbus and Nashville in town this week.

BC Place and the game itself also came across fantastic on TV. With the extra cameras and production the whole presentation and environment was big league which is important in Vancouver. A championship team, led by a young and dynamic MVP quarterback playing in a world class stadium. Not only should it land more season tickets but sponsors as well.

The Lions should strike while the iron is hot and I'm sure they will with a season ticket drive before xmas.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

If they can average 33-35K ala circa 2005-2006, that would be great.
Even with 30k, BC place looks really good on television.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

"The BC Lions never lose their drive.. they can be 0-5 or 73 years old, but they'll always put up a fight!"

- 2012 marketing campaign :cool:
Buonosjanet69
Starter

I really think they should have the roof open for maybe two summer home games. I know Wally and Co want the roof closed for fan noise, FGs, etc but I think one or two games with the roof open would be nice. Maybe even the exhibition game, if the other games are an issue.

Things like that can push tix a bit too. If the brass says we will open the roof for a game or two, fans would want to be there for that. They should get creative with the marketing, this product is hot right now.

Orange Wall is the new thing, strike while it is hot.

btw, were there any orange men at the game? I was just waiting for someone to rip off the green men and do it at the GC lol
almo89
Legend

The one thing they need to do is have a whole new pricing strategy. I don't mind them making all the seats available, but they need to make some of those upper bowl tickets cheaper. I think a good way to go would be to have the upper bowl double lettered rows (AA-ZZ) substantially cheaper. I think this will help generate interest from the casual fan. If you have enough people buying them, you get more people in the stadium which looks better visually and it should offset the losses a bit for lowering the price.
dtrain
Starter

Agree completely on the upper deck pricing - how can they justify having it the same price as lower bowl?
Drop upper bowl seat prices, then maybe they'll fill them more on a regular basis.
Mr Braley can 'expect' whatever crowd size he wants - the market will determine how many seats are sold, and pricing is very important.
A big part of the appeal of Lions games has always been the reasonable ticket pricing, I hope they don't lose focus of that.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

almo89 wrote:The one thing they need to do is have a whole new pricing strategy. I don't mind them making all the seats available, but they need to make some of those upper bowl tickets cheaper. I think a good way to go would be to have the upper bowl double lettered rows (AA-ZZ) substantially cheaper. I think this will help generate interest from the casual fan. If you have enough people buying them, you get more people in the stadium which looks better visually and it should offset the losses a bit for lowering the price.

Great idea...the place is much better full than half empty...so having season tickets for the upper bowl, say 20 yard line in towards the ends zone, could be a family zone...for every 2 adult season tickets sold to one family, they receive one free for a child...something like that...

I think that 30,000 season tickets should be the goal...that would mean with a healthy walkup they would average 40,000 next season, and that is bang on for Grey Cup champions and the team of Travis Lulay!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Buonosjanet69 wrote:I really think they should have the roof open for maybe two summer home games. I know Wally and Co want the roof closed for fan noise, FGs, etc but I think one or two games with the roof open would be nice. Maybe even the exhibition game, if the other games are an issue.

Things like that can push tix a bit too. If the brass says we will open the roof for a game or two, fans would want to be there for that. They should get creative with the marketing, this product is hot right now.

Orange Wall is the new thing, strike while it is hot.

btw, were there any orange men at the game? I was just waiting for someone to rip off the green men and do it at the GC lol
MAYBE two summer games? How about ALL of em?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
bc49
Hall of Famer

The first full season in the new stadium plus the emergence of TL14 as a premier player and the glow of a fresh championship will no doubt improve the season ticket base. Most Lions fans have now had a chance to experience the new stadium in person and know how fab it is. I would imagine for many it was difficult to commit to season tickets for a stadium you had yet to personally test drive - like buying a car based on pictures in the brochure.
And the 'dome days of summer' were often an unpleasant environment but with the retractable that is no longer a problem.

The last season at BC Place (2009) the average attendance was 28,610
Highest gate: 31,958 (vs sask)
Lowest gate: 26,885 (home opener)

It would be nice to see every home game over 30k. A season ticket base in the 20-somethinigs would likely be required for such a feat.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Before I reply, I was wondering if there are any special instructions I needed for posting in this thread ;)
Real women wear orange!!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:Before I reply, I was wondering if there are any special instructions I needed for posting in this thread ;)
hahahaha :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder