Half Time Show

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So what did people think of Nickelback?

I actually thought they were pretty good. Their show was tight, crisp, had some nice pyrotechnics..... Wouldn't say it was the best of all time but I thought it was probably top 3 or 4 of the recent era.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

They were fine. I don't think anyone disputes that Nickelback is a tight band and delivers a solid show. It's just that their music is derivitive with lyrics that lean towards the cheesy side. Personally, I would have preferred Drake to reach a younger, hipper audience.

You're right - the pyrotechnics and light show was impressive. "That's When We All Win" was note-for-note the same performance as the Thanksgiving Day game performance in Detroit last week.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Are you guys kidding me? His voice cracked repeatedly, and he sounded horrid. The fact that they were basically lip syncing with the recorded song most of the time was even worse. Nickelback is an insult to pretty much any musician. Bc place still sounds horrible as well imo
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ahh, no don't think we are kidding. Let me check........nope. Not kidding. You may not like them but saying they are an insult to all musicians is pretty far fetched. The records that they have sold also says that is is pretty far fetched. It terms of recent half time shows, this was not bad. Maybe wasn't the best but no complaints either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
woody
Champion

Why couldn't they make the stage so that both sides of the field could see.All i saw was the back of the stage.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

woody wrote:Why couldn't they make the stage so that both sides of the field could see.All i saw was the back of the stage.
Pretty tough to do when you're surrounded by viewers on all sides. Someone's gonna be looking at the back of it. IMHO, this was a production aimed at the TV audience, not those in attendance. How was the view on the video board?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

woody wrote:Why couldn't they make the stage so that both sides of the field could see.All i saw was the back of the stage.
Isn't that what the screen is for ? :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I enjoyed the show, better than the Black Eyed Peas. The only negative is the smoke from the pyrotechnics that hung around for the 2nd half. Couldn't they open the roof a bit to let the smoke out ? Wonder how the people in Level 4 enjoyed watching the game in the fog.
bc49
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Half time shows have gotten better over the years, but I still think the CFL sells themselves short on what they think they can get.
The CFL can get anyone they want to play halftime. They could get U2 to play if they throw enough money at them. But even with a huge-for-this-country TV viewership of 6 - 7 million is it economically viable to drop millions on 3 songs?
It was clear the deal with Nickelback and their record company involved promotional angles for the band beyond the 15 min 3 song (or was it just one long song?) halftime appearance thus the costs to hire the band were reduced. Perhaps substantially.

I hear what James is saying - the bigger the halftime act the bigger the credibility for the game.
Thankfully the Grey Cup doesn't need to rely on a big music act to sell out the championship game - the game itself does that now and yes even in Toronto!
Does having an internationally renowned act bring in higher TV numbers?
Of course having the suggested AC/DC playing at halftime would bring in viewers who might not normally watch but it is impossible to gauge just how many.
For marketing and brand purposes the optics of having AC/DC playing at halftime would be the greatest benefit - especially in the 'we're all world' market of southern Ontario.

It's virtually impossible to conduct a cost-benefit analysis for a halftime show when so many of the benefits are impossible to measure.
But if the league is thinking of opening the vault and bringing in an A list halftime act then I can't think of no better time than next years 100th GC in Toronto.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I enjoyed the show, better than the Black Eyed Peas. The only negative is the smoke from the pyrotechnics that hung around for the 2nd half. Couldn't they open the roof a bit to let the smoke out ? Wonder how the people in Level 4 enjoyed watching the game in the fog.
I've noticed that smoke lingers any time pyrotechnics are used in the stadium. The smoke from the halftime show never fully cleared.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I really enjoyed the show. I used to be a big Nickelback fan during their first two albums which I still listen to. After that they started writing cheesy lyrics and basically mailing it in so they stopped being fun to listen to. But that show was excellent. Very good performance and the pryo added to it a lot. As much as I like BTO they just didn't have the energy that Nickelback did. It may not have been for everybody but I'm glad they went with them and not some abomination like the Black Eyed Peas or Sloan which would have been infinitely worse. Nickelback delivered last night as far as I'm concerned. :rockin:
Big Time
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:I enjoyed the show, better than the Black Eyed Peas. The only negative is the smoke from the pyrotechnics that hung around for the 2nd half. Couldn't they open the roof a bit to let the smoke out ? Wonder how the people in Level 4 enjoyed watching the game in the fog.
LOL. I was in the upper bowl and thought "If only there was some way they could put a hole in the roof to suck the smoke out of it..."

Nickleback provides serviceable rock that is just right for stadiums and half time shows. The band played tight, they didn't go on too long, the pyro was fun and overall I'm glad they went with a big name band rather than some rapper or something ghastly like the Black Eyed Peas.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The entire show.
[youtube][/youtube]
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Didnt notice any MADD signs. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing