As good as 2006?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

I realize the regular season was not as dominant overall as the 2006 team but is this team even better when all is said and done with the dominant 2nd half of the season? :rockin:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If the question you're asking is, is the collective talent as good as 06? Upon reflection, I'd say no.

If you're using intangibles in your question, then absolutely.
Rodu
Champion

maybe if we could get a roster comparison?
Ravi
Legend

The 2011 Grey Cup was a much better game than the '06 one. I think that this Lions team is better for what that is worth.
Nard1
prospect

I was thinking about this too and I think if they were to go head to head it would be a pretty close result.
What makes this team special and standout beyond 06 is what they overcame this season and how they did it.
This teams mindset was just purrfect during the run they had to the championship and if 06 ran into this team during
this run they might have a hard time stopping the beast just like everyone else did.
BC LIONS GREY CUP CHAMPIONS ~ 1964. 1985 . 1994. 2000 . 2006 . 2011 ~
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Ravi wrote:The 2011 Grey Cup was a much better game than the '06 one. I think that this Lions team is better for what that is worth.
I think the venues contributed to both games. Def nicer to play @bcplace
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Nard1 wrote:I was thinking about this too and I think if they were to go head to head it would be a pretty close result.
What makes this team special and standout beyond 06 is what they overcame this season and how they did it.
This teams mindset was just purrfect during the run they had to the championship and if 06 ran into this team during
this run they might have a hard time stopping the beast just like everyone else did.
What they overcame and how the coaching changed so dramatically was what makes this GC win for BC remarkable.

I have rarely seen losing coaches mid year change from what they have always done - and not much really ever changes as a result.

It is hard to compare the two teams but right now on offense Lulay has had more time to find targets than any QB in recent Lion history.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ravi
Legend

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
Ravi wrote:The 2011 Grey Cup was a much better game than the '06 one. I think that this Lions team is better for what that is worth.
I think the venues contributed to both games. Def nicer to play @bcplace
That probably helped but there were 0 plays of over 25 yards in that '06 Grey Cup. The '06 season as a whole was one of the more uninspiring seasons in recent CFL history. Anyway, last night, there were many more big plays and there could have even been a few more if some other throws had been on the mark.
obs
Champion

My choice is the 2006 team. Their defence was incredible.
A brief stat comparison:
2006: 13-5, Points for: 555, Points against: 355
2011: 11-7, Points for: 511, Points against: 385

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I have the impression that the 2006 team were considered heads and shoulders above the rest, except for MTL.

BTW, I consider 2004's offence to be the better than both :). 584 Points for.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

obs wrote:My choice is the 2006 team. Their defence was incredible.
A brief stat comparison:
2006: 13-5, Points for: 555, Points against: 355
2011: 11-7, Points for: 511, Points against: 385

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I have the impression that the 2006 team were considered heads and shoulders above the rest, except for MTL.
True, we were 13-5 while nobody else had more than 10 wins. The 2006 team also nearly swept the player awards.

But the 2011 team had more All-Stars (nine versus seven).

Six of one...
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big Time
Champion

Overall, the 2006 team was so dominant that it was more about meeting the expectation of winning than actually achieving it. They rolled through the entire season and playoffs and were simply too deep to not win. So overall, yes 2006 was a better team.

2011 however was in some ways a more likeable team. They had a more compelling story and had to overcome signficant adversity to achieve what they achieved. People will remember Lulay and what he did for this team.

And like someone else posted, I think the 2004 team and maybe even teh 2007 team may have been the best of the bunches but since they didn't get the hardware, they just don't compare.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

2006 was a year they had to win. It was expected and a given. After pissing away two opportunities in 2004 and 2005, they had to win. 2011 is a season that will likely never be topped again. Absolutely unbelievable. To go from 0-5 and 1-6, have a 8 game winning streak, win 12 of 13 and be considered overwhelming favorites by Grey Cup time?

2011 for me.