what's your Lions community spirit like?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bc49
Hall of Famer

Out where I live in the sticks of the upper fraser valley I am certain I'm the only one sporting a Lions car flag.
And I have seen no Go Lions Go cheers on commercial signs, no pubs inviting patrons to watch the game.
In fact I have observed nothing repping the BC Lions in Chilliwack.
Except for Rick's kick ass store in the Chilliwack Mall of course.

I hope this is just a weird valley thing and the cities closer to Vancouver are showing some evidence the home team is in the big game.

side note: on the way back from the WDF I did see a transit bus in burnaby with GO LIONS GO on its destination board. :rockin:
LFITQ
Team Captain

Nothing here in PG. Although there are a few ppl coming down for the game. But I do get asked lots of questions about the Lions. And let's not forget that Solicitor General/Auditor General Shirley Bond is from Prince George and is a HUGE BC Lions fan so she mentions it lots.

I'm not sporting a car flag as I lost all of mine on the last trip to Vancouver - gotta get some new ones. But I do have stickers and BC Lions fuzzy dice (purchased from that kick ass store in Chillliwack you were talking about) on the van.

However, I will interviewed on Thursday morning by the local TV station as we pack to head out to the big game. Apparently the news reporter used to be a Calgary Outrider.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
MikeAK
All Star

Seems to be quiet here in Nanaimo as well. People know the Grey Cup is in Vancouver and that BC made it to the big game but there is nowhere near the kind of hype surrounding it compared to the NHL. I've seen zero car flags and only the odd BC Lion's license plate. I know people around here support the Lions because I see the ferries on game days but it's funny how people don't really show their colors like they do with hockey.
Bosco
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote: I know people around here support the Lions because I see the ferries on game days but it's funny how people don't really show their colors like they do with hockey.
The same can be said about Lions interest in the Office Space world. At my office, questions such as "Is the Grey Cup this weekend?" is (sad to say) the norm. During the Canucks playoff run, Casual Friday's were dominated with Canucks jerseys, and in the Finals, employees were encouraged to wear their garb on every game day.

Interest is slowly starting to build in my workplace, but it's certainly nowhere near the level experienced with the Canucks from April to mid June.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
MikeAK wrote: I know people around here support the Lions because I see the ferries on game days but it's funny how people don't really show their colors like they do with hockey.
The same can be said about Lions interest in the Office Space world. At my office, questions such as "Is the Grey Cup this weekend?" is (sad to say) the norm. During the Canucks playoff run, Casual Friday's were dominated with Canucks jerseys, and in the Finals, employees were encouraged to wear their garb on every game day.

Interest is slowly starting to build in my workplace, but it's certainly nowhere near the level experienced with the Canucks from April to mid June.
We've discussed this before on here. Part of the problem, as it were, is that the pace of CFL post-season action is simply much too brief — and sparse — to create much of a buzz among people who don't follow the league closely. From beginning to end for the Lions this year, two games over an eight day span. If someone happened to leave town anytime between the WSF and WF for two weeks' vacation, they would have missed the whole thing. But by the time you get to the late stages of the Stanley Cup final after nearly two months of games played about every second or third day at most — as opposed to a week apart — with plenty of game action to fill today's rapidly paced news cycle, it's almost impossible to avoid and much easier for casual fans to embrace the excitement of the playoff run.

In other words, it's as much a logistical issue as anything else.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

people starting to think of get ready for christmas

gloomier time of yr for many

easier to be enthusiastic pre summer than pre winter

Days are shorter and darker.

Student heavy into school as oppose to just about summer break.

NHL playoffs have less other sport to compete with at the time. No NFL, CFL just starting, etc
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Seen a couple of pubs advertising Grey Cup parties with Go Lions Go on their signs. Local paper has a six page Grey Cup section that even lists all the activities downtown. The biggest (and probably only) drag about football is the long lag between games. Compare that to the NHL playoffs with games every other night which is just like pouring gasoline onto the fire.

Have to love today's Province. Seven pages of Grey Cup coverage in the sports section, including the back page after a Canucks game no less. Also a 28 page Grey Cup section as well!!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:We've discussed this before on here. Part of the problem, as it were, is that the pace of CFL post-season action is simply much too brief — and sparse — to create much of a buzz among people who don't follow the league closely. From beginning to end for the Lions this year, two games over an eight day span. If someone happened to leave town anytime between the WSF and WF for two weeks' vacation, they would have missed the whole thing. But by the time you get to the late stages of the Stanley Cup final after nearly two months of games played about every second or third day at most — as opposed to a week apart — with plenty of game action to fill today's rapidly paced news cycle, it's almost impossible to avoid and much easier for casual fans to embrace the excitement of the playoff run.

In other words, it's as much a logistical issue as anything else.
Another good point you also mentioned once before, sj-roc, is that unlike ice hockey, American football is much more of an insular sport lacking Olympic-style and other international tournaments.

And when it comes to international media, obviously USA can provide much more media than Canada internationally with shows like CNN. The NHL teams were based out of both Canada and America, and the American media provides information is spread to the world.

I wonder how much BC Lions jerseys can be found outside of Canada. Greater Vancouver has a very large ethnic SE Asian community, and in the Canucks run there was such talk in South Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong. I suppose in those countries ice skating is still somewhat popular. Whereas Japan only as a small American football league, X-League, whereas none in South Korea, China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.

Hey Toppy Vann, is there any talk at all about the Grey Cup in Hong Kong?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Buonosjanet69
Starter

I'm in Ontario but friends and co workers have commented on the Grey Cup, so many are at least aware of it out here.

I'll go check the sports stores for Jerseys hehe
herb
prospect

Was in Spruce Capital Feeds in Prince George (local feed tack store) and they have a stuffed horse dressed in a game worn jersey,old stle helmet,some signs and a retro game worn helmet.
Pretty cool for a feed store,when the pubs are not even doing anything! Lol!!
MikeAK
All Star

It's really too bad because I think if people actually took the time to investigate the game they might actually like what they find. It helps to have been brought up on the game though, my Dad was a huge Lion's and Canuck's fan and while I was growing up it was something that was just apart of our household. I don't think I could forget about it even if I wanted to. It's too much apart of who I am.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

My wife works at Coast Capital Savings. This e-mail was sent to all employess at their branches and head offices this afternoon:
Good afternoon

As anyone who’s turned on a TV this week will know, BC Place will be the battleground for the 99th Grey Cup championship this weekend in Vancouver. And, our very own BC Lions will be looking to give the Winnipeg Blue Bombers a thrashing to keep the cup here in BC, where it belongs!

To support our BC Lions, I’m encouraging all staff to wear their Lions gear to work tomorrow and Saturday. Yup, that applies to everyone - in branches and back office. Don’t have an official jersey, touque or t shirt? No problem… anything in orange and black will do. And, if you want to really prove you’re a fan, go ahead and sing the Lions anthem:

Go on and roar you Lions, roar!
‘Cause that’s what a Lions roar is for.
From the mountains to the sea
You’re the pride of all BC (ra! ra!)
So buckle down and play the game
You’ll lead us on to football fame
We love the L - I - O – N - S
Go on and roar you Lions,
Roar you Lions
Roar you Lions, roar!

Let’s show our Lions pride – go Lions go!
Very cool!!!!

Wonder if one the Lions main sponsors (Scotia Bank) is doing the same thing??
LFITQ
Team Captain

herb wrote:Was in Spruce Capital Feeds in Prince George (local feed tack store) and they have a stuffed horse dressed in a game worn jersey,old stle helmet,some signs and a retro game worn helmet.
Pretty cool for a feed store,when the pubs are not even doing anything! Lol!!
Damn that's near where I work. Had i known sooner I would have gone and taken a peek. Good on them! :rockin:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??