Depth Chart vs the Eskimos - 20111120 WDF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wow, just read on Lowell's blog (the fifth quarter) Paris will play tomorrow. He agreed to take a paycut and really wants to play in spite of his physical condition. Sounds like an amicable arrangement and I look for him to be chomping at the bit to have a great year. Hope he does!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:Wow, just read on Lowell's blog (the fifth quarter) Paris will play tomorrow. He agreed to take a paycut and really wants to play in spite of his physical condition. Sounds like an amicable arrangement and I look for him to be chomping at the bit to have a great year. Hope he does!
That's a very strange development. We ran into Paris on Saturday in Kamloops. He hadn't been attending practices but showed up at the dorm just as we arrived after morning practice. For what it's worth, he said he was fine. He wasn't offering a medical diagnosis, but I sure hope he was right.
Rammer
Team Captain

One second he is continuing to nurse a wonky knee back to life. Tonight, surprisingly, he will be in uniform for the B.C. Lions, but a little poorer.

The nine-year receiver was forced by the CFL club to accept a new contract Tuesday or be given his release as a result of the knee problem that has hampered his productivity the last two seasons.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/head+ ... z1PyO8UAFi
I don't think that a player the stature of Paris Jackson should be treated in this manner towards the end of his career as he laid it all on the line for the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Paris is one of my all time favourite Lions. But I have to agree with Wally on this one. The productivity wasn't there the the last two years.

It remains to be seen if PJ can regain his effectiveness.

I'm glad Paris signed on. If he and Wally had not come to an agreement, he would have been given his release. I would hate to have seen that.
“I was shocked when I found out the circumstances after I was cleared to play. It was a gut-check kind of deal, and I could have asked for a release,” Jackson said.

“But I believe in this team. I want to prove people wrong and [dis]prove the doubters. I can take a hometown discount, make it to the Grey Cup, make the money back and then say [to Buono], ‘I had a 1,000-yard season and we won the Grey Cup; what do you want to do’?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

242??
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Paris is one of my all time favourite Lions. But I have to agree with Wally on this one. The productivity wasn't there the the last two years.

It remains to be seen if PJ can regain his effectiveness.

I'm glad Paris signed on. If he and Wally had not come to an agreement, he would have been given his release. I would hate to have seen that.
Hardball business on Wally's part, can't say I'm wild about such a move but can understand why he did so.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The article about PJ also says Shawn Gore will not play tonight. Does anyone know why. Is Gore injured?
joe kapp22
Legend

DanoT wrote:The article about PJ also says Shawn Gore will not play tonight. Does anyone know why. Is Gore injured?
I' guess because Gore's role is set, but Moore, PJ, Peterson, Johnson etc are all fighting for jobs so they need the field time?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:The article about PJ also says Shawn Gore will not play tonight. Does anyone know why. Is Gore injured?
Yes, I believe he is nicked.

All I can say about these latest Paris Jackson developments is wow! Reading between the lines.... sounds like Peterson's signing was insurance for Jackson and since it has worked out (so far), Wally's next move was to outright release high priced damaged goods. Instead, Jackson will now play on a what has become a chronic knee problem, not be the receiver he was two years ago and subsequently be paid for what he can still offer.

He played in Geroy, Clermont and even Thelwell's shadow for years then was pegged as one of the go-to-guys when Clermont was released and had the 1,000 yard plus seasons in 2008 and 2009. At 30, I really thought he still had a Most Outstanding Canadian season still in him. I guess not.
Tighthead
Legend

Is Paris really healthy? Wally has now admitted that it was "unfair" to start Jackson at QB last year when he was obvioulsy injured. Most of us needed about 5 minutes to realize that.

Not a big fan of treating a vet like this at this time of the season.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
Really? I think it's great treatment. To continue his employment when he would have rather have cut him due to his knee I think is good treatment. Shows good loyalty to a good Canadian kid.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
Really? I think it's great treatment. To continue his employment when he would have rather have cut him due to his knee I think is good treatment. Shows good loyalty to a good Canadian kid.
Contrary, Paris was/is a loyal warrior for the Wally Lions and a team Captain. What does his treatment suggest to younger Lions like Jamal Lee who have to consider their longevity within the sport? Take Clermont for an example as well, I would be considering another team heading into my prime years.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

Well now we have a ton of Canadian depth at receiver/slotback. I don't see any reason why our starting 5 receivers couldn't be Superman, TO's cousin, Paris Jackson, Shawn Gore, and Kamau Peterson. We have Akeem Foster as our primary backup, and Marco Ianuzzi to back up as well. Andrew Harris could be an emergency depth backup if need be as well in case we get a glutton of injuries.

We have good Canadian depth to allow us to start an extra Canadian, meaning we can start an import elsewhere (like Hyland at safety). USE IT!!! :bang:
Roar you Lions roar!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

PJ's treatment seems hard but the blind loyalty I thought existed as a young fan isn't the reality on either side (management or players). Jackson certainly seems motivated to play well. If he has a lights out year, he deserves a similar adjustment next season, IMO. And he's certainly seems more loyal to the BC Lions than most.
ziggy
Legend

Seems harsh, but every player even the veterans know going into camp that their job is up for grabs. Unlike the rest of the world where seniority counts, in pro sports, it just means a younger guty is getting that much closer to taking your job. I get frustrated when people start whining about players contracts, they have such a limited time and have to make money when they can. Most of us would rather have the security of knowing people aren`t constantly auditioning for our job and the knowledge that we can probably continue to earn good money over the duration of our careers, often more, the longer we stick with a job.Calling pro sports a career is really kind of a stretch, for most it just a few good years!