Depth Chart vs the Eskimos - 20111120 WDF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Updated roster, depth chart, and injury lists. As noted on the pregame notes thread, David Hyland is missing from the lists. I expect it is a clerical omission. He was at practice yesterday. I am guessing he will end up on the IR.
A clerical error forced Paul McCallum to sit out a game last year.
Tough when the Coaching staff can't remember to insert the Lions MOP, but that pretty much summed up the season at that point.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Updated roster, depth chart, and injury lists. As noted on the pregame notes thread, David Hyland is missing from the lists. I expect it is a clerical omission. He was at practice yesterday. I am guessing he will end up on the IR.
A clerical error forced Paul McCallum to sit out a game last year.
Clerical error corrected, David Hyland back on the 46 man roster ... but the website roster is not up to date. Hodgson, Bassi, et cetera.

Still showing the defence in a 3 - 4, even though it seems we went back to a 4 - 3 in the second half against the Alouettes. Once again the 3 - 4 is going to require effective, constant blitzing by the linebackers IMO.

Stanley Franks seems to have muscled up to all of 180 pounds this year. He really looks a lot stronger. Looking forward to seeing him play. I think he has lots of ability, although offences certainly went after him last year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... witch.aspx
Bait and switch

By L. Ullrich Tue, Jul 12 2011

They're 0-2 and had two experienced receivers operating as paid cheerleaders for the most part so far this season. Of course the Lions did the expected at practice Tuesday.

Kamau Peterson was with the starting receiving unit, and Paris Jackson backed him up. It'll be veteran receivers by committee when they play the Edmonton Eskimos Saturday.

Nobody quibbled at training camp with the idea of injecting some new faces in the receiving corps, but when Wally Buono had no use for either Peterson or Jackson it raised the question why he signed one and had the other take a pay cut if they weren't going to be dressed.

There's a debate brewing here somewhere about what the changes do for Steven Black, who lost his job once out of training camp only to be dropped from the lineup a second time. It certainly can't do much for Black's mindset. But something had to change.

But nobody, however, saw all the changes the Lions made on defence Tuesday.

David Hyland took over from Stanley Franks as expected, but after watching how opponents attacted their secondary, Buono moved Davis Sanchez to safety and began grooming Travis Williams, a 25-year-old corner who joined the team late last year and has been at least steady in practice ever since.

It didn't mesh with Buono's previously stated belief of never making any more changes than necessary. But they're 0-2; perhaps this should be the expected.
Kamau Peterson backed up by Paris Jackson, Steven Black out

David Hyland in for Stanley Franks

Davis Sanchez in at safety

Travis Williams in at cornerback
Blitz
Team Captain

Doesn't make sense to me. Not sure why we are not inserting Hyland at safety, leaving Sanchez at corner, and using Riddick in Franks place. It would result in less changes, more experience, and Hyland played great at his stint at safety last season and Reddick has not looked out of place when he has played.

With Nick Moore injured, it makes sense to insert Peterson and Jackson at receiver. It gives us another import spot while also getting some experience into our receiver lineup.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Doesn't make sense to me. Not sure why we are not inserting Hyland at safety, leaving Sanchez at corner, and using Riddick in Franks place. It would result in less changes, more experience, and Hyland played great at his stint at safety last season and Reddick has not looked out of place when he has played.

With Nick Moore injured, it makes sense to insert Peterson and Jackson at receiver. It gives us another import spot while also getting some experience into our receiver lineup.
Isn't Reddick injured?

Edit: He is on the IL currently.
joe kapp22
Legend

Blitz wrote:Doesn't make sense to me. Not sure why we are not inserting Hyland at safety, leaving Sanchez at corner, and using Riddick in Franks place. It would result in less changes, more experience, and Hyland played great at his stint at safety last season and Reddick has not looked out of place when he has played.

Davis Sanchez has looked bad at Cb is the main reason, and Jackson was seen running with a limp last week I suspect they want to leave him active so he can train and get back up to speed, also think they liked the explosiveness of the young Wr's and do not wish to totally write them off.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Davis Sanchez was the surest tackler in the secondary until he was injured last year. This year he has missed a lot of tackles and seems to have lost a step. David Hyland has also missed tackles but he has spent more time at wide-side halfback than anyone since training camp so it's logical to insert him there. Travis Williams looked solid in camp at Dante Marsh's boundary corner but was unspectacular in preseason at that spot. Field corner should be easier. He should bring more speed to the position. Hopefully he'll bring better tackling ability.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Davis Sanchez was the surest tackler in the secondary until he was injured last year. This year he has missed a lot of tackles and seems to have lost a step. David Hyland has also missed tackles but he has spent more time at wide-side halfback than anyone since training camp so it's logical to insert him there. Travis Williams looked solid in camp at Dante Marsh's boundary corner but was unspectacular in preseason at that spot. Field corner should be easier. He should bring more speed to the position. Hopefully he'll bring better tackling ability.
Could this be situational given their look at the Esks tape and what Ricky Ray has been doing to the corners? Sanchez has been lit up a few times and maybe they feel he can see the game better and not be beat if he is at Safety as it puts the game in front of him entirely so he is mostly coming to the play and not having to get back where he is having some issues. Not sure of the logic here but they no doubt are looking to strengthen for this game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't help but wonder whether Sanchez's injured arm is affecting his tackling.
Rodu
Champion

I don't think we have the linebackers needed to play an effective 3-4, nor the DC to do it. What I think we're really lacking is OLBs with some size, and line them up on the LoS. I've seen us use the 3-4 and have all four LBs back 3-5 yards from the LoS. That will make it easy to run, especially wide on us. The whole point of a 3-4 is to blitz and confuse. Where is the blitzer or blitzer going to come from? We shouldn't be dropping all four and rushing just 3, that just won't get it done
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gary Kingston has some interesting comments from Wally in the Vancouver Sun about the need to overhaul the secondary this week to face Ricky Ray, especially about Travis Williams taking Davis Sanchez's spot on the corner:
The grizzled Sanchez, who turns 37 on Aug. 7, has been attacked in man coverage in the Lions’ two losses. And with Eskimos’ rejuvenated quarterback Ricky Ray completing 75 per cent of his passes in Edmonton’s two wins with four touchdowns and no interceptions, Buono was leery about leaving the veteran corner out on the island against the high-powered Esks passing game.

“We have to try to be as good as we can be this week,” said Buono of inserting Williams. “Maybe the solution is you put in another young corner, who runs well, who covers well. All pre-season, he was one of our best corners.”
Lions' Travis Williams plays confidence game

Expected to be a strength, the secondary has been B.C.'s biggest weakness in the first two games, as evidenced by giving up a league-leading number of big plays and a second-worst average of 32 points a game. It was clear that Sanchez couldn't remain on the corner. I hope the switch works for him and the secondary.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well it seems Williams has one of the many attributes of a good corner. A cocky attitude. Hope he also has a short memory for the odd big play he'll give up. Sounds like a good adjustment, IMO.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jesse Newman gets the start at left guard in place of Jon Hameister-Ries, who was injured in practice.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Left tackle Ben Archibald will be playing next to left guard Jesse Newman, with whom he won a championship ring three years ago in Calgary, because of an arm injury to Jon Hameister-Ries, who normally starts at left guard and who arguably has been the Lions most consistent hog.

“Unless Hamster makes a speedy recovery, I’ll be playing,” Newman said Thursday, following the Lions final practice before Saturday’s game at Commonwealth Stadium. “It always sucks getting a start from one of your friends. That’s not a way I like to get a start. I can’t be too excited about it, because Hamster has been playing the best of anyone on the O-line. But I’m going to take advantage of it to the fullest.”
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Jesse Newman gets the start at left guard in place of Jon Hameister-Ries, who was injured in practice.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Left tackle Ben Archibald will be playing next to left guard Jesse Newman, with whom he won a championship ring three years ago in Calgary, because of an arm injury to Jon Hameister-Ries, who normally starts at left guard and who arguably has been the Lions most consistent hog.

“Unless Hamster makes a speedy recovery, I’ll be playing,” Newman said Thursday, following the Lions final practice before Saturday’s game at Commonwealth Stadium. “It always sucks getting a start from one of your friends. That’s not a way I like to get a start. I can’t be too excited about it, because Hamster has been playing the best of anyone on the O-line. But I’m going to take advantage of it to the fullest.”
Sounds like a lot of respect from Newman's comments, but more importantly desire, which is what has been questioned of him since his departure from Calgary.