Get rid of Paris Jackson?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

Report: Paris Jackson unsure of future with Lions
From TSN...http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=341906
Paris Jackson knows what one sub-par season - for himself and the team - can do for his future in the CFL.

According to the Vancouver Sun, Jackson is not sure whether he will be back with the Lions next season after the team struggled to an 8-10 regular season and he fell far short of the 1,00-yard mark in receiving for the first team in three seasons.

"I'm going into my option year. Hopefully, they invite me back. But you never know what direction they're going," Jackson told the Sun. "I want to be here. When you have an 8-10 season, things can change. You've seen in the past how many veterans have been shipped out. You definitely have to be on your Ps and Qs right now.

"Look what happened to (former Lions receiver Jason) Clermont. It's a cutthroat business, they can bring somebody new in and cut you just like that. And there are a lot of other Canadian receivers on the team."

Clermont was released following the 2008 season in which his receiving yards dropped by 500 and his touchdown total fell from seven to three. This season, Jackson's yardage dropped almost 300 yards and he managed just one touchdown compared to eight in 2009.

But while there are number of Canadian receivers on the current Lions roster, few have the experience to match that of the 31-year old Vancouver native.

O'Neil Wilson is a seven-year man who caught 30 passes this season for 256 yards and no touchdowns. Jamall Lee caught eight passes before suffering a season-ending knee injury and Andrew Harris didn't catch a single pass all season.

Shawn Gore was drafted 10th overall last spring before signing with the NFL's Green Bay Packers. He was released in September and rejoined the Lions, but did not haul in a pass in eight games. Still, Jackson thinks Gore has a bright future in the game because of his attitude when he returned from the NFL.

"He told us, 'Hey guys, I didn't practice well enough. I wasn't focused, I let our offence down,'" Jackson told the Sun about Gore. "That gave me a lot of respect for the guy. He might not be starting, but he put it on himself to be better the next day."
I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him. Most receivers' careers hinge on the performance of the QB's, and their performances weren't stellar this year. Sometimes I think Wally is a little too quick to throw the trap door.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Spud387
Champion

I highly doubt we drop Paris. He has had one bad year yet still, when the ball was thrown to him, he made catches our other receivers only dream of making. Let him play out his option year and re-evaluate.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Paris Jackson's knee gave him trouble all season and limited his productivity but he has a lot of football left. HIs 758 yards this year stand as a testament to his determination. He's being generous when he says "there are a lot of other Canadian receivers on the team." O'Neil Wilson is the only other proven non-import, and some fans on this board want him released. Andrew Harris, Shawn Gore and Akeen Foster all practised and got game reps with the Lions at receiver this year but none of them has ever caught a CFL pass. That ranks them behind QB Travis Lulay and practice roster tackle Damane Duckett in the team's 2010 receiving stats.
David
Team Captain

I have faith that Paris can have a bounce-back season. That one acrobatic catch he made just in bounds in the West Semi-Final, you'll be hard pressed to see another receiver duplicate, non-import or otherwise. :thup:

I want him back.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

Is everybody considering leaving this year???

If they all desert, we're in trouble.
jagger13
prospect

of more concern is Wally on the team 1040 today endorsing the job that JC did as his offense was rolling with over 400 yards last 2 games.

That did not sound like a man contemplating a change. Wally can axe players with relative ease but is loyal to a fault to coaches that the game may have passed by.

We can only hope its a smokescreen and he goes after DD after the season ends. Just can't imagine another year with the same lame offensive plan...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

jagger13 wrote:of more concern is Wally on the team 1040 today endorsing the job that JC did as his offense was rolling with over 400 yards last 2 games.

That did not sound like a man contemplating a change. Wally can axe players with relative ease but is loyal to a fault to coaches that the game may have passed by.

We can only hope its a smokescreen and he goes after DD after the season ends. Just can't imagine another year with the same lame offensive plan...
B.C.'s offence got better as the season went on and Lulay became established as the starter. There's a lot of reason to be optimistic about 2011, based on the way 2010 finished. I'll break down the numbers in more detail in another thread.
joe kapp22
Legend

jagger13 wrote:of more concern is Wally on the team 1040 today endorsing the job that JC did as his offense was rolling with over 400 yards last 2 games.

Wally somewhat addressed Paris Jackson as well, he said he was not healthy for most of the season and it that was reflected out on the field.

Thinking back to the start of 2010, neither Jackson being healthy to start the season really put us in a bind, heading into 2011 with both healthy would be a big plus as there would be no learning curve, and if Wally B is willing to take a shot in Derrick Armstrong why not on PJackson?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mind see P Jackson traded to Winnipeg. He could start there and it might allow the Lions to free up a bit of cap space and let the younger guys get more playing time.

Not sure what the Lions would want or the Bombers would be willing to give up, but I could them being interested. At the same time I could see the Lions getting younger at his position with some of the other talent they have.
zark
Champion

I would like to see
Blue In BC wrote:I wouldn't mind see P Jackson traded to Winnipeg. He could start there and it might allow the Lions to free up a bit of cap space and let the younger guys get more playing time.

Not sure what the Lions would want or the Bombers would be willing to give up, but I could them being interested. At the same time I could see the Lions getting younger at his position with some of the other talent they have.
You could say the same thing about Geroy. Whatever happened to our team. Our team depends solely on the whims of Wally. I wasn't happy when Thellell left,Barrin left (i have 2 lunchboxes with him on it). I don't trust Wally's judgment anymore.

Keep Paris.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like BC Lions that grew up in the Lower Mainland. I think there are already too many of these types of players playing on other CFL teams. I want players that deserve to be here but if they happen to be born here, bonus. I think thats why Riderfans are thrilled to have Clermont dressing in the home colours.

I'm glad PJ can just admit he had a bad season. Some wouldn't be able to do that. I personally hope he's back.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:I wouldn't mind see P Jackson traded to Winnipeg. He could start there and it might allow the Lions to free up a bit of cap space and let the younger guys get more playing time.

I would hate to see a repeat of Jason Clermont's scenario play out in Winnipeg. Can you imagine having a talent waste away like the Riders did with JC and his only TD be the one that ousts the Lions from the playoffs? I would think that the Lions need the NI depth, whether it be Gore starting and PJ giving Anderson type service, or leaving Gore to take the starters spot from a healthy PJack.
Entertainment value = an all time low
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

zark wrote: I don't trust Wally's judgment anymore.
We agree

signed

Solomon Elimimian
Jovan Olafoyie
Steven Black
Stanley Franks
Travis Lulay
Jerome Messam
Yonus Davis
Andrew Harris
Anthony Reddick
David Hyland
Adam Leonard
Jesse Newman
Joe McGrath
Khalif Mitchell
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

I would hate to see a repeat of Jason Clermont's scenario play out in Winnipeg. Can you imagine having a talent waste away like the Riders did with JC and his only TD be the one that ousts the Lions from the playoffs? I would think that the Lions need the NI depth, whether it be Gore starting and PJ giving Anderson type service, or leaving Gore to take the starters spot from a healthy PJack.

I repeat. P Jackson would be the best NI receiver on the Bombers if he ended up there. He'd be starting without a doubt. That is a different situation than with Clermont going to a team deep in NI talent and receivers in particular.

There would be nothing wrong with the Lions wanting to keep him in BC. It's only a question of SMS , wanting the next generation to get more playing time and whether a trade to any team is beneficial in some way.

I doubt P Jackson is over paid for his contribution. I have no idea how close the LIons will be to this year's SMS or what adjustments will be required going into 2011.

This is a question every team will face during the off season as they build towards the next season. Some players will retire, others will be forced to retire, others will move on for various reasons.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I read the article as PJ wondering if the Lions will want him back not that he is looking secondly.

Yes, he not only had leg issues which is not good in Wally's eyes but played with a broken jaw inflicted by his team mate in the locker room. It had to hurt his play.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy