Breaking News... Printers cut!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionheart
Hall of Famer

To add to that JohnHenry, higher ratings are not translating to higher team revenues. tsn presented with higher ratings over the last few years have simply not shared higher add revenue with the teams. Does the league not feel they have any bargaining chips at all?
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:To add to that JohnHenry, higher ratings are not translating to higher team revenues. tsn presented with higher ratings over the last few years have simply not shared higher add revenue with the teams. Does the league not feel they have any bargaining chips at all?
You only have a bargaining chip if another network is going to do you well and up the anti. I seem to remember the league doing this in the past without much success. :dizzy: Currently the specialized sports networks would offer up better potential than back in the day, but TSN did take its lumps in the early days, the CFL has a good partner in getting their programming out to the consumer as well.

The next CFL TV contract will be the largest one that I can see the CFL land, given the TV viewing audience numbers, and I doubt that a CFL teams office staff will be covered by it, let alone the players ala the NFL. It is the CFL and we have to learn to love the intricacies that make it so, otherwise it will turn NFL'ish and that wouldn't be for the better.
Entertainment value = an all time low
truth-hurts
Rookie

Blitz wrote:I think we've hashed out the Printers release a lot now. By last thoughts on this topic, for the immediate future are:

1. Printers behavior was not acceptable. Nor was Wilson's who also engaged actively in the argument. Printers, as a quarterback has a higher standard to uphold. Both are also friends of each other, which may have made both feel more comfortable arguing but the perception of it was poor, to say the least.

2. What happened in the players dressing room should have stayed there. The only way it could have gotten out of there is if a Leo brought the issue forward in some way that the coaching staff learned about it. That breaks the Code also. There have only been two thoughts expressed publically regarding the dressing room 'incident'. The first was from Angus Reid, who basically believed that was not how a leader should behave and the second by Jarious Jackson, a captain also, who said that what Printers said in the players dressing room needed to be said.

3. There is a definite inconsistency of practice regarding how these types of incident have been dealt with on our Leos. Getting away from on-field lack of discipline and only looking at sideline or off-field incidents, there have been other sideline incidents which have not been dealt with by Wally in the same manner as Printers was..and they include Simon getting in Buck's face in the past, Simon getting in Wally's face in the past, and the dressing room fight between Messam and Jackson, Wally also 'earholes' his assistant coaches on the sidelines, which does not set an example.

Printers is basically gone because he was no longer in our Leos plans for the future (rightly or wrongly) and he was not going to be a happy camper as a backup after being signed as our starter for this year. The so called 'dressing room' incident only provided an opportunity for some old team ;politics' to reemerge with a couple of old vets from Printers first stint here and the situation also provided Wally with an opportunity to send a message. I reallly don't believe the Winnipeg incident is the key issue..the key issue was whether Printers should have been our starting quarterback for the future or not. However Printers did not fit Chap's offensive scheme and Chap now has the quarterback he wants. Travis Lulay has handled the whole thing with class. Its not really about Lulay.

However, my major concern with our Leos for a long time has been our Chap led offence, the injuries and punishment our quarterbacks have taken trying to execute this offence. the declining personal performance of quarterbacks in this offence the longer they play for Chap, and the problems inheritant in our offensive scheme and play calling.

While I have always hoped for a new offensive coordintor who could bring fresh eyes to a stale, tired scheme, I have finally reached the stage where I believe it would be best for Wally to resign as HC at the conclusion of this season. I have never thought that way before today. While he was not an x and o's knowledgeable coach nor a good game day coach, Wally had his winning record and stature which I believed was a huge plus for our Leos. However, I just see a HC who has not surrounded himself as he did in the past with top drawer assistant coaches, with the exception of hiring Stubler this past year. I don't see a Ritchie or a Hufnagel or a Cortez on our coaching staff at present, although I believe Barrin Miles could become an exceptional defensive coordinator in time.

I really would love to see Dave Ritchie come back here as Head Coach. He has stature. He wants to be a Head Coach again. He's had his time with his grandchildren and is chomping at the bit. I doubt Wally would hire him and would insert a Benevedes or who knows, even a Chapdelaine as Head Coach. However, I really believe we need someone at this juncture with Head Coaching experience. Wally is likely tired. Who knows> However I see a Head Coach who is only using negative strategies from constantly changing quarterbacks, blaming quarterbacks and other players for lack of execution, cutting any player who looks like he might have a mind of his own, cutting players to send messages, and just making too many mistakes regarding player evalutaion.

I also see a team lacking discipline, both on the field and off, and the penalties are just another indication of a team that is not tuning in its Head Coach. While i appaud the introduction of young coaches to the game, Wally doesn't appear to be comfortable enough adding coaches from outside the organization and Wally is not able to 'coach up' his assistant coaches. The Chap thing on offence has gone on way too long. Right now, he gives me a feeling of Nixon in the White House, in the later part of his career.

I doubt Wally would leave at the end of this season, going out on a low note. However, if he doesn't, he really needs to look at himself and his coaching staff. Very Serious changes are needed, either in personell at the coaching level or signifcant changes in approach. The same old, same old, with just some different players or a different quarterback just isn't going to get this ship turned around.

Blitz, just want to comment on the point I've highlighted. I took the time to see the video on the players' reactions to Casey's departure on TSN and I have no idea what you're referring to when you said in your point #2 that Jarious said whatever Casey said in the players dressing room needed to be said. In his interview he actually said what HAPPENED in the locker room could have been seen as inappropriate and may be it was. He also said that sometimes a GOOD thing comes out of a BAD situation and that he doesn't know which way it's going to go in this situation. That's all he said. He never mentioned Casey saying anything in the locker room. I don't know how you can take that out of context, among other people who have mentioned Jarious' interview to be supportive of Casey's outbreak in the locker room, and write that Jarious said something that he didn't say. He in fact sounded more like he was on the same page as Angus and Brent with their interviews. The BAD situation being Casey's negative energy he brought to the locker room and the GOOD thing being his departure for the good of the team.

My other point was no Code was broken. You mention the only way the locker room 'incident' got out was by a Leo saying something to the coaching staff someway or another. Well, my resources have told me otherwise. The coaches were in the coaching room when Casey came into the locker room that day. He was shouting profanities, throwing his helmet, yelling at players and even got face to face with Wilson. Both were heated and a fight was going to break out before some of the players had to pull them apart. Other players then joined in hootin and hollerin when all of a sudden Wally and a few other coaches OVERHEARD the yelling and crashing of equipment and walked into the locker room yelling at everyone to stop. Wally apparently made a very firm speech, directing most of his comments to Casey, and said whatever else he had to say to his team. So, I just wanted to give you the inside scoop, and to all the others who feel the same way, to ensure you that no Code was broken and that Leos are not tattle-tailing on each other to their coaches.

As far as the rest of your post, Blitz, I have to say, I see your point on all your other opinions.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I guess only on this day would it be appropriate to revive this emotionally-filled old thread. This could very well be the most negatively emotional thread ever on this board spanning up to 16 pages in a short amount of time.

In retrospect, it was definitely a blessing as his replacement for the starting Lions quarterback Travis Lulay went on for a MOP season in 2011 capping it off with a Grey Cup with his MVP performance.

For those who are wondering what Casey Printers is up to nowadays, it looks like his website is essentially non-functional with dead links: http://caseyprinters.com/

He's actively involved though on both:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/caseyprinters
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/casey.printers
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。