Introduce yourselves

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

Greetings and welcome aboard to all new members of Lionbackers!
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

hi guys, been posting for a bit but realized i've never actually introduced myself. I've followed the Lions as long as I can remember. My earliest Lions memory was probably watching the 1985 Grey Cup with my Dad.

Born & Raised in Chilliwack, got tickets for every game this year and didn't miss a single one. We had a blast at the games and decided to buy season tickets for next season. Section 233.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I am new here. Been a fan since I think 1972. That is why I picked a name from that era: Johnny Musso, an ode to the first running back I remember hearing on the radio to play for the Lions.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hey gang, I think I should have introduced myself a while ago but I guess better late than never?!?!

As my screen name and avatar might suggest, I first got hooked on the Lions in the 70s when Jerry Tagge and Leon the Neon were leading the Cardiac Kids into battle. My family always made time to sit down and watch the games together; my mom in particular was a big Lion's fan and deeply ingrained in me how Willie Fleming was the greatest and could have been even greater if Angelo Mosca wasn't such a dirty SOB. Along with simply enjoying the game as sport, my family shared with me how the Lions are apart of BC's identity and the CFL is part of our Canadian fabric. Everyone can enjoy Canadian Football whether you grew up with it or are completely new to Canada!
We always took great delight in the Lions beating the Esks...simply because it happened so rarely in those lean years in the 60s and 70s. Some of that time frame was before my time but my family made sure I knew that beating the Esks was to be savoured....
My wife and I live in Victoria and still manage to make being season ticket holders work. We have it down to a science....
We both work in public education and do our part in keeping the CFL and the Lions relevant to kids in our elementary schools. My wife has a Lions shrine in her classroom and will often bring back swag from games to her students. We both share stories with the kids about our various experiences in meeting players and going to games...and despite the worries about the CFL loosing the younger generation, kids still get a rush when a Lion comes to the school or being able to go to the occasional game (usually 1:00 kickoffs). Don't despair just yet on the younger generation.
I have lots of great memories about the team...watching Swervyn Mervyn play was special, those Lions-Bombers match-ups in the 80s, Don Taylor coming up big in the playoffs when no one gave him a chance, seeing Doug Flutie play under the dome, Duncan O'Mahony barely making the game winning field goal in the Western Final, Aaron Hunt's sack dance, seeing the team going from 0-5 and trudging dejectedly off Empire Field to their portable dressing room to Grey Cup champs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Hey gang, I think I should have introduced myself a while ago but I guess better late than never?!?!

As my screen name and avatar might suggest, I first got hooked on the Lions in the 70s when Jerry Tagge and Leon the Neon were leading the Cardiac Kids into battle. My family always made time to sit down and watch the games together; my mom in particular was a big Lion's fan and deeply ingrained in me how Willie Fleming was the greatest and could have been even greater if Angelo Mosca wasn't such a dirty SOB. Along with simply enjoying the game as sport, my family shared with me how the Lions are apart of BC's identity and the CFL is part of our Canadian fabric. Everyone can enjoy Canadian Football whether you grew up with it or are completely new to Canada!
We always took great delight in the Lions beating the Esks...simply because it happened so rarely in those lean years in the 60s and 70s. Some of that time frame was before my time but my family made sure I knew that beating the Esks was to be savoured....
My wife and I live in Victoria and still manage to make being season ticket holders work. We have it down to a science....
We both work in public education and do our part in keeping the CFL and the Lions relevant to kids in our elementary schools. My wife has a Lions shrine in her classroom and will often bring back swag from games to her students. We both share stories with the kids about our various experiences in meeting players and going to games...and despite the worries about the CFL loosing the younger generation, kids still get a rush when a Lion comes to the school or being able to go to the occasional game (usually 1:00 kickoffs). Don't despair just yet on the younger generation.
I have lots of great memories about the team...watching Swervyn Mervyn play was special, those Lions-Bombers match-ups in the 80s, Don Taylor coming up big in the playoffs when no one gave him a chance, seeing Doug Flutie play under the dome, Duncan O'Mahony barely making the game winning field goal in the Western Final, Aaron Hunt's sack dance, seeing the team going from 0-5 and trudging dejectedly off Empire Field to their portable dressing room to Grey Cup champs.
Your mother is a wise lady. Willie Fleming is the greatest Lion
footballtom
Rookie

I am Tom I am new to this site have been a Lions fan since the early 70s , never had season tickets until this year sitting in the end zone.

I am married have one daughter she is 10 years old .

Tom
CardiacKid
Legend

Welcome aboard!
I am fairly new myself (definitely when in comparison to the folks who have 1000s of posts) and have always found the Lionbackers forum receptive and a big help when I have a question. I appreciate how much information I can pick up from all the posters.
CK
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

footballtom wrote:I am Tom I am new to this site have been a Lions fan since the early 70s , never had season tickets until this year sitting in the end zone.

Tom
Welcome aboard. :beer:
CardiacKid wrote:Welcome aboard!
I am fairly new myself (definitely when in comparison to the folks who have 1000s of posts) and have always found the Lionbackers forum receptive and a big help when I have a question. I appreciate how much information I can pick up from all the posters.
CK
And belated welcome to CardiacKid. :beer:

Oh yeah. Willie Fleming. :thup: And the evil Angelo Mosca. :thdn: Ha ha

This fan was not all that upset to see Joe Kapp clobber Angelo. LOL They are both so old, their punches lack sting. That cane was dangerous though. Embarrassing? Nah ... They are both a couple of old street fighters. Adds to the legend.

Re Willie ... For many of those that saw him play live, he was the greatest breakaway back ever. 9.7 yard average run from scrimmage in 1963. 1234 yards total on the ground. And he was equally dangerous on passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Fleming
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

footballtom wrote:I am Tom I am new to this site have been a Lions fan since the early 70s , never had season tickets until this year sitting in the end zone.

Tom
Welcome. I've been a fan since 1963 and got my first season tickets in 1967. I used to sit on the sidelines at Empire Stadium, with the royal box for a back rest, but gave up my season tickets for 25 years while raising a family and working nights and weekends. I subscribed again as a promise to David Braley when he bought the team in 1997, and sat at first in the corner at B.C. Place before moving to the end zone a few years later. A lot of friends and neighbours sat in the front row there and seemed to have so much fun. It's also the best place to study a game because it's a player's eye view. You can see what the QB, safety and middle linebacker see, and what the coaches see on film.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Welcome. I've been a fan since 1963 and got my first season tickets in 1967.
Can anyone guess why 1967 was noteworthy (in an otherwise forgettable season)?

Hint. It's regarding a player.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Welcome. I've been a fan since 1963 and got my first season tickets in 1967.
Can anyone guess why 1967 was noteworthy (in an otherwise forgettable season)?

Hint. It's regarding a player.

Are you referring to the acquisition of Jim Young from the Minnesota Vikings in an unofficial multi-player, multi-team trade for Joe Kapp?
David
Team Captain

Yes, correct. It was Jim Young's first season in BC - one of the club's greatest receivers of all-time (and my first favourite player).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Yes, correct. It was Jim Young's first season in BC - one of the club's greatest receivers of all-time (and my first favourite player).

Joe Kapp was my first favourite player. Like most kids, I cherished my Squirrel peanut butter glass. Young was a great Lion and a respected ambassador in the community.
B.C. bound
prospect

Hi, just changed user name, formerly LionsLip, now B.C.bound, due to server change.
Jeremy25
prospect

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here. Looking forward to a great time. Feels good to meet the new members. Thanks for the acceptance.
Thank you.