Introduce yourselves

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

User avatar
KnightofCydonia
prospect
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:03 pm
Location: Vancouver

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm 23, and I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. My family has had seasons tickets since day 1 in 1954 - starting with my grandpa, then with my dad and uncle, and as for the future I fully intend on keeping up the tradition. Very proud to cheer on the Lions.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9090
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:25 pm

KnightofCydonia wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:16 pm
Hey everyone,

I'm 23, and I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. My family has had seasons tickets since day 1 in 1954 - starting with my grandpa, then with my dad and uncle, and as for the future I fully intend on keeping up the tradition. Very proud to cheer on the Lions.
Welcome. I got my first season tickets with my dad 50 years ago. He passed away two years later but I've been happy to introduce my kids and grandkids to the family tradition.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

ZLions
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi guys,

My name is Zeyaad, but you guys can call me Z for short, or Zac if that's easier for you. I'm 21 years old from Surrey and I'm a nursing student at KPU. Been a Lions fan since I was really young, and I really dig CFL football. I think what the BC Lions and the rest of the CFL should really do is market more towards millennials, people my age. I took my little brother to the Winnipeg game earlier this year and there was a noticeable lack of young people at the game. It was nothing like the Canucks game and Toronto Bluejays game I went to last season, where there was a ton of young people in the audience. Most of the crowd at BC Place is pretty old, and it's great that old people are coming out, but if the Lions and CFL want a future in this country they really should start appealing to the younger generation, and immigrants, which I know is tough to do but they must find a way.

Anyways sorry for going a bit off topic. Please be patient with me as you guys probably have way more football knowledge than I do so I might ask the occasional dumb question once in a while. I've been a long time reader of this blog and hope to contribute to some meaningful discussion with you guys. Go Leos!

User avatar
WestCoastJoe
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 15762
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm

ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 pm
Hi guys,

My name is Zeyaad, but you guys can call me Z for short, or Zac if that's easier for you. I'm 21 years old from Surrey and I'm a nursing student at KPU. Been a Lions fan since I was really young, and I really dig CFL football. I think what the BC Lions and the rest of the CFL should really do is market more towards millennials, people my age. I took my little brother to the Winnipeg game earlier this year and there was a noticeable lack of young people at the game. It was nothing like the Canucks game and Toronto Bluejays game I went to last season, where there was a ton of young people in the audience. Most of the crowd at BC Place is pretty old, and it's great that old people are coming out, but if the Lions and CFL want a future in this country they really should start appealing to the younger generation, and immigrants, which I know is tough to do but they must find a way.

Anyways sorry for going a bit off topic. Please be patient with me as you guys probably have way more football knowledge than I do so I might ask the occasional dumb question once in a while. I've been a long time reader of this blog and hope to contribute to some meaningful discussion with you guys. Go Leos!
Welcome, Z. Enjoy the site.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.

ZLions
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 pm

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm
ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 pm
Hi guys,

My name is Zeyaad, but you guys can call me Z for short, or Zac if that's easier for you. I'm 21 years old from Surrey and I'm a nursing student at KPU. Been a Lions fan since I was really young, and I really dig CFL football. I think what the BC Lions and the rest of the CFL should really do is market more towards millennials, people my age. I took my little brother to the Winnipeg game earlier this year and there was a noticeable lack of young people at the game. It was nothing like the Canucks game and Toronto Bluejays game I went to last season, where there was a ton of young people in the audience. Most of the crowd at BC Place is pretty old, and it's great that old people are coming out, but if the Lions and CFL want a future in this country they really should start appealing to the younger generation, and immigrants, which I know is tough to do but they must find a way.

Anyways sorry for going a bit off topic. Please be patient with me as you guys probably have way more football knowledge than I do so I might ask the occasional dumb question once in a while. I've been a long time reader of this blog and hope to contribute to some meaningful discussion with you guys. Go Leos!
Welcome, Z. Enjoy the site.

Thanks WestCoastJoe. I really enjoy your posts.

User avatar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7964
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 pm

ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm
ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 pm
Hi guys,

My name is Zeyaad, but you guys can call me Z for short, or Zac if that's easier for you. I'm 21 years old from Surrey and I'm a nursing student at KPU. Been a Lions fan since I was really young, and I really dig CFL football. I think what the BC Lions and the rest of the CFL should really do is market more towards millennials, people my age. I took my little brother to the Winnipeg game earlier this year and there was a noticeable lack of young people at the game. It was nothing like the Canucks game and Toronto Bluejays game I went to last season, where there was a ton of young people in the audience. Most of the crowd at BC Place is pretty old, and it's great that old people are coming out, but if the Lions and CFL want a future in this country they really should start appealing to the younger generation, and immigrants, which I know is tough to do but they must find a way.

Anyways sorry for going a bit off topic. Please be patient with me as you guys probably have way more football knowledge than I do so I might ask the occasional dumb question once in a while. I've been a long time reader of this blog and hope to contribute to some meaningful discussion with you guys. Go Leos!
Welcome, Z. Enjoy the site.

Thanks WestCoastJoe. I really enjoy your posts.
Good post.

I heard Rintoul and Walker on Sportsnet 650 making a similar point to yours.

The football guys can't be left to run these franchises as they're not marketers and you can't expect a GM/HC to do too much in that regard.

Wally some years back was asked if he'd promote an ethnic player and he said no that that would never factor into bringing a player in.

Meanwhile the Eng Premier Soccer league have teams like Man U that fairly deliberately consider location as they know it sells jerseys overseas.

User avatar
WestCoastJoe
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 15762
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 am

ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm
ZLions wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 pm
Hi guys,

My name is Zeyaad, but you guys can call me Z for short, or Zac if that's easier for you. I'm 21 years old from Surrey and I'm a nursing student at KPU. Been a Lions fan since I was really young, and I really dig CFL football. I think what the BC Lions and the rest of the CFL should really do is market more towards millennials, people my age. I took my little brother to the Winnipeg game earlier this year and there was a noticeable lack of young people at the game. It was nothing like the Canucks game and Toronto Bluejays game I went to last season, where there was a ton of young people in the audience. Most of the crowd at BC Place is pretty old, and it's great that old people are coming out, but if the Lions and CFL want a future in this country they really should start appealing to the younger generation, and immigrants, which I know is tough to do but they must find a way.

Anyways sorry for going a bit off topic. Please be patient with me as you guys probably have way more football knowledge than I do so I might ask the occasional dumb question once in a while. I've been a long time reader of this blog and hope to contribute to some meaningful discussion with you guys. Go Leos!
Welcome, Z. Enjoy the site.

Thanks WestCoastJoe. I really enjoy your posts.
Thank you, Z. Bring in the younger generation.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.

User avatar
javiermq78
prospect
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello,

My name is Javier, I'm 39 years old and I live in Tijuana, Mexico. I've been an Oakland Raider fan for over 30 years and now I'm starting to enjoy the CFL more and more to the point where I no longer care all that much for the NFL. The CFL is obviously more wide open with many scoring opportunities, even "boring games" are not so bad, whereas the NFL is constantly trying to change rules in order to improve the game and to make it more exciting.

I went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and fell in love with the city and the BC lions. I can't wait to go back so I can watch a live Canadian football game for the first time. And as an added bonus, the games are much more affordable when compared to the US. You guys are so lucky to live in Canada and enjoy this great game, my country is beautiful but we have a lot of issues and we don't have professional football.

Funny story: In northwestern Mexico we have a drink called Clamato which is basically a Caesar for Canadians, I was shocked when I learned about this because for many years I was so proud of my regional drink and it was all a lie... we do add clams, beef jerky or smoked tuna so it ends up being a drink and a meal.

User avatar
WestCoastJoe
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 15762
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm

javiermq78 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,

My name is Javier, I'm 39 years old and I live in Tijuana, Mexico. I've been an Oakland Raider fan for over 30 years and now I'm starting to enjoy the CFL more and more to the point where I no longer care all that much for the NFL. The CFL is obviously more wide open with many scoring opportunities, even "boring games" are not so bad, whereas the NFL is constantly trying to change rules in order to improve the game and to make it more exciting.

I went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and fell in love with the city and the BC lions. I can't wait to go back so I can watch a live Canadian football game for the first time. And as an added bonus, the games are much more affordable when compared to the US. You guys are so lucky to live in Canada and enjoy this great game, my country is beautiful but we have a lot of issues and we don't have professional football.

Funny story: In northwestern Mexico we have a drink called Clamato which is basically a Caesar for Canadians, I was shocked when I learned about this because for many years I was so proud of my regional drink and it was all a lie... we do add clams, beef jerky or smoked tuna so it ends up being a drink and a meal.
Welcome, Javier.

Yes, this is a site for those who love the Lions and the CFL.

The CFL is wide open. And yes, virtually all CFL games have excitement, especially in the final minutes. Rarely is a lead safe.

Mexico is beautiful and bountiful. One hopes for the time when it is safer and more stable. We all know of so many stories of the dangers there.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.

User avatar
javiermq78
prospect
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 pm

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm
javiermq78 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,

My name is Javier, I'm 39 years old and I live in Tijuana, Mexico. I've been an Oakland Raider fan for over 30 years and now I'm starting to enjoy the CFL more and more to the point where I no longer care all that much for the NFL. The CFL is obviously more wide open with many scoring opportunities, even "boring games" are not so bad, whereas the NFL is constantly trying to change rules in order to improve the game and to make it more exciting.

I went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and fell in love with the city and the BC lions. I can't wait to go back so I can watch a live Canadian football game for the first time. And as an added bonus, the games are much more affordable when compared to the US. You guys are so lucky to live in Canada and enjoy this great game, my country is beautiful but we have a lot of issues and we don't have professional football.

Funny story: In northwestern Mexico we have a drink called Clamato which is basically a Caesar for Canadians, I was shocked when I learned about this because for many years I was so proud of my regional drink and it was all a lie... we do add clams, beef jerky or smoked tuna so it ends up being a drink and a meal.
Welcome, Javier.

Yes, this is a site for those who love the Lions and the CFL.

The CFL is wide open. And yes, virtually all CFL games have excitement, especially in the final minutes. Rarely is a lead safe.

Mexico is beautiful and bountiful. One hopes for the time when it is safer and more stable. We all know of so many stories of the dangers there.
Thank you WestCoastJoe,

I'm happy to be here. I remember that the CFL became very popular in the US in the 90's, which was the first time I became aware of Canadian football. Rocket Ismail and Mervyn Fernandez played for the Raiders but played in the CFL before that. I think it's really cool that both players were able to adapt to two very different leagues... along with Moon, Flutie and others.

User avatar
David
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 7704
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:23 am
Location: Vancouver (Kitsilano)

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Javier,

Welcome to Lionbackers! I am glad that you had a chance to enjoy the great game of Canadian football while you were here. Thanks for posting.

Funny story, we had a linebacker who retired from the BC Lions about 7-8 years ago named Javier Glatt. I had to look up his birth date as I thought you might be him (thinking he might have been born in 1978).

:beer:


DH :cool:
Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.

User avatar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7964
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am

javiermq78 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,

My name is Javier, I'm 39 years old and I live in Tijuana, Mexico. I've been an Oakland Raider fan for over 30 years and now I'm starting to enjoy the CFL more and more to the point where I no longer care all that much for the NFL. The CFL is obviously more wide open with many scoring opportunities, even "boring games" are not so bad, whereas the NFL is constantly trying to change rules in order to improve the game and to make it more exciting.

I went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and fell in love with the city and the BC lions. I can't wait to go back so I can watch a live Canadian football game for the first time. And as an added bonus, the games are much more affordable when compared to the US. You guys are so lucky to live in Canada and enjoy this great game, my country is beautiful but we have a lot of issues and we don't have professional football.

Funny story: In northwestern Mexico we have a drink called Clamato which is basically a Caesar for Canadians, I was shocked when I learned about this because for many years I was so proud of my regional drink and it was all a lie... we do add clams, beef jerky or smoked tuna so it ends up being a drink and a meal.
Fully agree with your take on the CFL game and our rules including the last minutes of the game where it seems like a lifetime versus an NFL team under 2 min just needing one first down and then can sit on the game.

History of Clamato below:

Why it's a favourite of Canadians is explained in the history and you can order a Caesar in any bar in Canada as I do when traveling:
Clamato is also the main ingredient in Canada’s number one cocktail, the Bloody Caesar®. Walter Chell invented this drink in 1969 for the opening of a restaurant called Marcos. Bloody Caesar is a mixture of Clamato, vodka, and spices.
https://www.clamato.com/en/about

Our history began in California in 1969 when Clamato® juice was created, a unique and tasty cocktail made with tomato juice and a blend of spices that livens the senses.

The farmers were the first ones to appreciate Clamato juice’s refreshing flavor when they realized how it made their long, hard days in the sun much more tolerable. Soon, Clamato became more and more well known throughout the United States and México. Today, it’s a popular beverage among Latinos everywhere.

Clamato Caesar and Clamato Picante were created, adding to Clamato’s popularity and making this all-time favorite more versatile.

Clamato is now the indispensable ingredient in many beverages, including the traditional Michelada™. It is said that the Michelada made its first appearance in Mexicali at the “Bar los V-tarros” where, the story claims, it was very common to experiment with drink mixes in an effort to find the purrfect antidote for the hot, sultry climate. Witnesses claim that Mr. Camacho, the owner of “Bar los V-tarros,” and his good friend created the now very popular Michelada, a mix of Clamato with beer, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lime, and pepper. The recipe became so popular, it quickly spread from Mexicali … to the world!

Clamato is also the main ingredient in Canada’s number one cocktail, the Bloody Caesar®. Walter Chell invented this drink in 1969 for the opening of a restaurant called Marcos. Bloody Caesar is a mixture of Clamato, vodka, and spices.

People who use Clamato to prepare food and drinks fondly refer to it as “My Clamato.” Because of its versatility, Clamato allows you to prepare an almost infinite variety of tasty recipes with your personal flair.

User avatar
javiermq78
prospect
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 pm

David wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:21 am
Hi Javier,

Welcome to Lionbackers! I am glad that you had a chance to enjoy the great game of Canadian football while you were here. Thanks for posting.

Funny story, we had a linebacker who retired from the BC Lions about 7-8 years ago named Javier Glatt. I had to look up his birth date as I thought you might be him (thinking he might have been born in 1978).

:beer:


DH :cool:
Thank you David,

I wish I was a CFL player... I'm just Javier Martinez.

User avatar
javiermq78
prospect
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am
javiermq78 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,

My name is Javier, I'm 39 years old and I live in Tijuana, Mexico. I've been an Oakland Raider fan for over 30 years and now I'm starting to enjoy the CFL more and more to the point where I no longer care all that much for the NFL. The CFL is obviously more wide open with many scoring opportunities, even "boring games" are not so bad, whereas the NFL is constantly trying to change rules in order to improve the game and to make it more exciting.

I went to Vancouver a few weeks ago and fell in love with the city and the BC lions. I can't wait to go back so I can watch a live Canadian football game for the first time. And as an added bonus, the games are much more affordable when compared to the US. You guys are so lucky to live in Canada and enjoy this great game, my country is beautiful but we have a lot of issues and we don't have professional football.

Funny story: In northwestern Mexico we have a drink called Clamato which is basically a Caesar for Canadians, I was shocked when I learned about this because for many years I was so proud of my regional drink and it was all a lie... we do add clams, beef jerky or smoked tuna so it ends up being a drink and a meal.
Fully agree with your take on the CFL game and our rules including the last minutes of the game where it seems like a lifetime versus an NFL team under 2 min just needing one first down and then can sit on the game.

History of Clamato below:

Why it's a favourite of Canadians is explained in the history and you can order a Caesar in any bar in Canada as I do when traveling:
Clamato is also the main ingredient in Canada’s number one cocktail, the Bloody Caesar®. Walter Chell invented this drink in 1969 for the opening of a restaurant called Marcos. Bloody Caesar is a mixture of Clamato, vodka, and spices.
https://www.clamato.com/en/about

Our history began in California in 1969 when Clamato® juice was created, a unique and tasty cocktail made with tomato juice and a blend of spices that livens the senses.

The farmers were the first ones to appreciate Clamato juice’s refreshing flavor when they realized how it made their long, hard days in the sun much more tolerable. Soon, Clamato became more and more well known throughout the United States and México. Today, it’s a popular beverage among Latinos everywhere.

Clamato Caesar and Clamato Picante were created, adding to Clamato’s popularity and making this all-time favorite more versatile.

Clamato is now the indispensable ingredient in many beverages, including the traditional Michelada™. It is said that the Michelada made its first appearance in Mexicali at the “Bar los V-tarros” where, the story claims, it was very common to experiment with drink mixes in an effort to find the purrfect antidote for the hot, sultry climate. Witnesses claim that Mr. Camacho, the owner of “Bar los V-tarros,” and his good friend created the now very popular Michelada, a mix of Clamato with beer, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lime, and pepper. The recipe became so popular, it quickly spread from Mexicali … to the world!

Clamato is also the main ingredient in Canada’s number one cocktail, the Bloody Caesar®. Walter Chell invented this drink in 1969 for the opening of a restaurant called Marcos. Bloody Caesar is a mixture of Clamato, vodka, and spices.

People who use Clamato to prepare food and drinks fondly refer to it as “My Clamato.” Because of its versatility, Clamato allows you to prepare an almost infinite variety of tasty recipes with your personal flair.
I appreciate the information. I was actually born in Mexicali, horrible 45 degree dry summers but a good place for food and drinks: Chinese food, flour tortilla beef tacos, corn tortilla lamb tacos, clamatos, micheladas, chamoyadas, seafood (we use clamato for ceviche and seafood cocktails), etc.

The NFL is just not that interesting to me anymore. I remember last year watching a Raider game where the opposing team scored a TD on an eleven minute drive!!!! Long drives occur quite frequently in the no fun league.

User avatar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7964
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Javier, I've known players who played both NFL and CFL and they liked CFL for the game and rules and the culture of the CFL but liked the NFL money better!

Welcome!

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], zeppo and 8 guests