TSN - Lions will not renew QB coach Steff Kruck's contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Larry Key wrote:
Larry Key wrote:Funny how DD just quit as the Stamps RB coach. Coincidence??
Oops sorry about that. It Craig that quit, not Dave. Darn.
It may not have had anything to do with it...but did you see the game where Hufnagel lit into him. It was not classy!!
There's always been something Barney Fife-esque about Craig Dickenson running up and down the Stampeder sidelines - which is fine if you have someone running the show with the calm demeanor of Sheriff Andy. But with Hufnagel's volcanic temperament, it wasn't a good fit.

He always looked kind of 'deer in the headlights' standing beside the critical and demanding, Sharpie-chewing head coach.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
There's always been something Barney Fife-esque about Craig Dickenson running up and down the Stampeder sidelines - which is fine if you have someone running the show with the calm demeanor of Sheriff Andy. But with Hufnagel's volcanic temperament, it wasn't a good fit.

He always looked kind of 'deer in the headlights' standing beside the critical and demanding, Sharpie-chewing head coach.
You paint a funny picture, David, with the Barney Fife and Andy Taylor references. LOL

I never noticed Craig D on the sidelines.

But now that I think about it, Craig's brother Dave Dickenson looks a lot like little Opie Taylor. LOL
bclions16
Champion

[youtube][/youtube]
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Big Time
Champion

Let's not be too quick to jump on somebody just because he's available. Special teams was far from the worst aspect of the Lions game this year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dave and Opie

Couple of towheads.

Country boys who like fishing.

Yee Haw
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm anticipating that our Leos will soon be making the decision to not renew Kruck's contract official.

To Steff Kruck, thank you. I loved to watch you coach our quarterbacks at practices. Even more so, I really was impressed with a lot of your work as our co-offensive coordinator in 2007. I especially liked some of the innovation you brought to our offence that season, along with your play calling that year. We won the most games ever as a Leos team, with Jarious Jackson starting 11 games, in his first season as a starter. You brought the running attack back into our offence and led the wave of reintroducing the importance of the running game back into the mindset of CFL offensive coordinators.

I felt sad that you were demoted, after that season. You deserved so much better.

We need new blood and new thinking in our offensive coaching staff. Even more so, we need improvement in our defensive coaching staff. Why you are the coach to be let go is more than confusing. There were other Leo coaches whose performance has not been held to account.

Best wishes and thank you for your contributions to our Leos.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Odie
Rookie

Well put Blitz. I second this and add that I hope Wally is not yet finished with holding coaches accountable for their performances, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

All the best Mr. Kruck and thank you for your years as a Leo!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well said, Blitz.

If Wally is going to make changes in the coaching staff based on the performance of their player groups, firing Steff Kruck first seems off the mark. If he is the sacrificial goat, even worse.

Personnel, Schemes and Coaching Staff.

These are 3 areas Wally might look at if he decides to make changes.

Personnel

He always makes changes in player personnel. If he changed from 5 to 10 players off last year's roster, I would not be surprised. This is normal for him.

IMO our personnel is not a great problem. Tweaks are needed here and there. Game breaking import receiver. Defensive end to backup or start in place of Brent Johnson. Top of the line import linebacker. Defensive halfback.

Coaching Staff

This depends on Wally's philosophy. I expect that the coaches deliver what Wally wants. How can he fire them? For the most part, they are also his proteges or long-time associates. I don't expect any more changes in the coaching staff. I would hope he allows them, and encourages them to update and modernize the play books, game plans and schemes. Or will he stay with the same stuff he has used for 20 years? Conservative stuff on defence. Predictable stuff on offence and defence.

Schemes

IMO this has been our biggest problem. Can the coaches Wally has bring our schemes up to the level of Hufnagel, Trestman and MIller? If they do have the innovative and creative ability, will Wally allow them to make the adjustments? It seems to me that what has worked for Wally for 20 years needs a major overhaul. I have doubts that it will happen for next year.

So, once again, thank you to Steff Kruck for all your contributions and hard work. You do have your supporters, those that believe in you. I hope you land in a good environment. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seems to me that Kruk is being made the scapegoat here. The guys that should be fired is the Sham Wow Chapdelaine and Benevides.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Interesting to read this old thread and as IIRC Wally said he wanted he wanted a "stronger coach." The posters with the strongest knowledge of the X's and O's - blitz, comartie, wcj...were all very positive on the work he did. I too watched him coach and work with the QBs and also fully involved and I thought his quiet manner was very professional.

I noted he was GM with the Arizona Racers Nat'l Spring Football League but he left after 6 months. Today checking the NSFL website it doesn't look very active if active at all. Not sure it will run from the looks of their site or if it does - not very well.

I see on Kruck's Linkedin page he's just volunteering for the one of the bowl games but not with a coaching job yet.

I'm not a major x's and o's guy although I played football for a lot of years and I thought his offensive design, play calling and great use of the running schemes were great but then again I wanted Joe Smith in there to stay.

Do loud mouth coaches like some loud mouth managers in business do better than the quieter ones who just get on and do a good job!! It sometimes seems that way.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy