TSN - Lions will not renew QB coach Steff Kruck's contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion_Pride_26
Legend

SOURCE: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=301445

TSN has reported that the Lions will not renew Steff Kruck's contract.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sacrificial goat = Steff Kruck.

So loyalty has its limits. Best wishes to Steff Kruck who laboured long and hard for the Lions. Obviously there is no good time to get fired, but just before Christmas kind of sucks.

"Mama, don't let your sons grow up to be football coaches."

The D was the biggest problem with the team. But Kruck was no doubt lowest on the pecking order of coaches. He had already been demoted once, from the Offensive Coordinator spot he had shared with Dan Dorazio. Now he has been demoted out the door.

This move will have little or no impact in solving the problems the Lions had this year. As John Henry has pointed out, it does look designed to satisfy the impression of doing something.

I don't much like it. :thdn:

The QB coaching spot is one that might not even be filled. Unless Dave Dickenson could be enticed out of Calgary. (Not likely methinks.) And it would be interesting to see if Dave D and Casey could co-exist in a second go-round. I can't see Dave D coming here. (Next step for Dickenson in his career ascension would be OC somewhere, followed by HC somewhere, possibly even an American college.)
The_Pauser
Legend

I know the way he was shown the door probably created a rift between him and Wally, but I'm wondering if the firing of Kruck paves the way for Damon Allen to come in as our QB coach? He has a strong relationship with Casey and has already been consulting with him...
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

Have to agree with the above, while I am not disappointed with the move, it had better not be the final one, although I can't see the Lions doing Assistant Coach firing at multiple stages.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No doubt Kruk was responsible for the BC quarterbacks being injured this season. :dizzy:
hwgill
Legend

Now, if Kruck had been the problem, it would have been a good move. Kruck however was not the problem, Chap was, and so far, he's still here.

This is a do-nothing move.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
David
Team Captain

Holy Smokes! What's with all the negativity in this thread? :bang:

Guys, it's December 7, not June 7. They've chosen not to renew Stef Kruck's contract. How you can draw conclusions from this one move - and play the 'scapegoat' card - escapes me. :dizzy:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I'll stand by my opinion, David. Even if it is December 7, not June 7.

One could easily say, "What's with all the positivity? We went 8 and 10 and got blown out a number of times. Many times we mailed it in. That is a very bad sign."

What has been called "negativity" could instead be a hard look at reality. The old philosophy test: "Is the glass half full, or is it half empty?" Well our glass was not even half full this year. 8 and 10.

What it looks like is that Wally will not make significant changes from what did not work well in 2009. And if one was to look at the individual coaches this year, I would say the poorest results were at linebacker (Benevides), defensive back (Washington), offensive line (Dorazio), short yardage (Buono) and overall defence (Benevides). Where in those units does Steff Kruck fit?

* One of the first things Wally said at season's end was that he would stay with what they have done over the years.

* And that no moves would be made until January.

* Then a few days later he says he will look at everything, and he may or not change things.

* Then he fires Kruck, an inconsequential move, and a strange signal to the fan base who are looking for answers and hope.

It sounds like a lot of mind changing by Wally in a short time. And it sounds very much like "window dressing." Best to show some kind of move to satisfy the business managers who are looking at season ticket renewals.

Merry Christmas. Ho ho ho. :beer:
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Holy Smokes! What's with all the negativity in this thread? :bang:

Guys, it's December 7, not June 7. They've chosen not to renew Stef Kruck's contract. How you can draw conclusions from this one move - and play the 'scapegoat' card - escapes me. :dizzy:

DH
I believe that in order for the Lions to gain on their divisional rivals, we do need an innovative O and D scheme, readily adaptable to what is being deployed against us game in game out. In that, Kruck's removal doesn't resolve the situation and if he is the sacrificial lamb in this case (as he is the only name from the coaching ranks to be named so far), the purge isn't deep enough to affect my concerns in regard to the BC Lions being out coached on a regular basis.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

If this is the only move , than it is not a good sign for next season IMO and only comes across as finding a scapegoat . The thing about scapegoating is , who are they trying to fool here ? Usually scapegoating is done to appease the fan base or the owner . If it's to appease the fan base , well it's not going to accomplish anything since the fanbase has already been asking for changes far different then axing Kruck . If anything , he's one of the assistants who got more respect .
Besides IMO at least , the far bigger problems as far as coaching is concerned , were on defense . The offense's problems could have been attributed to lack of continuity of the O-line as well as at the QB position . For a time our offense produced pretty good results running the ball as was seen when Mallet was leading the league in rushing pretty late in the season . With the season starting with CP at QB , along with more development of some of our young O-linemen , there was reason to hope that the O would have been competitive . Can't say that about the defense .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:Now, if Kruck had been the problem, it would have been a good move. Kruck however was not the problem, Chap was, and so far, he's still here.

This is a do-nothing move.
:thup: :thup:
Spud387
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:...
The QB coaching spot is one that might not even be filled. Unless Dave Dickenson could be enticed out of Calgary. (Not likely methinks.) And it would be interesting to see if Dave D and Casey could co-exist in a second go-round. I can't see Dave D coming here. (Next step for Dickenson in his career ascension would be OC somewhere, followed by HC somewhere, possibly even an American college.)
Please Please Please!!!! Bring DD back here
Big Time
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:I know the way he was shown the door probably created a rift between him and Wally, but I'm wondering if the firing of Kruck paves the way for Damon Allen to come in as our QB coach? He has a strong relationship with Casey and has already been consulting with him...
Where did you hear this? I've never heard of Damon Allen having any relationship with Casey, and I've certainly never heard of anyone say that Damon Allen was a good teacher to any QB's he ever teamed with. In fact, he seemed to go out of his way to avoid imparting any wisdom that could help young QB's. Gulio Caravetta did not have any friendly things to say about Damon during his short tenure as a Lion QB. Truthfully, DA is not really the kind of guy I would want mentoring Casey Printers. DA's attitude was questionable, his inconsistency well documented, and never played on a team where he didn't have communication problems with receivers i.e. throw several times a game to a spot where there was no receiver in sight.

Dave Dickenson on the other hand would be fantastic and already has a relationship with Casey. I don't see why DD or CP would have any issue working together. It's not like they are competing for each other's jobs, like they were before. I think DD has done wonders for Henry Burris. He would be a welcome return to the Leos.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Holy Smokes! What's with all the negativity in this thread? :bang:

DH
Because the offense, save for one year, has had the same set of problems for the better part of five years.

And the exception to the rule was just scapegoated out the door.

But other than that, yeah, this was great. :thdn: