TSN - Lions will not renew QB coach Steff Kruck's contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I wonder if we're jumping the gun on the Kruck info.

Ullrich hasn't written anything in the Province yet and he's usually onto something like this quickly. Beamish hasn't reported anything yet either.

I sure hope it isn't so. Kruck is the last guy, on the coaching staff, who should be released.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:...
The QB coaching spot is one that might not even be filled. Unless Dave Dickenson could be enticed out of Calgary. (Not likely methinks.) And it would be interesting to see if Dave D and Casey could co-exist in a second go-round. I can't see Dave D coming here. (Next step for Dickenson in his career ascension would be OC somewhere, followed by HC somewhere, possibly even an American college.)
Please Please Please!!!! Bring DD back here
Who says Dave Dickenson is a great coach? It's not as if Calgary got past the Riders this season, with Dickenson as the running backs/qb coach. Besides, the only offence Dickenson has ever played in the CFL, is the Calgary offence...as he played for Chap and Cortez. Wouldn't be a lot of new ideas.

In terms of being a scapegoat, as a player on the Leos you don't want to play wideside corner. If the team isn't performing Wally always benches someone playing this position. The linebacker can be missing tackle after tackle but the wideside corner always pays the price first.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Spud387
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:...
The QB coaching spot is one that might not even be filled. Unless Dave Dickenson could be enticed out of Calgary. (Not likely methinks.) And it would be interesting to see if Dave D and Casey could co-exist in a second go-round. I can't see Dave D coming here. (Next step for Dickenson in his career ascension would be OC somewhere, followed by HC somewhere, possibly even an American college.)
Please Please Please!!!! Bring DD back here
Who says Dave Dickenson is a great coach? It's not as if Calgary got past the Riders this season, with Dickenson as the running backs/qb coach. Besides, the only offence Dickenson has ever played in the CFL, is the Calgary offence...as he played for Chap and Cortez. Wouldn't be a lot of new ideas.

In terms of being a scapegoat, as a player on the Leos you don't want to play wideside corner. If the team isn't performing Wally always benches someone playing this position. The linebacker can be missing tackle after tackle but the wideside corner always pays the price first.
DD worked magic on the field, and it wasn't because of his physical gifts. Buck had some of his best times while DD was on sidelines helping him along. Is there a guarantee DD will be a great QB coach or Off. Coordinator? No, but I think the man deserves the chance as he has shown to be very intelligent at the game.
The_Pauser
Legend

Big Time wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I know the way he was shown the door probably created a rift between him and Wally, but I'm wondering if the firing of Kruck paves the way for Damon Allen to come in as our QB coach? He has a strong relationship with Casey and has already been consulting with him...
Where did you hear this? I've never heard of Damon Allen having any relationship with Casey, and I've certainly never heard of anyone say that Damon Allen was a good teacher to any QB's he ever teamed with. In fact, he seemed to go out of his way to avoid imparting any wisdom that could help young QB's. Gulio Caravetta did not have any friendly things to say about Damon during his short tenure as a Lion QB. Truthfully, DA is not really the kind of guy I would want mentoring Casey Printers. DA's attitude was questionable, his inconsistency well documented, and never played on a team where he didn't have communication problems with receivers i.e. throw several times a game to a spot where there was no receiver in sight.

Dave Dickenson on the other hand would be fantastic and already has a relationship with Casey. I don't see why DD or CP would have any issue working together. It's not like they are competing for each other's jobs, like they were before. I think DD has done wonders for Henry Burris. He would be a welcome return to the Leos.
It was reported on TSN during one of the games (I think the Hamilton playoff game) that Casey was consulting Allen about being more consistent and developing into a more complete quarterback. They also seem to be friends...you can take my word on that.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

It would make sense to me. I think I heard that too. I know that over the many years here I thought Damon was a very consistent qb. Good for Casey.

Time count violation... Number Nine. five yard penalty.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Whatever Dave Dickenson coaches turns to gold so far.

Helped to progress Burris in the '08 season... Burris- '08 MOP runner up...

Dickenson switches to RB's coach for the '09 season (why Calg. would do this, i dont know).. Burris is now lost when throwing from the pocket, and Joffrey Reynolds is the '09 MOP runner up... (Reynolds gives high praise to Dickenson for his successes in '09)

coincidence?.. well, that's up for discussion
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
David wrote:Holy Smokes! What's with all the negativity in this thread? :bang:

Guys, it's December 7, not June 7. They've chosen not to renew Stef Kruck's contract. How you can draw conclusions from this one move - and play the 'scapegoat' card - escapes me. :dizzy:

DH
Because the offense, save for one year, has had the same set of problems for the better part of five years.

And the exception to the rule was just scapegoated out the door.

But other than that, yeah, this was great. :thdn:
I'm not denying that the Chapdelaine offense has, for the most part, lacked imagination and creativity, can be defended rather easily, and that we often succeed on offense in spite of the play calling, not because of it. But to have a scapegoat implies that someone was the sacrificial lamb and we don't know that to be the case. I submit that until we know for sure that Wally is NOT making any more coaching changes that we can't call Kruck a scapegoat.

Again, coach Krucks' contract was up for renewal and they elected not to. Wally said he would be reviewing everyone's performance in the coming weeks - including the coaches. I'm simply saying it's way too early to conclude that more changes aren't on the way. If anything, one could argue based on this move that 'status quo' isn't in the cards for the Lions' coaching staff.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
btemp
prospect

Wait wait wait wait...

They haven't renewed the contract of one guy. Does this mean that Chap isn't seeing the door? This is one move. In a few months you can talk about scapegoating, not right now. This may very well be one move of many, who knows? Lets wait and see before jumping the gun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

When an assistant football coach is fired, that is the time for his supporters to speak on his behalf. Kruck had his share of supporters, myself included. I have a lot of sympathy for all these CFL football coaches. Long hours. Pressure. Relatively low pay. Pension? Nah. Security? Nah.

I'm not advocating firing anybody. But I would like to see change to more of an attack philosophy, rather than what I see as a conservative one.

We've had a dismal year. The most glaring failures were on defence. IMO the DBs and the LBs were the groups that had the most problems. And Wally has said he does not want to rush things in making changes. Take that at face value and those wanting blood are going to be restless. And after cautioning not to expect any changes until January we suddenly hear through TSN that Kruck is being let go, with no denial by the Lions. If his release is merit-based, it was not where most observers would have started letting people go.

And it is possible it is not a scapegoat move by the boss, that it is a merit-based, performance-based decision by Wally. (Personally I would have a hard time buying that as a rationale.) It is possible the Lions did not even intend the information to be announced until January.

But after the season we had, where in many football organizations, heads would be rolling, it is surprising to hear that the quarterback coach is being let go. (Our 8 and 10 record was not in itself so very horrible. And we almost won a few more. But the way we quit in some games, got blown out in others, and mailed in performances in a few, was a concern.) In looking at the failures of the team, I would think most observers would identify pass defence and run defence as the areas that were exposed most often.

Wait until next year to discuss this? No. By then it will have blown over. I think Kruck deserves better than that. Look at it now, I say. If Ullrich and Beamish are not on holiday yet, we might hear more about it from them.

If one was looking to fire coaches for the underperformance of their group, quarterback coach is not where I would start.
ziggy
Legend

I agree WCJ its real easy to talk about firing folks if you don't have to actually do it. I'm sure a lot of the inner workings of the team are unknown to the us fans and at times our easy solution is to fire someone based on our limited knowledge. In this case we have no idea if there is a problem with Kruck and the QB's working together, Kruck and the OC, Kruck and the Receivers Coach , or even if Kruck has decided to move on for reasons of his own.
Football ,like most games, has fans who expect to win and when they don't they look for a simple fix like changing out a coach. I personally don't think this ever works for more than a game or two, but only buys time. If you have the wrong personnel, coaching can make them look better( but not necessarily their coach), but even if they overachieve its unlikely they will become dominant. If you have great personnel they can sometimes cover up the warts of the coaching.

I hope in the off season the team looks hard at all facets, be they personnel or coaching before moving to fire people. I don't think our problems are just in coaching, or just in personnel, to focus too much on one area of weakness is a disservice to the other.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Funny how DD just quit as the Stamps RB coach. Coincidence??
ziggy
Legend

Larry Key wrote:Funny how DD just quit as the Stamps RB coach. Coincidence??
Both him and his brother? I saw where his brother had quit?
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
Oops sorry about that. It Craig that quit, not Dave. Darn.
Blitz
Team Captain

Larry Key wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Oops sorry about that. It Craig that quit, not Dave. Darn.
It may not have had anything to do with it...but did you see the game where Hufnagel lit into him. It was not classy!!