Ryan Grice-Mullen ... Articles, etc.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He arrived last year with the Lions somewhat quietly and showed some flashes. He may be flying under the radar so far. Here are some articles from last year, before the NFL draft in which he had hoped to be chosen in the second round or so, and one article from Mike Beamish after he had joined the Lions.
Grice-Mullins improves stock with fast 40

By Dave Reardon

April 2, 2008

In the time it takes to read this sentence, Ryan Grice-Mullins did something spectacular.

The former Hawaii slotback covered 40 yards in 4.33 seconds yesterday at UH's pro timing day in Carson, Calif. It makes him among the fastest documented receivers available to be drafted into the NFL later this month.

"It got a little bit of a buzz going. Some teams are calling my agent and I might be doing some visits," said Grice-Mullins, who ran 4.46 at the NFL Combine. "It was kind of funny because a lot of people were surprised today. But I wasn't. I was disappointed with my times at the combine. At the combine I ran (and) people were like, 'Those are good times.' I didn't think so."

Grice-Mullins said he felt more comfortable at the Home Depot Center in Carson than he did at the combine.

"At the combine it was a lot of waiting around, and I think I got a little tight," he said. "Here, I was in a comfort zone."

"He's now a solid third- or fourth-round pick, and could go higher," said a veteran NFL scout who timed Grice-Mullins yesterday. "He definitely moves to the head of the class of the Hawaii receivers."

Another scout said the 4.33 time is legit.

"A couple guys actually had him at 4.27. I had him at 4.36 and 4.38," said the scout, who added that the track was fast, and the times would convert to around 4.45 to 4.47 on grass.

An agent said Grice-Mullins made himself a factor in the draft.

"It puts him on the map and forces teams to put him on their board. Now they'll pull game tape on him, and if they pull one where he has a decent performance, that helps him a lot," said Wynn Silberman, who was at Carson yesterday as the representative for a Kamehameha graduate, tight end Kolo Kapanui. "The bottom line today is Ryan showed some great speed, and that is a major commodity in the draft."

Ryan Tollner, Grice-Mullins' agent, agreed that the 40 time elevates his client from a potential role player as a slotback to a possible game breaker wideout.

"I'd say he's shown he's got explosiveness, speed, that he can get into a second gear and beyond," Tollner said. "And he's such a good guy. Ryan's got a likeability to him. He's approachable, but not an ego guy."

Grice-Mullins also put together an impressive body of work on the field at UH, with two 1,000-yard receiving seasons in three years.

"I've done everything I can, so now I kind of wait and see," said Grice-Mullins, who added he will come to Hawaii next week to relax for a few days. "My lowest time was 4.27 and the highest 4.40 or 4.41, so they liked the consistency."

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/0 ... ory02.html
"I've done everything I can, so now I kind of wait and see," said Grice-Mullins, who added he will come to Hawaii next week to relax for a few days. "My lowest time was 4.27 and the highest 4.40 or 4.41, so they liked the consistency."
The former Hawaii slotback covered 40 yards in 4.33 seconds yesterday at UH's pro timing day in Carson, Calif. It makes him among the fastest documented receivers available to be drafted into the NFL later this month.
Another scout said the 4.33 time is legit.

"A couple guys actually had him at 4.27. I had him at 4.36 and 4.38," said the scout, who added that the track was fast, and the times would convert to around 4.45 to 4.47 on grass.
IMHO he did not look super fast with the Lions last year. A guy like Tony Simmons did look super fast and was that fast. More important than pure speed is getting open, making the tough catch, running after the catch, etc.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Grice-Mullen's speed makes him a prospect

Mike Beamish Vancouver Sun

Friday, September 12, 2008

With a sense of style somewhere between Manny Ramirez and Bob Marley, dreadlocked receiver Ryan Grice-Mullen has a champion in Roy Shivers, the Lions player personnel director who is something of a renegade himself.

Shivers, who arrived at Lions camp Thursday from his home base in Las Vegas, believes that the quick squirrelly slotback who had 106 catches with the University of Hawaii last year is a prospect with promise.

"He was on Winnipeg's neg list, but Neil [player personnel coordinator Neil McEvoy] worked a deal with them to get him on ours," Shivers said. "He can catch the ball and he can run with it. He's got speed."

And youth. Grice-Mullen, who turns 22 today, is the youngest player on the Lions roster. By rights, he should be starting his senior year in college this fall. He declared for the 2008 NFL draft, however, following his junior season with the Warriors in which he played the inside receiver position opposite Davone Bess. The pair was part of a four-receiver set affectionately dubbed "The Dread Heads" because of their Rastafarian locks.

Grice-Mullen believed his catch yardage (1,372), touchdown totals (13) and pre-draft grades would result in him being selected.

To his dismay, he went undrafted, signed with the Houston Texans as a free agent, then got released after he injured his hamstring in mini-camp. He caught on with the Chicago Bears in July and was again released last month.

"I didn't want to wait around hoping to get picked up by another NFL team. I wanted to play ball," Grice-Mullen said of his reasons for coming to Canada. "I did all I could do in college. My stats last year were good. Would it really make a difference if I went back for my senior year? It was just unfortunate I didn't get drafted. It was a total shock."

Grice-Mullen's quarterback at Hawaii, Colt Brennan, was drafted by the Washington Redskins this year after a career in which he threw for an NCAA-record 131 touchdowns, breaking the previous career record held by Brigham Young's Ty Detmer. Grice-Mullen caught Brennan's record-setting 122nd TD pass in a game against 17th-ranked Boise State en route to a dream season for the Warriors. Hawaii (12-0) went undefeated for the first time to win the WAC championship before the 10th-ranked Warriors lost to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

"Ryan has the ability to take five-yard routes and turn them into 60-yardtouchdowns in a flash," Brennan said of Grice-Mullen, who was timed at 4.3 for the 40-yard dash on Pro Day.

This week, CFL teams are permitted to increase their practice rosters from a maximum seven players to 12, a relaxation of the restriction that will be in effect until Oct. 7. So far, though, the Lions have only been able to attract Grice-Mullen and O'Neil Wilson, a Canadian receiver who formerly played with Winnipeg and Montreal, to the practice roster.

"Most [NFL] guys who get cut now are still hanging around," Shivers says.
http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/new ... 5897395754

After his relatively quiet debut with the Lions last year, he is one of the top prospects to make an impact as that speed receiver this year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q&A with Hawaii WR Ryan Grice-Mullen

We recently caught up with Hawaii WR Ryan Grice-Mullen, a player likely to draw consideration on the draft’s second day. One of the most prolific receivers in college football in 2007, Grice-Mullen caught 106 passes for 1,372 yards and 12 TDs for the high-powered Hawaii offense. The 5-10, 187-pound Grice-Mullen declared for the NFL Draft after his junior season.

A native of Rialto, Calif., Grice-Mullen was getting some much-needed rest and relaxation in Hawaii last week when he chatted with PFW.

PFW: It has to be nice to be done with all of the pre-draft preparation.

Grice-Mullen: Man, you nailed it right on the dot. It’s been a long, stressful process the last three months. It is good to know that, ‘OK, I’ve done all I can do.’

PFW: Wanted to ask you about your health. I had read you missed part of your pro-day workout because of cramping.

Grice-Mullen: I tweaked my (right) hamstring a little bit. It is more like a strain. I was running a lot of routes back-to-back. … I am good to go now. I am just thankful it is minor. I’m glad I was able to run my 40. (Editor’s note: Grice-Mullin was reportedly clocked in the 4.33 range at the pro day.)

PFW: Having spent four years at Hawaii, and knowing that many folks have never been out there, what do you tell people about life there? What misconceptions do you have to clear up?

Grice-Mullen: Basically I tell people that Hawaii is a bunch of grass, a lot sun, sand and waves. But I also tell them that it is bigger that most cities. People don’t live in grass huts. It’s a normal place like everywhere else. I tell people it’s like everywhere else, but with better weather.

PFW: Sticking with the subject of misconceptions: What did you enter the pre-draft process trying to prove to coaches and scouts?

Grice-Mullen: I really think the biggest thing was speed. That was the biggest knock on me. Of course, there is also, ‘He’s another Hawaii (system) receiver.’ … You know what? I’m still trying to figure that out. (Some draft materials) had me listed as a 4.55. Well, the last time I ran a 4.55 was when I was a sophomore in high school.

If you look at my yards-after-catch and my (tape), just the catches and the routes I run, you would understand that, ‘Ok, this guy isn’t just (producing) because of the (run-and-shoot) system.’

PFW: Rookies often have to earn their keep on special teams early in their career. What do you bring to the table in that regard?

Grice-Mullen: I think I’ll be able to help a team big in that. … I never even played receiver until I went to college. I was a defensive player and a running back. And Coach Jones, from watching me practice, said I was a playmaker.

PFW: Do you have any expectations or ideas as to where you will be drafted?

Grice-Mullen: “I really don’t know. I try not to think about that stuff. I try to stay mellow. A lot of things can happen.”

PFW: Where are you spending draft weekend?

Grice-Mullen: I’m going to be at home, with my parents (in Ontario, Calif.).

PFW: Who’s going to be more excited — your mom or dad?

Grice-Mullen: Definitely my mom. She’s been my biggest fan since I picked up a ball.

Tags:2008 NFL Draft Hawaii Ryan Grice-Mullen
http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/N ... icemu.html

from April 2008 prior to the 2008 NFL draft ...

The Lions are bringing in a lot of new receivers to Training Camp, looking for that deep-threat complement to Geroy Simon. The right guy might be the one who joined the team last year ...

We will see.
David
Team Captain

RGM reminds me a bit of a former Lion Larry Highbaugh. He was a small-ish speed burning receiver too who joined the Leos part way through the 1971 season on a 5 day trial (he ended up replacing flanker John Love whom we cut). Unfortunately, he was never properly used by head coach Eagle Keys and eventually found his way to the Eskimos. For those not familiar, Larry Highbaugh went on to become a Hall Of Fame DB in Edmonton.

Let's hope Ryan Grice-Mullen is spared the same fate....of becoming an Eskimo!

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Can you ever forget this play? (1:47 mark):
(I love the surprise in Cuthbert's voice)

Funny story about the clip at 1:47...
Couple of months ago I wanted to time it to get his 40 speed, so i got myself a stopwatch and timed Grice-Mullen running from the 40 to the endzone.. and the stopwatch read out 3.97, 4.03, 4.02, 3.99 etc. after several trials... I'm thinking, "what in the world is going on here?"... so i try to figure this out.."40 yards?" yes... "stopwatch malfunctioning?" nope... and then the lightbulb went off... running start! (dummy)

So anyways, i'm playing madden '09 and i have a nice 60 yard catch and run with DeSean Jackson (who is rated speed 98 (out of 99) in madden, insanely fast)... and i time his 40 (yes you may be laughing, its just a video game... but the speed is legit/accurate)... and his times come up as about the same as R G-M's above... thought it was rather clever lol...
Thought i'd share that story..

R G-M has the leg up IMO, but i also am anxious to see the other recievers at camp!
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Rammer
Team Captain

Thanks for answering each remark I was going to make, interesting timing though. I actually think that Grice-Mullen excels in his first move after the catch, and if he can produce some open space his speed will prove interesting.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Thanks for answering each remark I was going to make, interesting timing though. I actually think that Grice-Mullen excels in his first move after the catch, and if he can produce some open space his speed will prove interesting.
I'm thinking he just might have the top-end speed. That would be exciting to see. He looks like he could be a good catch and run guy. We've talked about a receiver with size. If he has breakaway speed, and great run-after-catch ability, I'll settle for that, even without the great size.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:I'm thinking he just might have the top-end speed. That would be exciting to see. He looks like he could be a good catch and run guy. We've talked about a receiver with size. If he has breakaway speed, and great run-after-catch ability, I'll settle for that, even without the great size.
Yes. Also, I can see Grice-Mullen as a guy that potentially we may throw WR screens to (Jailbreak screen to the shortside of the field). To me this would be a play that would suit Grice-Mullen's style perfectly. Obviously size isnt a factor when throwing screens, and his catch and run ability (played tailback in highschool i believe) may enable us to get some long gainers from this type of play!
http://www.onlinefootballplaybook.com/j ... +Formation (Animations pretty cool :beauty: )
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Odie
Rookie

While I agree with many of the things said on this forum and think that RGM will make an interesting addition to the receiving corp this season, I find it very curious that he has not signed an extension with the team. any one else see this as interesting? It would appear that, under the current terms of his deal, that he could just as well eat the league up and then leave the lions for another team or back to the NFL leaving us in the same boat again next year. Just seems strange with so many extensions handed out this off season for him to be the only one left (aside from Lyle Green)...

What does everyone make of that?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Odie wrote:While I agree with many of the things said on this forum and think that RGM will make an interesting addition to the receiving corp this season, I find it very curious that he has not signed an extension with the team. any one else see this as interesting? It would appear that, under the current terms of his deal, that he could just as well eat the league up and then leave the lions for another team or back to the NFL leaving us in the same boat again next year. Just seems strange with so many extensions handed out this off season for him to be the only one left (aside from Lyle Green)...

Definitely a concern. I would think if he shows well in TC, and makes the team as a starter, then Wally would be looking to extend him. At that point, RGM may wish to play the NFL card, and wait for his escape window, as we have seen many times before.

For all we know, Wally may have already tried to extend him without getting RGM to sign.

It would only make sense for RGM to still be holding on to NFL ambitions, and the big buck$ that go with it.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Odie wrote:While I agree with many of the things said on this forum and think that RGM will make an interesting addition to the receiving corp this season, I find it very curious that he has not signed an extension with the team. any one else see this as interesting? It would appear that, under the current terms of his deal, that he could just as well eat the league up and then leave the lions for another team or back to the NFL leaving us in the same boat again next year. Just seems strange with so many extensions handed out this off season for him to be the only one left (aside from Lyle Green)...

Definitely a concern. I would think if he shows well in TC, and makes the team as a starter, then Wally would be looking to extend him. At that point, RGM may wish to play the NFL card, and wait for his escape window, as we have seen many times before.

For all we know, Wally may have already tried to extend him without getting RGM to sign.

It would only make sense for RGM to still be holding on to NFL ambitions, and the big buck$ that go with it.

I agree WCJ... I'd probably say with 90% confidence that Buono has already offered up an extension to RGM. It's in RGM's best interest to play out this year and see what the option window gives him.
He wont be a free agent after next season, so we won't have to worry about him leaving to another CFL team Odie.

Makes you wonder if Wally offered Logan a contract longer than the 1+1, but Logan would only sign for the 1 year and an option. I'm sure it happens a ton with young imports with potential.
JohnHenry wrote:Grice-Mullen hasn't made the team yet, and the NFL doesn't seem to be knocking down his door to get him. The Lions have signed 16 receivers for training camp, so obviously they are not sold on the existing grouping. While G-M showed some flashes, I also saw him shy away from passes over the middle where he might of got crunched. C. Rodgers and R. Skillern have shown they are willing to get there noses dirty to make a catch (though not often successfully)...perhaps a usefull commodity now that we have lost J. Clermont...and with neither Geroy or Paris being that physical of receiver.
I believe the quote from Buono after he cut Clermont was: "You have to look at the potential of a Ryan Grice-Mullen and adjust accordingly." Buono pretty much retooled the receiving structure on the team because of the play of RGM IMO (Yes, a bold statement, but one I stand behind).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One of the articles states that RGM's time of 4.33 was run on a fast track and would be the equivalent of about 4.45 to 4.47 on grass. That's fast but not as fast as Tony Simmons, who ran 4.38 on grass in Abbotsford in his first day of training camp after major knee surgery, or Jamall Lee, who ran a 4.39 at this year's CFL E-camp.

I still expect RGM to be one of the Lions' five main receivers this year but the fact he is not signed beyond this season could work against him. If another young receiver looks equally good in training camp and preseason, I would expect Wally to go with whichever one is signed to the longer contract.
Rammer
Team Captain

Just for the record, I asked Tony Simmons what the fastest 40 he had run was, he said 4.19.
Entertainment value = an all time low
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Rammer wrote:Just for the record, I asked Tony Simmons what the fastest 40 he had run was, he said 4.19.
Did he say that with a straight face?