Who will be MOP

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DYLAN
Rookie

Cameron Wake is obviously one to be considered for MOP, but after seeing the highlights from yesterdays calgary winnipeg game, and thinking about the season henry burris is having it will be interesting to see who gets it. In The east i think the only one you can look at is AC but i dont think he'll come out on top this season.
Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on this.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

VERY tough for defensive players to get MOP consideration, and if memory serves, no player on D has ever won it.

I agree with you, Calvillo and Burris, and Burris wins out.
Bosco
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote: I agree with you, Calvillo and Burris, and Burris wins out.
I think it will be a close race, but I give the edge to Calvillo over Burris - although both QB's are having monster seasons.
Blitz
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
I think it will be a close race, but I give the edge to Calvillo over Burris - although both QB's are having monster seasons.
It will likely be Burris in the West but it's a shame if it is...because this is a rare opportunity to recognize a defensive player who is very deserving....
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Bosco wrote:
It will likely be Burris in the West but it's a shame if it is...because this is a rare opportunity to recognize a defensive player who is very deserving....
Yup, Cam Wake deserves better. Maybe the Football Writers of Canada will take a turn from established norms and go with the path of more resistance; one never knows.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Bosco wrote:
I think Aaron Hunt makes a very valid point on the MOP for a D player, if not this year, when. Cam Wake is the dominating player on D across the league, time for consideration for a D player who doesn't rely upon his receiving corps to help out his stats. I am a homer though on this front, he is just that special of a player.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

This year is the anti-thesis of last year. In 2007 Kerry Joseph won the MOP partly because he did have a very good season and also because nobody else had anything close to an MOP season. I didn't think he had an MOP calibre season, but was the most outstanding player in a what was a very weak class. If Joseph replicated his 2007 performance in 2008 I don't think he even gets consideration for cracking the top 4.

This year there is a glut of worthy candidates having true MOP calibre seasons. Burris, Wake, Calvillo are getting mentions and one should not overlook Ricky Ray. He's already at 5260 yards passing with 24 TDs and has an outside shot at 6000. Calvillo is a shoe-in to be the East nominee but it's a 3 way battle of very worthy candidates for the West.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Good call, Hambone. Joseph was MOP by default perhaps because he didn't get injured as every other starting quarterback did, and therefore had more yards?

Ricky Ray could easily come up the middle, you are right.
The_Pauser
Legend

Given the stats, and AC's amazing season I think he takes it. Yes Burris is having a great year, but AC's year is just that much better.
Roar you Lions roar!
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

Oh come on everyone, you all know Casey Printers is the only MOP.
ziggy
Legend

I say we let the last game decide if it's Burris or Wake. What a great way to settle things!
The_Pauser
Legend

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:Oh come on everyone, you all know Casey Printers is the only MOP.
Mabey it will go to Casey :lol:
Roar you Lions roar!
almo89
Legend

I think if Wake beats Quick Parker's record, than he has a chance. It's gonna be tough though with only a couple of games left.
zark
Champion

Who picks??Is it us,the fans ?...or the media.I know about the centre of the universe out east.Does the media out here actually care?The CAM gets my vote.I saw the news last night.CFL came in 4th.Hockey,Junior hockey,then baseball.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Bosco
Team Captain

zark wrote:Who picks??Is it us,the fans ?...or the media.
The media from each CFL city pick the award winners following the last regular season game.