Who will be MOP

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
zark wrote:Who picks??Is it us,the fans ?...or the media.
The media from each CFL city pick the award winners following the last regular season game.
IIRC last year the selections had to be handed in prior to the final games being played. Ullrich was complaining about it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Bosco
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Bosco wrote:
zark wrote:Who picks??Is it us,the fans ?...or the media.
The media from each CFL city pick the award winners following the last regular season game.
IIRC last year the selections had to be handed in prior to the final games being played. Ullrich was complaining about it.
If that's the case, that's a poor decision making process :wag: - after all, isn't it an 18 game schedule?
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

The mop should just get a name change. Should just be called Most outstanding Offensve player of the year. Then this debate would be moot. or add an offensive player an award and keep the mop as an anyone award.

Cam is the best player in the league. AC will win because of what happened with him last year and his ressurgance this year.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Bosco wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Bosco wrote:The media from each CFL city pick the award winners following the last regular season game.
If that's the case, that's a poor decision making process :wag: - after all, isn't it an 18 game schedule?
I know it would come across as being a skewed process to do it that way. However I expect most if not all voters would have their decision made before the final week. It's highly unlikely anything that transpires in the final week would make a voter change their mind. It still would not make a whole lot of sense to make a final judgement based on those games given quite often the final games are meaningless for one of the teams if not both.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Hambone wrote:This year is the anti-thesis of last year. In 2007 Kerry Joseph won the MOP partly because he did have a very good season and also because nobody else had anything close to an MOP season.
Joe Smith.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I have to give the nod to AC as the sentimental favourite. AC is having a career year, approaching an all-time TD record and 6,000 yds. He has fought back this season after being forced to miss much of last year due to his wife's serious illness. Also the GC is in Mtl, so this would guarantee some local flavour at the ceremonies even if Mtl doesn't make it to the big game.

While Cam is a dominating player, most nights his outstanding play might have less effect on the outcome of the game compared to a QB's outstanding play. If a defender can be nullified by a double-team, you rarely hear his name. He may be outstanding player if he could get by his blockers, but it's the QB who'll win you the game. I guess that's why they invented the Outstanding Defensive Player Award!
:beer:
JH: That post pretty much sums up why QBs and offensive players have dominated the MOP selections. Wake can be the best player EVER in the CFL but if our QBs are no good, who cares and definitely not the voters.

What Wake has got going for him is he is head and shoulders above any defensive player since James Quick Parker was at the top of his game - at least that I can recall of the top of my head. What Cavillo has going for him is in JH's post - second sentence. The GC in Montreal might influence a few voters views just like the sureness of Wake leaving the CFL will justify others leaving Wake off their final selection. The other factor in all this is Henry Burris and his performance. This is the best I've seen him play. No blaming of the play calling, no long slumps - just good steady play that is helping his team win. Will he be at the wire in the vote tallies given how Calgary is playing?

I couldn't make a safe prediction at this point but I'd be happy with any of those choices if the votes were counted tomorrow.

I think a case can be made for any of those 3 guys with Cavillo with the edge in early betting.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I have to give the nod to AC as the sentimental favourite. AC is having a career year, approaching an all-time TD record and 6,000 yds. He has fought back this season after being forced to miss much of last year due to his wife's serious illness. Also the GC is in Mtl, so this would guarantee some local flavour at the ceremonies even if Mtl doesn't make it to the big game.

While Cam is a dominating player, most nights his outstanding play might have less effect on the outcome of the game compared to a QB's outstanding play. If a defender can be nullified by a double-team, you rarely hear his name. He may be outstanding player if he could get by his blockers, but it's the QB who'll win you the game. I guess that's why they invented the Outstanding Defensive Player Award!
:beer:
I agree completely. Wake might be the Lions' MOP. I don't know whether he would beat Burris for West nominee. Burris would likely have won last year's award if he didn't get hurt. Calvillo would be my choice for for this year's league MOP.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:Oh come on everyone, you all know Casey Printers is the only MOP.
Has Firstdownchimpy120 morphed again ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cameron Wake deserves the award but won't win it.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Wake can make a last minute push here if he performs well in the last three games and breaks Parker's record.

But going up against Calgyra (who schemes well against the Lions by using Tight Ends to block) and Toronto (who stymied him last time) make that unlikely.

Surely, AC will be the nominee from the East.

I'm with Hambone, though. Ricky Ray infuriates me the most as a Lions fan because of how good he is. I'd give him the nod over the hot and cold Burris (and AC, for that matter).
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

gotta to be ricky ray, he leading the esks to another last place finish in the west? I think the will give it to burris as long as the votes are in before he chokes against the lions in the western final!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I'm pulling for burris. He's had a pretty good year. After that Calvillo.. I don't know why but I kinda like the guy. Sort of like a more consistant version of Allen without the timecounts. Man I miss those timecounts.
jagger13
prospect

Ricky Ray is a much more accurate passer and very elusive target to sack. Until Burris plays better and stops making bad decisions at cricial times he will never live up to the ability he has. No one has consistanly shredded the lions D like mr. Ray.....too bad the lions did'nt knock him around a little more last game.....hopefully he won't be coming here for the western semi...much rather see sask
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:
VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:Oh come on everyone, you all know Casey Printers is the only MOP.
Has Firstdownchimpy120 morphed again ?
No he hasn't I just had my tongue firmly planted in cheek.