2008 SEASON OPENER: Lions/Stamps Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

2007 head-to-head
BC 32 Calgary 27
BC 45 Calgary 45
BC 42 Calgary 9

game time forecast: partly cloudy 17C, 20 percent chance of rain. wind 10 km/h

Big test for Mike Benevides in his debut as Lions defensive coordinator. The Lions defence was horrendous in their last visit to McMahon. Burris is at his best when he is rolling out and is a threat to run or throw. How much heat do the Lions bring and are they content using 6 DBs most of the night?
As LU mentioned today, Corey Banks needs to bring his “A” game. How well Tyrone Williams holds up could be another key factor.

Stamps have just two starters back from last year’s defence as well as a new coordinator. It will take time to create some cohesiveness. That said, the Lions owned Creehan’s “30” look for the last three seasons so any kind of change has to be a good thing.

Lions haven’t lost a regular season opener since 2004. Hope I am wrong, but I think they are due:

Stamps 31
Lions 27
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Stamps have just two starters back from last year’s defensive as well as a new coordinator. It will take time to create some cohesiveness.
Is it two starters returning to the D backfield or two returnees to the entire D ? If it is the later then it will take a lot more than 2 pre season games to get cohesiveness even if there is a very big upgrade in talent. Lions should be big favorites.
Spud387
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:Lions haven’t lost a regular season opener since 2004. Hope I am wrong, but I think they are due:

Stamps 31
Lions 27
Blasphemy! burn him at the stake!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Here We Go Leos!!!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
RoarLionsRoar
Rookie

Is Gibbs healthy and starting tonight in place of Ty Williams?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I expect the Stamps will come out with alot of new formations and trick plays to confuse the Lions defence.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

RoarLionsRoar wrote:Is Gibbs healthy and starting tonight in place of Ty Williams?
According to LU, Williams is starting. Gibbs is on the reserve list with Logan, Stith, and Nicolson. Nicolson is a bit of a surprise. I thought it would be Plante.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Calgary - new coach, new D = sale ole result

Lions 46

Stamps 29
Disturber
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:I expect the Stamps will come out with alot of new formations and trick plays to confuse the Lions defence.
That would worry me if it wasn't for the fact that we have Brent Johnson
Go Lions!
lion24
Legend

This will certainly be a test of the pass defence as I thought the Lions gave up a few too many big passing plays last year and we will see if they can tighten that up a bit. On offence it will interesting to see how Buck can come back from a tough season last year( due to injuries) and I would love to see Logan get some touches and see what he can do :beauty:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blitz
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:This will certainly be a test of the pass defence as I thought the Lions gave up a few too many big passing plays last year and we will see if they can tighten that up a bit. On offence it will interesting to see how Buck can come back from a tough season last year( due to injuries) and I would love to see Logan get some touches and see what he can do :beauty:
I'd love to see Logan get some touches too! I also hope we establish the running attack as well as passing the football. Calgary is still using a 3-4 defense, which is a purrfect defense to run against out of a two back set.

I hope Buck gets off to a good start...he's usually on his game early but he hasn't started a regular season game for a long time so he may have a bit of rust to knock off. The good thing is that Buck is a very good possession style quarterback and some easy high percentage passes is the way to go.

It was interesting to read Armour's quotes in the Vancouver Sun today.....

Armouur said "I always find Jarious a more difficult quarterback to play against than Buck," Armour says. "I've seen his capabilities. He can throw a helluva deep ball, and he can throw deep on the run. Buck can nickel-and-dime you, but he can't beat you deep. That's what makes Jarious a unique quarterback. Armour says Buono has a great ability to tap into a player's psyche, and the coach's decision to relegate Jackson to No. 2 could light a fire under him" (Vancouver Sun)

I don't think that was what Wally's decision was based upon. I really think there is a very good chance that we'll see Buck go all the way in this one...and hopefully we'll start the season with a "W"

Jamal Johnson is out...so we'll also get a good look at Goodwell at linebacker!!

I
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
lion24
Legend

I would sure like to see Jamal Johnson stay injury free as we have seen glimpses of his talent but have not really seen him play over an extended period. I guess the newcomer to look for on defence would be Myles? and a little more playing time from Crawford :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Lions33
Starter

i wonder what stefan logan will do? What is role will be...
lion24
Legend

Lions33 wrote:i wonder what stefan logan will do? What is role will be...
That is a bit of the problem with Smart and Smith at RB and Smart as a returner but with his talent I am sure Wally will get him some looks. I don't know what kind of hands he has but MABEY they could even line him up at receiver for certain offensive packages?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Lions33 wrote:i wonder what stefan logan will do? What is role will be...
That is a bit of the problem with Smart and Smith at RB and Smart as a returner but with his talent I am sure Wally will get him some looks. I don't know what kind of hands he has but MABEY they could even line him up at receiver for certain offensive packages?
I think Wally will work Logan in slowly, but I would hope we see him on returns at least part of the time. Maybe a good chance to try 2 returners with a bit of razzle dazzle.