Damon Allen To Retire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:For some reason, when I picture him, I see him first in Ottawa uniform.
Damon Allen had a decent three seasons from 1989-91 as an Ottawa Rough Rider. During the 1991 season, Allen rushed for a career-high 1,036 yards and 8 touchdowns in 18 games, and passed for a then career-high 4,275 yards with 25 touchdowns. Unfortunately, his play was overshadowed by the bad Rough Riders team.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
ziggy
Legend

He might not be totally gone, sounds like he is kind of hoping to come in as a relief player for Hamilton or TO if they run into injury problems.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In retrospect, do you know who should be really grateful to Damon Allen? I'd say it was this man who was responsible for making him into a great superstar that he was. If it wasn't for this man, Allen may never have achieved the same amount of fame that he did. And unfortunately, Allen's fame came at the expense of Matt Dunigan. Allen should invite him if he holds a farewell party.

This man later turned into a professional wrestler: Glen Kulka

ImageImage
ImageImage

You may remember that in the 1987 Grey Cup game, early in the second quarter, Matt Dunigan was severely injured. That paved the way for Damon Allen with his MVP performance. For many die-hard Eskimo fans, the memory of Dunigan's body and head colliding off the unforgiving turf of BC Place, the subsequent fumble and return by Doug "Tank" Landry is the picture that won't go away. Dunigan suffered an injury on the play and didn't return.

From Dunigan's own words: "It was a concussion. Kulka put a forearm across my chest and slammed me to the ground. When Glen hit me there was no way that I could go out there and do the things I was required to do as a leader and a quarterback. Unlike getting your bell rung, you can't play through a concussion."
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Bosco
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Total Number of Seasons with his Team
1) 7 seasons - BC Lions
2) 6 seasons - Edmonton Eskimos
3) 5 seasons - Toronto Argonauts
From what I've read, I believe Allen still has bitterness towards the Lions organization and the way he was released in 2003. Come HOF time, I think that HE would like to be remembered as an Argo.

Allen had success / Grey Cups with the Eskimos, Lions and Argos - but IMHO, I think that he felt shunned when the Buono / Dickenson era took over.
Rammer
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
Robbie wrote:Total Number of Seasons with his Team
1) 7 seasons - BC Lions
2) 6 seasons - Edmonton Eskimos
3) 5 seasons - Toronto Argonauts
From what I've read, I believe Allen still has bitterness towards the Lions organization and the way he was released in 2003. Come HOF time, I think that HE would like to be remembered as an Argo.

Allen had success / Grey Cups with the Eskimos, Lions and Argos - but IMHO, I think that he felt shunned when the Buono / Dickenson era took over.
Add to that the controversy that Caravatta piled on Damon Allen during his tenure as a backup QB and I am sure that he isn't enamored with the Lions organization. Guilio called out Damon Allen as not being a QB to help mentor his backups, Allen took huge exception to that and wanted to confront him about it, from what IR.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

When I look back at Damon Allen's career with the Lions, 3 things stands out in my mind: numerous time count violations that killed drives, the fumble against Calgary in the Western Conference Final late in the game and his sitting in the corner with his family at one of the Lions preseason party for season ticket holders at the Expo grounds. While players such as Mike Trevathan, Matt Clarke and others were mingling with the fans, signing autographs etc, Allen remained with his family which may explain why he did not enamored himself to the fans of Vancouver.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Allen had success / Grey Cups with the Eskimos, Lions and Argos - but IMHO, I think that he felt shunned when the Buono / Dickenson era took over.
I don't blame him as the Lions signed Allen to an extension, only to quickly trade him. :shock:

It's unfortunate that his final game was a terrible one when the Winnipeg Blue Bombers easily dispatched the BC Lions in the 2002 WDSF.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Damon Allen - the family man?

Damon Allen cradles son Airus, who's grabbing the cap of Allen's grandson Justice; from left, daughters Amanda, Ateya, Alyssa and wife Desiree.

http://www.thestar.com/article/226094

------------------
Damon Allen's other team comes first

'There's a much bigger role for men than just being a breadwinner'
ARGO QB DAMON ALLEN He's faced challenges as a player and as a father, but the QB has a key anchor in his life: his family

Jun 16, 2007 04:30 AM
Mary Ormsby
Sports Reporter

The basic measure of a quarterback is in yards thrown and Damon Allen has been more successful at that than anyone in professional football.

But the true measure of this man is best calculated by those who wait for the Toronto Argonauts quarterback at his Oakville home: four children, a grandson, his college sweetheart wife. His family has been his anchor, his bliss, ever since the Californian's dual careers of football and fatherhood became entwined upon landing in Edmonton as a CFL rookie 23 seasons ago.

"I don't know if I'm the greatest dad," the 43-year-old said quietly, picking at pasta and salad between training camp sessions this week. "I always think I can do better, I can do more."

Fatherhood has crept into a third decade for Allen. His eldest daughter, Amanda, 22, has finished school and is pursuing work in the fashion industry while his son, just 7 months old, has pro football's most prolific passer looking downfield for diapers and wipes instead of receivers.

However, Allen's assertion that he "can do better" as a father is not a conclusion drawn from paternal deficits, says wife Desiree, but rather, a mindset borne of continually striving to do what's right. And it hasn't been without familial challenges. Between the giddiness of Allen's Grey Cup championships, all-star awards and record-setting performances were teenage pregnancies, a separation and the trauma of moving a large family whenever daddy changed teams. Through the most difficult times, Desiree said her husband remained focused on solutions, not impediments.

"He's really good about the way he handles things," said Desiree, while cuddling cooing son Airus.

"He doesn't really get uptight; you almost forget there is such stress on him because he kind of internalizes a lot of it and just doesn't show he's stressed out. And it's probably one of the reasons he's endured in the CFL."

Another reason is Desiree.

She was a whip-smart 16-year-old attending Mount San Antonio College in southern California when she met Allen. He was at Cal State Fullerton, a two-sport star in baseball and football, just 19 years old, and lodging with his aunt. The aunt took him to St. Stephen's Baptist Church, where he first spotted Desiree, meeting her shortly after when a friend introduced them.

"There were a lot of dynamics in play when I first met her," Allen recalled. "She was well-spoken, she was a (Christian) believer, she was beautiful – she's still beautiful today – and it was just her heart. She was a young college student figuring out what she wanted to become; she was a breath of fresh air."

She was also patient. It took him two weeks to call her after they spoke at the party. Then, he phoned at 11 p.m. and Desiree scolded him for calling so late. Allen's first visit to Desiree's home caused a stir too – for wearing a T-shirt borrowed from a friend who worked for a mattress company. The bold slogan on the front: I Sleep With The Best.

"I think I had way more manners than that, but I just wasn't thinking," he said, laughing sheepishly. "She let me know (it was inappropriate). I realized at that moment I had a lot to learn, too."

Their young romance became steady quickly, but was in crisis when, at 18, Desiree became pregnant.

"We were scared to death, the both of us," Desiree said. "I wasn't afraid of taking care of a baby but I was scared my life was going to go in a different way than I'd hoped."

As for Allen, she said he "stepped up to the plate" right away. He earned $2,500 (all figures U.S.) as part of the winning Senior Bowl team and gave $2,000 to Desiree. That was typical of his involvement, which was enormous relief to her and her parents, she said.

"I also knew I could live with her the rest of my life, even though we weren't married," Allen said.

The young athlete, however, had other matters on his mind, too. The Detroit Tigers drafted him to pitch. The Edmonton Eskimos wanted to sign him as a free agent. He was intrigued by the NFL, in which his running back brother Marcus was a superstar. Whatever sport he followed, he had decided to leave his girlfriend and their baby behind.

"I don't think, at times, I handled certain things properly. If I could do it all again, I would have taken them with me from day one," said Allen, who earned an Eskimo signing bonus worth nearly $100,000 in '85.

"The unfortunate thing in our society is young men grow up with the notion that we have to take care of our responsibilities ... but there's a much bigger role for men than just being a breadwinner and a provider. There's a lot more attached to both parents; we have to be superheroes to be able to handle the role of a parent."

He and Desiree were growing into parental roles when, in 1986, the family moved to Edmonton. But marriage wasn't materializing. Allen was in no hurry to wed, which upset Desiree."The fear started to set in that this was too comfortable and it was going to stay like this and I didn't necessarily want that," she said. "I decided I better safeguard my situation for my daughter's sake."

Desiree took Amanda back to California for all of 1988, returning to school and landing a good job at American Airlines. The couple kept in touch, not really splitting up but not making plans for a future together, either.

Allen described the loneliest year of his life as his "wake-up call."

With the Eskimos, he'd played only 10 games due to injuries. Desolate, on crutches with Christmas nearing, Allen flew to Los Angeles without telling Desiree and bought a ring. The next day, when she arrived home at midnight from her American Airlines shift and opened the door, Allen was standing there. He immediately got down on one knee and proposed. They were married in 1989, the same year Allen became an Ottawa Rough Rider.

And the family grew. Alyssa was a training camp baby, born in Ottawa in 1990. Ateya became a B.C. Lions baby during the 1997 playoffs.

Then came Justice.

The Allens had spent seven years in Vancouver where it "felt more like home than California," said Desiree. The girls were rooted, everyone was happy. And it was in Vancouver when Amanda shared a secret: she was pregnant.

"We cried. We were sad for her and we thought we'd prepared her better than we'd been prepared, but things happen," Desiree said softly of her and Allen's initial reaction.

However, deep Christian beliefs had always been the Allens' solace and inspiration. They were active in their church and Desiree, by chance, was halfway through a teen pregnancy counselling course when she learned their 17-year-old was expecting. Also by coincidence, she and Allen left for a long-planned Christian marriage retreat the day after discovering they'd be grandparents.

"If I didn't go on that retreat, I'm pretty sure I would have been upset and would have dealt with it much differently,'' said Allen.

"So I said to the Lord: `You called me to deal with teen pregnancy, so with that, there's a responsibility.' We told our daughter, `It's an uphill battle for you but we're going to walk up that hill with you.'"

When Allen was traded to the Argonauts in 2003, he and Desiree were touched – and relieved – that Amanda chose to move with them.

"I've always believed that God's love for each one of his children is unconditional love. So when it comes to my kids, I have unconditional love for them so it doesn't matter what they do – they are going to make mistakes," he said. "And now, I can't imagine not having Justice in my life."

Or Airus, whose pending arrival put the Allens "in shock for the first four or five months" in having a child who is younger than their grandson.

"We always felt we were going to have four kids and we didn't know it was going to be in the form of my child having it – we've always said the Lord has a sense of humour," said Allen, chuckling. "But the Lord held true to his promises and gave us a son."

And one more reason to celebrate fatherhood.

Even during a gruelling training camp, Allen tries to slip home from Mississauga every second night to see his children. It's usually so late they're asleep, but no matter – he gives them all quick good-night kisses, lies in his own bed for a few hours and is gone before most awake by 7 a.m.

Then daddy becomes No. 9 for the rest of the day.
祝你龍年行大運。
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Most Frustrating Player Award.

Never cared for him here..........always thought he was a me first guy.

But the 109 pass to AJ was as sweet as it gets.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Thoughts on Damon Allen from several others:

http://www.argonauts.ca/Argos/News/2008 ... _08-1.html

FAMILY

DESIREE ALLEN
Damon Allen’s Wife

"We were fresh-faced Americans when we arrived in Canada so many years ago, not knowing what to expect from this new opportunity in a country we knew little about. But it didn't take long for us to feel accepted and welcomed by people. We've had some awesome times and made some fantastic life-long friends from the West to the East. Raising our family as Canadians is our choice due to the love we've been shown. Football has been our family’s life. Watching Damon and supporting him through ups and downs has been exhilarating. Thanks for the awesome ride and for allowing him to achieve such amazing heights in his career. We are looking forward to what God has in store for our family with great anticipation while continuing to make this beautiful country our home.”

MARCUS ALLEN
Damon Allen’s Brother
Pro Football Hall of Fame Running Back

“First and more importantly as a brother, I am extremely proud of Damon and his accomplishments. He went in his own direction, doing things his way. When you have a younger brother who writes his own history, who has defined himself and who has forged his name in the record books, it’s an honour, a privilege, gratifying and inspirational to be his brother. As an athlete talking about another athlete, I’ve marveled at what he has been able to accomplish. Damon and I have talked about how if you want people to remember your name 100 years from now, you have to be extraordinary and Damon has been beyond extraordinary. He has been a credit to the game by how he has conducted himself, a true professional with great sportsmanship, and as far as his athletic prowess and the numbers he has been able to accumulate, these will stand for a long, long time. I am so proud of him on these two levels. I couldn’t be more proud of what he’s done and the person he is. Knowing Damon, whatever he embarks upon next will be pursued with the same passion, respect and love that is necessary for greatness.”

CFL EXECUTIVES

HUGH CAMPBELL
Long-time CFL Executive (Edmonton Eskimos)

“When Damon was a senior at Fullerton he had to decide between pro baseball and pro football. The CFL would be something different, something less, had he not come our way. Damon has all the attributes that coaches look for in a quarterback: athletic ability, intelligence and leadership. If I was forced to just name one characteristic that stands out about Damon it would be that he is a class act in every situation, whether it be a backup quarterback, starting quarterback, winning or losing. He is just a great person.

Anybody who has ever spent even a half an hour of time with his mother and his father would never be surprised at Damon’s personality and character.”

MICHAEL CLEMONS
Toronto Argonauts CEO

“Empirical evidence overwhelmingly confirms that Damon is the most prolific player in pro football history. To run for almost 12,000 yards makes him one the best rushers ever; to pass for a world record 72,381 yards makes him arguably the best passer. To do both and win four championships makes him iconic. While he captured the hearts of fans across the land, donning six different jerseys, I believe the Double Blue best defines his legend. At forty years old, he punctuated the return to prominence of the world's most storied football team with a Grey Cup victory and MVP. And as an Argonaut the following year, he was the league's Most Outstanding Player at an amazing 41 years old. Brett Favre may very well be the second best quarterback to retire this year!!!”

MARK COHON
CFL Commissioner

“For more than two decades, Damon Allen has been a leader, a champion and an ambassador for our league. Even more impressive than the many records he holds are the memories and inspirations he has left with our fans from across the country. The CFL's rich history is decorated with his story, a story that will live far beyond his career. On behalf of the CFL, congratulations and we hope you will continue to be involved with our game for many years to come.”

ADAM RITA
Toronto Argonauts GM/Vice President, Football Operations

“Damon is one of the better athletes to have played the quarterback position in the history of CFL football. I had the pleasure of coaching him, and winning several Grey Cups with him. It’s a real pleasure to say that I have coached Damon Allen. He’s a wonderful player and, perhaps more importantly, a wonderful family man.”

PLAYERS

HENRY BURRIS
Quarterback, Calgary Stampeders

“Damon has always been one of the guys I’ve looked up to. He’s a pioneer of the game and one of the more blessed quarterbacks to ever play the game – at any level or any league. He’ll always be a legend in my mind. He helped break the colour barrier and created a new image for the black quarterback.

An amazing thing about Damon is that he proved he could win both early in his career and late in his career. When he was young, he was successful running, and then as he got older he became a very good passing quarterback.”

TRACY HAM
Former CFL Quarterback (Edmonton, Toronto, Baltimore, Montreal)
First CFL QB to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 4,000 yards in a single-season

“I was Damon’s rookie in 1987 in Edmonton. He took me under his wing and showed me a lot. He set the tempo for the early part of my career and it’s something I’ll never forget. I like to say that Damon had one more gene than the rest of us. He was always so calm in the clutch – he did everything big in the playoffs. I remember, the night before his Grey Cup appearance with B.C. in 2000, I went for dinner with Damon and Marcus and D.A. was so relaxed. He will go down as the greatest quarterback in CFL history, no question in my mind - the numbers don’t lie. Learning from him, playing with him and playing against him, you get to see the man from all angles – he has and does it all.”

ALFRED JACKSON
Former CFL Receiver (Winnipeg, B.C., Toronto)
On the receiving end of the longest pass in Allen’s career, 109 yards

“The one thing I’ll always remember about Damon is that he was more than a just a teammate and friend. He was a great father, a great husband and he truly loves his family. His presence on the football field was amazing. He was a soldier. He played through injuries and he was a leader in every sense of the word. I’m so grateful and thankful that I had an opportunity to play with an athlete of his calibre. Damon is known all over North America, and to understand that you can spend time with him away from the field is something I will cherish and never forget. Damon, it was my pleasure. You had a great career and you are a true hall of famer, congratulations.”

ALONDRA JOHNSON
Former CFL Linebacker (B.C., Calgary, Saskatchewan)
CFL’s second-leading tackler all-time

“Damon was a great warrior on the field. I always respected him as a competitor. He brought out the best in me and a lot of other players. The thing that you see in Damon’s eyes, and you don’t always see in others, is determination to be a winner. Congratulations on a tremendous career, for you will always be a true warrior.”

DANNY MCMANUS
Former CFL Quarterback (Winnipeg, B.C., Edmonton, Hamilton, Calgary)
Member of the 50,000 Yard Club

“When one mentions the name Damon Allen, those around immediately identify with the CFL. He has been an ambassador for the game, not only for what he’s done on the football field but also what he has done in the community. He personifies the quarterback position and every quarterback who has come since has measured their career against his. Be it numerous achievements, the good times and the bad times, victories and defeats – he’s always handled himself with class. I’ve always tried to model myself and my career after his conduct both on and off the field.”

COLLEGE DAYS

STEVE MARIUCCI
Damon’s coach at Cal State Fullerton
Former NFL Head Coach, now NFL Analyst

“I remember when we recruited Damon from Lincoln High School to play at Cal State Fullerton. He weighed all of 149 pounds. Damon soon made a name for himself; he was no longer ‘Marcus’ brother’. Not only did Damon excel in the CFL, he chose to stay there despite having the ability to play in the National Football League. He loves living in Canada, making his home there and raising his family there - now that’s loyalty! There’s no doubt in my mind that someday Damon Allen should be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Damon, I’m really proud of you. Not only because of your statistics and accomplishments, but because you’re a great husband, father and man of integrity.”

GENE MURPHY
Damon’s coach at Cal State Fullerton

“There is no doubt in my mind, old timers or otherwise, that Damon is/was the best quarterback in the history of North American professional football. America’s loss is Canada’s gain.

I was a guest coach in the CFL for the Saskatchewan Roughriders when I was an assistant coach for the University of North Dakota in the 1970's. Ron Lancaster was at his peak in Regina. I never thought in my wildest imagination that I would ever see anyone come close to reaching Ron’s level of proficiency, and then I met Damon. I was the Head Coach at Cal State Fullerton and we recruited this 6 foot, ‘a-buck forty’ passer from Lincoln High and my thinking about the quarterback position, and Ronnie, changed forever. Damon had a god-given innate ability. He possessed: hand-eye coordination, quick twitch muscles, explosive strength, a big-time pain threshold, acceleration, durability, and a sixth sense to stay out of harms way. I watched him emerge from the "slight" 6-foot, 17-year old to the greatest passer in the history of football.

As good as he was as an athlete and quarterback, he is that and MORE as a husband, father and friend. Sometimes we walk among giants and heroes and have no idea. Not this time.”
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:Most Frustrating Player Award.

Never cared for him here..........always thought he was a me first guy.

But the 109 pass to AJ was as sweet as it gets.

Ditto
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:Never cared for him here
TheLionKing wrote:the fumble against Calgary in the Western Conference Final late in the game
LK and LG, several times before you stated very clearly that the two despised former BC Lions are Damon Allen along with Jacques Chapdelaine. And it seems like your biggest complaint involve a single play for both players: Allen’s fumble in the 1999 WDF and Chapdelaine’s missed catch in the 1983 Grey Cup. You are entitled to your opinion for those two players and it is definitely your prerogative. But what are your thoughts, relatively speaking, to other players may, on the one hand, delivered excitement but on the other hand, did not lead to the ultimate goal of a Grey Cup.

What exactly are your thoughts about the fact that Damon Allen and the 2000 Grey Cup? Are you taking that granted, and would you have sacrificed and expended the 2000 Grey Cup with another quarterback who may not have got the silver trophy? Would you want the Lions to have just four instead of five banners indicating they’ve won five championships? Allen fumbled the 1999 WDF, but mistakes happen and the best thing is to redeem themselves with a good performance in the future, and I’d say he definitely made a great performance in the 2000 WDF. As for Chapdelaine, I know about the missed play but as a coach, despite his many criticisms, perhaps he had something to do with the 2006 Grey Cup win, so at least there was somewhat redemption as well. So while the balance scale may have had several weights on one side, a Grey Cup should at least have some kind of significant weight on the other side of the scale as well.

Now, what your thoughts, relatively speaking on other players who may have been popular but also made their share of mistakes and did not really redeem themselves in the form of a Grey Cup?

For Matt Dunigan, how about his two costly interceptions in the 1988 Grey Cup, and in 1989 his Lions missed the playoffs for the first time in seven years.

For Doug Flutie, how about the fact that he couldn’t deliver in the final 1991 regular season game when he only delivered 17 points, resulting the Lions drop from 1st to 3rd place. Or when he was only mediocre in the 1990 season. And unlike Allen, Flutie was not loyal to his team as he moved to another team so he didn’t really get redemption.

For Roy Dewalt, he suffered big blowout losses in the 1986 and 1987 WDF’s.

For Dave Dickenson, his two time-count violations in the 2004 GC, along with his two long bomb attempts to Geroy Simon late in the game?

How about Casey Printers with his interception in the 2005 WDF?

How about all the Lions secondary who allowed the opponent big, detrimental long passes in the 1983 and 1988 GC, as well as the 1984, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1997, 1998, and 1999 WDF’s?

In the case of Dunigan, Flutie, and Printers, they never redeemed themselves by winning a future Grey Cup for the Lions. Now, if Allen never brought a single Grey Cup for the Lions, you may have a case and point. But the fact of the matter is, he DID manage to bring ultimate goal of a GC, which other players did not. And Allen along with Kent Austin/Danny McManus are the only quarterbacks who won the Grey Cup as their first appearance as a Lion in a Grey Cup game. Don’t they mean something? Shouldn’t we remember the positive contributions that a player has made, especially in the form of a championship?
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Which question would you like me to respond to first ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Which question would you like me to respond to first ?
Well, there's so many questions, so try to answer all of them. I'm okay with getting an essay.
祝你龍年行大運。
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Well, for me, when referring to Chapdelaine's missed catch........................................

I'm just KIDDING. :beer: :beer: :beer:

All Lions have their fair share of good times and tough times....even Lui, so for me it's all good.

I just don't appreciate the "me first" guys that's all. DA seemed like one to me; and so did (gulp) Printers.

Now excuse me while I DUCK!!!