The CFL Hall of Fame

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SJ46
Starter

There were thousands of people in Toronto for the Grey Cup but I bet very few of them made it to the CFL Hall of Fame in Hamilton. On the other hand the Hockey Hall of Fame was very busy with CFL fans visiting. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the CFL Hall of Fame in Toronto where a lot more people visit, than Hamilton? I don't have anything against Hamilton. I just think a lot more people go to Toronto and would be able to see the CFL Hall of Fame there.
SJ46
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Given Hamilton's rich CFL History, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame is in a very fitting place, IMO.

It's an 80 minute bus ride from downtown Toronto (in traffic) and a 55 minute drive, so it is not out if the way if one is in Toronto. Any Canadian Football Fan that wants to see the Canadian Football Hall of Fame can see it easily if they are in Toronto.

It might be difficult for the Hall to relocate to Toronto also, seeing as the rents downtown are prohibitive.
lion24
Legend

Solar Max wrote:Given Hamilton's rich CFL History, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame is in a very fitting place, IMO.

It's an 80 minute bus ride from downtown Toronto (in traffic) and a 55 minute drive, so it is not out if the way if one is in Toronto. Any Canadian Football Fan that wants to see the Canadian Football Hall of Fame can see it easily if they are in Toronto.

It might be difficult for the Hall to relocate to Toronto also, seeing as the rents downtown are prohibitive.
I agree, it is too easy to just stick everything in Toronto as it is the "center of the universe" :roll: :roll: To me it would be just as likely, or more fitting to have the HOF in football mad places such as Regina or Winnipeg more centrally located. That would not happen though :sigh:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Solar Max wrote:Given Hamilton's rich CFL History, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame is in a very fitting place, IMO.

I agree, it is too easy to just stick everything in Toronto as it is the "center of the universe" :roll: :roll: To me it would be just as likely, or more fitting to have the HOF in football mad places such as Regina or Winnipeg more centrally located. That would not happen though :sigh:
I don't see why the CFL needs to locate its HOF in a major media market. The NHL seems to be alone in this respect, when you consider the rather remote outposts that are home to some other prominent Halls of Fame:

NFL: Canton, OH
MLB: Cooperstown, NY
NBA: Springfield, MA
Tennis: Newport, RI
Golf: Saint Augustine, FL
Motorsports: Talladega, AL

So does this discredit Toronto's status as a self-proclaimed "world-class city", to be home to the HHOF?
:lol: :twisted: :hypno: :tease: :shock:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
lion24
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
lion24 wrote:

I don't see why the CFL needs to locate its HOF in a major media market. The NHL seems to be alone in this respect, when you consider the rather remote outposts that are home to some other prominent Halls of Fame:

So does this discredit Toronto's status as a self-proclaimed "world-class city", to be home to the HHOF?
Good points on the other HOF's being in smaller centers!! I was wondering from anyone who has been to the CFL HOF, is it a fairly big hall with a decent collection. I would love to see the HOF weekend get much more media attention with a live broadcast........TSN??
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

It is a fair sized building, but clearly underfunded. It isn't the "CFL" Hall of Fame, it's the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, which means that there are other levels of football represented.

It would be nice if it were properly financed. Having said that, the busts of players in the Hall are excellent.
lion24
Legend

Solar Max wrote:It is a fair sized building, but clearly underfunded. It isn't the "CFL" Hall of Fame, it's the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, which means that there are other levels of football represented.

It would be nice if it were properly financed. Having said that, the busts of players in the Hall are excellent.
I would like to think if Cohon would like to advance the league it may be a good idea to put some money into the hall??
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

One would think that the BoG would have more to say about financing the HOF than Cohon would. After all, it's mostly their money they'd be doling out.
lion24
Legend

Just straying a bit off topic I was wondering which BC Lions should be in the HOF in the years to come? Mervyn, Simon, etc.???
SJ46
Starter

Yes those are good points about the other HOF's being in smaller places. Maybe Hamilton is a good spot for ours. I just couldn't help but wish it was in Toronto when I was at the HHOF and saw all those Grey Cup football fans there. I didn't make the trip to Hamilton to see the Cdn Football HOF but I'd like to.
SJ46
David
Team Captain

I went to the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame a few years ago and thought it was *groan alert* a bust.

Kidding aside, I was really disappointed with our Hall. I just didn't find it that interesting. There's hardly anything to really engage the visitor and I actually found it kind of threadbare. If the Hockey Hall is the Louvre, the CFL Hall is the Haney Museum. Understandably, it has fewer exhibits and less funding behind it, but frankly, it deserves more.

David Braley has donated millions to McMaster University. I would love it if the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame might one day be the beneficiary of his generosity.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Soundy
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I don't see why the CFL needs to locate its HOF in a major media market. The NHL seems to be alone in this respect, when you consider the rather remote outposts that are home to some other prominent Halls of Fame:

Hey, and don't forget the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... in CLEVELAND??!! Now that's a remote outpost!

Frankly, I'm surprised some big-baller US owner hasn't talked Gary Bettman into moving the Hockey Hall of Fame to an American city... :bang:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:It is a fair sized building, but clearly underfunded. It isn't the "CFL" Hall of Fame, it's the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, which means that there are other levels of football represented.
It should be noted, as well, that the Hockey Hall of Fame is not an NHL-exclusive venue either.

I don't know if that applies to any of the other major leagues...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I went to the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame a few years ago and thought it was *groan alert* a bust. Kidding aside, I was really disappointed with our Hall. I just didn't find it that interesting. There's hardly anything to really engage the visitor and I actually found it kind of threadbare. If the Hockey Hall is the Louvre, the CFL Hall is the Haney Museum. Understandably, it has fewer exhibits and less funding behind it, but frankly, it deserves more.
I essentially felt the same way when I visited the Hall in August. Therefore, I think the relatively low admission price of $3.00 was fair.

The staff wasn't really knowledgable, and as I stated in this thread:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=7931

I'd say the highlight was the old Schenley trophy, but I was disappointed the former division champion trophies weren't on display. And unlike the Stanley Cup at the HHOF that is in the open and you can touch and have your picture taken with it, the Grey Cup was enclosed inside a glass showcase.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Take into account that there's always someone there, essentially watching the Stanley Cup, and there's more than 1 Cup. I presume that there's only 1 Grey Cup trophy, so I can understand why it may be encased in glass, much like the NHL trophies are.