The CFL Hall of Fame

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

swervin
Rookie

Robbie wrote:
David wrote:I went to the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame a few years ago and thought it was *groan alert* a bust. Kidding aside, I was really disappointed with our Hall. I just didn't find it that interesting. There's hardly anything to really engage the visitor and I actually found it kind of threadbare. If the Hockey Hall is the Louvre, the CFL Hall is the Haney Museum. Understandably, it has fewer exhibits and less funding behind it, but frankly, it deserves more.
I essentially felt the same way when I visited the Hall in August. Therefore, I think the relatively low admission price of $3.00 was fair.

The staff wasn't really knowledgable, and as I stated in this thread:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=7931

I'd say the highlight was the old Schenley trophy, but I was disappointed the former division champion trophies weren't on display. And unlike the Stanley Cup at the HHOF that is in the open and you can touch and have your picture taken with it, the Grey Cup was enclosed inside a glass showcase.
Actually the real Stanley Cup is enclosed in a glass case as well. The one that is out in the open is a replica. I went to the HHOF during GC week this year and saw everyone waiting to see and touch the replica, meanwhile in side room of the main chamber, there sat the original in glass with very few people paying attention to it. I thought it was kind of silly.

BTW i wanted to go to the CFHOF but it wasnt logistically possible, i guess ill have to wait until the next time Hamilton hosts the Grey Cup (whenever that may be)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Hey, and don't forget the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... in CLEVELAND??!! Now that's a remote outpost!
Cleveland. Remote. Hold on a second, I have to run out onto the lake and club a seal to death for dinner.

Ok, I'm back.

Anyway, yes. Other than the Bust room (which is really cool), the CFHOF doesn't really offer much. They do the best they can on the budget they have, which is very little, as I understand it. Incredibly nice people, however.

And while the building is big, they actually share it with (the last time I was there) a credit union and a college acting group IIRC.
Last edited by cromartie on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:It might be difficult for the Hall to relocate to Toronto also, seeing as the rents downtown are prohibitive.
There's the deal breaker right there. As Lawrence points out, there's no way the CFL could afford downtown Toronto rents.

Most museums, in fact, are money losers, big or small. Even the Hockey Hall of Fame bleeds red ink like crazy. My understanding is that the NHL subsidizes its operation substantially, and that pricey downtown Toronto location is surely part of the reason why they need to do so.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I'd say the highlight was the old Schenley trophy, but I was disappointed the former division champion trophies weren't on display.
Despite the fact that the Canadian Football Hall of Fame web page hasn't acknowledged Bob Ackles yet, it has been updated with more information. I recently sent a message to the curator asking about the former division trophies. The curator replied to me today with this message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame does have the retired James S. Dixon Trophy and Neil J. (Piffles) Taylor Trophy. However, the trophies are in storage which is why you did not see them when you toured the museum. After receiving your e-mail it has been decided that we will put the trophies on public display in the near future. If you are in the Hamilton area you are more than welcome to stop by to have a look at them. I am sorry you missed seeing them on your first visit.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Meghan Sturgeon
Curator
Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum
p: (905)528-7566
f: (905)528-9781
http://www.cfhof.ca
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My girlfriend (who is originally from Regina and therefore a Riders fan) and I are going to Toronto this weekend to visit my mother and we will also take in the Riders at Hamilton game with a pre game visit to the CFHOF.

When the Hall of Fame first opened in the 1970's I WAS IN THE HALL OF FAME AS A FAN. I don't know if it is still there, but originally as part of the entrance to the Hall there was a huge field level mural photo of the opening kick off at a Tiger-Cats game. One can clearly see fans in their seats and there I am in row 3, 35 yard line, with a co worker that I invited to share my ST seats that day.

The photo was a wide angle shot and a friend of mine at the time had front row ST seats on the other
35 yard line. My friend was chronically late to the games and sure enough the only empty seats in the entire photo are right in the front row 35 yard line. :lol:

I a very curious to see if the mural with me in my early 20's is still there.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Neat story by L Ullrich in todays Province

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 4b41ebb789

I think a BC Football Hall of Fame is a great idea!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good to see that the Canadian Football Hall of Fame has know acknowledged Ackles. :thup:

http://www.cfhof.ca/index.php?module=pa ... les,%20Bob

THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME AND MUSEUM OFFERS OUR SYMPATHIES TO THE FAMILY OF BOB ACKLES.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Therefore, I think the relatively low admission price of $3.00 was fair.
The cost of admission has just jumped from $3.00 to $7.00 + Tax! :shock:

http://www.cfhof.ca/index.php?module=page&id=11
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The induction weekend is happening right now: September 18-20, 2008 when John Bonk, Mike 'Pinball' Clemons, Doug Flutie, Mike Pringle, and Tom Shepherd are being inducted.
祝你龍年行大運。
ziggy
Legend

Maybe they should make it a priority to build a good traveling exhibit and move it into the GC city a month prior to the game. They could still have Hamilton as its permanent home, but like many big museums ,loan their display to other cities for fixed periods of time to maximize exposure??
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Soundy wrote:
Solar Max wrote:It is a fair sized building, but clearly underfunded. It isn't the "CFL" Hall of Fame, it's the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, which means that there are other levels of football represented.
It should be noted, as well, that the Hockey Hall of Fame is not an NHL-exclusive venue either.

I don't know if that applies to any of the other major leagues...
The "NFL" Hall of Fame in Canton is officially named the "Pro Football Hall of Fame" but seems very much NFL-centric. Similarly the HOF in Cooperstown is known officially as "The National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum". Cooperstown is proud to have inducted many players from the old Negro Leagues who never did get a chance to play in MLB. In 2006 they also inducted a woman, Effa Manley for her efforts in civil rights while running the Newark Eagles in the Negro Leagues from 1936 to 1948.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Thanks to ME and my letter and request to the Meghan Sturgeon, the Curator of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum, the two former division trophies are now on display at the museum. :thup:

Here are the closeup pictures of those two trophies, and their captions.
Robbie wrote:
Robbie wrote:I'd say the highlight was the old Schenley trophy, but I was disappointed the former division champion trophies weren't on display.
Despite the fact that the Canadian Football Hall of Fame web page hasn't acknowledged Bob Ackles yet, it has been updated with more information. I recently sent a message to the curator asking about the former division trophies. The curator replied to me today with this message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame does have the retired James S. Dixon Trophy and Neil J. (Piffles) Taylor Trophy. However, the trophies are in storage which is why you did not see them when you toured the museum. After receiving your e-mail it has been decided that we will put the trophies on public display in the near future. If you are in the Hamilton area you are more than welcome to stop by to have a look at them. I am sorry you missed seeing them on your first visit.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Meghan Sturgeon
Curator
Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum
p: (905)528-7566
f: (905)528-9781
http://www.cfhof.ca
The N.J. "Piffles" Taylor Memorial Trophy
The N.J. Piffles Taylor Memorial Trophy was created in 1948 and was awarded to the champions of the Western Inter-Provincial Rugby Football Union. The Trophy replaced the Hugo Ross Trophy which was awarded from 1912 to 1946. The N.J. Piffles Taylor Memorial Trophy was retired in 2004.

The James S. Dixon Trophy
The James S. Dixon Trophy was created in 1912 and was awarded to the champions of the Inter-Provincial Rugby Football Union. It continued to be awarded when the Inter-Provincial Rugby Football Union became the East Football Conference in 1960. The trophy was retired in 2004.
祝你龍年行大運。
mws
Starter

I've been to The Hall on a few occasions. It's a touch hokey and could use some sprucing up, but it's still a great place to visit. I once visited on a quiet weekday and had the run of the place. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I had the viewing theatre to myself and was provided with the 64 and 85 Grey Cups to watch on the big screen.

So if you're ever in Toronto, it's well worth taking the trip to Hamilton. Make a day of it and watch some of the old games from the CFL's rich history. :beauty: